• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klee123

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: trolling
What a great piece of news to wake up to. Seeing people here in doomsday mode just made my morning.

gt123

Apr 2, 2021
You people look down on how much sony make from first party sales now
"You people" lol what kind of fanboy nonsense is this. I'm hoping this was something lost in translation. I'm not sure what I said besides Sony loses a chunk of profits if they lose CoD. You said revenue isn't the same as profits, which is correct, which is why I explained that CoD is basically pure profits. 1st party games don't sell as much CoD and they cost Sony money. I'm not saying that Sony is doomed and nowhere did I. I said this sucks for them. Sony isn't making Nintendo-level sales on first party games. Sorry for stating facts. Just to add, I've had a PS5 since day one and have been primarily PS since PS4.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
They don't need to when the games make millions in profit day 1.
While still selling for years even at a discount price .

This is under the assumption that Sony will be perfectly content with just the profit from their 1P output.

As that graph posted by Apathy shows, revenue/profit from 3P far exceed the $$$ brought in by just WWS, and that was just a single Quarter.

In a capitalistic environment, losing out on significant 3P support would be deemed a major failure by SIE/Sony.

Jul 2, 2021
The reactions in this thread lol

1.Sony will be fine even if they lose COD
2.Sony have a formula now that is super successful (even if i personally think it sucks since i dont enjoy their output much these days) but they appeal to the masses in a HUGE way. Take franchise, make it story focused with modern tropes (open world-spiderman, god of war-cinematic third person) and its basically guaranteed $$$
3. Sony doesnt need to buy capcom or square enix to survive. Stop it.

All Sony needs to do is keep doing their own thing. Like Nintendo. They will be fine.
They didn't just lose Call of Duty.
They lost Zenimax/Bethesda. They lost Activision-Blizzard. They will lose a few more 3rd party publishers in the next 5 - 10 years.
They only have 17 studios. But they want to compete with Game Pass and Nintendo's hybrid console and their mosters IPs? How?

Nintendo is doing their own thing, because their IP's are monsters and because Switch is a hybrid console.
Sony's target audience is the same Xbox has. The difference is Microsoft has Game Pass, 30+ AAA studios and some of the biggest IPs ever. Dozens of them.
Sony has TLOU, Uncharted, Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, God of War and GT7.
They don't own the Spider-Man and MLB license/IP. You can't fuel Spartacus with these ~7 successful AAA IPs.

They absolutely need to buy a publisher to stay relevant, get more content and compete. All these publishers will be gone in a few years. Acting like nothing happened didn't work for Sony Pictures or the Walkman. This industry is changing. Sony needs to change too, in a big way, or they're toast in 10 years.

Last edited:

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
You only cannot play these games if you cannot afford buying a Xbox, have a capable PC or playing it on cloud
I might have to settle for the PC version (even though mine has aged and has limited disk space). I will hate if this is one of their exclusives and I can't play it on PlayStation (my main console) just because of the Microsoft acquisition.

Not buying a console because your a fan of a brand it is stupid
Getting a PlayStation 5 is difficult and expensive enough, so no way am I buying an X-Box Series X. I have also never had much of an interest in being an X-Box player, since PlayStation and occasionally PC/mobile usually covers everything for me.

XB1NH0

Dec 7, 2017
I mean, wasn't this pretty obvious when MS announced a gaming subscription service for 10 bucks a month?

People are always bUt PhIl sAId yOU don'T HaVe tO wORry AbOuT SuStaiNabiLity but these comments will be looked back at the same way people who said "just don't buy it" to horse armour DLC back in the day.

Gamepass will be the next big push in parting people from their money after the fact. This time it won't be a 60$ game though, it will be a 10$ 25$ subscription.
Even 25$ per month and 50 million subscribers, I can't see GP profitable. Id like to know whats math MS are using.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Nintendo is doing their own thing, because their IP's are monsters and because Switch is a hybrid console.
Sony's target audience is the same Xbox has. The different is Microsoft has Game Pass, 30+ AAA studios and some of the biggest IPs ever. Dozens of them.
Sony has TLOU, Uncharted, Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, God of War and GT7.
They don't own the Spider-Man and MLB license/IP. You can't fuel Spartacus with these ~7 successful AAA IPs.

