• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I expect nothing from outbreak day. We literally had the same expectations last year, and we got nothing.

Ordinarily I would say the same, but this time around we know for a fact that ND is deep into development on two major TLOU projects that didn't show up at the showcase. If there's ever going to be an exception to the rule, this will be it.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
If cross gen games like God Of war and Horizon looks this damn good this early I cant imagine what we get in the future. Not to mention the scale of these 2 games is big.
www.youtube.com

God Of War Ragnarök - PlayStation Showcase 2021 Reveal Trailer | PS5 Games

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/god-of-war-ragnarok/ From Santa Monica Studio comes God of War Ragnarök, the sequel to the critically acclaimed God o...

www.youtube.com

Horizon Forbidden West - State of Play Gameplay Reveal | PS5

https://www.playstation.com/games/horizon-forbidden-west/?emcid=or-1s-412983Join Aloy as she braves the Forbidden West, a deadly frontier that conceals myste...

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
If cross gen games like God Of war and Horizon looks this damn good this early I cant imagine what we get in the future. Not to mention the scale of these 2 games is big.
www.youtube.com

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/god-of-war-ragnarok/ From Santa Monica Studio comes God of War Ragnarök, the sequel to the critically acclaimed God o...

www.youtube.com

https://www.playstation.com/games/horizon-forbidden-west/?emcid=or-1s-412983Join Aloy as she braves the Forbidden West, a deadly frontier that conceals myste...
I keep trying to imagine what a native PS5 game looks like in 2024 by a team like a Naughty Dog or a SIE Santa Monica & it's pretty impossible to conceive. Like, can games really look better than what Horizon, Last of Us & God of War pulled off?

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
I don't think we see Factions until next year's September showcase honestly. I think it's either a late 2022 release or more likely a 2023 release

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017

Looks great.

Ahhh 1 year ago today. Also the night Walmart went live with pre-orders. Glad to have snagged one.

Same. So glad I stayed at my computer that whole time after the show "just in case".

I see a lot of people in this thread doing mental gymnastics to avoid buying a PS5.

Sony wants you to buy their console, that's why their exclusives (not all) that come out on PC will do so years later and at a more expensive price.

PS: I hope this thread does not turn into a port begging thread. That would be very sad.
This.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017

I'm really unimpressed with the PS5 release. It looks and performs virtually identical to the BC version. And there's a lot there that could be improved. Textures are super outdated looking, water shaders are pretty weak, ray-tracing tech maybe, etc.

Haptics and adaptive triggers are pretty good on the game, but dang, I can't believe this port cost extra money, tbh. Can't get mad at Sucker Punch for it, though. They've done plenty of work on the game. It's Sony I'm annoyed at, since it's not like SP decided to charge money for it.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really unimpressed with the PS5 release. It looks and performs virtually identical to the BC version. And there's a lot there that could be improved. Textures are super outdated looking, water shaders are pretty weak, ray-tracing tech maybe, etc.

Haptics and adaptive triggers are pretty good on the game, but dang, I can't believe this port cost extra money, tbh. Can't get mad at Sucker Punch for it, though. They've done plenty of work on the game. It's Sony I'm annoyed at, since it's not like SP decided to charge money for it.

Yea, you know the pricing is above their heads.

Like with GG and HFW, Sony makes the decisions and the studios are on the hook for it.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I keep trying to imagine what a native PS5 game looks like in 2024 by a team like a Naughty Dog or a SIE Santa Monica & it's pretty impossible to conceive. Like, can games really look better than what Horizon, Last of Us & God of War pulled off?
It's more about stuff like enemy density, AI complexity, and most importantly, level and environment design.

I'm replaying GoW right now on PS5 and so much of the environment layout is designed around hiding loading screens. Walking along ridges, under caves, long elevator rides, long narrow boat rides to a new area, etc - it's all designed that way to load in new areas and environments.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

Naturally, this is pre-rendered, but a potential late-gen TLOU3 might come close to a few elements displayed in this trailer. I mean, just look at the jump between TLOU1 and TLOU2, nothing stops them from improving on animation, lighting, better physics, more clever data streaming.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Is being able to manually update the controller a new update?

