• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Sony's biggest acquisition as of today is 2.3B $ for EMI. Take Two post Zynga deal will be a monumental 30+B $ acquisition. Easy is definitely the wrong word here. I think the price tag is almost prohibitive actually. While technically possible, people have to realize Sony is more than just PlayStation. Even Capcom would be roughly 3 times the amount they spend on their biggest deal yet.

Well time are changing have to see if Sony willing go with them .
Even for MS that spends a lot of money this was 2.5 times large than the biggest buy before now.

Jul 2, 2021
It would be infinitely more entertaining seeing people having mental breakdowns if Sony ends up doing nothing in the near-future. I'm praying for the health of PS OT's, though.
I don't see mental breakdowns here. What happened today didn't happen in the last 25 years. Today was a gigantic bombshell.
The last big thing that was similar was the announcement of Microsoft entering the console biz with the Xbox.

This acquisition will change a lot. For Xbox. For Sony's PlayStation. And especially for the whole video game industry.
So it's not really suprising that everyone is talking about it. Speculating what's going to happen now and in a few years.
Sony fans. Nintendo fans. Microsoft fans. Gaming fans in general.

Oct 28, 2017
Mate, you are trying to hard on this one.

GTA is way bigger for both core and casual users. Once GTA6 is announced you will know.

GTA is the Avatar film(s). It's a popular cultural event. Everyone goes to see it every decade. Cod is the Marvel film that is released every year and earns a billion.

Financially, COD has generated $27b in revenue. Financially, the two aren't even comparable.

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
People are forgetting this. We could have made the same argument with MS, that their biggest acquisition was $9 billion, be realistic, but $9 billion is the biggest... until it's not.

After today, no acquisition announcement is shocking to me.

Here's where I disagree:

GTA is that many years because it's that much of a monster. You don't need a yearly release.
GTA Online is every year

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
A lot of Doom ad Gloom. Let's wait and see. If people think that Sony wasn't aware of this move, they are wrong. Of course Sony needs a back up payment lab to compensate this.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft ain't getting these japanese companies that easily. Japan's goverment would know that these deals are aimed at and would damage a huge and important japanese conglomerate (Sony). I don't see that passing, at least not for companies as big as Capcom and Square.

Japanese antitrust laws are no joke. https://www.jftc.go.jp/en/legislation_gls/amended_ama09/index.html - https://www.jftc.go.jp/en/policy_enforcement/21041301.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3kVuyAOIdqUzbplyGSCu2gfJzUl9ykXv04_S_YSxd5BT3-ovleURk7Zso

Last edited:

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
This last one did what if GTA 6 is not as succesful? CoD has it highs and lows but it's consistent for the most part.

You really believe that?

Also, it wasn't just 10 years of nothing. GTA Online was heavily supported and RDR2 also came out during that time. So Rockstar could put out 2 GTAs in 10 years if they were tasked to only work on GTA.

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
I mean that is the long game by MS and they will raise there sub price . ( just look at Netflix )
They way how games will made and certain aspect will change for this new model .
Like for eg SP games can broken down into chapters for ever month to keep you sub.
Yeah... Also, I think a lot of companies are going to have to create GaaS models (to be sustainable) and make more single-player games by episodes... And above all, wait for the pay check of the owners of the subscription services. The future of this industry looks grimm Imo.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
The PlayStation business represents too significant a slice of all of Sony Corps' revenue and profit for them to not consider spending big, even if they don't want to. The PS business is too important for them not to react.
I don't understand why people don't grasp this
Sony's biggest acquisition as of today is 2.3B $ for EMI. Take Two post Zynga deal will be a monumental 30+B $ acquisition. Easy is definitely the wrong word here. I think the price tag is almost prohibitive actually. While technically possible, people have to realize Sony is more than just PlayStation. Even Capcom would be roughly 3 times the amount they spend on their biggest deal yet.
Geeze. The EMI purchase was 10 years ago, yes Sony can spend more money than that now. And while Sony is a conglomerate, PlayStation is it's largest pie piece. This is a direct attack on where Sony get's it's money from, yes, the company can pump a lot of money into buying something if they want.

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
Mate, you are trying to hard on this one.

GTA is way bigger for both core and casual users. Once GTA6 is announced you will know.
GTA is insane. But it sells 150M across 10 years, while COD does 20-30M annually. Rockstar games are a once a generation kind of event now.
This move affects Sony as a whole, not just SIE. The PS business represent too significant of a portion of Sony's profits for them to sit back and allow it to shrink b being muscled out by MS. Shareholders will demand some response.
They will get a response of course. Just not a "lets spend twice our 3-year M&A budget on a single move" kind of response. That's a fight they can't win. Microsoft is determined to create the Netflix of gaming, and they are prepared to put the entire financial might of the company behind that goal. They have to find other ways to stay relevant.

