• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
The core issue with Second Son was that the open world, while GORGEOUS, wasn't nearly as interesting or fleshed out as IF1 and IF2. And the side content was the most repetitive the series had ever seen up to that point. So you had a short story, and a world that overall didn't have enough fun things to do to make up for it.

I think Sucker Punch was held back by trying to develop a near-launch game and also working within the limits of Seattle's relatively small size.
Yeah the game overall was just very light on interesting content.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I had a dream that Sony just went and hired the PS emulator people working on PS1-PS3 emulation on PC and gave them a ton of budget to get BC working on PS5.

It was a nice dream.

Deleted member 10119

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2021
Honestly, I feel bad for him if he read ERA around that time.
The game was conpared to every single game in existence before it came out.

I think he even joke about it on the video they released about the game, of him reading TLoU to copy it lol
At one point people would conplain that the Resetera Logo had the GoW Axe.
It was that bad.
You take what people say about your project, both the good and the bad. That is how you grow and learn what really works and what does not.
Some people can absolutely be needlessly cruel and assholes about the way they voice their criticisms, but feedback is important.
The key thing is being able to sift through the low-effort trolls and seeing the genuine criticisms and keeping that as food for thought.

Don't be sad for Cory, I'm sure deep down he really wants to improve his craft and immensely appreciates the honest-to-god feedback that he has not considered before :)

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
With Elder Scrolls most likely never showing up on PlayStation (apart from ESO), I would love to see Sony make it's own high fantasy RPG, but with that PlayStation Studios polish. Years ago, when I first saw the graphics of Death Stranding with Sam walking through the open fields, it made me desperately want an Elder Scrolls game powered by Decima engine. The lush green hills looked so beautiful. While I'd miss the built-in lore of TES, I'd be happy to see Sony create their own world and legends.

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona

I think he even joke about it on the video they released about the game, of him reading TLoU to copy it lol
It was that bad.
Era could have been such a great place to interact with devs. But too many here make it feel like a cesspool of negativity. I don't blame devs for staying away. This place has driven away a lot of industry people and it sucks.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
With Elder Scrolls most likely never showing up on PlayStation (apart from ESO), I would love to see Sony make it's own high fantasy RPG, but with that PlayStation Studios polish. Years ago, when I first saw the graphics of Death Stranding with Sam walking through the open fields, it made me desperately want an Elder Scrolls game powered by Decima engine. While I'd miss the built-in lore of TES, I'd be happy to see Sony create their own world and legends.

Yup. I don't think it's ever going to happen, but it would absolutely be the dream.

Deleted member 10119

Banned
Aug 8, 2021
With Elder Scrolls most likely never showing up on PlayStation (apart from ESO), I would love to see Sony make it's own high fantasy RPG, but with that PlayStation Studios polish. Years ago, when I first saw the graphics of Death Stranding with Sam walking through the open fields, it made me desperately want an Elder Scrolls game powered by Decima engine. The lush green hills looked so beautiful. While I'd miss the built-in lore of TES, I'd be happy to see Sony create their own world and legends.
While that would be awesome and something I would support 100%.

Sony has a bunch of 3rd party games that fill that hole in their portfolio, so I don't think they see a need for such a thing.
Which is a huge shame, because I think if they put their minds and resources to it, they could make something that rivals Elder Scrolls given time.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017

Sony has a bunch of 3rd party games that fill that hole in their portfolio, so I don't think they see a need for such a thing.
Which is a huge shame, because I think if they put their minds and resources to it, they could make something that rivals Elder Scrolls given time.
There isn't really any third party dev out there that can fill a Bethesda WRPG sized hole. Well besides Obsidian...It's why those 2 are so special, nobody even attempts to make games like them. Who knows if Sony is fine losing such uniqueness.

Naicore

Aug 30, 2021

Made me recall something about the game. When I experienced the snowstorm on the mountain it made me want a The Thing horror game set on an isolated antarctic base.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I hope for a Ratchet and Clank Future remaster since it is the 20 anniversary next year. Don't mind if it's cross gen but more Ratchet the better.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah that'd be great.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A new Infamous would be just about the hypest announcement Sony could make for me personally. Taking with a grain of salt though.

Deleted member 10119

Banned
Aug 8, 2021
Made me recall something about the game. When I experienced the snowstorm on the mountain it made me want a The Thing horror game set on an isolated antarctic base.
I want a survival horror game based on the movie "30 Days of Night".
Where you play as one of the human survivors trapped in the Alaskan town during the month long period of darkness where the town gets ravaged by a pack of vicious vampires.

The concept is very TLOU in that you have to scavenge for supplies carefully in order to craft equipment and makeshift weapons. Think of the vampires as sort of like "Super" clickers. If they spot you while you are unprepared, they kill you instantly. Otherwise you can fight them off and even kill them, but it is a huge strain on resources.

They are highly intelligent predators who will employ all sorts of dirty tactics like letting a helpless crying little child walk through town as bait, in order to lure in any would-be heroes for an easy meal.

You will come across other survivors who have found ways to hide from the monsters, but it becomes this weird game of paranoia and distrust.
The whole game is just TENSE and the atmosphere is heavy, but with moments of levity and humanity sprinkled in here and there.

Every time you step outside into the cold dark exterior of the houses, the music just stops and it is this creepy silence.
Are you being watched?
Is it safe?.

