• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Is this real life? Guys, get a grip. My goodness.
It's tough for many to wake to this news. It's massive and game-changing like the Bethesda buy.
Not sure if this was shared.

It has, and it's really funny.
Hard to counter GP when some of THE biggest and most famous IPs are exclusive on GP.
Dude, it's going to be exceptionally hard for them to counter GP now. I have no idea how they do it with what they have. Don't get me wrong, I love those Sony exclusives, but with COD, Diablo, OW, Crash, Spyro, and WoW with the addition of Bethesda is going to be an uphill battle. Also, they own Sekiro, too, so they have their Bloodborne counter. Corrected by PlanetSmasher about the Sekiro IP. From owns the IP.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Dude, it's going to be exceptionally hard for them to counter GP now. I have no idea how they do it with what they have. Don't get me wrong, I love those Sony exclusives, but with COD, Diablo, OW, Crash, Spyro, and WoW with the addition of Bethesda is going to be an uphill battle. Also, they own Sekiro, too, so they have their Bloodborne counter.

Activision doesn't own the Sekiro IP.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this was shared.

EOd2yjnUwAAIck9.jpg

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
Big lol If they announce a fucking State of Play at the situation. It's time to see something about Spartacus or other big guns.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
None of those are more enticing than GTA. Its literally the only non Nintendo franchise they could shoot for which could counter an Xbox only COD. I vastly prefer Japanese games, but there's not a single one that compares. Bungie? Remedy? Lol, not even close... And after the whole Cyberpunk shit show... I'm somewhat doubtful that CDPR is worth it, especially compared to T2 of all companies.

When you don't have as much money as your competitor, it's not feasible to use the same strategy of buying the biggest ip you can afford.

Bungie has the pedigree of fps games and won't cost that much relatively. Remedy would be similar to Insomniac acquisition, they seem to be on the up.

CDPR is expensive, disn't realize they are that expansive, probably cost not much less than T2. Might as well go with one that has GTA.

Oct 28, 2017
Going to be so interesting to see how Sony responds to all this...

I don't think they necessarily have to buy out some big publisher, but there's no doubt they have to double nay triple down on their efforts to produce high class first party titles.

But really it's all about IP, the best chance Sony has to counteract this kind of consolidation is to be responsible for the next big thing. The next CoD, the next Fortnite etc...

How much does it cost to build a new studio from the ground up? How many would $70b buy you?

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Yep. Anyone awaiting the day where regulators step in and stop MS should probably just not get their hopes up. If your concern is about console gaming, there's nothing to stop this kind of consolidation. The average consumer in this scenario is simply expected to accept new paradigms because you still have the option to play the games on a PC or on your phone, and everyone has one of those. Regulators will not see that as anti-consumer practice.

It depends on what they consider to be the relevant market. The judge in the Epic vs Apple case defined the relevant market as mobile gaming, so pretty narrowly compared to apps in general or gaming as a whole. That said, as long as Microsoft is in third place in the console market it is unlikely to encounter much resistance from regulators.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
It's tough for many to wake to this news. It's massive and game-changing like the Bethesda buy.

Dude, it's going to be exceptionally hard for them to counter GP now. I have no idea how they do it with what they have. Don't get me wrong, I love those Sony exclusives, but with COD, Diablo, OW, Crash, Spyro, and WoW with the addition of Bethesda is going to be an uphill battle. Also, they own Sekiro, too, so they have their Bloodborne counter.
Didn't From Software retain Sekiro's ip ownership back then?

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
Four moves Sony could take to really shakeup the industry:

1) M/A with Epic Games Studios — this would be a huge chess move since many of MS studios now rely on Unreal Engine. Sony also has a vested interest in Epic and a great business relationship. Also, I believe the push for internet 3.0 VR services would benefit both companies.

2) M/A with TakeTwo — bring back GTA exclusively to PlayStation. It is the biggest, most important IP in the world.

3) Nintendo merger — Nintendo is very far behind in the inevitable streaming future MS is forcing the industry into. Sony is at the midpoint between MS and Nintendo on this front. These two Japanese conglomerates merging to bring Sony/Nintendo IP to an improved streaming service would be enough to remain dominant in the market.

