• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
With Housemarque officially with Sony, imagine if they did a remake or a sequel to Nex Machina now in 3rd person with the help of Sony's resources with graphics and animations while still keeping the heart of Housemargue's gameplay style? I'm excited about whatever they do next.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Full metal alchemist action game with guilty gear graphics

4xIr.gif
You sir are absolutely on point.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing really consistent with Sony acquiring studios is that they acquire those that they've developed games with. Aside from that it's impossible to judge who they'll want to pick up. Just look at Guerrilla. At the time they acquired them the only two games they had to their name was Shellshock, which is downright atrocious, and Killzone, which was okay. But they apparently saw something in them and now they have what might be the most anticipated game of the year. Meanwhile David Cage was pretty open about that he was not only okay with Sony acquiring Quantic Dream, but that he wanted it to happen. But they never pulled the trigger on it. Of course that turned out to be a good decision on Sony's part for a variety of reasons.

That's true. I was always surprised that they didn't acquire Quantic Dream but now it's maybe for the best that they didn't.

i feel like if the order had stuck the landing they would have. a big console release seems to be Sony's proving grounds. the order 1886 got absolutely demolished in word of mouth and critical reception and--if this had been a game Sony was actually reliant on--like say, if they were in position of weakness in the market and really needed a game to be a homerun, the order would've completed failed at that. it would've just been a point of mockery and derision against the console. think like Haze on PS3. so it's understandable in a way. the order launched early in PS4's life but by all metrics it flopped while in a dominant market position. it's not a great look. and, in fact, at the time PS4 had astounding word of mouth and the order was one of the few blemishes on a long hot streak of PR wins. if anything The Order may have cast some doubt on Sony's ability to deliver quality, lengthy SP games, too.

I think Sony should have cut RAD some slack - The Order was not only their first console game, but also their first AAA game, and their first game in the tps genre. It's not entirely unexpected that they weren't able to stick the landing 100% when they had such high ambitions.

I think the problem with RAD is that they found their corner to standout with FB/Oculus. Under Sony, they would have always lived under the shadows of ND and rest if they kept making games like The Order (hell just look at happened to poor Bend). With Lone Echo and the rest of their VR titles, they found themselves being at the top of their game in a different corner of the gaming market. So I think even if Sony made a bid for them, they probably would have taken the FB bid no matter what.

I assume they pitched Lone Echo to Sony before they pitched it to Oculus and Sony rejected it based off of The Order's performance, but I don't know if that's actually what happened. It's one of those things that seems true but maybe isn't...

Plus lets be honest, they had their shot and they blew it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They had their shot (Daxter) and they hit a bullseye, then they had a second shot (GoW: CoO) and they hit another bullseye, then they had a third shot (GoW: GoS) and hit yet another bullseye - 3 strikes and you're in!

Honestly, acquisitions aside, the fact that Sony didn't at the very least contract them to do games for the Vita is mind boggling - how do you not get the premiere PSP developer to make games for the PSP 2?! (Vita 😔)

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
With Housemarque officially with Sony, imagine if they did a remake or a sequel to Nex Machina now in 3rd person with the help of Sony's resources with graphics and animations while still keeping the heart of Housemargue's gameplay style? I'm excited about whatever they do next.

It's crazy that this entire genre of game has gotten so overlooked as far as selling power goes until recently. This is a very good studio to have under your belt.

Housemarque are gonna end up being the From Software of rogue-like shooters

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Also, I'd love if Housemarques next game is like a starfox type bullet hell that still kinda has the same systems of Returnal. I've been wanting a high budget starfox for ages.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The Bluepoint acquisition announcement will be pretty anticlimactic when they announce it tomorrow or even days later. Since they let it slip, they should'd've run with it. Now, whenever the announcement comes everyone will be like:

AdmiredLoneHypacrosaurus-small.gif

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
The Bluepoint acquisition announcement will be pretty anticlimactic when they announce it tomorrow or even days later. Since they let it slip, they should'd've run with it. Now, whenever the announcement comes everyone will be like:

AdmiredLoneHypacrosaurus-small.gif
I don't think it's that surprising either way to be fair

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I just hope to get the event's date today. Don't really care that much about acquisitions, specially when they seem safe bets. I hope it is next week.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Note to self: Do NOT stay up another 4+ hours to see if the Bluepoint acquisition comes through officially.