When I search, there are fairly new articles talking about setting back the clock to update. But I could have swore it's been around for a bit.

Jul 2, 2021
giphy.gif

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I think Saints Row is coming at just the right time people are staring for a new game in the same vein as GTA 5

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
www.youtube.com

www.youtube.com

That's where I'm at, I can't wait to see Wolverine and Spider-Man 2.

Oct 27, 2017

It's wild that the biggest difference (60fps) was already done for free by Sucker Punch lol

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I wonder how many hires and stories about Sony investing in Asia/Japan have to come out before some realize Sony "giving up" trying to save JapanStudio doesn't equate to Sony giving up on Japan/Asia market.
Sony has to make a handheld/portable device for Japan, all there is to it really. The problem is SKU and how to work that into a Playstation dev ecosystem, and also for it not to sell 2 units outside Japan itself. I can't see it working for anything other than Nintendo who can market their hardware almost exclusively with in-house software. Sony would have to make a portable PS4 or something and just keep that community going.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I'm just going to throw this out there, but I thought the most interesting part of the live action PlayStation ad during the showcase was the nod to Sonic of all franchises (with the gold ring being there). The series usually sells well on PlayStation but it is typically a Nintendo associated series (if even just by design lol).

I wonder if it means something, like they'll be marketing the upcoming Sonic Rangers or if there is something more substantial going on between Sony and Sega. I'm not going to outright say "acquisition" since that is an ocean wide stretch lol, but if that were to happen it would somewhat make sense.

With Sega also wanting to dabble in TV series and the success of the Sonic film, its like they are on converging paths with Sony also going big on movies and TV. And in the gaming sector, Persona and Yakuza would definitely be big gets for Japan as well as a bunch of smaller IPs. So while most of us see MS acquiring Sega, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony were the ones to nab them eventually.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I'm just going to throw this out there, but I thought the most interesting part of the live action PlayStation ad during the showcase was the nod to Sonic of all franchises (with the gold ring being there). The series usually sells well on PlayStation but it is typically a Nintendo associated series (if even just by design lol).

I wonder if it means something, like they'll be marketing the upcoming Sonic Rangers or if there is something more substantial going on between Sony and Sega. I'm not going to outright say "acquisition" since that is an ocean wide stretch lol, but if that were to happen it would somewhat make sense.

With Sega also wanting to dabble in TV series and the success of the Sonic film, its like they are on converging paths with Sony also going big on movies and TV. And in the gaming sector, Persona and Yakuza would definitely be big gets for Japan as well as a bunch of smaller IPs. So while most of us see MS acquiring Sega, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony were the ones to nab them eventually.

Pac-Man was the biggest surprise! Sony to acquire Pac-Man and make a HBO mini series!!! 😁

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
A lot of people want Factions to be this standalone game or revealed at a big conference but I think it will be a blog post or a random day reveal or the Last of Us day.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020

From what I've seen Sega is actually straying away from the Playstation. For instance franchises that used to be exclusive to the Sony ecosystem such as Yakuza or Persona are now fully embracing multiplatform, and sometimes even giving the cold shoulder to the Playstation community with the Persona 4 Golden going to PC and ignoring the PS4, and the RGG studio being on Phil Spencer's payroll with marketing deals, Gamepass deals and next-gen timed exclusivity.

Remember Astro's Playroom, this cute little game with plenty of references to various franchises from many Japanese publishers ? Guess which major Japanese publisher wasn't AT ALL included in the game ?

Also when you look at the partnership Sony made during the recent years, you see Koei Tecmo (Nioh), Square-Enix (FFVII Remake, FFXVI), Capcom (Street Fighter V), From Software (Bloodborne)... Once again a certain big publisher with a blue mascot is completely absent from the conversation.

