• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Full metal alchemist action game with guilty gear graphics

4xIr.gif
Would want.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Interesting how nobody reputable is outright disputing the Bluepoint acquisition.
Once again, this proves insiders don't know shit. No one knew sony would announce this acquisition today or bluepoint would leak. No one knows anything pertaining to anything sony does and to a large extent nintendo and microsoft.

Also, they knew of Ghost of Tsushima stand alone content but didn't mention the remaster, why?

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone talking about GG but it actually would be interesting if that Arc System Rumour was also true and announced this week as well.

Sony having a fighting game studio would be a first for the company.

Yup this is the more interesting rumor, if they are planning for this week to announce Aquisitions then this would be crazy going into a event if they are having one soon

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yup this is the more interesting rumor, if they are planning for this week to announce Aquisitions then this would be crazy going into a event if they are having one soon
What is weird is that no insider on any form of social media or forums talked about said rumour.

Maybe it is BS or maybe something is there and it is a surprise? I always wondered why Sony would push even more into the FGC but not have their own fighting game studio.

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
Everyone talking about GG but it actually would be interesting if that Arc System Rumour was also true and announced this week as well.

Sony having a fighting game studio would be a first for the company.
I know that rumor started by someone banned off here but has anyone else commented on it at all? Or is it kinda just wishful thinking by this point

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I always thought it was weird and shortsighted for Sony to have never made a bid for Ready at Dawn. Like, yeah, The Order 1886 was a bit of a misfire, but it was still fun, not to mention technically astounding. Plus they were pretty much the premier developer for PSP (Daxter, God of War Chains of Olympus, and God of War Ghost of Sparta) and could have been the premiere developer for PSVR, if Lone Echo is anything to go by (I feel like Sony needs a few PSVR exclusive developers if they want it to really take off next time around 🤔 ).

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I know that rumor started by someone banned off here but has anyone else commented on it at all? Or is it kinda just wishful thinking by this point
I believe the reason it was talked about is because said person leaked the GoT stand alone spinoff game

maybe the rest is BS though, don't know that much about that person either way but I don't recall any insider trying to debunk it even though word got around about Arc System and Sony

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
if anything Dreams got cut off from the crop

Damn i didn't even realize that. Poor Media Molecule.....

Arcsys is a publisher, aren't they? That would be a pretty big get for sony, in terms of their anime division and licensing and their fighting game push. It's a tried and true fighting game studio but still mostly niche to where it wouldn't cause too much of an uproar like getting NetherRealm or capcom exclusivity again

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
I always thought it was weird and shortsighted for Sony to have never made a bid for Ready at Dawn. Like, yeah, The Order 1886 was a bit of a misfire, but it was still fun, not to mention technically astounding. Plus they were pretty much the premier developer for PSP (Daxter, God of War Chains of Olympus, and God of War Ghost of Sparta) and could have been the premiere developer for PSVR, if Lone Echo is anything to go by (I feel like Sony needs a few PSVR exclusive developers if they want it to really take off next time around 🤔 ).
100%

Oct 25, 2017
IDK. I don't feel Sony missed out on anything NOT getting RAD. Their PSP output was great, but their premiere game just didn't do it. Looked great but was not fun to play and I feel like both parties just decided to move on after that.

Banned
Jun 12, 2021
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Agree with everything. Losing RAD hurt the most.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I believe it amounts to different times and different leadership. The industry is way different now then it was then. SIE back then wasn't looking to acquire and expand as much as they are now with said partnerships.

I do agree though that losing R@D was a mistake. They would've been a great AAA and VR studio for Sony.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

The only thing really consistent with Sony acquiring studios is that they acquire those that they've developed games with. Aside from that it's impossible to judge who they'll want to pick up. Just look at Guerrilla. At the time they acquired them the only two games they had to their name was Shellshock, which is downright atrocious, and Killzone, which was okay. But they apparently saw something in them and now they have what might be the most anticipated game of the year. Meanwhile David Cage was pretty open about that he was not only okay with Sony acquiring Quantic Dream, but that he wanted it to happen. But they never pulled the trigger on it. Of course that turned out to be a good decision on Sony's part for a variety of reasons.

illmatic22

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Bowl LII Champions
For The Order 1886 to have reviewed so poorly after Sony likely poured millions into it was a big black eye for Ready at Dawn. I loved their PSP output but 1886 may have been the only SIE published title I regretted buying on PS4.