You see traces of blood on the snow from unlucky victims during the initial slaughter. it feels like you could get spotted and torn to shreds at any moment, but consequently the best resources (even weapons) are found outside so it becomes a risk vs reward mental game that you play.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017

...who?

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
So these were the details according to the Jaffe thread (thanks Wrestleman )

I braved his YouTube channel to see the fuller context on this, because he put out a video after some media ran with this tweet.

Summary:
- He "knows for a fact there will be 2 very 'first party Sony big single player games at Thursday's showcase, if that's what you're looking for'
- Says he learned about the "mindblowing" title from a guy who is definitely in the know "but this thing is something the guy asked me if they were showing, and if he's asking about it it must be in production and far along."
- Says what is mind blowing about it is the combination of which IP it is and which developer is developing it, seemingly not the game itself necessarily.
- Says "this developer working on this is a CHOICE" with bewildered emphasis on "CHOICE".
- Says this mindblowing thing could be something to come later and not at the showcase since his informant was asking him if it was there, and he didn't even know it existed until he was asked about it.

And according to Winstano he's right about this one. Obviously "Sony is working on an exciting new PlayStation game" doesn't say much but the detail about the IP and developer combination is the interesting bit.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
So these were the details according to the Jaffe thread (thanks Wrestleman )

And according to Winstano he's right about this one. Obviously "Sony is working on an exciting new PlayStation game" doesn't say much but the detail about the IP and developer combination is the interesting bit.
- He "knows for a fact there will be 2 very 'first party Sony big single player games at Thursday's showcase, if that's what you're looking for'

This is the most interesting part.
Means whatever the game is, it's a known IP

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I assumed the two big singleplayer games were GOW and FW.

The other part about the mindblowing stuff sounds like a licensed IP.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia

giphy.gif

To be clear, in the video Jaffe is clear that the thing he considers the "mindblowing game" is separate from his knowledge of the Showcase and may not be at the Showcase itself. The 2 "very sony first party big single player" games are things he says he knows are at the showcase.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Sony really doesn't have any major third party WRPGs coming in the near or distant future, honestly. The best we're gonna see from here on out is Larian's games, and Larian's games don't really attempt to scratch the same itch as Bethesda or Obsidian's games. They're callbacks to a different style of heavily D&D-styled PC RPGs.

rumor has it that Fromsoftware are doing another PS5 exclusive. What with Demon's Souls and Bloodborne, no reason to assume its bullshit. I'll take that over Elder Scrolls anyday.

I wouldn't really compare From's games to Elder Scrolls at all - they're completely different types of game.

What if FROM are the Japanese dev working on Silent Hill 🤔

That would be a huge waste. :(

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
To be clear, in the video Jaffe is clear that the thing he considers the "mindblowing game" is separate from his knowledge of the Showcase and may not be at the Showcase itself. The 2 "very sony first party big single player" games are things he says he knows are at the showcase.
Yeah I understand that.
And thank you btw for giving us a TLDR from the video.

Just the way that he words it, seems to be talking about a known IP, the one that will mindblown the internet.
Doubt a new IP will do that, since is hard to imagine how the audience would react.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Yeah I understand that.
And thank you btw for giving us a TLDR from the video.

Just the way that he words it, seems to be talking about a known IP, the one that will mindblown the internet.
Doubt a new IP will do that, since is hard to imagine how the audience would react.

Gotcha, just clarifying. Yeah, I agree, the way he frames it is definitely a known IP being made by a dev that wouldn't be anyone's first thought to develop that IP. At a minimum a well known dev doing a strange genre for them.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020

dobahking91

Oct 26, 2017
I keep saying it Larian Studio (Divinity, Baldur's Gate III) can fill that Bethesda/Obsidian void.

With Sony embrassing PC market it makes even more sense now. Give Larian that PS studio budget and you have your own TES.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

Well he's not sure if the game he's talking about will be at the showcase. Those 2 games he's mentioning are apparently separate from this.

edit: whoop sorry already discussed

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017

It was that bad.

Yeah a lot of people tend to read or take so much stock in a developer's comments/thoughts/direction beyond what their statement originally intended, and a meme can form out of a misinterpretation over what someone said. It tends to be quite cynical as well, as often the person who talks on here or elsewhere is always the one making decisions regarding pricing and stuff but it gets taken out on them.

Personally if I was in game development I would just not have access to the internet except for work, or stay away from any social media channels whatsoever. No emails, no thoughts explained, no pictures, just one nice trailer at E3 or a similar show to show off the game, and a release date, that's it.

Of course these thoughts are why I'm not in advertising or considered a good up-seller lol. :)

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I think I will be ok as long as the hype game isn't based on a movie/superhero ip

Deleted member 95442

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2021
I keep saying it Larian Studio (Divinity, Baldur's Gate III) can fill that Bethesda/Obsidian void.

With Sony embrassing PC market it makes even more sense now. Give Larian that PS studio budget and you have your own TES.

I have been wondering that too, and if so I assume the deal would be already done seeing as Baldurs Gate 3 is almost ready to launch.

If they would be interested in the first place, though. They might, they already have achieved critical success and may now want to take a new challenge.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017

I would stop bitching about the lack of WRPGs on PlayStation forever if this happened. Clearly Sony acknowledges the importance of the genre, as they were trying to get time exclusivity for Starfield.

Pls, Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.