• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
You can't be serious with this take...This scale is absolutely ridiculous and taking away games from millions of people if everything is exclusive. It's not the same thing at all, so don't bother replying if you're just trolling.
This.

This absolutely should be blocked by antitrust bodies. Hopefully, if it does get let through, it's the last straw and MS isn't allowed to make any similar buyouts ever again. This one is already a pure, straightforward "win capitalism by having more money" play.
Yeah. It should be but it won't be even though this one's very transparent.

Last edited:

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
How would I love to be the fly on the wall seeing Jim Ryan in meetings right now with SIE execs...

But Hulst maybe via zoom because he caught Covid I guess?

Then I'll leak it on the net & then become the true insider.

rejoice-250x141.png

Hahahahhaaha 🤣 , that image is just the cherry on top.
Same. Unprecedented times for this industry.

This absolutely should be blocked by antitrust bodies. Hopefully, if it does get let through, it's the last straw and MS isn't allowed to make any similar buyouts ever again. This one is already a pure, straightforward "win capitalism by having more money" play.

They let Disney and Fox go through. I can't imagine that they would block this.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I see this place is as calm as ever. /s

There's no question that it's a gargantuan deal with seismic effect on industry and PlayStation. We'll see how things pan out in coming years.

Oct 30, 2017
At this point I dont know how anyone can defend Jim Ryan strategy in running Sony, honestly
There's really not much he can do.

In general, I think the strategy has been really awesome. Strong investment in first party content. Their teams are pumping out high quality games that are winning awards left and right.

There's just not much they can do to stop multi trillion dollar companies who want to buy up the industry.

Phantom_Snake

Banned
Jul 26, 2018
Montana
Unfortunately even if Microsoft bought Take Two next they still wouldn't hold a monopoly over the industry. They have quite a few more acquisitions to go before they get close to that.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I don't see the point of comparing Sony/Nintendo. One sustains its own space without any external influence; the other is heavily dependent on third-party business while somehow being dead set on a multiplatform route for its own content. I think this is counterproductive for the future of its platforms, though it might be beneficial in the long-term for its studios and software sales. Despite the outcome, it's clear that PlayStation is not doing and can't do what Nintendo is capable of.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
From a hardcore perspective this is something not nearly as bad as Bethesda, I get why folks will look at this as a blow against Sony but particularly I find hard to care, only Activision game that I truly cared about in the past years was Overwatch lol.

It's more that this is a sign that Microsoft is determined to have a monopoly on the industry and doesn't care how much they have to spend, I expect one of the big Japanese publishers to be next. I don't even play on Sony hardware much but I don't like where this is going

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Death of Playstation? Not remotely. But this is MASSIVE. My mouth was agape reading the headline. I can't believe it. I don't even care about most Activision Blizzard games (basically just THPS, Crash, and Spyro), and it doesn't personally affect me anyway since I have and enjoy an Xbox (in fact it will be even better for me since I won't have to buy any of their games anymore due to Game Pass), but wow. This is a staggering loss for Sony, no two ways about it.

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
What this means to me is PS will put out even more high-quality games to compete. That is something I look forward to.
Has PS not been putting out as many high quality games as they can? Have they been purposefully holding back?

I guess Sony could invest more in their first party studios, but I personally can't imagine somehow dramatically increasing their output.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
I see this place is as calm as ever. /s

There's no question that it's a gargantuan deal with seismic effect on industry and PlayStation. We'll see how things pan out in coming years.
In your opinion, how do you think Sony will respond? They will most likely continue their organic growth of first party studios since it's become likelier that Microsoft will attempt to buy more publishers or stop them if they go after certain people.

DrFreeman

May 9, 2020

Whilst I agree that this isn't the right way to go about competing, I don't think this will pass the antitrust test. Microsoft are still only the third biggest business in gaming. They'd need to acquire Ubisoft or CDPR to make it an antitrust issue.

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
People saying this won't cause massive issues for PlayStation are living in dreamworld, I feel like. You guys realize that's all a lot of people play? And games like CoD are what PlayStation make the bulk of their money with. Their business model makes no sense if they start losing out on massive IP's like that. They ain't no Nintendo.

It also means MASSIVE problems down the line, should subscriptions become the norm. This should be their main worry. If games follow movies and music in distribution, they simply won't be able to compete with GamePass given the shear amount of studios and IP Microsoft can now throw at it. And content is all that matters in that space. Not just quality, but quantity and breadth of genres. If GamePass really takes off, PlayStation will be facing a problem they likely won't be able to solve.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
It's more that this is a sign that Microsoft is determined to have a monopoly on the industry and doesn't care how much they have to spend, I expect one of the big Japanese publishers to be next. I don't even play on Sony hardware much but I don't like where this is going
Sure it sucks, I also dislike this type of stuff a lot but is it worth to get so worked out on things that could happen years from now and that are completely out from our control?
Life is miserable as it is and folks are willingly making this hobby worse for everyone with such cynical mentality.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Early 2023 Spiderman releases on PC (same as Gow before Ragnarok).
Miles might release sone months later too
I'm of the same opinion. The question was what people would think around here about the future of PlayStation as a platform holder when in addition to the loss of publishers left and right it sets the precedent of releasing on another place its biggest casual-friendly franchise.

