• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
ping me when any other dev other than SIE and Rockstar invests 100mi on a 30h+, single player only game with cutting edge tech and not a single piece of mtx. i guess you can add Square but they do a lot of DLC

You are adding arbitrary points that makes no sense. RDR 2 is filled with MTX and don't start with "It's the only Online mode" when Rockstar is putting an insane budget on these titles because they know they are going to make money from MTX.

You are just doing some nonosense selection to prove your point, yes Ubisoft games have MTX but this won't change the fact that they still put 100m budget on SP games, having MTX to buy skins or boosters changes nothing or are you going to discard TLOU and Uncharted 4 as well because their MP mode have MTX?

To answer your question Cyberpunk 2077 is another 100m SP only game with no MTX, you can add Shadow of The Tomb Raider as well, BOTW.

You using "100m" to esclude several games is also laughable because if we are going to talk about "SP and a lot of hours of gameplay" the list is long but nope, they have to cost 100m or they are not eligible as if Sony spends 100m on ALL their titles, like why are restricting to 100m budget games on the first place? Lol

Last edited:

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They don't have to get 2 full teams just bigger to make games faster and add to the smaller team working on something else which they already do .
Saying Sony not growing there studios make no sense since that is what they have been doing since PS4 gen started .
Most teams are 2 to 3 times there size from the start of the gen and still growing .
For eg Bend should be much bigger that what they are now.
Studios are growing, because games are getting bigger. Like Jim Ryan and Shawn Layden said. "Less, but bigger games".
All studios have smaller pre-production teams for the "next project".
You won't get more games this gen, you will get less if it stays this way. At least Guerrilla almost doubled in size and we got the new San Diego AAA team at VASG. Media Molecule is lost forever in the Dreams "project".

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
You are adding arbitrary points that makes no sense. RDR 2 is filled with MTX and don't start with "It's the only Online mode" when Rockstar is putting an insane budget on these titles because they know they are going to make money from MTX.

You are just doing some nonosense selection to prove your point, yes Ubisoft games have MTX but this won't change the fact that they still put 100m budget on SP games, having MTX to buy skins or boosters changes nothing or are you going to discard TLOU and Uncharted 4 as well because their MP mode have MTX?

To answer your question Cyberpunk 2077 is another 100m SP only game with no MTX, you can add Shadow of The Tomb Raider as well, BOTW.

You using "100m" to esclude several games is also laughable because if we are going to talk about "SP and a lot of hours of gameplay" the list is long but nope, they have to cost 100m or they are not eligible as if Sony spends 100m on ALL their titles lol
Which is a stupid metric because a lot of that is about marketing.
The 30+ hours is also a stupid metric because most PlayStation first party had pacing issues this gen.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Studios are growing, because games are getting bigger. Like Jim Ryan and Shawn Layden said. "Less, but bigger games".
All studios have smaller pre-production teams for the "next project".
You won't get more games this gen, you will get less if it stays this way. At least Guerrilla almost doubled in size and we got the new San Diego AAA team at VASG. Media Molecule is lost forever in the Dreams "project".

You get more games faster if the team is bigger .
It's why you having bigger games but still in the same amount of time.
Because of the teams growing .
TLOU2 is ND biggest game but still took 3 years because of how big size is now.
GG wanted twice the amount of people to bring out games faster .
If Bend double in size again it won't take them 5 years to make one game .

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Which is a stupid metric because a lot of that is about marketing.
The 30+ hours is also a stupid metric because most PlayStation first party had pacing issues this gen.

Also this.

Some nonsense selective points.

- SP only
- cutting edge tech
- 30 hours gameplay
- no MTX
- 100 million USD budget.

The vast majority of Sony's titles don't even meet this criteria to begin with and that's not an issue at all.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You get more games faster if the team is bigger .
It's why you having bigger games but still in the same amount of time.
Because of the teams growing .
TLOU2 is ND biggest game but still took 3 years because of how big size is now.
TLOU2 wasn't only 3 years in development. And you don't simply throw devs at an AAA project and it magically transforms into a 2 or 3 years dev cycle game. This isn't happening. This is not how it works.
What are Miles Morales, Sackboy and Demon's Souls then?
Not small AA games.

Jan 20, 2019
It is to late to buy small studios and grow them in order to make other types of games(RPG, FPS, etc).

