• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flattie

Nov 5, 2017
To be fair, it's only their prestige AAA games that sell like that. Sackboy, Returnal, and Destruction All Stars don't have a chance in hell of reaching that milestone. No one denies their strength but I just wish they had a little more variety like they used to. They can't leave it ALL to third parties to fill that gap.

I mean you've cited a reasonable amount of diversity in your own post - and that's just launch window stuff.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
It took Skyrim around 10 years to sell 30+ million copies across every platform known to man.. God of War sold 20 million on 1 platform in its sleep...

Wrong, Skyrim sold over 30 million copies in 2016, that's 5 years after the release on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC.

In 2016 they released the Special Edition, in 2017 the NSW version and Skyrim VR.

It is most likely at 35-40 million sold copies by now, by far the best selling RPG of all time.

----------------------------------------------------------------

PS5 is going to do fine, but yes Starfield and TES6 exclusive to Xbox (on consoles) are going to be system seller for the "Console Bethesda fans" and MS will move some units thanks to these games, but at the end of the day, they are never going to match PS5 units WW for a lot of reason. Doing better than Xbox One is a given, i mean, unless they do worse than Xbox One in both software and hardware, it's easy to achieve, but PS5 will lead by units without a lot of issues.

El Manco

Oct 28, 2017
TES6 skipping PS5 should motivate Capcom to start development of Dragons Dogma 2 as soon as possible.
For Bioware/EA, probably no changes in near future plans. But next ME and DA will be massive in PS5.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Possibly! I was only aware of January.

Possibly! If the leaks mentioned a Digital Event for Resident Evil Village, then I was not aware.

Edit: Ah, well there ya go.
As I said, it doesn't necessarily mean that there is no state of play, because capcom have a history of doing a digital event following a state of play, but in general they have transitioned to individual streams lately with the SFV stream and then the monster hunter rise stream this year.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, it's only their prestige AAA games that sell like that. Sackboy, Returnal, and Destruction All Stars don't have a chance in hell of reaching that milestone. No one denies their strength but I just wish they had a little more variety like they used to(oh and when they actually do have variety, they don't send them out to die by not marketing them). They can't leave it ALL to third parties to fill that gap.

They have variety but at the end of the days some games just sell more than others .
You not going to spending millions of dollars on marketing something that only going to sell a certain amount .
Marketing helps but if you spend to much it end up making the ROI not worth it.

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo
rO9Lpt8.png

My new avatar, thanks Sony 😫😔

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Wonder what happened to it.
Been years since we had new information about the game.
I'm pretty sure the numerous delays to granblue fantasy relink just meant that this game is barely getting worked on as dev are working on finishing that game... in 2 years.
Basically, I don't expect it before Elder Scrolls VI lol

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Project Awakening tho

Speaking of which, for anyone that doubts it's still in development, Cygames posted its Cyllista Game Engine presentation from CEDEC 2020 on October 8, 2020, the end of which reads: "At Cygames, we are currently recruiting staff to work with us on developing the Cyllista Game Engine, as well as to create Project Awakening, the first game built on the Cyllista Game Engine. For details, click here."

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Wrong, Skyrim sold over 30 million copies in 2016, that's 5 years after the release on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC.

In 2016 they released the Special Edition, in 2017 the NSW version and Skyrim VR.

It is most likely at 35-40 million sold copies by now, by far the best selling RPG of all time.
WRONG!!! The game absolutely did not sell 30 million copies in one year are you kidding me!?😂 That number was given in an 2016 interview for total sales up until that point.

Skyrim came out in 2011, it's 2021.. I said it took 10 years to sell 30+ million copies of the game. And for somebody screaming wrong you still don't have a definitive number either.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
WRONG!!! The game absolutely did not sell 30 million copies in one year are you kidding me!?😂 That number was given in an 2016 interview for total sales up until that point.

Skyrim came out in 2011, it's 2021.. I said it took 10 years to sell 30+ million copies of the game. And for somebody screaming wrong you still don't have a definitive number either.

oops i missed as of 2016

I thought you said Skyrim only sold 30 million copies in 10 years

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Dragon's Dogma 2 is in development according to the data leaks iirc. 2022 maybe?

2023*

And for somebody screaming wrong you still don't have a definitive number either.

