• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkVaber32

Nov 15, 2018
Well, I'm not a fan of Xbox buying all major publishers up. On the other hand, Activision Blizzard has been so bad the recent years, and i hope under Microsoft they can deliver some quality games with the IPs they have. But then again, pulling Crash from Playstation and stuff like that would be so bad. Don't know how to feel about this tbh, we will see.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Being dead serious I'm not sure Sony can survive without cod.

Sony is pretty much done, they can't match MSs treasury and who knows what they'll buy in the next 5 years. They lost one of the best selling franchises in gaming history to MS, what's next FIFA? Lol.

PlayStation will not die this gen, but I doubt they'll survive next. They'll probably just deliver their games to Gamepass and other gaming services by then. Unless they go on a massive acquisition and merger spree.

SuperOctopus

Apr 22, 2020
This is bad for the industry. Full stop.
I guess this sums up pretty much my feeling at the moment. It just feels bad for the industry.

I think the Square-Enix acquisition pretty much has to happen now. I could also see them grabbing Capcom. Namco Bandai and From Software are owned by giant corporations so that probably isn't happening.
Would buying Square Enix help Sony? It feels small compared to the kind of money Activision bring and they haven't been in the best shape recently.

Dr_Pow

Oct 30, 2017
Call of Duty is too big of a seller not to be a huge problem for PlayStation as an exclusive for Xbox.
Would Sony make a deal for Gamepass on PlayStation? Even a stripped down version with just the Xbox exclusives?

prateeko

Oct 26, 2017
This is bad for the industry. Full stop.

Yeah. I'm not sure how Sony isn't forced to purchase some devs at this point. Bethesda was bad, but perennial miltiplats like CoD are a severe blow. Ubisoft, EA, and 2K either have to stay independent or Sony would need to nab them somehow to preserve long term viability.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
This is a sad day for the industry.
This is not about being good for MS or bad for Sony, is just about being a sad day for the industry.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Man no COD on Playstation its biggest selling title is a hard loss if it goes to Xbox.. everyone going to be wanting to swap now not sure how Sony could answer there is no good COD competitor or anything close to it in terms of sales.

Dante316

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft wants Gamepass on PlayStation, so a deal is always possible. Sony will definitely need to go after Capcom and Square to compete.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I guess this sums up pretty much my feeling at the moment. It just feels bad for the industry.

Would buying Square Enix help Sony? It feels small compared to the kind of money Activision bring and they haven't been in the best shape recently.

Possibly. Having them pretty much makes the entire Marvel universe exclusive to PlayStation which is pretty big. Also Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, despite them being mostly Sony franchises already. And I guess Tomb Raider is still a big player.

This is why I think they need Capcom too. Having Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, and Street Fighter would help out loads.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Random Tuesday baby

e73fd40d07e5352134eebc9511c9f64f77c354af.gif

I can feel it.
LMAO!!!

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if Sony tried to buy Activision, too. Or are in the process of acquiring another big publisher (Square Enix/Capcom/T2)

If not, I wonder what Sony's strategy is going forward.

It was very likely that Microsoft was planning further major acquisitions after Bethesda.

Sony will have to react in a similar way if they want to be as successful in the console market in the future as they have been so far.

Or maybe a Sony/Nintendo-merger lol

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Would acquire big publisher(s) sooner/later after this somewhat the current "answers" to "counter" competition's giant buys?

Matush

Oct 25, 2017
Slovakia
I think the Square-Enix acquisition pretty much has to happen now. I could also see them grabbing Capcom. Namco Bandai and From Software are owned by giant corporations so that probably isn't happening.
As much as Sony could try to acquire SE or other eastern developer, I don't see it have as much an impact as Bethesda/AB.

Sony is losing it in eastern markets and their primary focus is in US/Europe. Without CoD there is not way they can compete. And they can create as many new MP IPs as they want with partnership studios. This is pretty much huge blow for Sony and to tell the truth, I don't see a way they can come back from this in case CoD really will be exclusive.

As much as I love Sony exclusives, they cannot compete with MS now or in the future. Really starts to feel like beginning of the end.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this ensure that at some point if Sony wants to stay relevant in the gaming industry, they'll need to allow Gamepass on their platform.

SykoTech

Dec 23, 2020
As someone who thought there was way too much gloom and doom over the Bethesda thing, this one is a MUCH bigger deal to me. No Call Of Duty on PlayStation would be wild.

Personally speaking, Crash, Spyro, and the Tony Hawk games are all that I really cared about from Activision. And it seems they already killed those off to have the studios all work on COD. So meh.

But regardless of my personal taste, this is huge. I think Sony's going to have to react now. EA maybe?

Crazy times were in.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
As much as Sony could try to acquire SE or other eastern developer, I don't see it have as much an impact as Bethesda/AB.

Sony is losing it in eastern markets and their primary focus is in US/Europe. Without CoD there is not way they can compete. And they can create as many new MP IPs as they want with partnership studios. This is pretty much huge blow for Sony and to tell the truth, I don't see a way they can come back from this in case CoD really will be exclusive.

As much as I love Sony exclusives, they cannot compete with MS now or in the future. Really starts to feel like beginning of the end.

Then there's only one thing to do. The unholy alliance. Sony and Nintendo.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
The unfortunate writing is on the wall. If Sony wants to compete, it has to buy a publisher or two. It can't just go and try and make it with one or two studio acquisitions every few years. He'll, loosing cod is massive in the console space. Don't think any other game will match it, no matter what they buy

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

SE is nothing compared to Blizzard-Activision.
The only acquisition that could have the same impact is Take Two but you can be sure that if this happens I´m pretty MS will be the buyer not Sony.

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
The unfortunate writing is on the wall. If Sony wants to compete, it has to buy a publisher or two. It can't just go and try and make it with one or two studio acquisitions every few years. He'll, loosing cod is massive in the console space. Don't think any other game will match it, no matter what they buy
The only thing franchise that is even close is gta.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Interesting development, though don't think it's worthy of the amount of doom and gloom going on in here.

Sony loses billions form this deal. They make so much money from Call of Duty. It is very very bad for them moving forward, and the industry as a whole really. Its not like Microsoft is going to stop.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
There's only 2 IPs on a close scale. Fifa and GTA, and FIFA license wont be allowed to reamin exclusive to one platform.

amara

Nov 23, 2021
Disney bought Fox for $70 billion and regulators let it go. There's already precedent so this deal will probably go through

Status
Not open for further replies.