Yea, shit is dire as it stands right now.

SIE must really be banking on several of those AAA MP games currently in development.

Not sure how that approach will pay off, to be frank.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
They don't. Not to the degree that games like Call of Duty or GTA do, especially when they don't sell DLC for the majority of their titles.

It cannot be overstated how integral third party sales and extended revenue streams are to Sony's business model. This is WHY Sony kept locking down timed exclusive DLC and shit for Destiny and CoD.

Sony business model was changing which why they were investing so much into first party even during last gen .
Lets say COD and GOWR sell the same amount on PS in month one which one you think Sony get the most profit in the month.

Elfstruck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I might have to settle for the PC version (even though mine has aged and has limited disk space). I will hate if this is one of their exclusives and I can't play it on PlayStation (my main console) just because of the Microsoft acquisition.

Getting a PlayStation 5 is difficult and expensive enough, so no way am I buying an X-Box Series X. I have also never had much of an interest in being an X-Box player, since PlayStation and occasionally PC/mobile usually covers everything for me.
It all comes down to priorities. Do you like games coming from PS or MS more? It's life, sometimes you gotta make a choice. It's not fair, but it is what it is.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
If there keep to sell millions upon millions why won't they be able to keep on putting that sort of money in them .
Do you think HFW , GT7 and GOWR won't selll a huge amount and make profit day 1 and for the rest of the year .
To support there own studios ?

It's already been explained to you, CoD sells more than Sony's own IP. Sony gets a cut from that, and not just CoD but any third party game. Sony has lost all of Activision and all of Bethesda games now and don't get a cut from that anymore. This money is in turn used to pump a lot of money into Sony first party games. If Sony makes less money because it is missing third party revenue, they are going to have less money to invest into their own games, so the games cost and scope will have to come down.

It doesn't matter that GoW or Horizon make a lot of money, we know that, but you can't compare that to what 3rd parties bring in to the company

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I will never understand the "man, other people aren't happy about this gaming news, and that makes me happy!" mentality. I just don't get it.

Twisted sense of schadenfreude directed at fellow fans of the platform.

They probably don't care for AB or Bethesda games, which is why some are handwaving it away.

The greater market trends (consolidation and PS being cut off) is being ignored on purpose.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sony business model was changing which why they were investing so much into first party even during last gen .
Lets say COD and GOWR sell the same amount on PS in month one which one you think Sony get the most profit in the month.

They make 30% off of every COD sale on their platform, including game purchase, DLC, microtransactions, ect. It costs them $0 to develop and minimal to host it on the PSN store and their servers, which they easily recoup in PS+ subs.

They make 100% off of God of War sales but it costs millions on top of millions to make and that doesn't even include the marketing.

The revenue they will lose from COD is no joke.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
The same way the always pay for them with there first party budget there studios have .
Like when Sony first enter the business how do you think they were making games ?

The market conditions when they first entered the console space is irrelevant.

Profit from 3P games are what allows WWS to fund the obscene costs of AAA development in the current era.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
Was just watching CNBC. They said Microsoft made this acquisition now to get out in front of other Big Tech companies. They said Amazon, Netflix, Google, Facebook, etc, are all going to be competing in the future to make purchases for some of the last remaining major publishers to build out their own "metaverses".

CDPR, Roblox, EA, and Take Two were all mentioned as being potential acquisitions.

Sony is in serious jeopardy of getting locked out of far more IPs than those from Acvitision if they don't move. Their position in the future of gaming is on the line.
Tried to say this earlier, was told I was being dramatic.
There's blood in the water and the sharks are circling. Gaming is the next towel to be wrung by tech consolidation and they're actively scouring for in-roads.
If you see Sony as the last bastion for AAA, traditional console gaming, then you've gotta be nervous at their slow reactivity/responsiveness to the rapid changes occurring.

Jul 2, 2021
Even 25$ per month and 50 million subscribers, I can't see GP profitable. Id like to know whats math MS are using.
Trying to reach 3 billion gamers. On consoles, PC, mobile, TV apps, tablets, toasters...
50 million subs is nothing. They already have 25 million and Game Pass barely started. Hundreds of millions. Netflix of gaming:

COD.

