• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, I thought it would be something they would add/fix within the first month. I hope that major PS5 updates won't take 6 months like PS4 ones did.
During a pandemic, while handling the biggest console launch ever? You clearly thought wrong. Even basic patches for games are taking more time now. Look at Spider-Man: Miles Morales. Or even Cyberbug 2077.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I guess i've been lucky because i haven't had any problems with my PS5. So i'm not thinking about updates at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Going for CEO next. Then the world.

I don't know about that but he's a karaoke king for sure
tumblr_orhrpd0g6d1uum5yho1_1280.png

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Acquire wants to make a new Tenchu for the PS5

www.gematsu.com

Acquire president discusses potential new stealth ninja game, new indies brand [Update]

The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu includes a new interview with Acquire president Takuma Endo, who teases a potential revival of the Tenchu series and the launch of a new indies brand by the end o…

That would be cool. Always down for game revivals. Would be nice if the remade or remastered the originals and bundle them if they do end up developing a new game.

The only thing weird about this news is that this is a Japanese developer talking about making a Japanese game for PS5.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
My Prediction for SIE/PlayStation for the Q1 quarter.

• SoP for both Destruction AllStars and Returnal before their releases.
  • A digital event for upcoming games
  • A major PS5 firmware patch that will add in a ton of technical features people wish for and are long overdue. (Storage, 1440p, etc...)
  • BluePoint being Acquired Announcement via tweet or press briefing or official article post.
That is pretty much it for me.

Buzzkiller_20

Oct 27, 2017
Having PS+ and PS Now makes it really hard to choose a game to play. I've been staring at the PS4 main menu screen for, like, a hour trying to decide what to play. How do y'all choose?

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
  • A major PS5 firmware patch that will add in a ton of technical features people wish for and are long overdue. (Storage, 1440p, etc...)
  • BluePoint being Acquired Announcement via tweet or press briefing or official article post.
You won't get a firmware-update with "a ton of new technical features" without a long beta-test before. So exepect small firmware-updates with one or two new things in it. That's basically it. Can't expect more these days. Christmas and NYE was a few days ago and we're in the middle of a pandemic. People are working at home.

Acquisitions? "Organic Growth" bro. SIE devs will get new keyboards for their home-offices. That's bascially it.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
You won't get a firmware-update with "a ton of new technical features" without a long beta-test before. So exepect small firmware-updates with one or two new things in it. That's basically it. Can't expect more these days. Christmas and NYE was a few days ago and we're in the middle of a pandemic. People are working at home.
Well I don't mean features like a Quick Resume.

I just meant support for internal drives, VRR, 1440p etc...
Acquisitions? "Organic Growth" bro. SIE devs will get new keyboards for their home-offices. That's basically it.
Custom DualSense to celebrate the launch.
stan.gif

MistBreeze

Mar 31, 2020
Having PS+ and PS Now makes it really hard to choose a game to play. I've been staring at the PS4 main menu screen for, like, a hour trying to decide what to play. How do y'all choose?
yes lol,, exactly the same situation ... it was not that hard on ps4 launch

guys having full BC for ps4 games and backlog I can play on ps5 and actually great launch lineup making it hard to choose

I decided to do the secret episode of kh3 final boss

and now starting nioh 2 taking brake from ac valhalla after 52 hours .... it is such a long game

and I did not even play sack boy yet

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
I think certain Provinces in Canada give tax advantages to Video game studios. I wouldn't be against Sony looking into growing their European studios though. Housemarque seems like a logical choice given the history between the studio and SIE. Also the European game development scene is rapidly growing.
Europe clearly needs more AAA studios. A lot of europeans devs are working in the US/Canada for obvious reasons.

Sony has Guerrilla, which is rapidly becoming one of their biggest and most important studios.

In the UK they have Sony London and Media Molecule, which are both quite small.

Housemarque is a great AA studio, no idea if they can grow to become a great AAA studio.

Shakerovic

Apr 26, 2019
Abysmal? Are you only using the Japanese charts as evidence here? I don't necessarily disagree with your point about value, but I don't think these are good examples to use and I think the evidence is still out on whether that price will ding sales or not, considering we haven't seen a truly big game come out at $70 yet. (EDIT: The PS5 edition of Call of Duty Cold War is $70 and it outsold Miles Morales in the EU to be the best-selling digital game on the system)

Matt Piscatella was quoted in Venturebeat about Miles Morales' launch sales:

"Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales was the third best-selling game of November, while ranking second on PlayStation platforms," said Piscatella. "Launch month sales of Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales are the second highest amongst superhero games on PlayStation platforms in U.S. history, trailing only the September 2018 sales of Marvel's Spider-Man."

Selling better than Arkham Knight's ps4 debut is pretty good, I think.

Demon's Souls fared worse, at number 10 for the month, but considering it was ps5 only and a fairly niche game going against the usual sales juggernauts, that's not bad at all. Those are all US numbers, true, but MM and Demon's seemed to perform just fine in the UK as well, from what I saw.

