• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2017
I don't see Sony making any moves towards SEGA. They might be one of the cheapest big japanese publisher out there, but they also by far in the worst shape when it comes to their ongoing franchises.

Sonic, Persona, Yakuza, Total War; that's not an exciting lineup of franchises you would get for $4B.

Strategically, Sega aligns more closely with what Microsoft is hoping to accomplish, although it's not "perfect" for either. It has the Sammy Amusements side that neither company is interested in. However, Sega Europe is very PC focussed - Sony is expanding into PC, but it is not expanding into PC-exclusive games like Total War and Company of Heroes. For Microsoft, PC GamePass is another pillar of their business they're trying to grow. Relic, a Sega studio is making Age of Empires for them (PC only at launch).

I don't think Sega is going to sell soon though, to anybody. The games side of their business is doing great, the amusements side is doing poorly, selling the whole company is messy to prospective buyers, and it's not clear why they'd want to sell just their golden goose and keep a dying company. A merger with another Japanese company is no less likely than a sale. The last big wave of game company consolidation in Japan in the 00's was largely beneficial for those involved, and they'd probably benefit again, albeit it would be tricky to come up with good name for "Sega-Sammy-Square-Enix Corporation" or whatever.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
I don't see Sony pursuing a big publisher acquisition, especially in Japan where the industry is already consolidated around five or so major third-party publishers. Sony outright acquiring one of these major publishers would throw away the "balance" of the Japanese game industry.

Also Hulst has been clear that they will only pursue acquisitions with studios they have a close relationship with. Sony doesn't really have a close relationship with any Japanese studio at the moment.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
I don't see Sony pursuing a big publisher acquisition, especially in Japan where the industry is already consolidated around five or so major third-party publishers. Sony outright acquiring one of these major publishers would throw away the "balance" of the Japanese game industry.

Also Hulst has been clear that they will only pursue acquisitions with studios they have a close relationship with. Sony doesn't really have a close relationship with any Japanese studio at the moment.
I agree about the big publishers in Japan not being for sale but I wouldn't really read too into whatever Hulst and Ryan say. That stuff in the end is PR. They (and Sony) will ultimately do whatever they think will make them money in the end. Right now they're acquiring partners so they'll say that's their strategy and if it changes up, their wording will too

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Yea I stand by the statement that if anything like that were to ever happen, Square Enix makes the most sense by far. Although if available, Sega wouldn't be impossible so who knows

Sure, they are definitely who Sony has been closest to even making several major deals with them going into this new generation. I say no one would be surprised by them acquiring SE despite it causing major controversy with gaming groups lol

I don't see Sony making any moves towards SEGA. They might be one of the cheapest big japanese publisher out there, but they also by far in the worst shape when it comes to their ongoing franchises.

Sonic, Persona, Yakuza, Total War; that's not an exciting lineup of franchises you would get for $4B.

Even the acquistion of WB Games without the WB franchises would be more attractive as their studios are in way better shape to put out new successful IPs.

If we ever end up in a time where first party platforms swallow publishers left and right, I'd prefer if Sony passed on SEGA and went for someone else.

I mean, if you boil it down to just game sales then you are missing the bigger picture of a Sega acquisition. After all, Sony has most recently valued their movie business way more than they did pre-PS4 era and when they were struggling. Franchises like Spider-Man, Venom, Jumanji, etc. aiming for $1 billion in revenue and the establishing of PlayStation Productions show that they are hungry for movie and TV entertainment dollars. And with what Sega has in the works they'd definitely prosper even more in that area along with a boost in their gaming division.

Nov 8, 2017

It's been 2 months since they purchased a company that has had an almost entirely exclusive business relationship with Eidos (later rebranded SE-Europe) since its founding in 1999. They will obviously not only limit themselves to some arbitrary criteira of "closeness" if a good opportunity arises for a valuable company, regardless of what is said in PR statements.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019

This is PR. No amounts of "Nixxes worked with us to help deliver Killzone Shadow Fall", will change that fact, and that's fine. People need to remember that these companies acquire what's best for their opportunity cost.

