• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

madgorillaz

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone else think that Sony may have a bit of a problem in the lack of a Bethesda style open world for their console? As in, no other game company really makes the type of open worlds that Bethesda does, and they have obviously have a huge mass appeal. All the other acquisitions MS made could be filled-in by developers Sony owns or partners with, I think, except for Bethesda.

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017
Damn, is there still no info on SSD expansion compatibility? Its the only thing keeping me from getting the PS5 yet lol.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone else think that Sony may have a bit of a problem in the lack of a Bethesda style open world for their console? As in, no other game company really makes the type of open worlds that Bethesda does, and they have obviously have a huge mass appeal. All the other acquisitions MS made could be filled-in by developers Sony owns or partners with, I think, except for Bethesda.
Yes, it's a huge problem.

Not just Bethesda style either, MS now has a monopoly on the entire WRPG genre. The only WRPG devs working on Playstation now are the trash heap that is CDPR, and the hollow husk of whatever Bioware is these days. And as you said, none of these replicate the Bethesda style either, only Obsidian really did that (and they're owned by MS too).

It's a huge problem, but I honestly don't think Sony will do anything until they actually start losing significant market share to MS later this gen.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
This gen there were only 2 open world Bethesda games (Fallout 4 and 76), both pretty mediocre, and PS4 did it just fine lol

It's going to be the same for PS5

madgorillaz

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, it's a huge problem.

Not just Bethesda style either, MS now has a monopoly on the entire WRPG genre. The only WRPG devs working on Playstation now are the trash heap that is CDPR, and the hollow husk of whatever Bioware is these days. And as you said, none of these replicate the Bethesda style either, only Obsidian really did that (and they're owned by MS too).

It's a huge problem, but I honestly don't think Sony will do anything until they actually start losing significant market share to MS later this gen.

What you're implying and what I also agree with, is that there's not really a developer available to partner with or acquire that has the experience to fill in that gap. Presumably they'd have to form a new team, or pivot an available team into that direction (Killzone -> Horizon style).

madgorillaz

Oct 28, 2017
This gen there were only 2 open world Bethesda games (Fallout 4 and 76), both pretty mediocre, and PS4 did it just fine lol

It's going to be the same for PS5

Right, I don't think it going to necessarily swing the pendulum entirely, so to speak. But Fallout 4 sold insanely well. Bethesda's games strike me as system sellers. I think its reasonable to suspect some noticeable loss of marketshare.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
I don't think BGS is the big loss in the Bethesda acquisition. I think losing a resurgent Doom franchise, the unique design of Arkane and Tango, along with the giant open world RPGs for BGS are what will hurt PS5.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think it's a problem in itself but when a new Elder Scrolls launches and isn't on PS5 it's going to be the first time in a long time that Sony are missing a truly massive game on their platform.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
What you're implying and what I also agree with, is that there's not really a developer available to partner with or acquire that has the experience to fill in that gap. Presumably they'd have to form a new team, or pivot an available team into that direction (Killzone -> Horizon style).
Yeah, and even if they started putting a team together right now, it would probably be a full decade before they'd be able to put out a game of that scale.

It's really, really sucks.

I don't think Sony believes they need to do anything to address it (I think they feel that they're fine with what they have and don't want to expand much, which is another mistake, imo). But even if they wanted to do something, they don't really have many/any options. Either build a new studio from scratch that won't have anything release until the 2030s, or buy Larian to scale them up and hope for the best.

If your an RPG fan though, you basically have to get an Xbox or high end PC now though. It sucks, but it'll be a few years still until those games come out, so I've got time to save for a PC upgrade.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
The only two games by BGS that has potential of hurting Sony in a big way are Starfield and TES and we don't know shit about either(hell, we don't know shit about like 70% of XGS projects lol).
It's early, and I mean VERY early to draw any conclusions.

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017
On one hand, losing Bathesda for simultaneously mutliplatform releases is a pretty notable dent.

On the other, their biggest RPGS are long ways off and we'll likely not see their performance until the very latter half of the current gen before we can conclude how much their absense truly affects the PS5.