To have a definitive number you have to ask Bethesda, three RPGs have exceeded 30 million copies so far, but we don't know by how much, still, we have a linkedin profile claiming that Skyrim is the best selling RPG of all time.

Diablo III did 30+ million (last sales update was in 2015)
Skyrim did 30 million (last sales update was in 2016)
TW3 did 29 million (last sales update was in 2019)

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Project Awakening is just a cool tech demo, i have 0 faith in CyGames making a game that looks like that when they are still trying to release an anime JRPG after several delays.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Honestly I don't mind THAT much Sony not doing a FPS, this is a genre that you need to do something different or go all in IMO, RPG is a genre that outside of the PC sphere is in such a "nhe" place for me, I hope one of the studios try to do one.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Even if TES6 is exclusive and that's a big if right now, not much will change. It's a system seller for sure, it's a huge IP, but it's also mostly a PC centric franchise.

Oct 25, 2017
Even if TES6 is exclusive and that's a big if right now, not much will change. It's a system seller for sure, it's a huge IP, but it's also mostly a PC centric franchise.
TES6 seems like a distant thought at this point in a sense that who knows if we even get that game during this generation. I'm more interested to see Starfield right now cause at least that game should not be too far away from release.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
They have variety but at the end of the days some games just sell more than others .
You not going to spending millions of dollars on marketing something that only going to sell a certain amount .
Marketing helps but if you spend to much it end up making the ROI not worth it.
Unless you're doing Superbowl ads or similar, I don't think any marketing is too much. Look at Xenoblade Chronicles 2, once it came out and people found its gameplay loop is centered around collecting weapons who double as girls calling you their master(creepy ass shit) for the combat, it still kept selling to a modest 2 million. Gravity Rush and Concrete Genie, maybe even The Last Guardian have infinitely more presentable premises(a girl who controls gravity and fights monsters) but as far as I know neither was even able to hit 1 milion+. XC2 didn't keep selling to 2 million just because it's a sequel to XC. How's Sony going to know more marketing won't help games like those if they don't try?

Last edited:

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't know what people want Sony to do a few months after MS bought Bethesda. Like, that isn't enough time for them to react and start going on an acquiring spree. Bethesda didnt happen over night, and future acquisitions they want to do don't happen overnight, and any plans Sony might have don't happen overnight.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
I hope they're planning to do something thu. Their catalogue is seriously missing FPS and RPGs and now their competitor has double the studios with some massive IPs, and I think it's obvious they can't just rely on studios like CD Projekt or Bioware for that. I think more people will start to see that once Starfield comes out.
Okay, and Xbox is missing third person action games. When is the last time they had a TLOU or Uncharted level game in their history? Never.

Appreciate what Sony has. Exclusives mean nothing if they suck

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i think the only deals the eu gets when it comes to ps+ subscription pricing is the black friday deal when it's 25% off.

so it's best to always wait until around that time to resub.
3 years ago, around Christmas, they sold a 1 year sub here in Germany for ~33€. I bought a couple of them and now I have a sub until 2024.
Good move, because since then we never got a similar deal again.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
One big factor with Elder Scrolls 6 is if it'll be cross gen or not. Cross gen, and leaving out PS4 owners as well as PS5 is hard to believe until MS confirms it.

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Nah there will be loss of markatshare this gen. Xbox has a lot more studios now and Series X does not have bad PR Xbone had. Games like Starfield and TESVI will make an impact and that's only a fraction of what Xbox will get exclusive this gen.

In addition Sony is already losing marketshare in Japan and Asia to Switch. Switch also has a very strong position in US (Switch will easily sell more than PS4 in NA) and EU. Unless Nintendo messes up big time Switch 2 will be absolutely enourmous in 2-3 years.

That won't age well.

The PS5 is gonna sell another 100M+. If you thought the PS4 was a monster, you better strap yourself in.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
One big factor with Elder Scrolls 6 is if it'll be cross gen or not. Cross gen, and leaving out PS4 owners as well as PS5 is hard to believe until MS confirms it.
I think the best you can do to keep your expectations in check, is to assume all future Bethesda games will be full Xbox exclusives. If they also get released on PS5, great, but that shouldn't be your expectation because you're most likely gonna get burned.

Status
Not open for further replies.