If Sony acquires a major Mobile publisher, they'll say how they've been trying to branch out for years now.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Was never going to light the sales charts on fire despite being awesome, unfortunately.

It's somewhere in the region of 120-180k owners on steam based on review multiplier metrics. I would expect notably <1 million sales in launch window.

15 years of sales and discounts and whatnot to amass a larger fanbase and it couldn't even crack the top 20 :C

Nov 8, 2017
15 years of sales and discounts and whatnot to amass a larger fanbase and it couldn't even crack the top 20 :C

I expect it'll do pretty nicely on discount, a lot of games like this go on to sell quite well at 50%+ off. There was definitely a sentiment on steam that the price was too high for what most people expect from "this type of game". Which is unfair since the game rocks, but also kind of a market reality.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Strategically, Sega aligns more closely with what Microsoft is hoping to accomplish, although it's not "perfect" for either. It has the Sammy Amusements side that neither company is interested in. However, Sega Europe is very PC focussed - Sony is expanding into PC, but it is not expanding into PC-exclusive games like Total War and Company of Heroes. For Microsoft, PC GamePass is another pillar of their business they're trying to grow. Relic, a Sega studio is making Age of Empires for them (PC only at launch).

I don't think Sega is going to sell soon though, to anybody. The games side of their business is doing great, the amusements side is doing poorly, selling the whole company is messy to prospective buyers, and it's not clear why they'd want to sell just their golden goose and keep a dying company. A merger with another Japanese company is no less likely than a sale. The last big wave of game company consolidation in Japan in the 00's was largely beneficial for those involved, and they'd probably benefit again, albeit it would be tricky to come up with good name for "Sega-Sammy-Square-Enix Corporation" or whatever.

100%

Sega will be absolutely messy to handle for the buyer and I don't see Sony bothering with that.

Microsoft would probably be the better fit, when it comes to strengthen their PC side with creative assembly and Persona games for PC, but even then they have a lot of stuff that wouldn't work well on their platform.

I mean, if you boil it down to just game sales then you are missing the bigger picture of a Sega acquisition. After all, Sony has most recently valued their movie business way more than they did pre-PS4 era and when they were struggling. Franchises like Spider-Man, Venom, Jumanji, etc. aiming for $1 billion in revenue and the establishing of PlayStation Productions show that they are hungry for movie and TV entertainment dollars. And with what Sega has in the works they'd definitely prosper even more in that area along with a boost in their gaming division.

No offense, but you're seeing a non-existing bigger picture. Sony isn't going to buy Sega to make SEGA movies.

They literally only have one IP that works on the big screen and that's already worked on by another publisher. Also, you don't need to own SEGA, to make movies based on SEGA IPs.

SIE already has 10 video game adoptions in works at PlayStation Productions, and they have more IPs waiting to be used that are bigger than anything SEGA has. But you can only work on so much.

gt123

Apr 2, 2021
I think there will be acquisitions going forward but I don't really see major publishers being bought up other than WB which idk if even counts as major. Bethesda was apparently being shopped around for a while and their games were all flopping
I'd easily rather lose Ubisoft than WB. I want my Batman and Suicide Squad and Mortal Kombat games. Those feel pretty major to me. Personally don't care for AC or Far Cry's.

I don't know if I really believe Bethesda was flopping aside from Fallout 76. Doom, the Arkane games, Wolfeinstein, all seem like they were doing atleast okay. Fallout 4 wasn't loved but I'm sure it still printed money.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
I'd easily rather lose Ubisoft than WB. I want my Batman and Suicide Squad and Mortal Kombat games. Those feel pretty major to me. Personally don't care for AC or Far Cry's.