The only two games by BGS that has potential of hurting Sony in a big way are Starfield and TES and we don't know shit about either(hell, we don't know shit about like 70% of XGS projects lol).
+1

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I played TEW 1,2, Dishonered 2, doom 2016,eternal, prey and both wolfenstein on ps4. While not tes big, this will have a big impact long term. I agree that it wont matter at the moment but sony should care to not loose more.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
There wont be any, since TES6 is still far far away and by then PS5 will consolidate its position on the market
Nah there will be loss of markatshare this gen. Xbox has a lot more studios now and Series X does not have bad PR Xbone had. Games like Starfield and TESVI will make an impact and that's only a fraction of what Xbox will get exclusive this gen.

In addition Sony is already losing marketshare in Japan and Asia to Switch. Switch also has a very strong position in US (Switch will easily sell more than PS4 in NA) and EU. Unless Nintendo messes up big time Switch 2 will be absolutely enourmous in 2-3 years.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I played TEW 1,2, Dishonered 2, doom 2016,eternal, prey and both wolfenstein on ps4. While not tes big, this will have a big impact long term. I agree that it wont matter at the moment but sony should care to not loose more.
I agree with you, and I am not dismissing those games, but people are talking about losing market share this generation, I just think is too early to talk about it with certainty.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Right, I don't think it going to necessarily swing the pendulum entirely, so to speak. But Fallout 4 sold insanely well. Bethesda's games strike me as system sellers. I think its reasonable to suspect some noticeable loss of marketshare.
I agree. And as Viceratops mentioned, that Bethesda deal included a lot of other top tier devs as well. I think it's gonna hurt Sony noticeably, even if they still end up "winning" in total sales in the end, imo.

There wont be any, since TES6 is still far far away and by then PS5 will consolidate its position on the market
Idk, it's not just ES6 though. MS owns twice as many first party studios as Sony does now (what is it, 25 vs 13 now?). And most of those studios used to work with Playstation as well, so they're losing output while the competition gains it.

I think the disparity in number of releases will start to show in a couple years. It won't just be ES6 (although that will be massive), but MS consistently getting more exclusive output that I see eating into Sony's market share.

I'm kinda expecting this gen to play out almost like the reverse of the PS3/360 years. Sony will start stronger, while MS starts gaining midway through and the gen ends in roughly a draw.

As a consumer though, I'm just pissed that I have to spend so much extra money on PC upgrades just to play RPGs lol.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
Nah there will be loss of markatshare this gen. Xbox has a lot more studios now and Series X does not have bad PR Xbone had. Games like Starfield and TESVI will make an impact and that's only a fraction of what Xbox will get exclusive this gen.

In addition Sony is already losing marketshare in Japan and Asia to Switch. Switch also has a very strong position in US (Switch will easily sell more than PS4 in NA) and EU. Unless Nintndo mess up big time Switch 2 will be absolutly enourmous in 2-3 years.
You are probably right, but i don't think it's impossible to imagine a scenario in which the Xbox sells even worse than the Xbox One (or just on par if there will be an player growth this gen) because Microsoft is much more focused on Gamepass and people that might have been interested in it, that would normally buy an Xbox are just using XCloud or PC instead.
While people that are actually interested in a homeconsole will flock over to the PS5 in even bigger numbers, at least in the US. Asia is pretty much lost for them at this point.