Josh5890

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The same way the always pay for them with there first party budget there studios have .
Like when Sony first enter the business how do you think they were making games ?

Sony's first party output was not big by any means. Playstation 1 became popular and valuable for Sony because literally every 3rd party jumped ship from Nintendo and Sega and made games for the PS1. Sony made far more from licensing with 3rd parties than they did with their own game sales.

Even Sony's PS2 first party studio games weren't big sellers outside of Gran Turismo. Their first party studios didn't start to move the needle until mid-PS3 gen.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
The reactions in this thread lol

1.Sony will be fine even if they lose COD
2.Sony have a formula now that is super successful (even if i personally think it sucks since i dont enjoy their output much these days) but they appeal to the masses in a HUGE way. Take franchise, make it story focused with modern tropes (open world-spiderman, god of war-cinematic third person) and its basically guaranteed $$$
3. Sony doesnt need to buy capcom or square enix to survive. Stop it.

All Sony needs to do is keep doing their own thing. Like Nintendo. They will be fine.
You are on the far end of the other spectrum of the people who you are criticizing.

You are posting as in "everything is ok" for Sony indefinitely. While we can't tell the future, based on what we know now, Sony needs to act one way or another. They are not Nintendo. I dont know if you know but Nintendo has always been doing its own shit (whether good or bad) while Sony and MS have always been competing on the same level. One wrong move from one of them has severe consequences. (Look back at Xbox One reveal/launch) Nintendo relatively speaking can always depend on the console or mobile portion of the market. They could bomb via the WiiU but keep going thanks to the strong 3DS sales etc. (Gamecube/GBA ect)

Anyways if anything MS could theoretically neuter Sony and make them "dead last" if they keep taking 3rd party support from them. Go to the latest NPD thread. COD was number 1 and 2 on the sales chart. (Not counting the other IP/games from MS) The fact you dismiss this is insane. Just cause you personally don't play COD or think it sucks, it's irrelevant. Millions of people "gamers" like it and buy it yearly. That is a fact not an opinion. The chart is right there for you to see.

Sony could keep Playstation brand alive via 1st party but it could stop being the juggernaut it is now. Sure you " think" that's OK but going from #1 to 2nd or 3rd because MS is knee capping you isn't a joke to Sony Corp. One of the most profitable segments all of the sudden is not. That will have repercussions from top to bottom.

Additionally Playstation as a brand has had 3rd party support as it's backbone. You really can't pretend Playstation will be the same lacking all the 3rd party games it once had and enjoyed from.its partners. "But why JC are you acting like this is the end for Sony? They still have EA, Ubi, Take 2, Capcom, SE etc etc! You bugging". My answer? MS just dropped 70B to remove a major player from Sony's partners. That's why. That means MS could do the same next year. And the next. And the next. There is no stopping this. So yeah we can pretend everything is all good and stuff but if Sony doesn't respond (any way, doesn't matter small or big), they will be in big trouble. MS isn't about to stop until they just buy Sony out of the market. They can't win fair so may as well take ever publisher/studio off the market completely even if it's to stop Sony from being a competitor in the industry. That's still a win for MS.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

By subsidizing the losses they accrued from manufacturing and producing hardware and developing games with the third party revenue and licensing fees they gained from having third party software on the PS1.

Like...Sony's first-party games were not the reason people bought the PS1. It was Tony Hawk, Tekken and Final Fantasy and shit that made the PS1 big, not Twisted Metal.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I mean personally Acti going is no loss at all to me. Maybe the last Acti game I bought (outside of Destiny) was Diable 3 on the PS3 lol. And Ubisoft and EA are awful too. However they are a huge and popular publisher for the vast majority.

But are they even a great get when you already had all their games on your system. Blizzard seems a terrible company and Acti are also seemingly badly run and managed. CoD is not as popular as it used to be either.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, from an entitled perspective.
Why is it "entitled" for someone who has been playing COD on PS for 16 years to be expecting to continue doing so? It's a completely reasonable expectation for them to have.