I don't know if I really believe Bethesda was flopping aside from Fallout 76. Doom, the Arkane games, Wolfeinstein, all seem like they were doing atleast okay. Fallout 4 wasn't loved but I'm sure it still printed money.
Fallout 4 was big but I think Fallout 76 was a straight up disaster. IIRC it was discounted like a week after release. Doom did pretty decent but I think the later Wolfenstein games were selling worse and worse and Arkane has always struggled in terms of selling. Hopefully Deathloop is the exception since they got the full night of Sony marketing this time around but I wouldn't be surprised if it underperforms because it always feels like they're unlucky

Oct 25, 2017
Hello PlayStation community,

I got my disc PS5 a couple weeks ago - very hard to procure here in Australia. Really enjoyed Astro's Playroom and found it a loving homage to PlayStation's history. Amazing showcase of the dualsense haptics as well.

Since then, I've just played a bunch of PS4 games. I never got a PS4 so these all feel quite new and fresh to me (all the freebies with PS+). However since Astro's Playroom, I haven't really played anything that has really showcased the graphical prowess of my lovely new console and that also shows off the dualsense in the same way as Astro.

I know that the main first-party games will be amazing (Rift Apart, Demon's Souls, Returnal), but I don't feel like playing any of those games just yet. This is the PlayStation Studios thread, but can anyone speak to whether any these cross-gen or updated last-gen games will scratch that itch:

* Jedi Fallen Order
* Tony Hawk 1+2
* NBA 2K22

Otherwise I think I will just have to dive into the Spiderman ultimate edition. Is that a good showcase to start off with? Other suggestions welcome :)

Nov 8, 2017

Wolfenstein 2 did worse than The New Order
The Evil Within 2 did worse than The Evil Within
Dishonored 2 underperformed
Prey outright flopped

Fallout 76 actually sold fairly high even if not as high as they'd hoped - although it was still disastrous in other metrics.

Arkane+MachineGames then collaborated on an experimental multiplayer Wolfenstein spinoff that appears to have been a test bed for various things. Prey's expansions experimented with loop/roguelike gameplay. Redfall, Prey's successor, is a coop open world game. Deathloop is more conventionally Arkane than Redfall is, but they were still trying to change things up. MachineGames was hiring for more multiplayer experience and so on, so the next Wolfenstein probably also has some multiplayer component too.

They were struggling overall and trying to find new ways to improve their sales. The company being willing to sign exclusivity deals for two games at Sony indicates a level of internal concern with their prospects, they really weren't known for that kind of things. The negotiations to sell to Microsoft began in 2019, which would have been also around the time Sony was negotiating exclusivity deals, so I think that it's safe to say the company wasn't feeling super healthy.

Last edited:

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Doom is the exception when it come to non-BGS franchises. Dishonored 2, Prey and Wolfenstein 2, Evil Within 2 (and their related DLCs/spinoffs) were absolutely bombas. Despite their reputation, Arkane hasn't had a commercially successful game since Dishonored 1 almost a decade ago, although I think that's just part of an overall declining trend for immersive sim games.

That said Besthesda as a company definitely wasn't heading towards bankruptcy or anything. Zenimax sold IMO because its founder was old and wanted to hand off the company, and the shareholders saw a good exit for their investment.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
No FIST, no Jett, no medium, no Alan Wake, no Kena, we don't have any clue about what we gonna get next month on PS5. since it's October that coincides with Halloween at the end of the month, maybe we gonna get Observer PS5 (instead of Medium).

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020

giphy.gif

i3allistic

Nov 17, 2017
Sony should give The Order 1886 IP another chance, make it Co-Op looter shooter, so much untapped potential with this …

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
As you know, Sony only uses the "director's cut" thing when there's new content added to the remaster (Ghost and DS) as apposed to Legacy of Thieves and Spider-Man remastered, for example.

What else do you think will have the director's cut treament?

I rule out Bloodborne as it already has the Old Hunters expansion like Horizon Zero Dawn/Frozen Wilds.

Nov 21, 2017
No FIST, no Jett, no medium, no Alan Wake, no Kena, we don't have any clue about what we gonna get next month on PS5. since it's October that coincides with Halloween at the end of the month, maybe we gonna get Observer PS5 (instead of Medium).