If Sony wants to start making other style of games they need to buy a publisher but i understand why they probably won't do it, to much add cost for a already large publisher.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But they aren't "bigger and longer games" which was the post I reacted.
I guess what Shawn and Jim Ryan meant is less AA games and more AAA games. Especially from their big studios.
You will still get PixelOpus games and a few remakes/remasters here and there.
Look how many AA 1st party games Sony made during the PS4 gen.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
TLOU2 wasn't only 3 years in development. And you don't simply throw devs at an AAA project and it magically transforms into a 2 or 3 years dev cycle game. This isn't happening. This is not how it works.

Not small AA games.

Well i guess you should tell Hermen Hulst it don't work that way since that is what he was doing with GG.
No one is saying toss a extra 100 devs right way but you add them over time just like GG doing if you want get games out faster .
TLOU2 was in full dev for about 3 years .
After TLOU1 2013 UC4 came out in 2016 3 years after and that was UU LL in 2017 and then TLOU2 is 2020.
So 3 years of full devs time since most of the studio was working on other stuff while a small group was doing TLOU2..

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well i guess you should tell Hermen Hulst it don't work that way since that is what he was doing with GG.
No one is saying toss a extra 100 devs right way but you add them over time just like GG doing if you want get games out faster .
TLOU2 was in full dev for about 3 years .
After TLOU1 2013 UC4 came out in 2016 3 years after and that was UU LL in 2017 and then TLOU2 is 2020.
So 3 years of full devs time since most of the studio was working on other stuff while a small group was doing TLOU2.
TLOU2 was still in development for almost 5 years. Look when Uncharted 4 released. TLOU2 was already in development when Lost Legacy was in development. Hermen Hulst almost doubled GG in size, to get a bigger "small team" for their next project. So they don't need to develop an AAA game for almost 8 years, like they did for Horizon Zero Dawn.
That's about it. Other studios already said they don't want that. They don't want 400 employees. Sucker Punch, Bend Studio, etc. won't be like Guerrilla Games. You want more 1st party games, you need more studios. You want different genres, you need more/new studios. Simple as that.
AAA games will still take ~4 years of development. At least.

Last edited:

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
That doesn't work that way. If the studio get bigger it means that they will take less time to develop games. Buying a studio may seem like child's play, but then you see how long it took Rare to adapt with Microsoft. If a studio does not know well the culture of the company it can take a long time to adapt.
It's very difficult to take less time to develop something by adding more people (the mythical man month), unless the team wasn't sized properly to begin with.

The size and nature of any project will generally dictate the ideal team size for each department. A team too small for the project obviously means the game gets delayed. A team too big creates a bunch of bottlenecks... some of the work cannot be rushed, or cannot be split, or is interdependent and on an iterative cycle. You quickly end up with entire departments waiting for something to continue their job. Trying to parallelize work that cannot be parallelized is also a major cause of Development Hell(tm).

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
TLOU2 was still in development for almost 5 years. Look when Uncharted 4 released. TLOU2 was already in development when Lost Legacy was in development. Hermen Hulst almost doubled GG in size, to get a bigger "small team" for their next project. So they don't need to develop an AAA game for almost 8 years, like they did for Horizon Zero Dawn.
That's about it. Other studios already said they don't want that. They don't want 400 employees. Sucker Punch, Bend Studio, etc. won't be like Guerrilla Games. You want more 1st party games, you need more studios. Simple as that.
AAA games will still take ~4 years of development. At least.

The person that wanted Bend small no longer there so that should not be problem .
He double the size is to still get out games faster which was the whole point to bring out games in 2 to 3 years was said in a interview.
HZD was 6 and half if we counting pre stuff .
I know pixelopus and SP said they don't want to get bigger but i don't see any of the other Sony studios saying that since they hiring like crazy .
Like GG , ND , SSM , IG even PD grow by a fair amount this gen .

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I guess what Shawn and Jim Ryan meant is less AA games and more AAA games. Especially from their big studios.
You will still get PixelOpus games and a few remakes/remasters here and there.
Look how many AA 1st party games Sony made during the PS4 gen.
So why HFW and GoW sequel will arrived that quickly?
How many SONY games are AA for you?