My guess is that certain individuals at Sega are still pretty loyal to Playstation (Hashino, Nagoshi, Kamitani if we extend it) but at the executive level things seem a little bit different.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
From what I've seen Sega is actually straying away from the Playstation. For instance franchises that used to be exclusive to the Sony ecosystem such as Yakuza or Persona are now fully embracing multiplatform, and sometimes even giving the cold shoulder to the Playstation community with the Persona 4 Golden going to PC and ignoring the PS4, and the RGG studio being on Phil Spencer's payroll with marketing deals, Gamepass deals and next-gen timed exclusivity.

Remember Astro's Playroom, this cute little game with plenty of references to various franchises from many Japanese publishers ? Guess which major Japanese publisher wasn't AT ALL included in the game ?

Also when you look at the partnership Sony made during the recent years, you see Koei Tecmo (Nioh), Square-Enix (FFVII Remake, FFXVI), Capcom (Street Fighter V), From Software (Bloodborne)... Once again a certain big publisher with a blue mascot is completely absent from the conversation.

My guess is that certain individuals at Sega are still pretty loyal to Playstation (Hashino, Nagoshi, Kamitani if we extend it) but at the executive level things seem a little bit different.

With the many years that Sega has struggled (and them going for more multiplatform games is largely due to this), I can't blame Sony for their lack of interest. Hardly any of their games are huge hits and Sony looks for partners that rake in the sales. But Sega has been turning things around, even if slowly, and their game department is starting to get into better form.

But with PlayStation Productions taking off over the next year or two, I can't help but wonder if they have taken notice of the success of the Sonic film (originally planned to be under their Columbia Pictures before going to Paramount) and all the other IPs they will be making use of the same way Sony is doing.

I think with gaming consolidation being a thing, THAT would be the big reason why they would acquire Sega even more than the gaming opportunities.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Yea I stand by the statement that if anything like that were to ever happen, Square Enix makes the most sense by far. Although if available, Sega wouldn't be impossible so who knows

Ludi_Ludere

May 2, 2021
A lot of people want Factions to be this standalone game or revealed at a big conference but I think it will be a blog post or a random day reveal or the Last of Us day.
We already know that it is a standalone title.

Also, what are people's thought's on the major acquisition rumours going around? I really hope we don't lose another publisher.

Nov 8, 2017
Also, what are people's thought's on the major acquisition rumours going around? I really hope we don't lose another publisher.

My thoughts are that I don't believe the kind of people reporting on it are the kind of people who would know about it. Only 2 of the earliest acquisitions from Microsoft leaked, and one of those was because they had to file public documents because they were holding off the announcement for a long time. Someone like Take Two (a random name that people were speculating on - not something I myself think is plausible) is the kind of deal where you'd expect a Schrier or Bloomberg business report to have inside lines on, not JohnDeezNuts on youtube or whatever.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
I'm annoyed today. About to spend almost $400 on a damn controller to have functional, remappable paddles, because Sony has completely dropped the ball on releasing either their own pro controller, or an attachment they already figured out.

I held out as long as possible, but with Battlefield around the corner, and PS5 games I've been waiting to finally play, has to be done. Not happy about it though. I just don't understand why this has taken so long. What, are they going to wait until the end of the fucking generation again? Are they fine losing this money to other companies? I don't get it.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
We already know that it is a standalone title.

I think there will be acquisitions going forward but I don't really see major publishers being bought up other than WB which idk if even counts as major. Bethesda was apparently being shopped around for a while and their games were all flopping

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
I don't see Sony making any moves towards SEGA. They might be one of the cheapest big japanese publisher out there, but they also by far in the worst shape when it comes to their ongoing franchises.

Sonic, Persona, Yakuza, Total War; that's not an exciting lineup of franchises you would get for $4B.

Even the acquistion of WB Games without the WB franchises would be more attractive as their studios are in way better shape to put out new successful IPs.

If we ever end up in a time where first party platforms swallow publishers left and right, I'd prefer if Sony passed on SEGA and went for someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.