Rapon Tran

Nov 8, 2017
The only thing really consistent with Sony acquiring studios is that they acquire those that they've developed games with. Aside from that it's impossible to judge who they'll want to pick up. Just look at Guerrilla. At the time they acquired them the only two games they had to their name was Shellshock, which is downright atrocious, and Killzone, which was okay. But they apparently saw something in them and now they have what might be the most anticipated game of the year. Meanwhile David Cage was pretty open about that he was not only okay with Sony acquiring Quantic Dream, but that he wanted it to happen. But they never pulled the trigger on it. Of course that turned out to be a good decision on Sony's part for a variety of reasons.

I think the reason why SIE not acquire QD because of the alleging toxic workplace at the time despite QD later win in the court recently in April 2021.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
i feel like if the order had stuck the landing they would have. a big console release seems to be Sony's proving grounds. the order 1886 got absolutely demolished in word of mouth and critical reception and--if this had been a game Sony was actually reliant on--like say, if they were in position of weakness in the market and really needed a game to be a homerun, the order would've completed failed at that. it would've just been a point of mockery and derision against the console. think like Haze on PS3. so it's understandable in a way. the order launched early in PS4's life but by all metrics it flopped while in a dominant market position. it's not a great look. and, in fact, at the time PS4 had astounding word of mouth and the order was one of the few blemishes on a long hot streak of PR wins. if anything The Order may have cast some doubt on Sony's ability to deliver quality, lengthy SP games, too.

Rapon Tran

Nov 8, 2017
I still think SIE is doing the right move by acquiring studios close to them, but not just only close also the quality overall.
Also I love to see SIE acquire Bluepoint (if true), but somehow I feel like BP need to prove themself by making their original true IP, not a remaking graphic from an already solid foundation classic game. I think despite SOTC and DS remake is very great, but there is nothing ground breaking different from those titles in terms of new things, especially comparing to those "remake" titles such as RE2R or FF7R....

And if SOTC or DS can still be considering as a remake, then Team Crash Racing Nitro-fueled - Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy - Spyro Reignited Trilogy should be considered as remake as well.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
I still think SIE is doing the right move by acquiring studios close to them, but not just only close also the quality overall.
Also I love to see SIE acquire Bluepoint (if true), but somehow I feel like BP need to prove themself by making their original true IP, not a remaking graphic from an already solid foundation classic game. I think despite SOTC and DS remake is very great, but there is nothing ground breaking different from those titles in terms of new things, especially comparing to RE2R or FF7R....

And if SOTC or DS can still be considering as a remake, then Team Crash Racing Nitro-fueled - Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy - Spyro Reignited Trilogy should be considered as remake as well.

I don't really think Bluepoint ever needs to be more than a remake studio if they don't want and they would still be worthy of an acquisition. As much as people bemoan the idea of remakes, they love them.

Everyone here probably has at least 5 games they want to see be remade with the level level of care and detail as Demon's Souls. If They should put out their own IP and it flops, guess what? There are always more games to remake.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Also I love to see SIE acquire Bluepoint (if true), but somehow I feel like BP need to prove themself by making their original true IP, not a remaking graphic from an already solid foundation classic game. I think despite SOTC and DS remake is very great, but there is nothing ground breaking different from those titles in terms of new things, especially comparing to those "remake" titles such as RE2R or FF7R....

Nah they dont need to prove anything they great at what they do and would be a immense help to Sony going forward Sony can reveal so many Ips with them. They dont new an original IP.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Nah they dont need to prove anything they great at what they do and would be a immense help to Sony going forward Sony can reveal so many Ips with them. They dont new an original IP.

