• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Of course this takes time. Yet, it won't happen. "Organic growth", bro. Don't expect anything. Especially not in Japan.

🤦‍♂️

Yeah it different for eg persistent part is something that going to be interesting .
Since that mean adding some sort of MP or content to the game to make it last longer guess GOT is a eg of that .

Also for Returnal i don't know what Sony thinking with that price
You have Sack Boy at $60 on PS5 and Miles is $50 PS5 but then again Destruction All Stars was $70 until it become a plus games.
I just hope Returnal don't get fuck over but looking likely unless a SOP really change things .

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
It's been the same shit for months. Eventually people will just stop visiting here and that'll leave the same handful of people to cry day in and day out about acquisitions and how Sony are doomed if they don't buy Capcom, Square and Japan and bla bla bla bla. Like a lot of the posts aren't even level headed, I get being concerned about industry consolidation, I get being concerned about Japanese output, but just wait and see what happens for fuck's sake.

What's been happening in here is just straight up pathetic.

It's just the same doomposting over and over and over again. It's so tiring. PlayStation has a huge year ahead and the only thing people talk about here is doom if they don't buy a publisher. Geez.

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
With the money Microsoft is investing I'm sure they're also investing into hiring actual talent which will deliver them GOTY-candidate titles. 5-6 years from now I fully expect the general consensus to be that Microsoft has a better overall list of 1st party studios than Sony.

I think Sony, Nintendo and Xbox seem to have their own ideas about what makes a great game and I don't see that changing. What appeals to one person can be a huge turn off to another. There will never be that sort of consensus.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Where will Playstation be in 10 years if they just stand still and do nothing?

Mate I wonder if we'll still be here come 10 years considering the state of things, fuck me...

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
They should start it soon. It will take some years. They are investing so much money into other divisions. They shouldn't take their ps success for granted.

Even if they were so start we won't find out unless they tell us or it a public company.
No one had any Idea they bought IG or other companies until we find out or even who making certain games for them .
So buy companies and wait for the right time to say something .

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
And I also think that people are too attached to the ''Organic growth'' quote.
For EA single player games were dead until it weren't, for Sony releasing games on PC was impossible until it wasn't, for Phil exclusivity was bad until it wasn't and I could go on, those people words are less valuable than our opinions.

In the last 5 years SIE has acquired a grand total of... one new developer. While shutting down 3 other studios. It's not their words it's their actions. They're clearly not interested in dealing with the operating costs of a large 1st party studio lineup. And unless the Bethesda acquisition spooked them that's not going to change.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Well it's an AAA game. So expect an AAA price.

So was destruction all stars but that turn into plus game.
I also doubt Returnal will be longer that Miles or sack boy even if it going to have more replay factor .

In the last 5 years SIE has acquired a grand total of... one new developer. While shutting down 3 other studios. It's not their words it's their actions. They're clearly not interested in dealing with the operating costs of a large 1st party studio lineup. And unless the Bethesda acquisition spooked them that's not going to change.

Sony has made there first party huge in term of the amount of people they have this gen .
Almost 2 to 3 time the amount of people so it simple not only about the operating costs .
Like IG was 3 to 4 of the smaller studio MS buy in term of people who work there.
The Bethesda acquisition is really what send MS over PS if we talking operating costs .

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So was destruction all stars but that turn into plus game.
I also doubt Returnal will be longer that Miles or sack boy even if it going to have more replay factor .
A game being "longer" has nothing to do with it being an AAA game or not.
Regarding DAS, I still don't know what its budget could be. Could be an AA game. Again, an AAA game like Return isn't something you put on PS+ for free. Its genre is the issue. Hard to market AAA roguelike games exclusively on consoles.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Yes, the actions of the last 6~7 years, this is exactly what I am saying, the fact that their words fits what happened in the past does not dictate what they are doing/will do in the future.
Sony, or any company, won't position themselves as competitors in a fight that they are ''losing'', until is good for them, in this case when they announce acquisition(s).

