• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
you won't see MS or any other dev besides SIE and Rockstar spending 100mi for single player only games anymore. let alone more than two per year.

This is absolutely false

There are plenty of studios spending $100 million and more on several titles, even MS.

Ubisoft routinely spends this same amount on all their major titles, the Far Cry games, the Watch Dogs titles, Assassin's Creed games.

The recent Tomb Raider game had a $100-135 million budget as well

Cyberpunk 2077 was another $100 million budget.

Starfield is also going to have this budget as well and i can go on and on and on.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Nah giving bend more people is better than buying some 50 person studio.
We won't have to wait 5 years for a game and they can move on a second IP faster .
Get a new studio also don't mean more genre coverage .

50 people at Bend (just as a general example, not harping on them specifically) aren't going to pull out a Mass Effect-level game. You need entirely new groups of people with different development mindsets to develop things like that. Full teams.

Puffing up the studios that already make cinematic third person shooters with a couple more bodies isn't going to fix any of Sony's first-party weaknesses. We need RPG teams, fighting game teams, horror teams - teams willing and eager to explore genres Sony doesn't already have represented in spades.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Hades is the first roguelite I've actually enjoyed, so I hope Returnal will follow suit.

Also I'd love a PS5 port of Hades. Jimbo pls

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
50 people at Bend (just as a general example, not harping on them specifically) aren't going to pull out a Mass Effect-level game. You need entirely new groups of people with different development mindsets to develop things like that. Full teams.

Puffing up the studios that already make cinematic third person shooters with a couple more bodies isn't going to fix any of Sony's first-party weaknesses. We need RPG teams, fighting game teams, horror teams - teams willing and eager to explore genres Sony doesn't already have represented in spades.

Some people just thinking its about throwing resources into the studio to get some results.

You need to consider focus, talent, location, budgets, salaries, etc. The core team being 150 people won't deliver AAA games just like that. There's also a lot of off-shore work in place for big AAA titles. That's also why they've invested in their Malaysia Studio.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Some people just thinking its about throwing resources into the studio to get some results.

You need to consider focus, talent, location, budgets, salaries, etc. The core team being 150 people won't deliver AAA games just like that. There's also a lot of off-shore work in place for big AAA titles. That's also why they've invested in their Malaysia Studio.

Some people really overlook and understimate the outsourcing work lol

"Ghost of Tsushima was only made by a team of 140 devs at Sucker Punch", when in reality it's not, it had hundreads of other devs working across the globe working on assets, textures, characters, concept arts, building, cutscenes and such. There's no game made entirely by the dev alone, this was a thing in the 90s when you could make a game in less than one year with 20 devs or less but now? In one year you are lucky if you are out of incubation and brainstorming for some titles.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
This is absolutely false

There are plenty of studios spending $100 million and more on several titles, even MS.

Ubisoft routinely spends this same amount on all their major titles, the Far Cry games, the Watch Dogs titles, Assassin's Creed games.

The recent Tomb Raider game had a $100-135 million budget as well

Cyberpunk 2077 was another $100 million budget.

Starfield is also going to have this budget as well and i can go on and on and on

They don't bring out 2 to 3 per year and this year after year also .
The closest is Ubi but most other companies don't

Well some not asking for Mass Effect-level game just what they doing but faster .

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Pretty much. Just adding bodies to a studio isn't going to automatically turn them into a two-project team or rampantly speed up their output. Insomniac spent years building themselves and developing their entire corporate culture around the multi-team concept. Naughty Dog tried it too, and they decided it wasn't the right fit for their studio's direction.

At the end of the day, every dev studio has its own developer identity - its own core philosophies and design preferences and staffing mentalities - and just haphazardly throwing 50 more people into the mix isn't necessarily a recipe for success.

This is why Sony needs more full teams that have their own preferred genres and gameplay styles and game design precepts, so the people being hired can be allocated or directed to teams they can use their specific skills on.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
They don't bring out 2 to 3 per year .
The closest is Ubi but most other companies don't

Ubisoft releases 4-5 AAA games every fiscal year, they are by far the most efficient publisher on top of smaller games.

Valhalla + Legion + Fenyx + Far Cry 6 in one Fiscal Year during COVID + smaller stuff like that sport game, Just Dance and PoP Remake.

