• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think a company with the resources Sony has should be aiming for those kind of games in the first place.

Instead they should aim to have big titles like Capcom or SE do, which sell well worldwide.

It is what it is though, no point in expecting that to happen now.
Well right, and apparently the Japan Studios people didn't want to, and wanted to keep making the more quirky games.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So.... Japan Studio is basically ASOBI Team & a support studio.
Japan Studio is dead. Asobi Team will be its own thing for some Astro Bot games on PSVR2. And a few remaining external development devs will be concentrated within the global functions of PlayStation Studios.

Oct 25, 2017
"External production, software localization, and IP management of JAPAN Studio titles will be concentrated within the global functions of PlayStation Studio"

What is this supposed to even mean? That their JS titles are being concentrated within global functions? What does that vague jargon even mean?

Most likely that the same production infrastructure within Sony that supports Housemarque with Returnal or Sumo with Sackboy or Bluepoint with Demon's Souls. etc. will be liaising with whatever Japanese developers Sony works with, rather than that stuff being sectioned off to a separate Japanese team.

Deleted member 90921

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2021
Also idk if Team Asobi actually grew or not. It wasn't like Japan Studio really had teams, they moved around a lot.

Rather Team Asobi is what is left after Jim killed them. Which at least for that I am grateful since I hope AstroBot will live on for a long time.

I will wait to see what Jim Ryan adds or greenlights in the future with his vision of spread sheets, it will indeed bring profit to SIE even if it is short sighted.

Maybe I can eventually access him once the legacy of his predecessors and the games and projects they greenlight, etc... runs out and he eventually leaves his own mark under his own era and not of those from House, Layden, etc...
Ryan knows what hes doing.
Does anyone think Sony will [REDACTED] a studio/publisher from Japan?
100% yes

Deleted member 90921

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2021
There's a dedicated thread about the recent Studio Japan news too for those who'd like to talk about it in depth.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ig...-to-handle-localization-ip-management.385112/

Studio Japan discussion isn't banned in this OT of course, I'd just like to ask for people to try and not to rehash old arguments, to not derail this OT with extreme doom and gloom and to not antagonize or attack one another.
Youre gonna have to ban it soon lol its gonna be 100 pages of arguing about japan studio

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
He is a stats man and a pretty good one, all he sees is numbers so he isn't going to push anything beyond what data shows.

It is quite unpredictable but the company will run like a profit making machine so in terms of cash it is a good thing.

Oct 28, 2017
Sony created so many successful new IPs this gen that is a shame they weren't able to accomplish that in Japan, since most of my favorite games come from there.

There's so much talent in Japan that it feels like a wasted opportunity to not go big there.

The problem is that, outside of Nintendo, I cannot honestly think of many recently Japanese developed games that I felt that were fundamentally solid from a core gameplay perspective.

On the top of my head, I can think of some of the Yakuza games, MGSV, DMCV, maybe FFVII Remake. There has to be some soul searching in Japanese game development because that talent isn't materialising in huge results.

Oct 29, 2017
Most likely that the same production infrastructure within Sony that supports Housemarque with Returnal or Sumo with Sackboy or Bluepoint with Demon's Souls. etc. will be liaising with whatever Japanese developers Sony works with, rather than that stuff being sectioned off to a separate Japanese team.

Hmm...Might be a long shot, but I have a personal theory that the SH game could still happen if this is the case. In theory.

Oct 25, 2017
Sony created so many successful new IPs this gen that is a shame they weren't able to accomplish that in Japan, since most of my favorite games come from there.

There's so much talent in Japan that it feels like a wasted opportunity to not go big there.

Certainly possible. We'll see if there are more collaborations in the next few years, but yeah, things aren't looking super promising right now.

That happened when Keiichiro Toyama left.

I get what you're saying and it sucks. I really feel like a lot of those problems we heard about during the PS3 era about Japanese devs struggling to fully transition to the "HD" era still persist. And yes there has to be some mismanagement going all the way back to House. Just look at TLG. All those years and money put into it only for it to flop. I think Ryan felt he had to finally make a decision and decided to focus on what he feels could be a legit contender in ASOBI.