I also think if sony and From collaborate on another game I'd like to see Bluepoint in the drivers seat, or assisting in a greater capacity than Japan Studio.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I think the problem with RAD is that they found their corner to standout with FB/Oculus. Under Sony, they would have always lived under the shadows of ND and rest if they kept making games like The Order (hell just look at happened to poor Bend). With Lone Echo and the rest of their VR titles, they found themselves being at the top of their game in a different corner of the gaming market. So I think even if Sony made a bid for them, they probably would have taken the FB bid no matter what.

Plus lets be honest, they had their shot and they blew it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey

Sony has a massive portfolio of legacy IP that have been dormant for at least a decade, and I believe Jim Ryan said he wants to resurrect more dormant IP in the future, so Bluepoint could be a smart purchase for them as a means to bring back PlayStation's legacy in some capacity. Not to mention Bluepoint has a lot of good technology that Sony's internal studios could implement in their future games and vice versa.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
I cincur, the best games on PSP were the RAD games. I actually liked 1886 despite its flaws and thought it would redeem itself in the follow up.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
I think the problem with RAD is that they found their corner to standout with FB/Oculus. Under Sony, they would have always lived under the shadows of ND and rest if they kept making games like The Order (hell just look at happened to poor Bend). With Lone Echo and the rest of their VR titles, they found themselves being at the top of their game in a different corner of the gaming market. So I think even if Sony made a bid for them, they probably would have taken the FB bid no matter what.

Plus lets be honest, they had their shot and they blew it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I wouldn't be surpirsed if Bends next game is open world and borrows some systems from Day's Gone but ends up being radically different in every other way. I think with the old guard leaving the studio and a lot of new creative leads and writers we're gonna get a huge departure. Using some of the systems makes sense since from what I hear a lot part of the development studio that was hired are still there.

We might even get a space opera or something out there with the new game.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
One of my favorite things in Returnal is how each boss's name bears some significance in Greek mythology (some very minor spoilers).
Phrike - the goddess of horror
Ixion - King of the Lapiths, son of Ares and Perimele
Nemesis - Goddess of Revenge/Retribution
Hyperion - One of the titan children of Gaia
Ophion - Elder Titan ruler of the Earth, his appearance resembled that of the serpent, which suggests why the boss looks like a giant octopus thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Damn i didn't even realize that. Poor Media Molecule.....

Arcsys is a publisher, aren't they? That would be a pretty big get for sony, in terms of their anime division and licensing and their fighting game push. It's a tried and true fighting game studio but still mostly niche to where it wouldn't cause too much of an uproar like getting NetherRealm or capcom exclusivity again
I don't know how they couldn't resize it so that dreams isn't cut off on the far right

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Do not entertain this Arc System rumor, there is no basis whatsoever and came from a bad source, yes, he might have been the first person to mention Ghost's expansion but this doesn't mean much since apparently the info was out there for a while.
Like, not saying it's IMPOSSIBLE but the rumor itself is flawed.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Been out of hte loop lately, what rumors pinpoint Arc system?
Same guy who first broke the Ghost of Tsushima expansion claims Sony is in talks to acquire Arc System Works. I would post his twitter feed but his content isn't allowed here. It's an Xbox fanboy account so definitely take a decently sized grain of salt, but if he got something right then maybe this one isn't right either? it also should be noted there's no corroboration that Sony is indeed talking to Arc. Only that account is making that claim.

Rapon Tran

Nov 8, 2017
Sony has a massive portfolio of legacy IP that have been dormant for at least a decade, and I believe Jim Ryan said he wants to resurrect more dormant IP in the future, so Bluepoint could be a smart purchase for them as a means to bring back PlayStation's legacy in some capacity. Not to mention Bluepoint has a lot of good technology that Sony's internal studios could implement in their future games and vice versa.

I remember BP once said that they wanna make their own game as well before moving to remastered/remake classic games. I know it would be nice to let BP remaking classics but I hope they will brave enough to add more contents not just some small tweaks or quality of life only. I know they could do even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.