Most companies don't because they don't have the manpower, and AAA games take 4-6 years to make, Warner Bros had an empty 2020 but this year they are launching 4 AAA games. 2K Games had to open 4 new studios in the recent years because they lacked content and so on.

plow

Oct 28, 2017

I'm not sure Sony wants that. Sony wants to deliver games that are Only on Playstation. You "only" get games like TLOU, GOW and Uncharted with Playstation. Highly cinematic games with a different build ( Some are shooters, some don't ).
Sony fills a void with their games, that otherwise wouldn't exist on their console. Do we really need another fighting game with Tekken, Street Fighter, MK, Fighters etc. out there? Wouldn't the Sony game be one of many? Aren't there already tons of Horror Games out there ike the RE games and things like Dying light?

Same goes for RPGs. While Sony is far away from what Xbox can deliver with all the Bethesda games, Sony still has plenty of RPGs ( Witcher, CP, AC, Final Fantasy, KH, Bioware games ). So again. Sonys RPG would be one of many.

Mind you, i would LOVE an RPG by any Sony team, but i'm not sure there is any priority in that.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much. Just adding bodies to a studio isn't going to automatically turn them into a two-project team or rampantly speed up their output. Insomniac spent years building themselves and developing their entire corporate culture around the multi-team concept. Naughty Dog tried it too, and they decided it wasn't the right fit for their studio's direction.

At the end of the day, every dev studio has its own developer identity - its own core philosophies and design preferences and staffing mentalities - and just haphazardly throwing 50 more people into the mix isn't necessarily a recipe for success.

This is why Sony needs more full teams that have their own preferred genres and gameplay styles and game design precepts, so the people being hired can be allocated or directed to teams they can use their specific skills on.

ND also ramp up people so they could still bring out games in 3 years time.
You can add bodies it just take time and we saw all of Sony big studios grow this gen .

Ubisoft releases 4-5 AAA games every fiscal year, they are by far the most efficient publisher on top of smaller games.

Valhalla + Legion + Fenyx + Far Cry 6 in one Fiscal Year during COVID + smaller stuff like that sport game, Just Dance and PoP Remake.

Most companies don't because they don't have the manpower, and AAA games take 4-6 years to make, Warner Bros had an empty 2020 but this year they are launching 4 AAA games.

Yeah Ubi does but how many other companies bring out 2 to 3 SP games per year every year with huge budgets .
There not plenty you can maybe also add SE to that but other wise that is it .

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Yeah Ubi does but how many other companies bring out 2 to 3 SP games per year every year with huge budgets .
There not plenty you can maybe also add SE to that but other wise that is it .

Ubisoft is the biggest publisher by sheer number of employees 19.000+ and 40+ studios, while your average AAA publisher like EA or Activision has around 9000-10000 employees.

Warner Bros and Bethesda have only 2300-2500 employees each, that's why they don't releases 3-4 AAA games every year and they need 3-4 years from one project to another.
2K Games same thing, Rockstar Games uses all their devs for one project at a time etc....

This is what AAA game development had become, unless you have an army of developers or contractors you ain't going to have a steady release of AAA titles every fiscal year.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished a replay of Uncharted 4, the first time since launch. Jesus this game is amazing. There are some slow parts and it's a little too long, but the design and graphics are still incredible. The graphics are still phenomenal and few compare. Gonna play the lost legacy after my RE3 play through.

I definitely recommend playing U4 again if you need a fun romp in these trying times.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft is the biggest publisher by sheer number of employees 19.000+ and 40+ studios, while your average AAA publisher like EA or Activision has around 9000-10000 employees.

Warner Bros and Bethesda have only 2300-2500 employees each, that's why they don't releases 3-4 AAA games every year and they need 3-4 years from one project to another.
2K Games same thing, Rockstar Games uses all their devs for one project at a time etc....

This is what AAA game development had become, unless you have an army of developers or contractors you ain't going to have a steady release of AAA titles every fiscal year.

I know all of this but i think you miss his point about SP games.
He not talking only about AAA but AAA SP games per year .
Truth is most companies don't bring out many AAA games per year anyway .

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I know all of this but i think you miss his point about SP games.
He not talking only about AAA but AAA SP games per year .
Truth is most companies don't bring out many AAA games per year anyway .

I didn't miss his point, Ubisoft is releaasing AAA SP games per year, last time i checked, Legion, Valhalla, Fenyx and Far Cry 6 are SP games and they are AAA.

He was arguing that only Sony and Rockstar are actually spending $100m on SP games when in reality they are not, as if a big budget is needed to make a successful game lol

you won't see MS or any other dev besides SIE and Rockstar spending 100mi for single player only games anymore. let alone more than two per year.