Miles Morales was priced at $49.99.

damn so it sold really good, didn't expect it to be better than Batman games too

Shakerovic

Apr 26, 2019
Anyone think Sony will bid for MGM? would love a big budget blockbuster 007 or Stargate game if Sony acquire them

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Between Capcom/Square and MGM, Sony would 100% spend the money on MGM.

Sony has lost money on a MGM deal before .
Plus all MGM big IP have more than one owner and MGM sold off part of there self before so they also have less content .
So no i don't think they would be so quick to choose MGM .

Last edited:

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on how much Sony at large wants those Bond films and less about SCE.

Even if they buy MGM they still can't do what they want with Bond since it has another owner and if i remember hold a big piece of the rights.

They should if Sony Pictures wants to be serious about movie I.Ps in a world where many are getting gobbled up by other companies.

MGM don't have any real big movie IP.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Even if they buy MGM they still can't do what they want with Bond since it has another owner and if i remember hold a big piece of the rights.

MGM don't have any real big movie IP.
You said someone own some rights of James Bond, who is it and how detrimental would they be in opposing Sony's control over the I.Ps?

Sony has a history with James Bond so I assumed MGM owned the entire rights but I guess I was wrong.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
You said someone own some rights of James Bond, who is it and how detrimental would they be in opposing Sony's control over the I.Ps?

Sony has a history with James Bond so I assumed MGM owned the entire rights but I guess I was wrong.

EON Productions Limited and Danjaq LLC are wholly owned and controlled by the Wilson/Broccoli family. Danjaq is the US based company that co-owns, with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, the copyright to the existing James Bond films and controls the right to produce future James Bond films.

Taken from google since i to lazy lol.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
During a pandemic, while handling the biggest console launch ever? You clearly thought wrong. Even basic patches for games are taking more time now. Look at Spider-Man: Miles Morales. Or even Cyberbug 2077.

I thought Miles patched came kinda fast considering they were optimizing two versions. Also, i think they were working on third graphics option simultaneously with patches.

Comparing Miles or lack of PS5 patches with Cyberpunk is wrong. Hotfixes for CP came rather soon. That game launched with a lot of cut content and still like a half a year or more earlier than it should. That game requires a lot more than just patches.

PS5 should receive some patches by now. They are clearly taking their time so when it drops, it cant fuck up anything in OS - but it probably will anyway.

Pandemic or not, the state of the PS5 os/menu and lack of features even 2 months after launch is a failure.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I thought Miles patched came kinda fast considering they were optimizing two versions. Also, i think they were working on third graphics option simultaneously with patches.

Comparing Miles or lack of PS5 patches with Cyberpunk is wrong. Hotfixes for CP came rather soon. That game launched with a lot of cut content and still like a half a year or more earlier than it should. That game requires a lot more than just patches.

PS5 should receive some patches by now. They are clearly taking their time so when it drops, it cant fuck up anything in OS - but it probably will anyway.

Pandemic or not, the state of the PS5 os/menu and lack of features even 2 months after launch is a failure.

But it hasn't been two months. We literally just got back to work after the holiday break.

Most of the time, we hold off releasing updates to our game before a long holiday, because we won't be able to react as fast to any fires that crop up, as the studio is on break.

Contrary to popular belief, we aren't machines, and often need time to recharge the batteries after a year of busting our asses making games that we hope people are enjoying. If you're working for a studio that actually gives a shit about work/life balance (I'm fortunate in that I do), they aren't going to rob their employees of vital R&R just to pump out an update/patch/etc.

For the PlayStation platform, specifically, they launched the PS5 on November 12th. Worked on various stability patches/updates, releasing some high quality first party titles, and then took some fricking much deserved time off for the holidays.

Considering how exhausting 2020 was for so, so many reasons, I know I'm still feeling the burnout, despite having 11 days off for the holidays (I kind of regret not taking the full week off the week of the 26th, honestly).

Now that we're back in the office, we're ramping up for our next updates, and I imagine other studios and platform holders are doing the same, while still trying to manage production pipelines during a global pandemic. Hell, we're still working from home here, and will be for the foreseeable future. I've been working from home since March 2020, and even though I adore my job, the isolation and lack of interaction with friends, family, and coworkers has been hard, and I'm one of the folks that has been fairing far better than a lot of my peers during this pandemic, and it's still hard from time to time. But I'm still expected to do my job to the best of my abilities, and make our game fun for players.

Some patience and empathy doesn't seem too unreasonable to ask.

The patches, updates, features, whatever, will come. It's just taking longer than usual, because we are not living in usual times right now.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't care. Spider-Man: Miles Morales still crashes consoles multiple times. Many of my friends can't play it, because it will crash minutes later. And it crashes the PS5 so hard, it sometimes looks like it killed the console. Cyberpunk is an imcomplete game. SM: Miles Morales is still a buggy mess of a game.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
EON Productions Limited and Danjaq LLC are wholly owned and controlled by the Wilson/Broccoli family. Danjaq is the US based company that co-owns, with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, the copyright to the existing James Bond films and controls the right to produce future James Bond films.

Taken from google since i to lazy lol.
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.