Well, this could also light a fire under Sony's ass to make some moves to the delight of their fans.
It will light a fire for them to buy more studios, which is not delightful whatsoever.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017

I understand that, I can't justify having to consoles because of the time I have to play . I have a permanent decision, I can say that with my age, of, not ever need a Nintendo console. The decision always was between Xbox and PS. The only generation that I consider the Xbox was in PS2:Xbox 360, the PS3 and PS4 was easy for Sony. This generation with gamepass I was starting to look to Xbox, Bestheda acquisition made me change. But was I said nothing, but myself, stops me to playing games on the PS, I hope that Spartacus could have games on the cloud and I can play a couple of games without the owning to consoles.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
It's already been explained to you, CoD sells more than Sony's own IP. Sony gets a cut from that, and not just CoD but any third party game. Sony has lost all of Activision and all of Bethesda games now and don't get a cut from that anymore. This money is in turn used to pump a lot of money into Sony first party games. If Sony makes less money because it is missing third party revenue, they are going to have less money to invest into their own games, so the games cost and scope will have to come down.

It doesn't matter that GoW or Horizon make a lot of money, we know that, but you can't compare that to what 3rd parties bring in to the company

I am not saying other wise i am saying Sony need more GOWR and Horizion IP.
That way losing COD won't matter as much since they get all the profit from the game and can grow there first party more.
This is what Sony did during the PS4 gen .

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Man we not about to act like Sony cares more about God of War than CoD. The thing people need to understand not just in regards to the PlayStation's "value" when Sony ports games to PC but now with its "value" when games are taken away to go elsewhere, is that people outside of message board users who can only think of consoles in terms of first-party games don't buy fucking PlayStations for GoW, or Uncharted or Horizon or whatever. Sony isn't Nintendo. People buy PlayStations for CoD, FIFA and GTA. Who gives a shit about God of War when one of those goes away? It is actually insignificant.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
I honestly wouldn't even put that one in the running. Capcom and Square Ennix seem unlikely, but are still technically a possibility. However, Konami and WB Games are in the "definitely won't happen" category.

It all comes down to priorities. Do you like games coming from PS or MS more? It's life, sometimes you gotta make a choice. It's not fair, but it is what it is.
That's the thing. All of the exclusive games and DLC I like have always gone to PlayStation or PC, which is why this is annoying. Since Bethesda doesn't own the Indiana Jones IP, I hope it receives a multiplatform release due to Lucasfilm's involvement. But this console war shit is starting to annoy me, not to mention over-monopolising is not good for the industry.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
what?
profit is total revenues- total costs. We can't say wich is more profitable without numbers of these variables. 0 cost doesn't mean profit or bigger profit than a first party game.

Using the example that poster had, with God of War selling 10 million copies on PS5 and CoD selling the same amount in the same period of time? Yes. Blatantly, CoD would be more profit than God of War because God of War's profits would have to account for the game's entire marketing and development budget vs...next to nothing CoD would cost them. The actual profit per unit sold is not a lot in this industry, which is WHY so many pubs are leaning into GaaS and other methods of recurring revenue.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
Was just watching CNBC. They said Microsoft made this acquisition now to get out in front of other Big Tech companies. They said Amazon, Netflix, Google, Facebook, etc, are all going to be competing in the future to make purchases for some of the last remaining major publishers to build out their own "metaverses".

CDPR, Roblox, EA, and Take Two were all mentioned as being potential acquisitions.

Sony is in serious jeopardy of getting locked out of far more IPs than those from Acvitision if they don't move. Their position in the future of gaming is on the line.
This sounds even worse than the buyout tbh.

Gaming industry getting metaversed.

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
There's so much bullshit in this thread already, so I won't even entertain the negativity and hyperbole. Here's my somewhat informed take on how I feel about the acquisition and how Sony could respond to this.

My Take on Activision-Blizzard:
Undoubtedly, this acquisition is monstrous and honestly is a little concerning as a gamer. I don't see gaming improving because more games are on Game Pass. I don't care how many games are on Game Pass. What is concerning to me is how much control a platform holder could acquire in the gaming industry. It's obvious Microsoft is testing to see how much they could get away with this and the long-term consequences of them succeeding does not look very pretty. It compels all conglomerates, including Sony, to make similar transformative moves and will barrel the industry towards a small number of corporations owning large swaths of the industry. I personally don't give a shit if Sony is in "third place", whatever the fuck that means. I'm not in it to root for whoever is going to get the highest percentage in the market share and making theatrical posts about how Sony is screwed is not constructive by any means. However, it is important to recognize that these sorts of acquisitions do adversely impact non-Xbox platforms and basically twists their hands to allow Game Pass on their platform in some capacity if they really want to keep those games. Microsoft is going well beyond competing with Sony and entering a position where they would determine the future of the gaming industry.