I replied to this, and it's false.

Last edited:

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
I didn't miss his point, Ubisoft is releaasing AAA SP games per year, last time i checked, Legion, Valhalla, Fenyx and Far Cry 6 are SP games and they are AAA.

He was arguing that only Sony and Rockstar are actually spending $100m on SP games when in reality they are not, as if a big budget is needed to make a successful game lol

I replied to this, and it's false.

geez mate you must be fun at parties.

Ubi games are filled with MTX, yeah they are single player but they feature heavy monetization. and i never said big budget is needed to make a successful game, don't know where you took that from, since i'm more than happy with SIE having a portfolio from Indies to artsy games to AAA.

ping me when any other dev other than SIE and Rockstar invests 100mi on a 30h+, single player only game with cutting edge tech and not a single piece of mtx. i guess you can add Square but they do a lot of DLC.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
geez mate you must be fun at parties.

Ubi games are filled with MTX, yeah they are single player but they feature heavy monetization. and i never said big budget is needed to make a successful game, don't know where you took that from, since i'm more than happy with SIE having a portfolio from Indies to artsy games to AAA.

ping me when any other dev other than SIE and Rockstar invests 100mi on a 30h+, single player only game with cutting edge tech and not a single piece of mtx. i guess you can add Square but they do a lot of DLC.
Having mtx does not make it any less of a high budget single player game.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Returnal looks like Vanquish on steroids, plus an interesting story.
Waiting on reviews to see if the roguelike thing and the difficulty are too much of an impediment to fit my tastes.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

😂

It's not like we didn't already know that a lot of Sony studios already said they don't want two full teams, etc.
It's not like I and many others didn't post it here multiple times. Yet you still see post here like "I think it's better to let the studios grow instead of buying more studios". This ain't happening. Most of them won't get two full teams. You want more 1st party games and/or different genres, you need more studios. More studios means acquisitions.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019

That would be the ideal world but Sony's 1P focus are cinematic games. Sure, you have Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon, Days Gone, Uncharted and God of War, etc which all play differently, but they are all character action adventure games, which I personally love. The talent required for these types of games overlap a lot, and with the exception of location/salaries and potentially future opportunities, they are still pretty much following similar templates of cinematic experiences. Their core teams just aren't industry standard with the exception of Insomniac, in terms of size and scope. Naughty Dog routinely suffer due to this and causes their infamous crunch periods due to this. I remember Polyphony were also very reluctant of having their games be outsourced for certain activities too.

Maybe it'll change with this new generation, as they push their teams to release games more routinely with heavy use of off-shore activities. However the core identity of their studios from the outside anyway are more rooted to the IPs they work on.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
KILLZONE.COM HAS RETIRED
Dear Killzone.com visitor,

The official website for the KILLZONE franchise has retired. Going forward, visitors to Killzone.com will be directed to PlayStation.com.

While this change doesn't affect the online multiplayer modes, player statistics or ranking data for KILLZONE MERCENARY and KILLZONE SHADOW FALL, it is now no longer possible to create or manage clans in KILLZONE SHADOW FALL. We apologize for this inconvenience.

Thank you to Killzone.com's many fans and visitors throughout the years for their enthusiasm and support.

Sincerely,

Guerrilla

Killzone.com

The official website for the KILLZONE franchise has retired.

With recent PS games not getting a dedicated site/url but instead being featured on the PS site, plus the last KZ being SF which is close to 7 years ago, I guess it makes sense.

It would've been a bigger loss if the KZ timeline was still there. KZ SF clans got to rely on the game for now since the link they gave for the PS site leads to an error page as it likely isn't up yet or will ever be.

KZ SF and KZ Mercenary's online servers are still up for those that are curious.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Just finished a replay of Uncharted 4, the first time since launch. Jesus this game is amazing. There are some slow parts and it's a little too long, but the design and graphics are still incredible. The graphics are still phenomenal and few compare. Gonna play the lost legacy after my RE3 play through.

I definitely recommend playing U4 again if you need a fun romp in these trying times.
Did they patch it for 60fps?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That would be the ideal world but Sony's 1P focus are cinematic games. Sure, you have Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon, Days Gone, Uncharted and God of War, etc which all play differently, but they are all character action adventure games, which I personally love. The talent required for these types of games overlap a lot, and with the exception of location/salaries and potentially future opportunities, they are still pretty much following similar templates of cinematic experiences. Their core teams just aren't industry standard with the exception of Insomniac, in terms of size and scope. Naughty Dog routinely suffer due to this and causes their infamous crunch periods due to this. I remember Polyphony were also very reluctant of having their games be outsourced for certain activities too.

