• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
ActualSolidHart-size_restricted.gif
ca59cbfee268af661f154f4fb4aa2f9a09556873.gif

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just remember to support the games and studios you believe in. 🙏

Jim Ryan is quick, he won't even know what Studio he is killing, what franchise he ends, he will just know he deleted a negative number on his spread sheet to keep his numbers in the green.

It is up to the consumer. Don't wait for a game to come to PS+ if you believe in it.

Thanks. 👍

Hope this is a joke post

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I'll reserve my judgment on the bit about external production till Sony's next conference. If they are still gonna partner with JP devs then its fine by me. If they have no partnership games announced in June, then I'll panic lol

They will still have partnerships with JP devs even more so for the big ones.
Don't think anybody has to worry about that .
All these marketing and timed exclusive deal were not done by Japan Studio alone .

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
This stuff is nothing new to Jim or Sony .
A studio that fail to perform get cut down and that is it .
He not new to this business so i really wonder what aspect you looking at.
Were all those other people that we head of PS that shut down studios number people ?
It was sad then it is sad now.

I think unlike last time though Jim Ryan is also unsocial beyond statistics so no one can relate to him and so people like myself are distance in terms of what we know he will bring in the future.

I only know he will bring cut throat profits though so if I was a stock investor I'd be happy.

Last edited:

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Huh? Asobi Team and the support team still exists.

They basically ended Team Gravity, which is a shame anyway.
Mark Cerny during his Knack 2 interview said there was about 5 "teams" or rather leads and people would shuffle from one to the other to get games done.

I until a few hours ago assumed they just centered it into one AAA team for Silent Hill besides Team Asobi but that seemed not to be the case.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Gravity Rush seems kind of like Wonderful 101. The characters/games got so much fanart and praise, and based just off forums, you would think they were huge games.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Studio Japan clearly had multiple projects canned. They shipped TLG, GR2 and Knack 2 within a year in 16/17 but since then, only Astro Bot games have released from their internal teams. They weren't doing nothing for 3-4 years. Had to have been a major factor in the reduction.

Deleted member 90921

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2021
Wait so, the support team at Japan Studio is still around? So the people that helped Bluepoint with the Demon's Souls remake are still there? I know the producers left but they weren't involved in the remake right?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
It was sad then it was sad now.

I think unlike last time though Jim Ryan is also unsocial beyond statistics so no one can relate to him and so people like myself are distance in terms of what we know he will bring in the future.

I only know he will bring cut throat profits though so if I was a stock investor I'd be happy.

Jim sometimes don't do good PR but i don't think he is unsocial beyond statistics .
You can see his game play and it not much different from what Sony was doing in the past .
Grow there internal studios , pay for deals etc etc .
Yes certain things under his watch but those thing were going to happen no matter what like , studio getting shut down , price getting rise , even PC ports .
Some people want someone to blame but to me it's business as usual for Sony .
At least they try and save something out of Japan compare to full shut down of other devs .

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Wait so, the support team at Japan Studio is still around? So the people that helped Bluepoint with the Demon's Souls remake are still there? I know the producers left but they weren't involved in the remake right?

Yes, but now under "PS Studios" branding like the other studios.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Jim sometimes don't do good PR but i don't think he is unsocial beyond statistics .
You can see his game play and it not much different from what Sony was doing in the past .
Yes certain things under his watch but those thing were going to happen no matter what like , studio getting shut down , price getting rise , even PC ports .
At least they try and save something out of Japan comapre to full shut down .
It was probably costly but I would've liked it if Japan Studio tried one more chance in a single AAA project to see if they can move on from being 5 teams to a single one team.

Let it ship and see where it goes. Better yet do an old I.P favoured by many as well.

For now though I guess I got to believe in 2nd party doing that instead. I am happy though that Team Asobi wasn't killed as collateral.

OP
OP
JuanLatino

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
so will Asobi even work on home console games or will they focus mainly on VR? (Astro Bot, VR 2)

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
so will Asobi even work on home console games or will they focus mainly on VR? (Astro Bot, VR 2)

With how the Astrobot pack-in is being received, they'll most likely do a fuller game of non-VR Astro and do a VR game as well. Which probably would have been about the production of the Studio as it was before, honestly.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so happy about the FF VII news. A free upgrade from Square Enix? What happened?

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Returnal is really looking good.
I hope those FP parts happen a bit. Looked gorgeous!

Also- Yuffie in FFVIIR:I was a cool surprise. I wonder if the guy is a model/animation template for Cid eventually? 😅

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
It was probably costly but I would've liked it if Japan Studio tried one more chance in a single AAA project to see if they can move on from being 5 teams to a single one team.