4) Multiple acquisitions of mid-tier Japanese publishers/studios — think Sega, Square, FromSoft, Capcom.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Buying SE and/or Capcom wouldn't be about countering CoD. Only EA or T2 can do that. It's about building up your FP which Sony needs to do going forward. They need all the IP and franchises they can get their hand on. Small studios simply cannot compete or they'll be run out of the industry

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Honestly, the way things are going, it's starting to feel like unless you're a hardcore, dyed-in-the-wool "I only play Nintendo games" type, you're gonna wind up getting stuck buying an Xbox console at some point this gen.

It's not a counter, it would be a protective buyout to ensure they don't lose those teams and their games too. That's the risk from here on out, that any major third party publisher and its games could just get wiped off of PS for good with nothing to replace them.

Also, Monster Hunter and FFXIV (while it's already a soft exclusive, that could change any minute now).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't From Software retain Sekiro's ip ownership back then?

They did, it was foundational to From choosing to work with Activision in the first place because Namco Bandai retained ownership of Dark Souls and Elden Ring and Sony owns Demon's Souls and Bloodborne. They wanted an IP they got to keep ownership of and Activision allowed it.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
100% joking, he isn't in a position to know what acquisition is coming next.
And ABK was the most expensive publisher out there… They are 10x more expensive than Ubi, SE, Capcom…

Bigger news than that: Sony buying Nintendo (or Sony getting bought by Apple/Amazon) :-D

It's hype talk. We're not getting a bigger story than this in 2022.

That would be the only acquisition larger/more impactful than this, but it'd be 100% anti-trust since it's a consolidation of 2 major platform holders. Not a chance in hell, and Gary would have no insight. He's likely trolling about something he does know that is related to a game in light of this news; good way to bring publicity to whatever it is though, lol.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017

1) M/A with Epic Games Studios — this would be a huge chess move since many of MS studios now rely on Unreal Engine. Sony also has a vested interest in Epic and a great business relationship. Also, I believe the push for internet 3.0 VR services would benefit both companies.

2) M/A with TakeTwo — bring back GTA exclusively to PlayStation. It is the biggest, most important IP in the world.

3) Nintendo merger — Nintendo is very far behind in the inevitable streaming future MS is forcing the industry into. Sony is at the midpoint between MS and Nintendo on this front. These two Japanese conglomerates merging to bring Sony/Nintendo IP to an improved streaming service would be enough to remain dominant in the market.

4) Multiple acquisitions of mid-tier Japanese publishers/studios — think Sega, Square, FromSoft, Capcom.
Option 4.

Jul 2, 2021
Ms will not buy any big Japanese publisher.
They will tbh.
They simply can't. What they have to do know is getting a huge publisher too with a few big IPs.
If they don't, it's #3 place forever. Or even becoming a 3rd party publisher next-gen.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Guys, I don't think you need to be in such a panic mode. PlayStation will be fine. Xbox survived the Xbox One generation. And Sony is still about to bring you some very strong titles. I would not enjoy a race of publishers being bought out by all the platform holders. I said a few pages earlier that I don't support this acquisition but I also really hope this won't become an arms race from here on. We'd probably all end up with three or four subscriptions in the end and with a lack of multi-platform games.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Dude, it's going to be exceptionally hard for them to counter GP now. I have no idea how they do it with what they have. Don't get me wrong, I love those Sony exclusives, but with COD, Diablo, OW, Crash, Spyro, and WoW with the addition of Bethesda is going to be an uphill battle. Also, they own Sekiro, too, so they have their Bloodborne counter. Corrected by PlanetSmasher about the Sekiro IP. From owns the IP.

I mean a lot of those IP were going to be bigger on PC than console .
Yeah Diablo would have sold on console but most of the sales would have been on PC.
So for Sony it not a huge lost for them it most COD than anything else.

Jul 2, 2021
Going to be so interesting to see how Sony responds to all this...

I don't think they necessarily have to buy out some big publisher, but there's no doubt they have to double nay triple down on their efforts to produce high class first party titles.