Maybe it'll change with this new generation, as they push their teams to release games more routinely with heavy use of off-shore activities. However the core identity of their studios from the outside anyway are more rooted to the IPs they work on.

Pretty much, and this is why I'm saying Sony just needs more studios. Not more warm bodies in the studios they already have. If they want to branch out and shore up their glaring weaknesses in particular genres, they need full teams capable of supporting them the same way their current first party studios support their third person cinematic shooters.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Killzone.com

The official website for the KILLZONE franchise has retired.
deadjimwwje1.jpg

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Pretty much, and this is why I'm saying Sony just needs more studios. Not more warm bodies in the studios they already have. If they want to branch out and shore up their glaring weaknesses in particular genres, they need full teams capable of supporting them the same way their current first party studios support their third person cinematic shooters.

If Level 5 weren't a complete shit show, they would've been a great investment but it's clear that Sony only wants to focus on what makes them money and fits their identity of cinematic games. It's just surprising given their investments in anime, one would think having a strong Japanese development studio to appeal to their cross-category market would be a good plan.

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
😂

It's not like we didn't already know that a lot of Sony studios already said they don't want two full teams, etc.
It's not like I and many others didn't post it here multiple times. Yet you still see post here like "I think it's better to let the studios grow instead of buying more studios". This ain't happening. Most of them won't get two full teams. You want more 1st party games and/or different genres, you need more studios. More studios means acquisitions.
That doesn't work that way. If the studio get bigger it means that they will take less time to develop games. Buying a studio may seem like child's play, but then you see how long it took Rare to adapt with Microsoft. If a studio does not know well the culture of the company it can take a long time to adapt.

Also I don't know where you get that Sony studios are not creating two teams. Guerrilla for example, has created two teams since Horizon. It seems that Santa Monica is also going that way (God of War 2, New IP).

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Does that mean that whatever the RB6 director was working on could be a new IP?
It could but not because of this.

R&C, Horizon, etc... all don't have independent sites but instead just pages on the PS site.

I guess Sony just wants to have everything on one single site.

Should've never killed off PS Forums then. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does that mean that whatever the RB6 director was working on could be a new IP?
If it really is a new team for a multiplayer game, then yes. Best solution imho. Like I said many times: If they want to make a multiplayer, let it be a new IP (or a Socom reboot :P )

Last edited:

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If it really is a new team for a multiplayer game, then yes. Best solution imho. Like I said many times ago. If they want to make a multiplayer, let it be a new IP (or a Socom reboot :P )
You had me on the first half.

If Socom can get rebooted then KZ could too, that is just a matter of opinion. :P

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
If Level 5 weren't a complete shit show, they would've been a great investment but it's clear that Sony only wants to focus on what makes them money and fits their identity of cinematic games. It's just surprising given their investments in anime, one would think having a strong Japanese development studio to appeal to their cross-category market would be a good plan.
Level 5 could be a great investment since they said they would like to do more stuff than games.
And Sony is investing in Anime.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't work that way. If the studio get bigger it means that they will take less time to develop games.
New console generation, bigger games (like Sony already said) etc. means longer dev cycles. Thanks to the SSD and PS5/Sony's great tools, it maybe won't take longer and be "just as long" as for PS4 games last gen. But you won't get a AAA game from Sony every 2 or 3 years. This simple isn't happening.
Buying a studio may seem like child's play, but then you see how long it took Rare to adapt with Microsoft. If a studio does not know well the culture of the company it can take a long time to adapt.
It isn't child's play. That's why Sony has people inside the company who's job it is to look for acquisitions, etc.
And I'm pretty sure Sony does know the culture inside studios like Bluepoint, Housemarque, From Software, Arrowhead, etc.
They worked with them many, many times.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Currently playing Ghost of Tsushima, the combat is so much better than I expect, the game keeps getting better and better, I am surprised.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
😂

They don't have to get 2 full teams just bigger to make games faster and add to the smaller team working on something else which they already do .
Saying Sony not growing there studios make no sense since that is what they have been doing since PS4 gen started .
Most teams are 2 to 3 times there size from the start of the gen and still growing .
For eg Bend should be much bigger that what they are now.

Status
Not open for further replies.