• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
This is the PS OT, but I'm sorry, I can't stop fucking laughing at the casting for the Mario movie.

I was actually very disappointed to learn it's going to be an animated movie. I didn't watch the Direct, so when I saw the cast when I finally got online I thought it was going to be a live-action movie. I know Mario doesn't have the best history with live-action, but...it was time.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
I follow some of those bots but never seem to be ready when the stock comes in fo PS5s :(

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I follow some of those bots but never seem to be ready when the stock comes in fo PS5s :(

Yeah, it's still kind of a crapshoot at the moment, unfortunately.

So, is Kojima trolling us with the save transfer on Death Stranding? I know it used to be a problem, but most games seemed to have been handling it pretty smoothly as of late. Death Stranding's transfer system is just weird. The man couldn't just have it work on the main system menu???

Thank God my save was in Sam's room, so it didn't take too long.

Nov 21, 2017
I had forgotten that I had started writing that 😆

Anyway, bets on which PS5 game Sony will have on Oct. PS+. There's actually three or four games releasing on Oct. 5th, the day the PS Plus games will drop (Alan Wake, Nickelodeon Brawl, Super Monkey Ball and Bullets Per Minute, I think)

So far the following games are scheduled to release on October 5th and aren't available to pre order yet on PSN thus its possible 1 of them could be an October PS+ game.
-BPM: Bullets Per Minute
-Hell Let loose
-Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl

Both Alan Wake Remastered and Super Monkey Ball can already be pre ordered on PSN.

Oct 29, 2017
So Microsoft is buying Square-Enix? Is Square-Enix publicly traded? 🥰
The next step beyond buying one publisher at at time is MS buying multiple publishers at a time.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Yeah, I'm fine. Though I'm worried about the industry being consolidated, I'm buying a Series X anyway. If I can find one.

I mean, absolutely do that if you want, but you're jumping the gun quite a bit here. The head of the Initiative literally used to head Crystal Dynamics as well, so they have a very close relationship and a game on the level of Perfect Dark is going to require hundreds, if not thousands, of people working upon it. Right now the Initiative only has 70 or so.

Ludi_Ludere

May 2, 2021
There's San Mateo, ICE team, Malaysia, xDev, and now Nixxes
There's way more than that.
  • SN Systems
  • Audiokinetic
  • PSOT (PlayStation Studios Online Technology) (for multiplayer)
  • ATG (Advanced Technology Group)
Then there's the Product Development Services Group which is broken up into 5 smaller studios (which are still big)
  • Visual Arts (the most known one especially after the whole TLOU Remake story)
  • Creative
  • Music
  • Sound + PlayStation Audio
  • Fabrication
Then there's about 3-4 more less important and general ones.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
  • SN Systems
  • Audiokinetic
Then there's the Product Development Services Group which is broken up into 5 smaller studios (which are still big)
  • Visual Arts
  • Creative
  • Music
  • Fabrication
Yea I just did a quick look at the big ones directly under SIE. Overall it's that whole pipeline of quality supporting devs that make the big studios games so polished. Def the most underappreciated people at PlayStation

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
  • SN Systems
  • Audiokinetic
  • Creative
  • Music
  • Fabrication
Sony has a massive internal support infrastructure for game production that quite possibly dwarfs both MS and Nintendo's infrastructures. Not to mention they outsource a ton for their biggest projects which combined with their own support teams makes their credits often last over half an hour.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
  • SN Systems
  • Audiokinetic
  • Creative
  • Music
  • Fabrication
So yeah they have a pretty massive amount of support

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
  • SN Systems
  • Audiokinetic
  • Creative
  • Music
  • Fabrication

I think this is how Sony is attracting these new big studios like Haven and Deviation. Pretty much like "the main development is up to you, but you can use all the support we can offer"

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
It's a shame Visual Arts attempt to branch out into game development of their own didn't work out. Maybe again someday in the future

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
Iki Island Expansion for GoT is fantastic so far. I'm putting Kena on the back burner for now only because I started my GoT replay first. I don't like playing multiple games at once. My preference is focusing on one at a time.

Anyone else focus on one game at a time as well?

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Iki Island Expansion for GoT is fantastic so far. I'm putting Kena on the back burner for now only because I started my GoT replay first. I don't like playing multiple games at once. My preference is focusing on one at a time.

Yup. I'm going through Tales of Arise right now, but also have Deathloop and Kena just waiting.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021

99% I do one game a time. I only recently started splitting it up to 2 since I play some Switch games on handheld while playing on PS. But if there's a Switch game I want to play docked, I go back to one game at a time and shelve the PlayStation

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
So Microsoft is buying Square-Enix? Is Square-Enix publicly traded? 🥰
The next step beyond buying one publisher at at time is MS buying multiple publishers at a time.
The great thing about buying publicly traded companies is that it'll be broadcasted to everyone worth a damn long before an agreement is made in an attempt to start a bidding war and drive the buying price up. If MS even so much as looks at Square as a target, Sony and Nintendo will know immediately.

