• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Also, lets be honest, if sony were making games like nintendo with the same budgets, it would be long gone by now
I wonder how it would be if Sony made Nintendo games but with way bigger budgets??

We already saw that with Rift Apart. I think we will get more as well in the future.

Ironically even then people will ignore them and say Sony is just making grounded third person action games. Just like how tons ignored Returnal and R&C this year to say Sony hasn't released a different genre type game in forever.

I think Sony can afford to do AAA and AA games. Especially with their current expansion. I hope SackBoy was a success so we can continue to get similar AA releases.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
TLOU remake was Mumbauer's project, greenlit by Layden. Began in 2018. But both of them have since quit Sony.

Jason's article said Hulst felt the cost was too high when he took over 1st party.

Its now been 3 years. No reveal. Several leads on the game have left. Decent chance it was cancelled.
Didn't Jason said on his article that the project was still alive?

Oct 25, 2017
Seem alot of people were upset at the time that Sony was focusing on big games.
And they(and me to a lesser extent) probably still are upset but it certainly not the general sentiment. The consumers at large made it perfectly clear they ok with the content Sony releases . It's why I see no need to argue back and forth about it. So many options out there I and anybody can perfectly ignore the Sony content They don't want and get it elsewhere and get the first party stuff we do enjoy.
I'm drawn to SIE's output of prestige titles too, but there's no stigma against that in here.
If anything the only constant stigma that sticks around in here is a lot of ppl want them to do exactly the same thing. They can't even try a few multiplayer titles

Wayfaerer

Oct 26, 2017
Sure but that was a while ago. Things can change.

Geoff's June show, his August show, the Sony September showcase, and Geoff's December award show.
4 opportunities to reveal this supposed remake that's been in development for 3 years.
3 have come and gone so far. Last chance is next month. We'll see.

It was in April of this year, Hermen took over in November 2019, if he wanted to cancel it he would have just canceled it by then rather than give it to Naughty Dog.

It wasn't revealed because it probably wasn't far along in development. I mean, the article says:

Just when it hoped to enter production on the remake of The Last of Us, Mumbauer's team got called in to help when another big game fell behind. Release of The Last of Us Part II had been pushed to 2020 from 2019 and Naughty Dog needed the Visual Arts Service Group to polish it off. Most of Mumbauer's team, along with some of the 200 or so other staff at the Visual Arts Service Group, was assigned to support Naughty Dog, slowing down progress on its own game.

If I'm Sony I'm not revealing this remake with a CG trailer, I would reveal it with gameplay to showcase the improvements compared the original game and for that I would probably wait until the game is closer to the release.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If we go by the rumours and what we know we are going to be fine.

Sly Cooper game, Twisted Metal game, WipEout game, two AAA FPS games, close to a dozen new I.Ps, etc....

If all of these manifest into something great and are a success then potential it means a higher chance of getting other types of games or revivals of other dead franchises.

I mean look back at the mid to late PS4 cycle and it wasn't as diverse as it is now. Let's hope for a great future.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
I wonder how it would be if Sony made Nintendo games but with way bigger budgets??

We already saw that with Rift Apart. I think we will get more as well in the future.

Ironically even then people will ignore them and say Sony is just making grounded third person action games. Just like how tons ignored Returnal and R&C this year to say Sony hasn't released a different genre type game in forever.

I think Sony can afford to do AAA and AA games. Especially with their current expansion. I hope SackBoy was a success so we can continue to get similar AA releases.

Yeah, i mean thats what would happen. As long as sony continues to put big budgets and polish into games they won't shed the image. Shit, Death Stranding could be a nintendo games mechanically, if it didn't have the big hollywood budget.

Even the smaller budget stuff like Kena even though its relatively simple still won't be confused for a Nintendo game because of how it looks

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
It was in April of this year, Hermen took over in November 2019, if he wanted to cancel it he would have just canceled it by then rather than give it to Naughty Dog.

It wasn't revealed because it probably wasn't far along in development. I mean, the article says:

If I'm Sony I'm not revealing this remake with a CG trailer, I would reveal it with gameplay to showcase the improvements compared the original game and for that I would probably wait until the game is closer to the release.
Also I'm sure the game will ship close to the show. It's the best marketing for it.