Sony won't even talk about their current strengths why the hell people expect them to spill the beans regarding this subject lol

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
A game being "longer" has nothing to do with it being an AAA game or not.
Regarding DAS, I still don't know what its budget could be. Could be an AA game. Again, an AAA game like Return isn't something you put on PS+ for free. Its genre is the issue. Hard to market AAA roguelike games exclusively on consoles.

Length is bad eg i should have used content , gfx and even marketing etc etc all together .
Cause you can sure bet Returnal won't be getting AAA marketing :(

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This thread is so depressing. No good vibrations 😡
The problem is less having business discussion than an informed one. When it's carried by a naive 1:1 confrontation that has disappeared for years, pure fantasies about how games are produced or just ignorance about how brand and companies are functioning in general or specifically, it's boring to repeat the same thing over and over.

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
Worked great for those "Deathloop" and "GhostWire: Tokyo" timed-exclusive deals from Bethesda.

If SIE wanted Q*bert, they would get it. It's a Sony IP in the end. But why the f+ck should they care about Q*bert? 😂 Dead IP.
Same goes for Lemmings. I'm a huge Lemmings fan, but this game/genre is done. And it basically a game that belongs on handhelds/mobile phones these days. Not home consoles.
Microsoft aint buying Square Enix

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
Because at the end of the day timed exclusivity deals aren't very helpful when your competition can just eat the company in question whole like they did with Bethesda. And that's to say nothing of other spoiler companies like Amazon, Google or Apple.

That's not to say Sony should (or could) buy Square, but the point is that there is definitely a looming threat of key partnerships EVAPORATING as other companies pull aggressive business moves. Sony can't just assume every third party will be there for them forever.
Timed exclusive for a couple of months isn't helpful. Timed exclusive for a couple years is very helpful

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
They're investing a lot of money into studios like Bend and London studio to make bigger games though.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
He was saying that just yesterday at the digital CES event lmao.

Well, he also mentioned selective acquisitions ... 👀

Take 2 incoming.

But seriously, there is no point for Sony to acquire the big japanese publishers. Capcom, Sega, SE are not getting acquired by microsoft, like ever.

The best "bigger" investment Sony could do right now is trying to get WB Games without the IPs attached to them. That would be 5 AAA studios, that could either work on original IPs or on licenced Disney IPs for Sony.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The best "bigger" investment Sony could do right now is trying to get WB Games without the IPs attached to them. That would be 5 AAA studios, that could either work on original IPs or on licenced Disney IPs for Sony.
Look what AT&T wanted for Crunchyroll. No way WB Games will be cheap. Waste of big money imho.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Look what AT&T wanted for Crunchyroll. No way WB Games will be cheap. Waste of big money imho.

In a way you are right. Like I said, if they could make a deal without all the IP rights attached to the studios like Mortal Kombat, they might get a decent price tag for them. Or if Sony commits to making WB licensed games for a certain period of time and paying royalties, that could work too.

Big studios with pedigree are not going to get cheaper in the future.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They wanted 4 billion without any IP LMAO .
If you spending that sort of money you should at least get some IP from it .
In a way you are right. Like I said, if they could make a deal without all the IP rights attached to the studios like Mortal Kombat, they might get a decent price tag for them. Or if Sony commits to making WB licensed games for a certain period of time and paying royalties, that could work too.
Big studios with pedigree are not going to get cheaper in the future.
Oh, was it 4 billion? lmao. No thanks. SIE could use 4 billion to buy Kadokawa (with From Software), Bluepoint, Housemarque, Arrowhead and Remedy. And still have millions left 😅

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Known IP's are what's most important these days when making a purchase. Sony purchasing WB without any known IP's is a massive waste when compared to the ridiculously strong multi million seller IP's that are under Capcoms umbrella. Capcom getting purchased would be a massive move for either Sony or MS. Getting those IP's exclusive to a service or platform makes your brand much more attractive for both short and long term.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
NGL, owning consoles from both MS, And Sony (not current gen), lets me enjoy these threads a WHOOoOOOLE lot more.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Known IP's are what's most important these days when making a purchase. Sony purchasing WB without any known IP's is a massive waste when compared to the ridiculously strong multi million seller IP's that are under Capcoms umbrella. Capcom getting purchased would be a massive move for either Sony or MS. Getting those IP's exclusive to a service or platform makes your brand much more attractive for both short and long term.