Oct 1, 2019
I don't think Sony believes they need to do anything to address it (I think they feel that they're fine with what they have and don't want to expand much, which is another mistake, imo)
Looking at Sony's latest investments, I think there is some truth to this. But hoooooo, boy. If this is their actual mindset right now, they're in for a world of hurt.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
I'm kinda expecting this gen to play out almost like the reverse of the PS3/360 years. Sony will start stronger, while MS starts gaining midway through and the gen ends in roughly a draw.
I mean, the 360 had a 1 year head start and the PS3 was incredibly expensive so that's not exactly an apt comparison here.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if we are being real, the only two that will show a market share difference from the acquisition are Doom 6 and TES6. Both won't be for a few years.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Look, MS bought Zenimax, okay. We all get that and their competition gets it. Companies arent blind to their competition, even Nintendo is constantly monitoring what is happening in the scenes where they have no involvement in. A lack of action yet doesnt indicate that Sony just "doesnt care", or that they believe there will be no impact on them. They have better data than any of you to determine the impacts of the moves of their competition, and they are not blind to the fact that MS owns 20+ studios while they own 14. Sony arent ones to respond to any competition move instantly, and generally it paid them off well to not go into panic mode over everything the competition does, look at early last year when MS "was controlling the conversation" regarding next gen, but at the end Sony dominated the year in terms of exciting and selling their console. I'd argue that they "oversucceeded" to the point that the stock to demand difference is far more extreme than many previous console releases despite having the largest stock for a console at launch ever.

My point is, Sony are aware of the competition, they constantly think what is the best move for them to maximize their own success metrics, this doesnt mean that they will suddenly buy a publisher mind you, but they will know what is the right move for them.

The bigger problem here is that MS has convinced everyone that competition = acquisitions and huge acquisitions at that. Its not and it better not be because industry consolidation is something everyone will regret at the end.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
your timing:

tenor.gif

Anyway this just seems like the regular post launch promotions round. Its not really indicative of when development on a new game has started

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado

In addition Sony is already losing marketshare in Japan and Asia to Switch. Switch also has a very strong position in US (Switch will easily sell more than PS4 in NA) and EU. Unless Nintendo messes up big time Switch 2 will be absolutely enourmous in 2-3 years.
I'm curious to see if all the acquisitions they've made coming to Gamepass day one will be enough to even the odds. I got a PS5 and series X and gamepass is one hell of a deal so far, just being able to hop into any game I have any sort of interest in is awesome. Highly recommended if you're a hardcore gamer.

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
You are probably right, but i don't think it's impossible to imagine a scenario in which the Xbox sells even worse than the Xbox One (or just on par if there will be an player growth this gen) because Microsoft is much more focused on Gamepass and people that might have been interested in it, that would normally buy an Xbox are just using XCloud or PC instead.
While people that are actually interested in a homeconsole will flock over to the PS5 in even bigger numbers, at least in the US. Asia is pretty much lost for them at this point.
I don't think it would be a shock if XSX sells the same (or worse) than Xbox One. I personally think it will do better cause Microsoft should have some exclusives this gen that people care about but Microsoft doesn't care about console sales. They've basically conceded to Nintendo/Sony in that department already since theres multiple countries where they can't make any headway. They put all their exclusives on PC. They want to make the most money possible while growing Game Pass

Last edited:

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Look, MS bought Zenimax, okay. We all get that and their competition gets it. Companies arent blind to their competition, even Nintendo is constantly monitoring what is happening in the scenes where they have no involvement in. A lack of action yet doesnt indicate that Sony just "doesnt care", or that they believe there will be no impact on them. They have better data than any of you to determine the impacts of the moves of their competition, and they are not blind to the fact that MS owns 20+ studios while they own 14. Sony arent ones to respond to any competition move instantly, and generally it paid them off well to not go into panic mode over everything the competition does, look at early last year when MS "was controlling the conversation" regarding next gen, but at the end Sony dominated the year in terms of exciting and selling their console. I'd argue that they "oversucceeded" to the point that the stock to demand difference is far more extreme than many previous console releases despite having the largest stock for a console at launch ever.

My point is, Sony are aware of the competition, they constantly think what is the best move for them to maximize their own success metrics, this doesnt mean that they will suddenly buy a publisher mind you, but they will know what is the right move for them.

The bigger problem here is that MS has convinced everyone that competition = acquisitions and huge acquisitions at that. Its not and it better not be because industry consolidation is something everyone will regret at the end.

This is a good post.