I do wonder of we are getting a PS5 version of Part II. A collection like Jason theorized would be amazing.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, i mean thats what would happen. As long as sony continues to put big budgets and polish into games they won't shed the image. Shit, Death Stranding could be a nintendo games mechanically, if it didn't have the big hollywood budget.

Even the smaller budget stuff like Kena even though its relatively simple still won't be confused for a Nintendo game because of how it looks
Yeah there is an image that people have in their minds that won't ever shed.

Sony is going to at least have another Astro Game, but people will still think of them as that third person narrative driven, grounded publisher.

When in reality Sony also released R&C, they released Sackboy, they released Astro's Playroom, Dreams, etc...

They can never escape the ND shadow looming over them.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
The real hot take is I don't think Naughty Dog and Santa Monica are Sony's best studios

I don't think so either but they're the most prestigious

Yeah there is an image that people have in their minds that won't ever shed.

Sony is going to at least have another Astro Game, but people will still think of them as that third person narrative driven, grounded publisher.

When in reality Sony also released R&C, they released Sackboy, they released Astro's Playroom, Dreams, etc...

They can never escape the ND shadow looming over them.

I already saw people equating Rift Apart to other sony blockbuster 3rd party games in the TGA thread.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
How is someone going to put Godfall and Arcadegeddon on that list but snub The Pathless and Bugsnax?
Yup, all three of these should have been on there too.
Was nice to see they did put F.I.S.T. on there since that's another great smaller game they signed.

Great first year.

Finally got my ps5 and just picked up Demon's Souls, Returnal, Ratchet and Guardians of The Galaxy as well as the Yuffie dlc. So I'm set for awhile.
Nice picks!

knack2bae

Banned
Oct 23, 2021

Its a good point. Who knows right? I personally adore The Last of Us and Part 2, so I'd love to see it be real. TLOU1 remade to similar technically fidelity of Part 2 for PS5 sounds great. I'd love the same for Red Dead Redemption. A remake in the RDR2 engine. Both series have their 1st parts lagging an entire generation of technology behind the 2nd parts of the story. Thankfully, this is an issue that both God of War and Horizon will avoid with Ragnarok and Forbidden West. Heck, even Spider-man got a proper PS5 remaster.

The real hot take is I don't think Naughty Dog and Santa Monica are Sony's best studios
Best is totally subjective. Naughty Dog and Santa Monica have created Sony's prestige games with God of War, Uncharted, and The Last of Us. And they sell many many millions. They have the best combo of commerical and critical success.

However, soon Insomniac will be the studio that generates Sony the most profit. Spider-man & Wolverine. Huge cash cows. Guerrilla is the other one that keeps growing and has their 1st huge commercial and critical hit with HZD. They'll catch up. After that, Sucker Punch is the next one on the come up. A much smaller studio that will need to grow.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Seem alot of people were upset at the time that Sony was focusing on big games.

Edit: What upsets me is that Sony wont give Ueda AAA budget and they let him go.
Does he want an AAA budget or is he like those Siren devs that left that want to just do AA?

Also maybe Sony didn't want to since his last game as such a time sink.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think that belief is slowly dying in the mainstream as well. I think this gen will have a ton of other WWS be people's #1 and #2 over them.
Perfection takes time.
We have yet to seen another companion in gaming even come close to Trico.
His next game is with Epic right?

Maybe the one after that, especially if he gets his work schedule optimized then SIE XDEV can help him out?

Oct 25, 2017
Perfection takes time.
We have yet to seen another companion in gaming even come close to Trico.
Was more interesting
latest

I kid I kid

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Since we're doing hot takes on this thankful day:

I think expanding Team Asobi and XDev Japan is way better of an idea than whatever sony was doing with Japan Studio all last gen

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
User banned (1 month): Platform warring, long history of similar behavior
I'm not ragging on nintendo, i love my switch but the new Kirby game looks like something Team Asobi would do but not as nice looking

Sony biggest obstacle with Astro is marketing it correctly

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Wild Arms lol?
JRPG in Sony land stands for "Jim Ryan's Personal Guidance" and nothing else, sorry people.

Status
Not open for further replies.