Gaming is global and even those games coming from Japan now appeal to more than just their home market.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone think Sony will [REDACTED] a studio/publisher from Japan?

giphy.gif

:P

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Japan Studio is dead. Asobi Team will be its own thing for some Astro Bot games on PSVR2. And a few remaining external development devs will be concentrated within the global functions of PlayStation Studios.
So it's not dead. Japan Studio is an external developer going forward & ASOBI Team within the studio will make their own games.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It's clear that Sony Music/Aniplex/ForwardWorks will be their main money maker in Japan from now on. All hail FGO.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Kena hype let's goooo

K2wzEEo.gif

I love this <3

Also Yuffie in FFR7 I can't wait.

As someone who never played the original FF7 the entire time I played FF7R I was wondering where she was sad to see she never ended up being in remake part one. I just simply knew she was in the original game, didn't know when she first made an appearance.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
No Jim Ryan believes in Timed Exclusives instead. He has the short terms money and will make the short terms money for it.

It is all about balancing that excel spread sheet then what games will actually be produced to make it so.

I doubt that .
Let be serious here If this was any other studio they would have been shut down by any pubs years ago .
A 200 plus team that could not make a hit in 15 years and had problems .
Other Sony devs get shut down for less.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully we can all remember this going forward:

State of Play: Updates and deep dives
FOG/Sony Showcase: Premiers and Reveals

Oct 25, 2017
I love this <3

Also Yuffie in FFR7 I can't wait.

As someone who never played the original FF7 the entire time I played FF7R I was wondering where she was sad to see she never ended up being in remake part one. I just simply knew she was in the original game, didn't know when she first made an appearance.

Her appearance in this Remake DLC is actually quite a bit earlier in the story than the original game. So it's even more of a bonus to get new story stuff and an early look at her character.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

See I hate this, but I totally get why they are going this route. They probably want to gauge interest and see the initial sales numbers before comitting to a physical release.

I want to play this game and I would be willing to buy it on digital, but if there is a chance of a physical version getting released then I'm going to hold off for the time being.

BTW, thanks for finding the tweet!

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt that .
Let be serious here If this way any other studio they would have been shut down by any pubs years ago .
A 200 plus team that could not make a hit in 15 years and had problems .
Other Sony devs get shut down for less.
I am talking about beyond just Japan Studio.

He is quite a "to the fact" stats type of guy, his interviews are all about numbers, his decisions are in order to solve profit numbers.

He is a good accountant. He sees data and if the data is a surplus he reacts to it rather then what the object that is doing said surplus even is.

He is going to leave a legacy of great numbers, great profits no doubt, he will cut the fat which is needed to make such profits, when you step back and look at his legacy you will see good numbers, great numbers, that is what matters for a business. He likely would be good for any company, not necessarily exclusive to gaming but with his reign SIE will indeed be pleasing for stock holders, for graph analyst, he will no doubt continue to do great with his number forward thinking as long as you have the sales pitch and convince him you will see his support.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
I hope they are quickly moving towards getting rid of the SIE Japan branding and just letting ASOBI be independent from that baggage. Let them fully start fresh as their own studio and EXPAND to be able to fully support Astro with AAA Platformers on PS5, great VR showcase games, and eventually, even some fun spin-offs. The IP has so much potential, and I hope Jim Ryan is willing to salvage this loss, and invest and support Asobi, like they deserve.

At this point, that is the best we can all hope for.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I get what you're saying and it sucks. I really feel like a lot of those problems we heard about during the PS3 era about Japanese devs struggling to fully transition to the "HD" era still persist. And yes there has to be some mismanagement going all the way back to House. Just look at TLG. All those years and money put into it only for it to flop. I think Ryan felt he had to finally make a decision and decided to focus on what he feels could be a legit contender in ASOBI.

Gaming is global and even those games coming from Japan now appeal to more than just their home market.
I mean it isn't even just Sony either. For Nintendo, Alpha Dream just literally couldn't make the transition in a good way apparently and it was a main reason they folded. It's hard to say why, but yea.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they are quickly moving towards getting rid of the SIE Japan branding and just letting ASOBI be independent from that baggage. Let them fully start fresh as their own studio and EXPAND to be able to fully support Astro with AAA Platformers on PS5, great VR showcase games, and eventually, even some fun spin-offs. The IP has so much potential, and I hope Jim Ryan is willing to salvage this loss, and invest and support Asobi, like they deserve.