As a gamer, I don't want one company influencing how I should be consuming games and it sours my perception of Game Pass if this is the route they want to take. Knowing Microsoft's history of conducting business, I guarantee they want to go this route where anyone would be foolish not to subscribe to Game Pass if they want to get into gaming. I don't want it to be a Windows situation where if you have a PC, you basically have no choice but to use Windows unless I want to learn how to use Linux. While I had no issue with Microsoft buying Bethesda as I understood that was due to them being a private company being sold off by their owners, this acquisition feels like a deliberate power grab (and yes, technically all acquisitions are power grabs, but this goes well beyond what we could imagine). That being said, my concerns don't represent everyone and I can see how Game Pass subscribers are thrilled to have Activision games come to the service.

My Likely-Dumb Take on Sony:
Now, onto the Sony question: It's important to know two things:

1.) Sony is by no means ignorant to the fact that the gaming industry is rapidly consolidating. Their executives have stated this recently. This means that their internal strategy must have shifted to accommodate for this altering market. The reason why they made those acquisitions last year is because they want to defend their closest development partners from other buyers. They are fully aware of the changing tides.

2.) Sony wants to maintain their status as a premier dedicated gaming platform. Jim Ryan has stated on numerous occasions that he wants PS5 to be the biggest PlayStation console. I don't think they would be willing to relinquish that just because they don't want to spend money. Especially since Kenichiro Yoshida recently said something along the lines that he doesn't want Sony to appear frugal when it comes to M&A. SIE is an undervalued division of Sony Group, but I think the company is starting to notice it's time to take advantage of that.

With these two things in mind, how could Sony possibly defend their position as the premier dedicated gaming platform when their competitors are running circles around them as far as expansion goes? Well, we need to contextualize that Microsoft is still playing catch-up. Microsoft is not dominating Sony in the gaming sector and even after this acquisition, they still won't be above Sony as far as revenue goes, though they will be a hell of a lot closer. Of course, market share is a different story, but that still doesn't really illustrate a situation where Sony is falling behind. However, Sony's status as the top dedicated gaming platform is no longer safe, so they have to act.

First, we have to get rid of the notion that Sony simply cannot spend that much money. Cash on hand doesn't represent how much a company can spend. Sony could have acquired Activision, but they would be in a different financial situation afterwards since they would have to pay off the debt (which they still afford but the less debt the better). That being said, that doesn't necessarily mean Sony will buy a big publisher like Take-Two just to stick it to Microsoft. They don't operate like Microsoft where they could throw tens of billions of dollars at multiple companies every year. Conversely, Sony is not exactly in a position where they could expand their other divisions by a lot either. Sony Music is basically a monopoly and is extremely diversified. Sony Pictures is also incredibly diversified, though they have some room for growth. SIE on the other hand is due for major expansion and diversification.

Mobile gaming, PC gaming, cloud gaming, VR, GaaS, subscription services, and, yes, mergers and acquisitions are pretty plainly all on the agenda for Sony. With King and Zynga getting swept up, I can anticipate Sony buying a mobile games publisher to expedite their mobile ambitions. Ironically, I was considering Zynga as a potential target, but, you know. Sony could still buy large mobile gaming studios and publishers, but it would be more competitive as every gaming company in the world is hunting for the same thing. As for PC gaming, I honestly think Epic Games could be a wise investment because they have a PC gaming marketplace and a lot of great assets in the technology sector, which could benefit other Sony divisions. I don't know if Tim Sweeney wants to sell his company, but he could get a sweet deal from Sony and considering how fucking wild consolidation could be, anything is possible. Now, of course I don't think this is something I want either (nor do I think it's a certainty), but it's the unfortunate reality. Sony doesn't want to be dormant while everyone is buying up important business partners to PlayStation, especially if Microsoft is doing it.

