• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017
ActualSolidHart-size_restricted.gif
Thank you now i'm waiting to see a gif of Cooper crying watching all the games that Japan Studio has made :(

So the JRPG dream is dead even if Sony could work with a Japanese studio to make one but what are the options, Level 5 or maybe Media Vision ?

Zaywop

Dec 19, 2020
People should know by now:
State of Play: Mostly Indies and Third Party stuff. Maybe a huge reveal.
Specific State of Play: Extensive Gameplay for a First Party game.
PlayStation Showcase/Event: All of the above with more First Party Stuff.

How do you guys still not get it?
Why use logic when doom is right there?

/s

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah I want to apologize to the writer at Bloomberg, I made jokes, I laughed at their articles but they were spouting truths from day one.
He was right, PS5 production has been awful and the console has cooling issues.
I'd bet 12-16 weeks or so for a Future of Gaming show or whatever they're going to call the big events from now on.
Agreed after the next State of Play. People should not have their hopes up for State of Plays in terms of big new announcements. It's mostly for Indy games and known properties.

Jan 20, 2019
What also funny everything he doing has happen with other heads or PS or would have happen any way .
Unless people think PC ports or game price would have not raise without him etc etc then lol

Do you really think Shawn would done anything different ?

Everything he is doing was been happening for a very long time, is just that in his line of work the last guy to stay pick up the pieces.

The entire situation in Japan Studio happen during Shawn and Shuhei Yoshida, the games coming to PC was hited by Shawn.

I mean, i see peopel blaming the guy for FF7 remake been timed exclusive.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you now i'm waiting to see a gif of Cooper crying watching all the games that Japan Studio has made :(

So the JRPG dream is dead even if Sony could work with a Japanese studio to make one but what are the options, Level 5 or maybe Media Vision ?

Media.Vision's last PS4 game was trash-tier. They don't have what it takes. Neither does Level 5.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
What does all this mean for all of Japan Studio's IPs?

Which studio at WWS takes ownership of them?

Is Sony's long-term plan to license the IPs to external/3P developers and publishers?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Is Sony's long-term plan to license the IPs to external/3P developers and publishers?

They're gone. Nobody's going to decide to make another Gravity Rush or Wild ARMs game. All those franchises are dead.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017

Publisher? No but I can see them tossing I.Ps to third party devs to make "2nd Party" games.

Although I don't believe that is happening anytime soon, especially right after this dissolving of a studio.

Think of it like MotorStorm or WipeEout, etc...

MediEvil got a remake by Other Ocean but that was a few years after.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
How are those Astro Bot, Blood & Truth, Dreams, Concrete Genie sales?

Astro bot sales were most likely good for 25 team and VR which why they still around but a little large now lol
MM had made a ton of profit and dreams sales not huge but the team not big either same for Pixelopus .
Don't really know to much about Team Soho to say anything .

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
And the Deathloop trailer has....16K views.
People are sleeping on Deathloop. Best trailer by far and literally the only PS5 game shown, but I hope it being one of like 2 next-gen games this summer help its sales.
I will never understand how these Freddy games still have a big fanbase lol like I thought people moved on from dumb jump scare simulator.

I'm really surprised GTA V next gen didn't show up.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017

The IP are not worthwhile. Sony doesn't care.

(I would say the one I'm surprised about is Everybody's Golf.)

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People are sleeping on Deathloop. Best trailer by far and literally the only PS5 game shown, but I hope it being one of like 2 next-gen games this summer help its sales.
I will never understand how these Freddy games still have a big fanbase lol like I thought people moved on from dumb jump scare simulator.

I'm really surprised GTA V next gen didn't show up.
I think that studio is doomed, hopefully Microsoft looks after them.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Everything he is doing was been happening for a very long time, is just that in his line of work the last guy to stay pick up the pieces.

The entire situation in Japan Studio happen during Shawn and Shuhei Yoshida, the games coming to PC was hited by Shawn.

I mean, i see peopel blaming the guy for FF7 remake been timed exclusive.

Truth is Japan studio had problems even when Kaz was the head of PS and they had separate team heads.
It was back in the PS3 days they send someone to fix things and it did not work out .

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

SIE in general owns them. All those Japan Studio IPs are pretty much dead now. Expect more Astro Bot games.
Jesus, Japan Studio fans are puzzling.
Just think: Japan was so unprofitable it lost to Dreams.
Dreams.
A game which as roughly 5 players.
TOTAL.
Well I know it can be puzzling. Some people being sad that one of the two japanese studios Sony had is dead now and all that is left is a small Astro Bot team and a Gran Turismo factory. But hey, it is what it is these days with the new SIE.
Oh and Dreams and 5 players? Come one man. 4.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they might take it down like they did with Zipper, or other former WWS channels.

If so then watch their studio culture videos before it is gone for good.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Probably helps that MM actually had a big hot seller in the last 10 years lol otherwise they would be dead too.

Yep and was still bringing in profit all during this gen plus they were small lol.
A team of 40 people made two 5 million sellers and Japan studio with 200 plus people i doubt there games get to 5 million with all of them combine .

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
not even the external support team that helped with Bloodborne, Demon's souls will remain so that means no more collaborations like this anymore? the hell is jim ryan doing
A few external development people will get integrated into SIE Japan ("will be concentrated into the global branding"). But it's a small crew, according to Bloomberg. So don't expect much. Mostly Gran Turismo and Astro Bot.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
It feels negative because a couple of people who seem overly negative on everything, post way too much. And they love to let us know how down they feel about PlayStation on every page about any topic that pops up.

Personally, I am over the moon with how everything is going. PS5 is amazing, the games coming look amazing and the future looks bright on that front. Sony competing with other companies in the aquisition sphere will always be difficult. Long term that may become an issue, but in the short to medium term PlayStation remains king.

The SOP was not the holy grail of gaming people themselves hyped it to be, but it still had some really nice games on display. The fact that its only the beginning of the year, and that we had an insane information dump with the events in the second half of 2020 seems to have escaped peoples minds already.

Yeah maybe that is the thing. I'd love to post more positivity on here but I'm more of a lurker who writes some insights I have every now and then haha

Lots of things to look forward to.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Yep and was still bringing in profit all during this gen plus they were small lol.
A team of 40 people made two 5 million sellers and Japan studio with 200 plus people i doubt there games get to 5 million with all of them combine .

Yep, pretty much. They probably could live from LBP profits alone for 10 years whithout making another single game lol

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
I don't understand the general sentiment of Sony Japan Studios re-centering on Team Asobi and Astrobot as a bad thing. It's a great move. Watch the next feature length Astrobot game sell over 10M, and receive extraordinary reviews.

Additionally, if Solar Ash had the Sony Japan Studios logo page before its reveal, nobody would blink because that is the scope of game we have come to expect from Sony Japan over the past two generations.

Furthermore, Keiichiro Toyama and a number of followers from Sony Japan Studios left over a year ago to start a new studio according to the VGC article. I'm sure we'll see their output make its way on PlayStation at some point.

In conclusion, all is good y'all!

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Btw, have you noticed that they always give bad news after a SoP?

Be careful what you wish for lol

Status
Not open for further replies.