So very curious to see what Housemarque will have next. Still think they could get a Returnal expansion out with another 3-4 biomes. If it's not called The Return of the Eternal Returnal, I'll have to fight someone.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
www.gematsu.com

JP Games developing two large-scale titles in cooperation with major companies

JP Games, the studio led by Final Fantasy Type-0 and Final Fantasy XV director Hajime Tabata, has two new projects in development, each in cooperation with a major company, Tabata told the latest i…

Maybe with Sony ?
Even though both FFXV and Type-0 had issues here's hoping since it would be a good idea and I imagine Tabata's new team will take lessons from their time on those. Pretty rare for there to be a new large-scale JRPG dev these days so it would be a good move for them to get in early and would fit with their focus on partnering early with experienced talent formerly from big studios that are attempting to start new ones.

Last edited:

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
What are the partnerships we know about already? The Jade Reymond studio, the one from the ex destiny devs and the one from the ex cod devs... Anything else?

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
www.gematsu.com

JP Games, the studio led by Final Fantasy Type-0 and Final Fantasy XV director Hajime Tabata, has two new projects in development, each in cooperation with a major company, Tabata told the latest i…

Maybe with Sony ?
one can hope
What are the partnerships we know about already? The Jade Reymond studio, the one from the ex destiny devs and the one from the ex cod devs... Anything else?
Think that's all. But there's a lot of smoke about a Remedy Collab.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
I really think we're gonna get a show announcement soon. A lot of Sony stuff starting to come out now.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Those are the three they've announced so far so I think that's everything for moment unless there's been anything new, and we've seemingly gotten a renewal on the Remedy co-production rumors.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
www.gematsu.com

Maybe with Sony ?
I would like to believe, but Sony isn't going to publish a JRPG again (Forwardworks excluded). I am just hoping it's like Bandai or KOEI so that it's on the PS5. Fully expecting Microsoft and/or Nintendo though.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

Official-official:
- Haven
- Firewalk
- Deviation

Semi-official:
- Supermassive ( https://www.gematsu.com/2018/11/sup...on-several-unannounced-playstation-exclusives)

Rumored-and-likely:
- Firesprite (job listings that are hiring for a VR game based off console multi-million selling IP in the last 10 years)
- Arrowhead (job listings repeatedly reiterate that their games are PS/PC, and it's extremely unlikely any other publisher would give Arrowhead 6 years to make a AAA game)

Hopes-and-dreams:
- Remedy ( there's some smoke on it, but the 505-news also reduced the likelihood of it being true)

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Get some sleep

Whatever may be will be

When you wake up the Sky will be blue regardless

The sky was grey today :(

Heh, I gotta say it's nifty to be able to openly discuss acquisitions in the OT :) With Sony looking to consolidate some of their long standing relationships into acquisitions I wonder who else they may have approached...

KojiPro? I wouldn't be surprised at KojiPro, even with the fact that the studio is dependent upon one man.

Arrowhead? Maybe.

Sumo digital? That would be 8 additional studios in one fell swoop, and Sumo's proven they can do a great job with some of the Sony legacy IP like Sackboy. It would be nifty to have Sumo pick up games like Wipeout, Sly Cooper, Twisted Metal and more and continue those IP while also doing other stuff.

Regardless, even if it's just Housemarque and Bluepoint, those are amazing studios who are nowhere near reaching their full potential yet, but could definitely get there with PlayStation Studios backing.

I do think it goes without saying that Firewalk, Haven and Deviation are likely going to be considered depending on how their projects turn out and how their studio culture meshes with PlayStation Studios, even if Hulst isn't willing to publicly say it right now.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I would like to believe, but Sony isn't going to publish a JRPG again (Forwardworks excluded). I am just hoping it's like Bandai or KOEI so that it's on the PS5. Fully expecting Microsoft and/or Nintendo though.
Who knows. Since Japan Studio never got their production and output in order despite two attempts over many years at rebooting the studio they might use some of the money they saved on Japan Studio to fund a few things like this.

Last edited:

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Sumo Digital would be a terrible acquisition that hurts the industry since it not doesn't only have consolidation effects, it impacts non-gaming customers by cutting off 3P's broader access to a robust support-studio-structure that supports the co-development and external development resource for a dozen publishers/developers or more that rely on Sumo today for ports/external games/co-development support.

Shouldn't even be entertained imo.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
The sky was grey today :(

Heh, I gotta say it's nifty to be able to openly discuss acquisitions in the OT :) With Sony looking to consolidate some of their long standing relationships into acquisitions I wonder who else they may have approached...

KojiPro? I wouldn't be surprised at KojiPro, even with the fact that the studio is dependent upon one man.