Conclusion to this Wall of Words:
So with all this doom and gloom, people should know this year should be considerably more active for PlayStation than any other previous year. It is easy to tell that Sony doesn't want to be absent in this rampant consolidation, so they will act accordingly, but they will do so in a less predictable manner. I don't think the more popular culprits like Square Enix or Take-Two will be acquired, but who knows to be quite honest? Take-Two (just bought Zynga) and EA (just bought Codemasters) want to participate in the battle for consolidation, so it's not very likely they would be gobbled up. What remains clear is that Microsoft is changing the game in the industry, for better or for worse. I'm not a fan of where it's heading, but at least we're still getting Horizon Forbidden West and God of War, so who fucking cares, right?
Great post!

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
Again, what point do you not understand about this. It doesn't matter if this forum doesn't care or blacklists Activision games for their shit. CoD sells, it's massive. We are such a minority in the grand scheme of gaming on this forum. This has ramifications when it comes to money. Sony no longer will get a 30% cut of CoD games sold, it will no longer get 30% of DLC and microtransactions, people that only play CoD/Fifa/Madden every year will move to the platform that does have it and Sony will no longer get their PS+ sub money. And this is just CoD, let alone anything else Activision releases.

You say "so what"? The reason why Sony can go and invest crazy amounts into first party games is because of the revenue that is brought in by services. And if you don't think that is big, check it out yourself: https://www.resetera.com/threads/so...deo-game-history-hardware-rev-287-yoy.506574/

6VzwXRN.png

And this is for 1 quarter

Less money coming in because of third party sales IS going to affect Sony. It means that eventually they will not be able to pump in as much money into their own first party games. Like it or not, Sony needs big third party games that sell millions. It's not going to be making that money simply from first party games that do 5-10 million.

ok, then. Sony is doom because of heir lost CoD. You said it. There is fifa and GTA. Imagine Sony without a lot lab for this? Of course Sony knew about this.

Elfstruck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They make 30% off of every COD sale on their platform, including game purchase, DLC, microtransactions, ect. It costs them $0 to develop and minimal to host it on the PSN and their servers, which they easily recoup in PS+ subs.

They make 100% off of God of War sales but it costs millions on top of millions to make and that doesn't even include the marketing.

The revenue they will lose from COD is no joke.
Yes, it's a big loss. However, yall are acting like Sony will bow out of business if they don't act now. If they are 3rd place in the future behind MS/Nintendo, so what? I guess they would lose the bragging right and probably some marketing deals because they are not the market leader.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how long Sony will be able to keep attempting the moneyhat game. If MS buys out the companies, their moneyhats continue to keep being moot. Sony has made moneyhat/console exclusivity deals with over half a dozen games that are now under MS's umbrella.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I am not saying other wise i am saying Sony need more GOWR and Horizion IP.
That way losing COD won't matter as much since they get all the profit from the game and can grow there first party more.
This is what Sony did during the PS4 gen .

3P support carried Sony throughout the entirety of the PS4 gen, not WWS.

How exactly do you expect them to grow GoW and Horizon fast enough to makeup for the loss of all these major 3P software?

Especially given how long WWS typically take to put out AAA games?

Jul 2, 2021
If MS forces Sony's hand to change one thing about their output I hope I get what I want. Shorter games released more frequently.
And new genres. More RPGs and first-person shooters like when they made Resistance.
Sony getting Square-Enix for all the japanese RPGs would be huge (for me).
Man we not about to act like Sony cares more about God of War than CoD. The thing people need to understand not just in regards to the PlayStation's "value" when Sony ports games to PC but now with its "value" when games are taken away to go elsewhere, is that people outside of message board users who can only think of consoles in terms of first-party games don't buy fucking PlayStations for GoW, or Uncharted or Horizon or whatever. Sony isn't Nintendo. People buy PlayStations for CoD, FIFA and GTA. Who gives a shit about God of War when one of those goes away? It is actually insignificant.
Exactly this.

Josh5890

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's a big loss. However, yall are acting like Sony will bow out of business if they don't act now. If they are 3rd place in the future behind MS/Nintendo, so what? I guess they would lose the bragging right and probably some marketing deals because they are not the market leader.

Please quote me where I said at any point today that Sony is in danger of bowing out of buisness.

Status
Not open for further replies.