• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Also what's with all the stupid teasing from Sony employee's? if your studio isn't showing any games then don't tease shit
But they weren't teasing anything, just "hey, I'm looking forward to this". Any game developers not allowed to express their excitement? People overanalyzing random developer posts and over hyping themselves only have themselves to blame.

Jul 25, 2020
Mother of god, I'm gone for an hour or two and we're 12 pages into a new thread? FFS, all that reading...

giphy.gif

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
This is nice:

As you mentioned, the game has rogue-like aspects to it. There are lots of random elements — weapons, upgrades, enemies, map layouts, etc. How do you ensure that every combination of these variables is fun to play?

HK:
With Returnal, we've taken a bit of a hybrid approach to our procedural content. What that means in practice is that all areas — you have treasure rooms, combat spaces, traversal-based connecting areas, narrative spaces — all of these have been meticulously hand-crafted. So you get the maximum quality there with asset placement, lighting, narrative beats, audio design, so there's this consistent quality to those individual areas. However, these are combined and connected very freely across multiple runs.

The content you find in these areas is also procedurally generated. That means, even if you do identify a treasure room for example, or an arena space, it will often be filled with unfamiliar content. Sometimes you will have a certain combination of enemies and varying numbers, you might have just one elite enemy there, other times you might just find a treasure chest waiting for you. These are just some really quick examples of how we're embracing this variation and making sure that each run creates memorable player stories.

www.pushsquare.com

Interview: Returnal PS5 Developer Housemarque Talks Story, Replayability, and Value

Permanent progression, first person segments, and more discussed

I feared the areas would be procedurally generated. This is the way, hand-crafted stuff in a different order with different content (enemies, upgrades, etc).

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
This is nice:

As you mentioned, the game has rogue-like aspects to it. There are lots of random elements — weapons, upgrades, enemies, map layouts, etc. How do you ensure that every combination of these variables is fun to play?

HK:
With Returnal, we've taken a bit of a hybrid approach to our procedural content. What that means in practice is that all areas — you have treasure rooms, combat spaces, traversal-based connecting areas, narrative spaces — all of these have been meticulously hand-crafted. So you get the maximum quality there with asset placement, lighting, narrative beats, audio design, so there's this consistent quality to those individual areas. However, these are combined and connected very freely across multiple runs.

The content you find in these areas is also procedurally generated. That means, even if you do identify a treasure room for example, or an arena space, it will often be filled with unfamiliar content. Sometimes you will have a certain combination of enemies and varying numbers, you might have just one elite enemy there, other times you might just find a treasure chest waiting for you. These are just some really quick examples of how we're embracing this variation and making sure that each run creates memorable player stories.

www.pushsquare.com

Interview: Returnal PS5 Developer Housemarque Talks Story, Replayability, and Value

I feared the areas would be procedurally generated. This is the way, hand-crafted stuff in a different order with different content (enemies, upgrades, etc).
Yea, I really like the sound of this. Everything about the game is so promising.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
This is nice:

HK:

www.pushsquare.com

Sounds like a variant of bloodborne chalice dungeons in a way.... Does that mean everyone that hated bloodborne chalice dungeons will nope out on this?

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Sounds like a variant of bloodborne chalice dungeons in a way.... Does that mean everyone that hated bloodborne chalice dungeons will nope out on this?

There's not much variety in the Chalice Dungeons. I really enjoyed them, but as a extra.

It shouldn't be a problem here since this is a dedicated roguelite, with upgrades and stuff. I assume they made much more content to keep things fresh for longer.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
No, Chalice dungeons were different, Levels weren't crafted like it says in Returnal, they were boring plain huge levels that went against the good thing of BB, Crafted interconnected levels that were fun to explore. Had to get through the levels to get to good boss fights, variation in enemies isn't a problem if it's good. Half the enemies were boring to play against in Chalice, some weirdly placed traps, placements.

SykoTech

Dec 23, 2020
You are confusing ones desires to see more gameplay with someone actuay saying its gonma flop or something due to lack of footage.

You are basically putting words into other's mouths and then making fun of them for saying something they actually arent.

Jesus, now we antagonize gamers that want to see non-outdated gameplay for game they want/can pre order :O how fucking rude of them that they want to know the desired product they aim to buy better since its releasing in 100 days and publisher didnt showed it in their gaming presentation.

These fucking people man.. right?
Me personally I dont care but I dont think you are beinf fair to these user/gamers/whoever that just want to see more which is perfectly normal.

Well, I'm sorry if I struck a nerve in you and made you feel antagonized. It certainly was not my intent to make you snap like this.

Never said anything about people saying the game would not perform well. And never made fun of anyone either, just questioned what the fuss was about. No words were put in anyone's mouth....well, except mine.

I was saying I don't understand the frustration over the game not being shown when it's not out of the ordinary and there's plenty of time to show it later. That's it. Not of that other stuff. DAS was a very bizarre one as I mentioned in my post, but nothing going on with R&C is out of the ordinary with other games, both from Sony and other publishers. And Insomniac even strongly hinted at a deep dive coming soon in the blog post when the release date was announced. Makes more sense to wait for that than demand that it had to be shown a 30-minute presentation with 10 other games being shown. 5-minutes (at best) of additional clips or a short story trailer would have hardly changed much. And being able to preorder a game has no bearing on how much must be revealed at that point. It never has. You're free to think that's a big problem with the industry as a whole, of course. But again, not the intent of my post.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I think it is time to acknowledge that Sony is barely making games, that COVID has ruined game development, that the PS5 will probably be the last Sony console, and that Days Gone is to blame for all of this including COVID.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
No, Chalice dungeons were different, Levels weren't crafted like it says in Returnal, they were boring plain huge levels that went against the good thing of BB, Crafted interconnected levels that were fun to explore. Had to get through the levels to get to good boss fights, variation in enemies isn't a problem if it's good. Half the enemies were boring to play against in Chalice, some weirdly placed traps, placements.
I thought bloodborne was crafted (though not very intricate) and procedurally stitched together and it's always the same because you use a seed to access it. Granted that included static enemy placement and loot. Outside of the loot and enemies the idea seems the same to me, just executed differently.

Idk I enjoyed chalice dungeons as an extra layer to BB.

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017
We're also excited to announce the editions that will be available including the Standard Edition ($39.99 USD / €39.99) and the Digital Deluxe Edition ($49.99 USD / €49.99). All editions of Kena: Bridge of Spirits entitle you to both the Digital PS4 and Digital PS5 versions of the game. The Digital Deluxe Edition includes the Digital Soundtrack, a unique silver staff for Kena and golden Rot skin.

50979916373_6bd7931816_k.jpg

blog.playstation.com

New gameplay and story details revealed in moving Kena: Bridge of Spirits trailer

Standard and digital editions detailed, plus a first look at pre-order bonuses.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017

This is also true. The normal Chalice Dungeons were handcrafted but the root ones were randomized based on the handcrafted ones.

I thought bloodborne was crafted (though not very intricate) and procedurally stitched together and it's always the same because you use a seed to access it. Granted that included static enemy placement and loot. Outside of the loot and enemies the idea seems the same to me, just executed differently.

Idk I enjoyed chalice dungeons as an extra layer to BB.

Answered above, the only handcrafted ones were the non-root chalices.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Kena looks incredible <3 I absolutely can't wait. Will be pre-ordering the deluxe addition 100% as soon as I'm able to.

August 24th is such a massive delay considering many were hoping, myself included, that it'd be a March PS+ game. Game will absolutely be worth the wait though and Emberlabs can take all the time they need on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.