Arrowhead? Maybe.

Sumo digital? That would be 8 additional studios in one fell swoop, and Sumo's proven they can do a great job with some of the Sony legacy IP like Sackboy. It would be nifty to have Sumo pick up games like Wipeout, Sly Cooper, Twisted Metal and more and continue those IP while also doing other stuff.

Regardless, even if it's just Housemarque and Bluepoint, those are amazing studios who are nowhere near reaching their full potential yet, but could definitely get there with PlayStation Studios backing.

I do think it goes without saying that Firewalk, Haven and Deviation are likely going to be considered depending on how their projects turn out and how their studio culture meshes with PlayStation Studios, even if Hulst isn't willing to publicly say it right now.

kojima productions is a waste to me. The most valuable thing is gonna be the IP. Once kojima retires or leaves the company is kinda done

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surpirsed if Bends next game is open world and borrows some systems from Day's Gone but ends up being radically different in every other way. I think with the old guard leaving the studio and a lot of new creative leads and writers we're gonna get a huge departure. Using some of the systems makes sense since from what I hear a lot part of the development studio that was hired are still there.

We might even get a space opera or something out there with the new game.
Yeah, them having a new set of staff at the top could lead to something very different while still building off all their new tech.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
one can hope

Think that's all. But there's a lot of smoke about a Remedy Collab.
Those 3 for now i believe
Those are the three they've announced so far so I think that's everything for moment unless there's been anything new, and we've seemingly gotten a renewal on the Remedy co-production rumors.
Official-official:
- Haven
- Firewalk
- Deviation

Semi-official:
- Supermassive ( https://www.gematsu.com/2018/11/sup...on-several-unannounced-playstation-exclusives)

Rumored-and-likely:
- Firesprite (job listings that are hiring for a VR game based off console multi-million selling IP in the last 10 years)
- Arrowhead (job listings repeatedly reiterate that their games are PS/PC, and it's extremely unlikely any other publisher would give Arrowhead 6 years to make a AAA game)

Hopes-and-dreams:
- Remedy ( there's some smoke on it, but the 505-news also reduced the likelihood of it being true)
Thanks. Forgot about the remedy rumors. Not the biggest fan of their games, but that would fit the Sony line up. Excited tonoearn more about the stuff you mentioned, Nightengale. The smaller Arriwhead games were fun and the Persistence looks great.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Sumo Digital would be a terrible acquisition that hurts the industry since it not doesn't only have consolidation effects, it impacts non-gaming customers by cutting off 3P's broader access to a robust support-studio-structure that supports the co-development and external development resource for a dozen publishers/developers or more that rely on Sumo today for ports/external games/co-development support.

Shouldn't even be entertained imo.

Everytime i think of a possible acquisition, I always think "will this hurt nintendo?"Not that have some urge to protect nintendo but more so the type of games made for it. Like i thoughtit could be cool to see square enix and sony, but then I thought hmm so no more project triangle and octopath games? No dragonquest on switch? That just sounds scummy

I like this current strategy

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
www.gematsu.com

Maybe with Sony ?

I am not concerned at all about PlayStation partnering with or publishing JRPGs. 90% chance any great JRPG will release on PlayStation regardless.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Who knows. Since Japan Studio never got their production and output in order despite two attempts over many years at rebooting the studio they might use some of the money they saved on Japan Studio to fund a few things like this.
We'll see. I'm just bracing for the worst, but trust, I'll be the happiest poster in this thread if Sony surprises us.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I don't know which JP GAMES & Tabata ends up for publisher...

But yeah, I'm myself couldn't see if SIE as sole publisher if your JRPG weren't a Final Fantasy or Persona even.

But hey, anything could happen I guess.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Welp, anytime in the next couple of days we could potentially get an announcement for an event next week. I'm all giddy with excitement to see what happens :)

Oct 27, 2017
Haven Studios finally has an early website and a logo

Also not a huge news, but the job description confirms their game will run at 60fps (eh)
Also there will be online, but I believe it's not new

They will be involved in designing and implementing systems that can scale with large populations of players and be easily maintained in the long run.

www.havenstudios.com

Home

We create havens for endless wonder.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Ok, since we're talking about acquisition prospects, how about in the fields of VR and mobile? If Sony's going to pick up anyone to help specifically expand those avenues then who're they likely to look at?

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Going to be honest. And this aquisitions news is really meh for me lol

Not to say that I'm not happy for HM, especially if they strugle to get founding for the games they love, but for me they being first party or being a collab with Sony is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.