CowboyAloy

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
United States
Honestly, I still can't stop thinking about it. Microsoft now own Activision. PS will no longer see COD games on their systems. To make it even weirder, the two franchises that propped up PS during the early days of the PS1 (Crash Bandicoot and Spyro) are now owned by Microsoft.

The mood feels sour and I hate this direction the industry is moving in. Kind of worried where PS goes from here.
You're not alone in that feeling. It feels like Sony is backed into a corner at this point, and after such a strong generation it is hard to swallow.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
An M&A doesn't happen overnight. The Activision Blizzard deal, just like Bethesda has been in discussions for a long while now. Even if Sony were to acquire a Capcom or Square Enix for 15-20B, we won't hear about it for months.

The main thing this puts a major dent on is Sony's upcoming subscription service. You just cannot compete directly with Microsoft here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
GTA is insane. But it sells 150M across 10 years, while COD does 20-30M annually. Rockstar games are a once a generation kind of event now.
Disingenous post... GTA would sell more boxed sales if GTA had more sequels on a more consistent basis.

But since this is about money and not sales, go look at how much revenue and profit GTA Online rakes in every year. Lets not pretend end user sales are the be all and end all of these things. That's such an outdated way of thinking...

The model of gaming I prefer (Sony's focus on high quality single-player games) will likely not be a thing any more by 2030. Rather than agonize over why that is, I'm fully prepared to retire from gaming as whole over the next few years. It wouldn't hurt some of you to prepare to do the same.
While I do see the tides turning for certain sorts of games over the years, retiring is exagerating a bit no? My backlog wont magically disappear any time soon and I've proven to myself over and over that Im very happy to just play Capcom and Sega's back catalogues through for now and forever... I'll just shift to play what I want and leave it at that. I refuse to believe in the next however many years you all will play every single game you'll ever want to play (and if you do - you either have an insanely narrow taste of games or a lot of time on your hands!)

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021

They will get a response of course. Just not a "lets spend twice our 3-year M&A budget on a single move" kind of response. That's a fight they can't win. Microsoft is determined to create the Netflix of gaming, and they are prepared to put the entire financial might of the company behind that goal. They have to find other ways to stay relevant.
Microsoft is spending anyway. Sony spending isn't going cause them to buy more publishers. They're already doing that. It's about stopping the bleeding now

Jul 2, 2021
I get what you are all saying. It's just crazy to me that we could get an announcement of a major publisher being acquired & it wouldn't be a surprise because "we had to buy them". It's a completely new game being played now.
Yes because that's what's happening now. What happened in the movie industry will now happen with the gaming industry. Consolidation. And this happens once every trillion years. Lol.
It's a different game now. And Sony has to decide NOW what they want. Compete for the number one spot and be fine with becoming #3 as long as you still make some profit.
With easy I mean they have the money. Roughly $50 million cash-on-hand. They can if they want. IF they want.
This last one did what if GTA 6 is not as succesful? CoD has it highs and lows but it's consistent for the most part.
GTA6 will be even bigger than GTA5. Lol. People now know how awesome GTA Online is. And GTA is bigger than ever before.
GTA6 will break records left and right.

Elog

Oct 21, 2020
Why are people so gloomy? MS still has less gaming revenue than Sony and those revenues include a lot of dying cash-cows (e.g. WoW) as well as games that are really in the betting-like segment such as Candy Crush. In addition, MS has acquired two companies with various levels of challenges and problems including actual quality game output. I think it will be challenging for MS to actually recoup all this money as a positive return on investment.

This is not to downplay today's events but merely stating that MS is still playing catch-up to a significant degree.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I still can't stop thinking about it. Microsoft now own Activision. PS will no longer see COD games on their systems. To make it even weirder, the two franchises that propped up PS during the early days of the PS1 (Crash Bandicoot and Spyro) are now owned by Microsoft.

The mood feels sour and I hate this direction the industry is moving in. Kind of worried where PS goes from here.
Yeah, same.

I'm very worried about Sony now.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Today, Microsoft announced that there are 25 million gamepass subscribers.

If all of those subs pay $15 per month, that's $375million per month.

I know there is the trick to get gamepass for $1, but how many of those 25million subs used that trick? Most people probably pay the full amount on a recurring monthly payment and probably have no idea that the $1 trick exist/s/ed.

If buying Activision puts Call of Duty on Gamepass day 1, their bet is those 25million subs may grow to 30 or maybe 40 million subs. So hypothetically that's an increase of $225million per month in new gamepass subscriptions on top of the existing ones.

Their goal is to increase the number of Gamepass subs as much as possible. Grow the service as much as possible and they will make that money back.

I know I would love to have Gamepass available on Switch. Someday. Maybe...

They not making back that 70 billion any time soon , it just write off as investment for GP .
Just look at Netflix when it comes to profit etc etc .
Still for MS that don't matter since don't care if take 10 or 20 years they see this as the future and they have cash to try and make it happen .