Oct 30, 2017
People saying this won't cause massive issues for PlayStation are living in dreamworld, I feel like. You guys realize that's all a lot of people play? And games like CoD are what PlayStation make the bulk of their money with. Their business model makes no sense if they start losing out on massive IP's like that. They ain't no Nintendo.

It also means MASSIVE problems down the line, should subscriptions become the norm. This should be their main worry. If games follow movies and music in distribution, they simply won't be able to compete with GamePass given the shear amount of studios and IP Microsoft can now throw at it. And content is all that matters in that space. Not just quality, but quantity and breadth of genres. If GamePass really takes off, PlayStation will be facing a problem they likely won't be able to solve.
Yep.
The writing is on the wall.

PS will lose a major piece of their userbase this generation. This will diminish the importance of releasing games on Playstation platforms.
This in turn makes further MS acquisitions even easier and the cycle will just continue.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021

Exactly. Pretty much denial to just ignore all of it and keep acting like things are the same

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
I hope Sony will be OK. I made a thread that people didn't seem to like too much, but I was just worried.

You are right to be worried. Anyone who doesn't think Sony are on the precipice are delusional - MS have not only bought up Bethesda and a huge number of talented smaller developers, they have now bought Call of Duty. Literally the biggest game in the industry. That alone is a near-fatal blow, never mind losing Diablo, Overwatch etc.

Sony need to shore up. Even if MS don't buy anyone else Sony are in a pretty dire situation. If they do buy anyone else and Sony do nothing it's literally game over.

Sony need to start buying out all these developers they're partnering with - Haven, Probably Monsters, Deviation, Kojima Productions etc. They also need to buy a big publisher like Square Enix.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Like the chances of Killzone or Resistance could/would ever replace CoD single-player or MP, as might as well throw MAG into it.

256 battle royale even before battle royale booming.

Gothar

Jul 7, 2021
Dallas
I've got to say this will have a little bit of an uphill battle to get through anti-trust system, but wouldn't bet on it getting stalled. With that said, I do agree with many here that Take-Two is probably the only company Sony can grab that makes sense in a MAD doctrine sort of way. But that approach in general is not good for the industry as a whole. I'm not so doom and gloom that Sony cannot figure out a way through this, but there has to be some additional moves made to weather this storm.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Not sure if it'll pan out exactly like this but yeah I can see where you're coming from for sure.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
There was once a crowd asking to block all Activision talk on here, that would have been crazy with the news of today.

DrFreeman

May 9, 2020
You are right to be worried. Anyone who doesn't think Sony are on the precipice are delusional - MS have not only bought up Bethesda and a huge number of talented smaller developers, they have now bought Call of Duty. Literally the biggest game in the industry. That alone is a near-fatal blow, never mind losing Diablo, Overwatch etc.

Sony need to shore up. Even if MS don't buy anyone else Sony are in a pretty dire situation. If they do buy anyone else and Sony do nothing it's literally game over.

Sony need to start buying out all these developers they're partnering with - Haven, Probably Monsters, Deviation, Kojima Productions etc. They also need to buy a big publisher like Square Enix.

Ugh, I get where you're going but I hate this concept of consolidation necessitates consolidation.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Whilst I agree that this isn't the right way to go about competing, I don't think this will pass the antitrust test. Microsoft are still only the third biggest business in gaming. They'd need to acquire Ubisoft or CDPR to make it an antitrust issue.

It would depend on the arguments made, I guess. It's not common that a company can hurt one of their competitors THIS much with a single acquisition. It would be less about Microsoft's position and more about the popularity of CoD itself. Being able to just take half your opponent's userbase by having more money is wildly anti-competitive.

DarkVaber32

Nov 15, 2018
Honestly, i could see Sony getting bigger acquisitions with the premise of releasing on PC day one as well.

Keep a certain amount of studios work on console exclusive games, that are tailored to the console specific hardware AND keep certain studios that are releasing on both console and PC. For example From could be a Sony owned Studio that releases both on PC and PlayStation.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Absolutely crazy news to see.

I'm not into COD myself but this is a massive deal and is going to really hurt Sony down the line.

As much as I'm against market consolidation, Sony are going to have to do something to reduce the amount of potential customer losses that this will bring.

Only issue is how do you counter this? MS have been buying some of the biggest, mainstream appealing properties and I don't think there is really anything that can counter it. The only thing I can think of is Take2 to make GTA exclusive but I really doubt that's happening.

Only logical options would be Square and Capcom to lockdown Japanese games. While that may not cover any losses from Activision, it does help them differentiate themselves from Microsoft who have always been weak for Japanese style games.