Sony is not going to panic and start buying anything they can get their hands on. They have a plan how to M&A safely, that plan might even changed a bit after the ZeniMax acquisition, but it doesn't mean they will immediately react to that.
They will crunch the numbers, look at what Microsoft does, look at other actors on the market and than move forward with whatever they think is the best move to stay succesful.

It could mean that they simply grow their existing studios and increase the external partnerships, to not interfere the balance they have on their platform between 1st party and 3rd party content.
It could also mean that they acquire several individual studios, or even a medium-sized publisher but especially the latter would not happen quickly and rashly.

Right now it doesn't really make sense talking about Sony getting outpaced with first party content, when they are the ones that managed to have an incredible 2020 and 2021 lineup compared to their competitors.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I really wonder if people in thread forget how much of a monster Sony first party has become .
Spidey had sold 20 million and it coming out in 2022 will be huge .
You have a 10 million sellers like HFW coming out this year and GOW that sold 20 million also this year ( see this getting delay .)
Yes ES is a lost but Sony them self have some huge IP that coming early that will move systems GT is another eg this year .
It going to be hard for MS even with the companies they buy.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Sony believes they need to do anything to address it (I think they feel that they're fine with what they have and don't want to expand much, which is another mistake, imo). But even if they wanted to do something, they don't really have many/any options. Either build a new studio from scratch that won't have anything release until the 2030s, or buy Larian to scale them up and hope for the best.

If your an RPG fan though, you basically have to get an Xbox or high end PC now though. It sucks, but it'll be a few years still until those games come out, so I've got time to save for a PC upgrade.
I hope they're planning to do something thu. Their catalogue is seriously missing FPS and RPGs and now their competitor has double the studios with some massive IPs, and I think it's obvious they can't just rely on studios like CD Projekt or Bioware for that. I think more people will start to see that once Starfield comes out.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I hope they're planning to do something thu. Their catalogue is seriously missing FPS and RPGs and now their competitor has double the studios with some massive IPs, and I think it's obvious they can't just rely on studios like CD Projekt or Bioware for that. I think more people will start to see that once Starfield comes out.
It took Skyrim around 10 years to sell 30+ million copies across every platform known to man.. God of War sold 20 million on 1 platform in its sleep...
I really wonder if people in thread forget how much of a monster Sony first party has become .
You have a 10 million sellers like HFW coming out this year and GOW that sold 20 million also this year ( see this getting delay .)
Yes ES is a lost but Sony them self have some huge IP that coming early that will move systems GT is another eg this year .
This right here. PlayStation is a beast and people keep forgetting that.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
I'm really eager to see what the second team at GG is working on.

We know that GG is all-in with the Horizon IP and growing the franchise as much as possible. We practically know that a Horizon VR game is in the works.

I think it's quite likely that the second team is working on a multiplayer-only game in the Horizon universe with PVP and PVE modes.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, it's only their prestige AAA games that sell like that. Sackboy, Returnal, and Destruction All Stars don't have a chance in hell of reaching that milestone. No one denies their strength but I just wish they had a little more variety like they used to(oh and when they actually do have variety, they don't send them out to die by not marketing them). They can't leave it ALL to third parties to fill that gap.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really eager to see what the second team at GG is working on.

We know that GG is all-in with the Horizon IP and growing the franchise as much as possible. We practically know that a Horizon VR game is in the works.

I think it's quite likely that the second team is working on a multiplayer-only game in the Horizon universe with PVP and PVE modes.
I hope they are working on a Horizon MP game. Would love that. We have so many FPS games from 3rd parties.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If memory serves, according to the leak preorders were set to go live this week on January 14th.

Possibly! I was only aware of January.

Didnt those leaks state there will be a REVIII digital event this month like the one Monster Hunter Rise just got though?
Although I guess it is possible we will see something similar to may 2019 when we had a State of Play with an iceborne trailer and then Capcom held their own stream to showcase the expansion an hour later.

Possibly! If the leaks mentioned a Digital Event for Resident Evil Village, then I was not aware.

Edit: Ah, well there ya go.

Status
Not open for further replies.