BlueJay

Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame Visual Arts attempt to branch out into game development of their own didn't work out. Maybe again someday in the future

I think it's for the best to be honest. Their strength lies in helping bigger studios like ND and Santa Monica polish their games to perfection. I'd rather them help keep up the quality of PlayStation's first party titles than have them produce a mediocre game on their own (which based on Hulst's decision, it looked like it was going to be).

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
Me I pretty much always only focus on playing 1 game at a time.

Yup. I'm going through Tales of Arise right now, but also have Deathloop and Kena just waiting.

99% I do one game a time. I only recently started splitting it up to 2 since I play some Switch games on handheld while playing on PS. But if there's a Switch game I want to play docked, I go back to one game at a time and shelve the PlayStation

I'm going to steal a Housemarque term here, but the big reason why I like focusing on one game at a time is because I like the flow state lol.

A big reason why I play video games is to get immersed in a world and story. Switching between games messes up my flow state, thus breaking my immersion.

I'm so happy replaying GoT. Sucker Punch took a big leap forward, IMO.

Nov 8, 2017
The great thing about buying publicly traded companies is that it'll be broadcasted to everyone worth a damn long before an agreement is made in an attempt to start a bidding war and drive the buying price up. If MS even so much as looks at Square as a target, Sony and Nintendo will know immediately.

Other companies will know when the public announcement of the offer is made. This will allow time for a counter offer, but the existence of negotiations will not be known unless they have some sort of insider tipping them off.

Nintendo is not even remotely a factor. Sony may attempt a counteroffer but they can't just make arbitrarily large offers to scare Microsoft away, they will only make offers they're plausibly willing to execute on and it's unlikely they would be willing to make an offer that would win. Driving the price up by 10% or something is not really going to threaten Microsoft.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Other companies will know when the public announcement of the offer is made. This will allow time for a counter offer, but the existence of negotiations will not be known unless they have some sort of insider tipping them off.
Yeah, that's why I said other companies would immediately know lol. I wouldn't be surprised if all these big companies, not just in gaming got sleeper agents on the inside to watch their competition.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
11pm in Chicago and Death Stranding PS5 just went live for me.

65 GB download though : O

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah, that's why I said other companies would immediately know lol. I wouldn't be surprised if all these big companies, not just in gaming got sleeper agents on the inside to watch their competition.

Not outright plants, but a lot of people in the industry are friends with a lot of other people in the industry, so to some extent it's inevitable that some business dealings will be porous. For real high level stuff, dramatically less so. The studio leads at Bethesda didn't seem to know what was happening until it was announced.

For SE, I don't think it's highly likely that a sale will happen. But the previous reporting denied by SE (or denied in very specific language, anyway) about companies being interested is something I find highly plausible. The games industry has been on such a hot streak the 18 months that it's inevitable that people are sniffing around at most every company, regardless of whether the companies themselves have any intention of accepting plausible offers.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I think this is how Sony is attracting these new big studios like Haven and Deviation. Pretty much like "the main development is up to you, but you can use all the support we can offer"
I agree. I think a lot of Sony partnerships and acquisitions come to fruition thanks to their support teams. Many developers that work with Sony also praised their development support in the past.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
I hope those new studios do well lol. Hoping at least one of them comes up with something special. Sony hit it out of the park with Death Stranding last gen so something like that would be amazing

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Not outright plants, but a lot of people in the industry are friends with a lot of other people in the industry, so to some extent it's inevitable that some business dealings will be porous. For real high level stuff, dramatically less so. The studio leads at Bethesda didn't seem to know what was happening until it was announced.

For SE, I don't think it's highly likely that a sale will happen. But the previous reporting denied by SE (or denied in very specific language, anyway) about companies being interested is something I find highly plausible. The games industry has been on such a hot streak the 18 months that it's inevitable that people are sniffing around at most every company, regardless of whether the companies themselves have any intention of accepting plausible offers.
Yeah, we've been hearing for so long that Google,Amazon and now Netflix are going to get into gaming. I wouldn't be surprised if SE was someone they were looking at. Buy them and you're a third of the way into winning Japan. I also hope SE doesn't get bought anytime soon. If they're bought out, it'll most likely be by Sony or Nintendo. If Nintendo buys them, their games are stuck on underpowered hardware and no more pc ports. If Sony buys them, no more AA games like Bravely Default or Triangle Strategy, only the AAA blockbuster.

Aufdeel

Apr 5, 2020
Played the Voice of Cards demo and I had a great time. That, plus being the next Yoko Taro game and Kimihiko Fujisaka art convinced me to preorder the game (not the wisest thing to do, but whatever, I just want to play it).

Status
Not open for further replies.