• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I'm choosing to go against the grain and view this situation with a silver lining.

I don't think this is necessarily bad. The costs of operating in Tokyo must be astronomical. Hopefully Sony is retaining the majority, if not all of their Sony Japan Studios employees. And then hopefully this reorganization allows for better work/life balancing for the employees in turn.

Additionally, centering the majority of their team around Team Asobi is a good thing. Astrobot can be, should be, a global mega hit. Eventually the studio can grow organically (I know we all hate this, but its a real thing), and maybe produce some passion projects outside of the Astro IP at some point this generation.
I agree with you completely, so you're not alone.

Jan 20, 2019
Oh come on. There's a difference between this and the ridiculous overreactions that go on in this thread. Remember the Bend nonsense when people were worried they would fold? The freaking out over every acquisition rumor no matter how nonsensical? The complete meltdown over years-old PC ports? Don't use this one example as a reason to justify all the nonsense that goes on in this thread all.the.time.

Even this isn't the end of the world. The Studio was in rough shape long before Jim Ryan took over, and has basically been an Astrobot and external studio since 2018. Not a ton has changed, this is just a formal bow to wrap up the bad news.

Im not talking about any of that, that is just nonsense that peopel bring without any facts or evidence.

The situation regarding Japan Studio was brought months ago with evidence

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
another Astro VR Game is a given, but hopefully they 'can' get big enough to work on both VR and Console Games.
hopefully...can...es tut weh
Ganz ehrlich? Sony ist fertig mit Japan. Asobi Team wird ungefähr so groß bleiben wie PixelOpus. Nur ein wenig größer. Alles was wir kriegen werden ist eine weiteres Astro Bot VR Game und spielbare Demos wie Astro's Playroom. Mehr wird da nicht kommen. Absolut armseelig.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Im not talking about any of that, that is just nonsense that peopel bring without any facts or evidence.

The situation regarding Japan Studio was brought months ago with evidence

That's fair, the trouble is that some users here don't distinguish between those two things. I agree that Bloomberg shouldn't have been dismissed so readily. They're a legitimate business outlet and don't usually push stories out of thin air.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Arkane doesn't spend a ton of money on their games so if it can get to 2-3 million with PS5+PC sales, plus Gamepass later, they'll probably be okay with that.

Also Deathloop seems to be a little closer to an action game than something like Dishonored, it's got roguelike elements as well. Arkane is trying to branch out into genres that might actually sell while keeping some of the DNA of their older games.

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ignore is the best feature which helps me post on era sometimes, should be using more.

Anyways Excited For Kena ! Awaiting Queen Vulpix OT

Good to see the first game they showed returnal which deserved the push.

Solar Ash and Syfu looks amazing.

For this to be a nail in the cofin off the ps5, Japan Studio had to be relevant in the ps4 time, they werent.

No point explaining

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Makes you wonder how SS1 remake will sell.

Probably about as much as the Dishonored games do. I think a big problem with them is for the games to really sing you need to actually take advantage of all the abilities that they give you. But if you just play the games straight they aren't all that interesting. And I think that's where they fall down as far as not being able to appeal to a broader audience.

Deleted member 34788

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I must be blind or going crazy suddenly people i've never seen in a playstation thread are super concerned about playstation.

Nah you ain't going crazy.

We've likely had more negative discussion about studio Japan then discussion about its previous games then the last couple of OTs combined, or will have when this singular OT is done. Makes you think, huh..

I'd be much more affected by the news if studio japan didn't just become background furniture over the past 2 Sony gens. They had a decade , and more, to try and figure a reason and rhyme to HD game development, then modern development afterwards. They didn't adapt and when your peers speed past you and leap into being the darlings of the industry this is the outcome.

Still, they worked on a very highly rated and premier launch title and will work on other industry setting games.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Probably about as much as the Dishonored games do. I think a big problem with them is for the games to really sing you need to actually take advantage of all the abilities that they give you. But if you just play the games straight they aren't all that interesting. And I think that's where they fall down as far as not being able to appeal to a broader audience.
Yea, it's sort similar to the metroidvania issue, except where with that the appeal is actually backtracking, which isn't a broad appeal. For immersive sims, the creative factor is really important.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
SS1 remake doesn't have nearly the profile even of something like Dishonored, it won't sell even in that meager league. But the budget is way lower.

The writing is on the wall about AAA Immersive Sims not selling, it's now about lower budget games and AAA games incorporating elements of those games.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Ssm has 352 on LinkedIn but they have more than that. 400+
Guerrilla has 388 on Linkedin , more than 400.

Naughty Dog has 485 on LinkedIn, more than 500.
SSM doesn't have anywhere near that lmfao. Doing some digging with Waybackmachine, between 23 June 2019 and 20 January 2021 their website was updated to change the line "With origins from Brazil to Poland to small town USA, the studio is home to over 200 world class talented developers putting the player experience first in every creative decision." to "With origins spanning the globe - from Brazil to Poland to small town USA, we are home to over 250 world class developers who strive to push the medium forward with every creative decision." There's no way they secretly hired 150+ new people without that somehow leaking. We would have known due to an insane amount of job listings and people in the industry talking about it. They're probably somewhere below 300 although they might indeed be looking at some sizeable expansion given the job listings which confirmed a 2nd project.
Guerrilla also doesn't have more than 400, their goal was up to 400 and the new office space which enabled that expansion wasn't even ready for use until August of last year. They're probably somewhere in the 300.

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
User Warned and Threadbanned (1 Week): Concern Trolling, Doomposting Over a Series of Posts; Was Threadbanned in the Previous OT for the Same.

Deleted member 34788

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
He is been with Sony since the ps1, nothing that is doing is short term.

It's also fucking hilarious to think anyone who is for short term profit would stick with a company that went through a terrible time for more then half a decade.

Likely putting in stupid hours dawn till dusk to try and turn a massive loss into a net positive.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ssm has 352 on LinkedIn but they have more than that. 400+
Guerrilla has 388 on Linkedin , more than 400.

Naughty Dog has 485 on LinkedIn, more than 500.
LinkedIn isn't accurate. When I search after the employees for my company I will find ~200. In reality it's ~95.
LinkedIn shows former employees, people who did not update their profile, etc.
SSM isn't even close to that size of Guerrilla Games right now. And as GG already said, their goal is 400.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I don't. But we have had better lol. I was a huge fan of Shawn.

but why? I'm talking specifically, not " good games came out during his tenure so I'm going to attribute that to him". Like if you are going to argue that Jim Ryan is bad at his job without any actual tangible evidence, what metrics are you using? Do you even know what his job is?

Status
Not open for further replies.