So far the following games are scheduled to release on October 5th and aren't available to pre order yet on PSN thus its possible 1 of them could be an October PS+ game.
-BPM: Bullets Per Minute
-Hell Let loose
-Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
As you know, Sony only uses the "director's cut" thing when there's new content added to the remaster (Ghost and DS) as apposed to Legacy of Thieves and Spider-Man remastered, for example.

What else do you think will have the director's cut treament?

I rule out Bloodborne as it already has the Old Hunters expansion like Horizon Zero Dawn/Frozen Wilds.
I know it wasn't Sony exclusive but the only director's cut I want and really needs one is MGSV.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
So far the following games are scheduled to release on October 5th and aren't available to pre order yet on PSN thus its possible 1 of them could be an October PS+ game.
-BPM: Bullets Per Minute
-Hell Let loose
-Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl

Thanks for the list. I bet on Hell let Loose but if they don't solve their ping problem, it will be unplayable on PS5 cus a littler high ping and it kicks you out.

Last edited:

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Ordered the WD Black SN850 1TB for 153 Euro yesterday, seemed like a solid price (heat sink secured via a connection, because this one was sold out everywhere). I'm actually only worried about removing the plastic side and reattaching it ;)

SuperOctopus

Apr 22, 2020

I got my disc PS5 a couple weeks ago - very hard to procure here in Australia. Really enjoyed Astro's Playroom and found it a loving homage to PlayStation's history. Amazing showcase of the dualsense haptics as well.

Since then, I've just played a bunch of PS4 games. I never got a PS4 so these all feel quite new and fresh to me (all the freebies with PS+). However since Astro's Playroom, I haven't really played anything that has really showcased the graphical prowess of my lovely new console and that also shows off the dualsense in the same way as Astro.

I know that the main first-party games will be amazing (Rift Apart, Demon's Souls, Returnal), but I don't feel like playing any of those games just yet. This is the PlayStation Studios thread, but can anyone speak to whether any these cross-gen or updated last-gen games will scratch that itch:

* Jedi Fallen Order
* Tony Hawk 1+2
* NBA 2K22

Otherwise I think I will just have to dive into the Spiderman ultimate edition. Is that a good showcase to start off with? Other suggestions welcome :)
Hey! Welcome to the thread!
I haven't played any of the 3 games you mentioned on PS5 but NBA 2K22 may scratch your next-gen graphical itch as it just got released and it apparently implements DualSense features. The Dirt/WRC racing games also have good DualSense implementation if you are into racing games.
In my opinion, if you really want to have the whole package that pushes that next-gen feel, you have to turn to first-party games. Spider-man, Returnal, Demon's Souls and Rift Apart are all fantastic choices that look phenomenal and play very well. My current GOTY Returnal has that extra something where it feels fantastic when everything clicks.

eFKac92

Apr 8, 2021

* Jedi Fallen Order
* Tony Hawk 1+2
* NBA 2K22

Hey I have only played Jedi Fallen Order from your list.

Two things to note from my perspective: I compare that to the base PS4 version which I played at launch, not sure if you have played it last gen on Xbox or elsewhere.
It's really night and day compared to that experience - stable 60 fps, improvement on resolution and texture clarity go a long way. The game is good looking overall, but definitely not a next gen wow moment.
It also does not have DualSense implementation so you will miss that there.

NBA 2K22 should be very good graphically, but from comparisons I've seen, it's less of a jump from PS4 compared to the PS3 to PS4 jump with NBA 2K14.

I've you've got it, I would suggest Control (it was on PS+ earlier this year) very good looking game, and great DualSense implementation or maybe Metro Exodus, it received a free patch with Ray Tracing Global Illumination and it's really cheap right now on sale.