What if they even rebranded to Team Astro to really be a fresh start and connected only to a really bright future IP?

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
So I guess the external team is still around they just won't be billed as Studio Japan anymore?

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017

Yup change the whole studio to be called Team Asobi and then hopefully, with fingers crossed in this new era, Astro sells well and because of that Team Asobi grows.

From the ashes of Japan Studio and from support from Astro fans we can have Team Asobi become the little Nintendo at SIE.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The wording is confusing. They should just say that they're rebranding Japan Studio as ASOBI Team & move everyone else to XDEV.
Yeah, typical PR talk. All it means is that a small Asobi Team will remain and be its own thing. For some Astro Bot (PSVR2?) games.
SIE Japan will handle the rest (the roles of external production, software localization, and IP management). Japan Studio is dead.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
You're right, I've edited out

tumblr_lh6weimfMc1qc47qq.gif

tenor.gif

:P

Her appearance in this Remake DLC is actually quite a bit earlier in the story than the original game. So it's even more of a bonus to get new story stuff and an early look at her character.

Thanks for explaining! I can imagine. I personally adored Rikku in FFX, she was a great/fun character, upbeat personality, and she was really fun to use as a character as fast/agile characters are always one of my favorites. Yuffie has always struck me as similar to Rikku so I've essentially been excited for her to make an appearance.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, typical PR talk. All it means is that a small Asobi Team will remain and be its own thing. For some Astro Bot (PSVR2?) games.
SIE Japan will handle the rest (the roles of external production, software localization, and IP management). Japan Studio is dead.
Ah. Yeah, looks like this is the case.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I am talking about beyond just Japan Studio.

He is quite a "to the fact" stats type of guy, his interviews are all about numbers, his decisions are in order to solve profit numbers.

He is a good accountant. He sees data and if the data is a surplus he reacts to it rather then what the object that is doing said surplus even is.

He is going to leave a legacy of great numbers, great profits no doubt, he will cut the fat which is needed to make such profits, when you step back and look at his legacy you will see good numbers, great numbers, that is what matters for a business. He likely would be good for any company, not necessarily exclusive to gaming but with his reign SIE will indeed be pleasing for stock holders, for graph analyst, he will no doubt continue to do great with his number forward thinking as long as you have the sales pitch and convince him you will see his support.

This stuff is nothing new to Jim or Sony .
A studio that fail to perform get cut down and that is it .
He not new to this business so i really wonder what aspect you looking at.
Were all those other people that we head of PS that shut down studios number people ?

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
What if they even rebranded to Team Astro to really be a fresh start and connected only to a really bright future IP?
Perfect, whatever helps SIE get across to the average consumer that this is an IP and studio that will be an important part of the brand going forward.

Also, I know some people are highly hostile to PS having a principal mascot, but I think Asobi and Astro could really use that committed marketing push from Sony to help them get a solid foothold. Let the obvious brand mascot, be a brand mascot, and support it like one.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
I'll reserve my judgment on the bit about external production till Sony's next conference. If they are still gonna partner with JP devs then its fine by me. If they have no partnership games announced in June, then I'll panic lol

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Just remember to support the games and studios you believe in. 🙏

Jim Ryan is quick, he won't even know what Studio he is killing, what franchise he ends, he will just know he deleted a negative number on his spread sheet to keep his numbers in the green.

It is up to the consumer. Don't wait for a game to come to PS+ if you believe in it.

Thanks. 👍

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Perfect, whatever helps SIE get across to the average consumer that this is an IP and studio that will be an important part of the brand going forward.

Also, I know some people are highly hostile to PS having a principal mascot, but I think Asobi and Astro could really use that committed marketing push from Sony to help them get a solid foothold. Let the obvious brand mascot, be a brand mascot, and support it like one.
Astro looking like a PS5 honestly helps for the mascot case even more. They could even use the costume idea from playroom to have Astro dressed up as different character for marketing different games.

Status
Not open for further replies.