Let it ship and see where it goes. Better yet do an old I.P favoured by many as well.

For now though I guess I got to believe in 2nd party doing that instead. I am happy though that Team Asobi wasn't killed as collateral.

I would have like that also but it did not seem to have work out .
I am hoping the team can do a SSM .
They had a project cancel and lost a good amount of people and now look at them trying again .
I hope with time that Asobi Team can do they same but time will tell.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
At least they try and save something out of Japan compare to full shut down of other devs .
People are not paying attention but ssm, guerrilla and naughty dog are all with almost 500 staff each and we know ssm is moving to 2 teams and probably guerrilla has two teams too.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah I want to apologize to the writer at Bloomberg, I made jokes, I laughed at their articles but they were spouting truths from day one.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP
JuanLatino

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
With how the Astrobot pack-in is being received, they'll most likely do a fuller game of non-VR Astro and do a VR game as well.
If they are going to get any meaningful support from SIE due to this "restructuring", no reason whatsoever why they shouldn't be able to do both. Their resources will be theirs only.

i really hope that.
Don't want to see them become the next London Studio (no offense, but i can't be excited about games that i cannot play unless buying an extra device, no matter how good they are)

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I would have like that also but it did not seem to have work out .
I am hoping the team can do a SSM .
They had a project cancel and lost a good amount of people and now look at them trying again .
I hope with time that Asobi Team can do they same bu time will tell.
Long term I hope Team Asobi's games sell well, the gradually grow again and continue to produce games and then eventually we have a big Japanese studio again that could do multiple projects or at least two at a time but this time with profits.

I hope Team Asobi never dies, they can one day carry the mantel of Japan Studio I.Ps and revive them again.

Jan 20, 2019
Oh yeah I want to apologize to the writer at Bloomberg, I made jokes, I laughed at their articles but they were spouting truths from day one.

Good, this should stick in the button of this page next time WE bring something here, so that WE dont get attacked when we dont bring good news.

We told you, and by you, everybody in this thread, this news months ago.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Good, this should stick in the button of this page next time WE bring something here, so that WE dont get attacked when we dont bring good news.

Yup you were right, I apologize to all of those that believed in the Bloomberg stuff.

I was trying to snuff it down with baseless hope, I am sorry.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
Yep. It's pretty much over, as expected.

I'm choosing to go against the grain and view this situation with a silver lining.

I don't think this is necessarily bad. The costs of operating in Tokyo must be astronomical. Hopefully Sony is retaining the majority, if not all of their Sony Japan Studios employees. And then hopefully this reorganization allows for better work/life balancing for the employees in turn.

Additionally, centering the majority of their team around Team Asobi is a good thing. Astrobot can be, should be, a global mega hit. Eventually the studio can grow organically (I know we all hate this, but its a real thing), and maybe produce some passion projects outside of the Astro IP at some point this generation.

Jan 20, 2019
I'm choosing to go against the grain and view this situation with a silver lining.

I don't think this is necessarily bad. The costs of operating in Tokyo must be astronomical. Hopefully Sony is retaining the majority, if not all of their Sony Japan Studios employees. And then hopefully this reorganization allows for better work/life balancing for the employees in turn.

Additionally, centering the majority of their team around Team Asobi is a good thing. Astrobot can be, should be, a global mega hit. Eventually the studio can grow organically (I know we all hate this, but its a real thing), and maybe produce some passion projects outside of the Astro IP at some point this generation.

It is not a bad decision, is a smart one actualy.

They are focusing their resources in the IP that can bring them the most sucess in the long run.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020

Oh come on. There's a difference between this and the ridiculous overreactions that go on in this thread. Remember the Bend nonsense when people were worried they would fold because a couple of team members left? The freaking out over every acquisition rumor no matter how nonsensical? The complete meltdown over years-old PC ports? Don't use this one example as a reason to justify all the nonsense that goes on in this thread all.the.time. People should have accepted that Bloomberg generally has good sources, but a lot of the time they have good reason to roll their eyes and feel exhausted by the constant doom posting.

Even this isn't the end of the world. The Studio was in rough shape long before Jim Ryan took over, and has basically been an Astrobot and external studio since 2018. Not a ton has changed, this is just a formal bow to wrap up the bad news.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Let me see how many games from Japan Studio i bought in the last 10 years... yep i guess I can't complain.

OP
OP
JuanLatino

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
They will remain a small team. With the announcement of PSVR2 yesterday, you can pretty much guess that their next game will be an Astro VR game for PSVR2.

another Astro VR Game is a given, but hopefully they 'can' get big enough to work on both VR and Console Games.
hopefully...can...es tut weh

Status
Not open for further replies.