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I mean from the looks of it so far those could be straight up sequels. They are not reinventing the wheel and technically the generational leap is not as big as say TLOU1 on PS3 vs TLOU2 on PS4. They probably have an easier time making the games since they aren't working on New IPs which is why Ghost and Days Gone took so long.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The person that wanted Bend small no longer there so that should not be problem .
He double the size is to still get out games faster which was the whole point to bring out games in 2 to 3 years was said in a interview.
HZD was 6 and half if we counting pre stuff .
I know pixelopus and SP said they don't want to get bigger but i don't see any of the other Sony studios saying that since they hiring like crazy .
Like GG , ND , SSM , even IG even PD grow by a fair amount this gen .
The "Bend being small" thing was when they still wanted to be a 40 - 60 dev studio. Bend wants to remain a 1 project studio with ~130 devs. Same goes for Sucker Punch etc. Even Naughty Dog doesn't want tww full teams.
You will NOT get 2 full teams for 99% of Sony's Worldwide Studios. And according to Sony, you will get less but bigger games. It's what Sony themselves said.
Again: You want more 1st party games, you need more studios. You want different genres, you need more/new studios. Simple as that.
I wouldn't say 3 1/2 to 4 years is "quickly" when it's a direct sequel and not a new IP. The foundation for games like GOW:R and HFW is already there. Let's see when both games will actually release. You want a new AAA game (sequel), expect a ~4 year dev cycle.
Games like Concrete Genie, Fat Princess Adventures, Guns Up!, Helldivers, Matterfall, Resogun, Entwined, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Hustle Kings, Super Stardust Ultra, Bound, Kill Strain, Destiny of Spirits, Tearaway Unfolded, The Tomorrow Children, Alienation, Shadow of the Beast, Escape Plan, Sound Shapes, Hohokum, CounterSpy, Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition, The Unfinished Swan, Wipeout Omega Collection, Hidden Agenda, Erica, etc. etc.
There were a lot last gen.

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018

Killzone.com

The official website for the KILLZONE franchise has retired.

With recent PS games not getting a dedicated site/url but instead being featured on the PS site, plus the last KZ being SF which is close to 7 years ago, I guess it makes sense.

It would've been a bigger loss if the KZ timeline was still there. KZ SF clans got to rely on the game for now since the link they gave for the PS site leads to an error page as it likely isn't up yet or will ever be.

KZ SF and KZ Mercenary's online servers are still up for those that are curious.
Man. Killzone.com used to be the shit.

Really feeling the lack of Sonys diversity these days. Missing the times of first party FPS games.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
The "Bend being small" thing was when they still wanted to be a 40 - 60 dev studio. Bend wants to remain a 1 project studio with ~130 devs. Same goes for Sucker Punch etc. Even Naughty Dog doesn't want tw full teams.
You will NOT get 2 full teams for 99% of Sony's Worldwide Studios. And according to Sony, you will get less but bigger games.
Again: You want more 1st party games, you need more studios. You want different genres, you need more/new studios. Simple as that.

I really don't know why you keep on talking about 2 teams when i talking about growing the studio .
ND grew by over 150 this gen and still growing .
SSM growing until the new IP got kill and they can grow again for Cory new IP .
Also i don't really know why you saying according to Sony when i search i don't see Jim saying what Shawn did ( he don't even work at Sony any more )
Also you don't need different studios for different genres GG and SSM is enough to show that.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Really feeling the lack of Sonys diversity these days. Missing the times of first party FPS games.
Imagine how RPG/JRPG fans feel.
I really don't know why you keep on talking about 2 teams when i talking about growing the studio .
ND grew by over 150 this gen and still growing.
Naughty Dog has way over 150 since the PS3 era.
SSM growing until the new IP got kill and they can grow again for Cory new IP.
People still act like "Cory's new IP" is actually happening and he will get his own new team.
Right now it's SSM being a God of War-only studio and that's it. Maybe when they're done with the GOW franchise.
Also i don't really know why you saying according to Sony when i search i don't see Jim saying what Shawn did ( he don't even work at Sony any more )
Also you don't need different studios for different genres GG and SSM is enough to show that.
Guerrilla Games went to a different genre, because their FPS games weren't successful enough. They had to hire a ton of RPG etc. experienced folks. This was an exception. SSM has been doing God of War games since 1873.

Last edited:

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
In which case Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart is AAA.

ACiT was also AAA.

I wonder which one is going to be longer though and how much content RF will have relative to ACiT or even R&C 2/3?

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Games like Concrete Genie, Fat Princess Adventures, Guns Up!, Helldivers, Matterfall, Resogun, Entwined, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Hustle Kings, Super Stardust Ultra, Bound, Kill Strain, Destiny of Spirits, Tearaway Unfolded, The Tomorrow Children, Alienation, Shadow of the Beast, Escape Plan, Sound Shapes, Hohokum, CounterSpy, Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition, The Unfinished Swan, Wipeout Omega Collection, Hidden Agenda, Erica, etc. etc.
There were a lot last gen.