But I do have to say, you probably will see the biggest jump when you decide to go for the first party offerings.

gt123

Apr 2, 2021
Fallout 4 was big but I think Fallout 76 was a straight up disaster. IIRC it was discounted like a week after release. Doom did pretty decent but I think the later Wolfenstein games were selling worse and worse and Arkane has always struggled in terms of selling. Hopefully Deathloop is the exception since they got the full night of Sony marketing this time around but I wouldn't be surprised if it underperforms because it always feels like they're unlucky
Wolfenstein 2 did worse than The New Order
The Evil Within 2 did worse than The Evil Within
Dishonored 2 underperformed
Prey outright flopped

Fallout 76 actually sold fairly high even if not as high as they'd hoped - although it was still disastrous in other metrics.

Arkane+MachineGames then collaborated on an experimental multiplayer Wolfenstein spinoff that appears to have been a test bed for various things. Prey's expansions experimented with loop/roguelike gameplay. Redfall, Prey's successor, is a coop open world game. Deathloop is more conventionally Arkane than Redfall is, but they were still trying to change things up. MachineGames was hiring for more multiplayer experience and so on, so the next Wolfenstein probably also has some multiplayer component too.

They were struggling overall and trying to find new ways to improve their sales. The company being willing to sign exclusivity deals for two games at Sony indicates a level of internal concern with their prospects, they really weren't known for that kind of things. The negotiations to sell to Microsoft began in 2019, which would have been also around the time Sony was negotiating exclusivity deals, so I think that it's safe to say the company wasn't feeling super healthy.
Doom is the exception when it come to non-BGS franchises. Dishonored 2, Prey and Wolfenstein 2, Evil Within 2 (and their related DLCs/spinoffs) were absolutely bombas. Despite their reputation, Arkane hasn't had a commercially successful game since Dishonored 1 almost a decade ago, although I think that's just part of an overall declining trend for immersive sim games.

That said Besthesda as a company definitely wasn't heading towards bankruptcy or anything. Zenimax sold IMO because its founder was old and wanted to hand off the company, and the shareholders saw a good exit for their investment.
Thanks for the info everybody! That makes sense now that most of there games were going down in sales. And yeah hope things change with Deathloop, Arkane deserves to have a win, they make great games.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

* Jedi Fallen Order
* Tony Hawk 1+2
* NBA 2K22

Hello and welcome!

Naicore

Aug 30, 2021
Nah they probably just got overambitious like they did with Lost Legacy which was originally just Story DLC for UNCHARTED 4.
My guess is that we'll probably get some Story/Adventure Co-Op alongside Factions.

I do hope they got some PVE mode for Factions alongside PVP. GoT Legends has really set a standard for me for adding an optional co-op mode to a game, so I hope they take some inspiration from that (character progression, builds, items, etc.) along with other sources. If it's purely PVP I might skip it, but if it also includes some fun co-op I'm all in.

Oct 26, 2017
Ordered the WD Black SN850 1TB for 153 Euro yesterday, seemed like a solid price (heat sink secured via a connection, because this one was sold out everywhere). I'm actually only worried about removing the plastic side and reattaching it ;)

I installed my 1tb SN850 yesterday, and by far the scariest thing was removing and reattaching the faceplate. It took a lot more force than I expected.

It's been great so far. I've moved a load of PS5 games onto it and set it as the default install location.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020

Deleted member 62769

Jan 6, 2020
YZb87hl.jpg

www.linkedin.com

Firesprite on LinkedIn: #safeinourworld #raisethegame #firespritecareers #directorjobs…

We're looking for a Development Director to assist with all aspects of planning and delivery on a dark, narrative adventure with genre-defining goals! 🔥…
If it is like Heavy Rain/Until Dawn with TLOU2 lead designer as director then this game will probably be awesome!

It's kinda funny in a way how Sony worked together with Quantic Dream and Supermassive Games with Story interactive games but then went seperate ways and now Firesprite might become the studio that Sony owns who will provide us with these type of games. I do want more games produced by Sony that is Heavy Rain and Until Dawn style ^^

Icepick_1878

Nov 29, 2017
This place is really funny sometimes.

In the Forza Motorsport raytracing thread are 80% of the people saying that it's a waste of resources during gameplay in a racing game(which I agree with).
In the GT7 thread you have 90% of people complaining that it's not in the game…

Status
Not open for further replies.