You could argue that. But if Rocksteady is under Sony's umbrella and gets a hold on a Marvel or Star Wars licence, that game is going to sell more than the next DMC, Resident Evil and Street Fighter combined.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They could but they won't do that either. :D
Yep 😅 Just saying it would be better / make more sense.
You could argue that. But if Rocksteady is under Sony's umbrella and gets a hold on a Marvel or Star Wars licence, that game is going to sell more than the next DMC, Resident Evil and Street Fighter combined.
Maybe. But Sony would own these IPs and won't have to share the profits.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
Sony likes their current profit margins

They dont want to spend much in risky acquisitions

There, solved the mystery for you. Sorry, but that's where the book stops 🤷‍♂️

Can we move on?

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony likes their current profit margins

They dont want to spend much in risky acquisitions

There, solved the mystery for you. Sorry, but that's where the book stops 🤷‍♂️

Can we move on?
Dude, they bought Crunchyroll for 1.2 billion and were interested in 21st Century Fox, before Disney acquired them 😅

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

For Sony the big IP there would be MH since that would help in Japan and Asia if that the only place to play it .
Truth is if Sony was to buy a pub it should be a Japanese one .

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For Sony the big IP there would be MH since that would help in Japan and Asia if that the only place to play it .
Truth is if Sony was to buy a pub it should be a Japanese one .
Yep. And them having a huge fighting IP (Street Fighter) Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, etc. would be huge.
But of course, it ain't happening.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Sony isn't doing anything while PS5 sells like hot cake, and we can't really blame them, to be honest. That's a position they worked hard to be in. But it is not impossible that when some real competition catchs up as it was in the PS3 vs x360 gen, there may not be a lot of qualified labor to run after.

Sony is that person who bought just a packet of toilet paper (studio) at the beginning of the pandemic (rush to buy studios and publishers in the IP war). While Microsoft, Tecent and THQ are those who are stocking up so they don't have to go out and buy later.

Oct 30, 2017
NGL, owning consoles from both MS, And Sony (not current gen), lets me enjoy these threads a WHOOoOOOLE lot more.
Same. + I don't worry about Sony. I'm not that emotionally attached.

For the next couple of years Sony will have a fantastic and competitive platform and most games will be released on PS5.

And if Microsoft has a better, more diverse lineup and a bigger output in 5-6 years than good for them and people should switch to Xbox the next time they buy a console.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
Dude, they bought Crunchyroll for 1.2 billion and were interested in 21st Century Fox, before Disney acquired them 😅
Sorry, SIE, likes their current profit margins

Better?

I'd rather spend my stupid person energy on pointlessly doom posting about Returnal's future sales, than holding out for an acquisition that will never come XD

Idk, it's been a rough year, I just can't find the energy to complain about stuff like this anymore.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Yep 😅 Just saying it would be better / make more sense.

Maybe. But Sony would own these IPs and won't have to share the profits.

True but honestly I'm not a big fan of acquiring multiplat ips and turning them into exclusives. If it's a dormant IP, sure, but not with ongoing franchises.

If we really talking about making the best strategic acuqistions, they probably should buy individual studios, like you suggested.

Grab FromSoftware, Bungie, Bluepoint and Larian to fill the gaps in their portfolio while also winning over the hardcore fans of these studios.

Though, I would keep Destiny multiplat and just make the new IPs exclusive.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, SIE, likes their current profit margins

Better?

I'd rather spend my stupid person energy on pointlessly doom posting about Returnal's future sales, than holding out for an acquisition that will never come XD

Idk, it's been a rough year, I just can't find the energy to complain about stuff like this anymore.
Don't "complain". Discuss! 😜
But yeah, it ain't happening.
True but honestly I'm not a big fan of acquiring multiplat ips and turning them into exclusives. If it's a dormant IP, sure, but not with ongoing franchises.
Same here. But this is where the industry is going. This is a buyers market now. And it will get worse in the future.
But yeah, they should go after the studios you and me already mentioned. (Bungie/Destiny? Nah. Too expensive.)

Status
Not open for further replies.