You forgot Lost Legacy.

xdIQGaB.gif

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Naughty Dog has way over 150 since the PS3 era.

Now there over 300 people so they grew .
Don't really see how that vs my point .

People still act like "Cory's new IP" is actually happening and he will get his own new team.
Right now it's SSM being a God of War studios and that's it.

If Stig can get his own team why won't Cory when he help made GOW into 20 million selling IP or work on a new IP ?

Guerrilla Games went to a different genre, because their FPS games weren't successful. They had to hire a ton of RPG etc. experienced folks. This was an exception. SSM has been doing God of War games since 1873.

GOW 2018 is still a different genre from past GOW games .
Also Sony was going finish with GOW so if not for Cory SSM would be something else.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018

Not small AA games.
I agree with your point mostly, but assuming you are bundling pre-production, engine development, and full production together. You can have an bigger team on full production for 2-3 years as other AAA games have shown.

Imagine how RPG/JRPG fans feel.
They made six Killzone games, it is not like GG and Sony gave up on the franchise early.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now there over 300 people so they grew.
Don't really see how that vs my point.
Yes. They grew because games got bigger and development cycles got longer.
Did you get more games from them compared to the PS3 generation?
If Stig can get his own team why won't Cory when he help made GOW in 20 million selling IP or work a new IP?
Look how great that worked out for Stig and the new IP they were working on.
SSM is a GOW studio right now. Nothing else.
GOW 2018 is still a different genre from past GOW games.
God of War is still a God of War game. God of War 2018 is still an action-adventure game like the old God of War games.
Just more cinematic and they added some RPG-lite features. It's still a God of War game. It's still the same genre. And it was in development for a long time, after the studio got rebooted.
They made six Killzone games, it is not like GG and Sony gave up on the franchise early.
Yep and FPS fans got multiple Resistance games and FPS games on PSVR.
RPG/JRPG fans tho....

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I mean from the looks of it so far those could be straight up sequels. They are not reinventing the wheel and technically the generational leap is not as big as say TLOU1 on PS3 vs TLOU2 on PS4. They probably have an easier time making the games since they aren't working on New IPs which is why Ghost and Days Gone took so long.
Of course that the reasons.
But, again, that doesn't fit the narrative of "bigger and longer".

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Don't mean it going to work out the same way again.
If want to go down that road Sony was done with GOW until Cory look how that work out .
Guess time will tell if we get a new IP from them.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Yes. They grew because games got bigger and development cycles got longer.
Did you get more games from them compared to the PS3 generation?

God of War is still a God of War game. God of War 2018 is still an action-adventure game like the old God of War games.
Just more cinematic and they added some RPG-lite features. It's still a God of War game. It's still the same genre. And it was in development for a long time, after the studio got rebooted.

Yep and FPS fans got multiple Resistance games and FPS games on PSVR.
RPG/JRPG fans tho....
If Shadowfall and Resistance 3 had more successful multiplayer communities, they would have a better chance of sequels.

Western and action rpgs I can understand, there have been a bunch of first party misses. Never paid attention to JRPGs so I am unfamiliar with Sony's previous output for the genre.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't mean it going to work out the same way again.
If want to go down that road Sony was done with GOW until Cory look how that work out.
Yeah and I'm glad it worked out. Love GOW and Kratos. But for now, all they are is a GOW right now. Nothing else.
Let's see what happens after GOW:R
My point still stands, that I think Sony needs ~3 more 1st party studios. Will it happen? Doubt it. Or it would have happened already.
Looks like they think they have enough. And I think that's a mistake. But hey, let them do what they wanna do. See what happens, when the competition is more and stronger than ever. And even have way more 1st party studios
If Shadowfall and Resistance 3 had more successful multiplayer communities, they would have a better chance of sequels.
Yeah. Too bad for Resistance 3. It was a great game. But because Resistance 2 wasn't really liked by fans.... R3 underperformed :/
Killzone simply didn't set the world on fire after KZ2. KZ3 and SF were just okay....
If they want another FPS game, it needs to be a new IP imho.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Gran Turismo 7 seems to have drifted from a first-half release window to just '2021', which might set alarm bells ringing"

If a GT game would come out right on time, it would be a bigger alarm bell, something would be wrong with the universe, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria...

I still remember GT5 and the endless delays and stories. It was hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.