Otherwise that's about it, as someone else said, EA would be worthless since FIFA would likely have to be multiplatform.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Has PS not been putting out as many high quality games as they can? Have they been purposefully holding back?

I guess Sony could invest more in their first party studios, but I personally can't imagine somehow dramatically increasing their output.
They are expanding their studios right now. I expect PS to put out more games per year in the future.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They are expanding their studios right now. I expect PS to put out more games per year in the future.

I don't think their model is going to be enough. "More people at ND" won't catch them up to the sheer number of distinct studios MS has now.

Sony will be fine. If anything, Japanese devs will unify behind them and drive the console.

This is not gonna happen, lol. Not when the PS5 is irrelevant in Japan.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Buying publishers wouldn't be about matching Act. You can't since they are quite literally the biggest publisher. It's about having FP content and growing which they are already trying to do. But the reality is small studios don't mean anything when MS buys 7-8 studios at a time with massive IPs. At this point, Sony needs big purchases just to have content so they survive period

Deleted member 95442

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2021
What did I wake up to today? I feel so angry at MS. If it was most other publishers I would have started wondering and worrying about impact on Sony (and the future of top quality SP games which I need), but my only reaction so far has been horror at Kotick's good fortune.

I know all these business people don't care, and if Sony had hundreds of billions to burn they may have done the same thing, but as of now Kotick is getting paid by MS. Can't get past that at all, going to return my Series S (extended return for the holidays). I was so excited for MS Studios getting better this gen but not touching it all now. Nope.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Trolling? Surely you jest.

Which one of us said that Nintendo/Sony built the industry, as if nothing Xbox has done in the last 20 years had any influence on the industry? That was you. So, let's put aside that rather foolish attempt to paint me with your own brush and actually have a discussion here.

I did not say that it was the same thing. I said that both Microsoft and Sony were playing the same game, the acquisitions game, and that one player has the wherewithal to play at a larger scale.

You talk about taking games away from millions. When Sony acquired Insomniac, how many millions of copies did Spider-Man (2018) sell on Xbox or PC? 0. How many millions of copies will Spider-Man 2 sell on Xbox or PC? 0 (on Xbox, PC ... TBA).

So, games were "taken away" from "millions of people." You might say, "But Convasse, if they wanted to play the game, they could purchase a PlayStation." You'd be right. That's how exclusives work. And Sony paid to gain the privilege of exercising that right. Because of our free market/capitalist rules.

I will re-iterate. Sony and Microsoft are playing the same game. One can afford to play at a larger scale. Instead of buying just the apple tree, they bought the orchard.

If you want talk about the ethics of such a move (and there's plenty to discuss there), it is imperative to indict all of the players of the game, not just Microsoft, for their involvement.
I get where you're coming from but lets just agree to disagree, the scale of this makes it more unethical, period. Its' really not that complicated IMHO. 3rd parties are always up for sale if your pockets are deep enough, so it's fair game. But it sucks, it affects more people. Even your Spidey analogy is proof of that since the new Marvel Spiderman that was introduced has never appeared on anything but Playstation. It's scale, all there is to it. If Sony reacts and we get more amazing first party games out of this, GREAT! if Sony slowly becomes less and less relevant, this was a terrible terrible move so one company could get richer. And yes, Nintendo/Sony has done more for the industry, MS got rich outside of this industry. Even Phil's word about the big 3 in revenue (1) Tencent 2) Sony 3) MS) now is kinda nonsense. Sony has a ton of revenue but they give back a huge portion of that that money and aren't as profitable as say Nintendo. Phil is trying to position Xbox as "only now they are a big player" that even is kinda bogus. They are the richest company in the world lol.

There's no way to know how it's going to play out, so like I said lets' just agree to disagree. I think we both hope MORE amazing content happens because of this deal though, so I'm sure we can agree there.

Gothar

Jul 7, 2021
Dallas

Can't be Square Enix. It has to be something that drives people to the platform. It will have to be Take-Two or EA. To get GTA or FIFA, you have leverage to keep certain games on the Sony platform from MS, but it goes both ways. It's not good for industry, but if Sony wants to counter with an acquisition it has to be someone with the IP that forces movement to Playstation. Square just doesn't have that.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think their model is going to be enough. "More people at ND" won't catch them up to the sheer number of distinct studios MS has now.
I don't really care about that. I'm just saying I expect more high quality games per year in the future. I'm happy about that.

I have all the platforms and don't play any Activision games, so this doesn't really bother me honestly.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Yea 3rd Party has always been the bread and butter of Playstation. They're trying to transition but when you lose 3P games, you have to transition faster if you want FP content to carry the platform

Especially when I think SEGA is next

Nah that stop during the PS3 gen when everything went multi .
Don't get me wrong they still get tons of money from 3rd party .
Like you said they start the transition last gen for there first party they now need to speed up the pace.
Still these things do take time .

Status
Not open for further replies.