But really it's all about IP, the best chance Sony has to counteract this kind of consolidation is to be responsible for the next big thing. The next CoD, the next Fortnite etc...

How much does it cost to build a new studio from the ground up? How many would $70b buy you?
Many studios tried to make the next Halo, or the next Call of Duty, or the next GTA, or the next Fortnite.
99% of them failed. That's why Microsoft is buying publishes with IPs. Easier, faster and much bigger impact.
Sony needs to spend money now. Big money. Or kiss their marketshare goodbye.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Seriously though, at this point, what is stopping Microsoft from continuing to make mammoth acquisitions? What's going to stop them from dropping billions more to buy Ubisoft or Take Two in a couple years?

Where does this end?
If you look at the MS statements today it's clear they don't really see the competition with Sony or Nintendo as their main objective but rather they think gaming will play a major role in the next big thing which is the metaverse where they compete with FB, Apple, Google and Amazon so they try to gain as big of a grip on gaming as they can before the others swoop in.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019

It's not.

It's, quite literally, 10 times bigger than the Bethesda buy. This is probably the biggest shift in the industry since Microsoft announced the Xbox.

I really think a lot of people in this thread don't realise how big a deal this is, and what a crushing blow to PlayStation it will turn out to be.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
I always kind of wondered why MS didn't just purchase the industry to begin with.
They didn't think it was worth it but Phil has sold Satya on being able to reach billions of gamers through the Cloud so MS is all in now

It's not.

It's, quite literally, 10 times bigger than the Bethesda buy. This is probably the biggest shift in the industry since Microsoft announced the Xbox.

I really think a lot of people in this thread don't realise how big a deal this is, and what a crushing blow to PlayStation it will turn out to be.
A number of us has brought it up. It's not even about being a 'market leader' anymore. At this point it's if Sony can even have longevity in the hardware space going forward

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I don't think you need to be in such a panic mode. PlayStation will be fine. Xbox survived the Xbox One generation. And Sony is still about to bring you some very strong titles.

Xbox survived the XB1 generation precisely because of massive moves like these buyouts that ONLY THEY can afford to do. Sony can't really thrive as a distant third place behind Nintendo and Microsoft.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017

Microsoft would immediately interfere if Sony tried to acquire or merge with Take Two, GTA is too important. Tencent is already heavily invested in Epic and most likely would not take well to Sony trying to acquire Epic. Nintendo is doing just fine in their own corner, they aren't affected by this news as Sony because they have evergreem ips that can sustain a console unlike Playstation. And acquiring Japanese devs wouldn't even come close to closing the wound this news has caused. Not to mention I could see Microsoft interfering if Capcom or Sega were going to be acquired.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
This only means we ll see GP (variation with ms ips without third party) on ps5 rather sooner than later. Sony retain some of market share and ms gains 10 to 20M new subs. Both get profits. Ms more than sony.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
It's because you guys are only thinking in terms COD. Sony buys SE or Capcom then they have a huge dearth of IPs and content exclusive to their platform. It's about making sure those games stay exclusive while keeping them off the competition.

The only thing that compares is GTA. A game that only comes out once or twice a Gen. It would be a HUGE get though and would no doubt give them lots of revenue.
Yup.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
The amount of leverage a T2 acquisition on top of ATVI afford Microsoft is scary to think about. I'm imagining a scenario where Xbox Game Pass makes its way over to PlayStation to keep GTA and CoD on the platform. That's an end-game power play right there.

Oct 28, 2017
Apple is NOT acquiring Sony. Sony is not hurting and will be alright. I'm sure they have a game plan and response. Lets just wait instead of being all doom and gloom. Playstation hasn't been an industry leader for nothing...

Playstation has never faced the prospect of losing every major 3rd party publisher. True or false?
Sony does not have the capital to secure 3rd party exclusivity. True or false?

This is just basic 1 + 1, and you're using just vibes to dissuade me that the answer isn't 2.

Oct 25, 2017
Some of you all have some insane takes. The only thing I will say is that industry consolidation sucks, and it's making gaming worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.