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people so gloomy? MS still has less gaming revenue than Sony and those revenues include a lot of dying cash-cows (e.g. WoW) as well as games that are really in the betting-like segment such as Candy Crush. In addition, MS has acquired two companies with various levels of challenges and problems including actual quality game output. I think it will be challenging for MS to actually recoup all this money as a positive return on investment.

This is not to downplay today's events but merely stating that MS is still playing catch-up to a significant degree.

The problem is that it's not just Microsoft's gain, it's also Sony's loss. They're going to lose a ton of revenue, third party sales and CONSOLE SALES because of this. This is going to cause a user bleed from PS to XB that Sony has no way of stemming, especially if they don't do anything to fight back.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Oof, I expected some dooming and glooming in here but sounds like Sony's about to go out of business next week 😄

Oct 29, 2017
They not making back that 70 billion any time soon , it just write off as investment for GP .
Just look at Netflix when it comes to profit etc etc .
Still for MS that don't matter since don't care if take 10 or 20 years they see this as the future and they have cash to try and make it happen .

Oh no I definitely agree, they won't get that $70bill back soon. But it will definitely be a good investment into GP, agreed.

Jul 25, 2020
At the same time, there's a lot of people that can't even buy a PS4, that's the really in my country, Brazil, but then comes the gamepass with a cheap subscription with games playable in a smartphone, that's much more accessible than a PS5, a luxury item with luxury price games, Gamepass is a turning point for people in the third world

I very much agree with the point you're making. I don't think gaming should be exclusive to more developed economies.

But at the same time, doesn't the Brazilian government put stupid and I mean ridiculous amounts of tax on these things? Not just the consoles but the software etc?

I read that's why the MegaDrive was still a huge console there well into the 2000's.

Does the currency conversion play a part here? And does PlayStation Now work in Brazil?

MisterP𝕏L

Jul 10, 2019
Let's be serious... A simple publisher (as big as it is) such as Take-Two was able to release more than 12 billion and Sony could not release at least as much? Especially if they knew they were in danger following such a takeover by Microsoft?

Sony could afford Ubisoft without the slightest difficulty.

For that, Ubisoft has to want it and Sony too. This is just one example.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The problem is that it's not just Microsoft's gain, it's also Sony's loss. They're going to lose a ton of revenue, third party sales and CONSOLE SALES because of this. This is going to cause a user bleed from PS to XB that Sony has no way of stemming, especially if they don't do anything to fight back.
They've got a bunch of MP shooters in development now (TLOU2 Factions, Guerilla, Firewalk, Deviation, Firesprite). It's increasingly important now that at least one of those hits it big.

Jul 2, 2021
The model of gaming I prefer (Sony's focus on high quality single-player games) will likely not be a thing any more by 2030. Rather than agonize over why that is, I'm fully prepared to retire from gaming as whole over the next few years. It wouldn't hurt some of you to prepare to do the same.
If Sony decides to compete and get a publisher or two, well then Spartacus has a chance to be huge.
They can keep making singleplayer and multiplayer games. 50/50.
Sony is already changing right now. If I'm counting correctly Sony has like 10 AAA multiplayer games in development atm.
So the DLC/multiplayer trend already started with Jim Ryan and Hermen Hulst on top.
An M&A doesn't happen overnight. The Activision Blizzard deal, just like Bethesda has been in discussions for a long while now. Even if Sony were to acquire a Capcom or Square Enix for 15-20B, we won't hear about it for months.
It happened pretty quick. Discussions started in November 2021, according to Phil Spencer and Bobby Kotick.
Only two whole months!

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018

I think we're at a point where it's crucial for Sony to own that one of a kind game in their portfolio. Be it GTA or be it Fortnite.

Microsoft owns COD now.

Sony will have to spend money, if they like it or not. They will have to spend way more than they expected to. That's the reality of the market. But they have to make sure that one huge IP will by synonymous with PlayStation. That way not even CoD players will leave the platform because they still want to play something like GTA.

GTA sold 155 million, RDR2 did also around 40 million? Thats almost 195 million sales in 10 years. Now imagine if they released 2 GTA's instead of RDR2. We would be talking around 250 million sales. That's on par with COD sales over 10 years.

But GTA will bring in more players into your platform than COD would.

Oct 28, 2017
According to estimates that are available online (TakeTwo do not give specific date for GTA anymore), the game earns about $1b a year in revenue. Call of Duty is estimated to earn twice that a year in revenue.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
that's why I said merge. PlayStation + Epic + Tencent can work against MS.
Or as you said Disney or Netflix getting involved.
MS+Actib is $20b revenue. Tencent+Playstation would be $56b revenue. Why would you want the "competition" to have more than twice as much market share?

Status
Not open for further replies.