• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
And for those who are tired of this "value" discussion, this is only the beginning. The price hike of games is going to be a major factor in next-gen. I predict that we won't see much more of these record-breaking launches of first-party games, people will be a lot more cautious about their purchases. The reported abysmal numbers of Miles Morales and Demon's Souls are early indications of this.
Do you have anything to back this? And as said on the post above, MM was 49.99, so it doesn't even fits your point.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Sony fans remind me of fans of successful football teams.
The constant success creates strange expectations and even when your team wins you get people doubting and demanding even more.

Sony are doing amazingly well, they have served their fans with a stunning PS4 generation and have started the PS5 as well as they could considering the state of the world. The fact that they have so much good stuff lined up just for the first year and have historically performed extremely well in the console space, and are still doubted by some continues to baffle me.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
The constant success creates strange expectations and even when your team wins you get people doubting and demanding even more.

Sony are doing amazingly well, they have served their fans with a stunning PS4 generation and have started the PS5 as well as they could considering the state of the world. The fact that they have so much good stuff lined up just for the first year and have historically performed extremely well in the console space, and are still doubted by some continues to baffle me.

This feels very true. I'm a Kansas City Chiefs fan and this year is the gloomiest I can remember the really hardcore fans acting (not so much here, but in my family and on twitter and all that). Expectations have risen so high that winning the super bowl and taking the number one seed in the playoffs isn't enough, they have to win every game by fifty points or else they're getting complacent and are setting themselves up for failure.

I don't agree with every decision Sony has made (I'm not sure the $70 will win them much more revenue and might actually hurt sales, I can't say because there hasn't been enough data yet) but the mood around here always feels a bit cloudier than what I see from more casual fans. It just feels like the positives often get buried by the negatives. Most of the complaints I see outside this forum are frustrations at not being able to buy the system because of stock issues.

My own experience with the ps5 has been very smooth so far, better than the ps4 in many ways, as I was out of games to play at this point back in 2014. I think I played Don't Starve for about a hundred hours, and while I enjoyed it, I didn't think it was hundred hours good.

Last edited:

Newman96

Oct 27, 2017
Ordered myself a replacement Dualsense while my other one is being repaired and this one has turned up with a jammed X button that doesn't press, I'm not having much luck with these at all.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Can someone eplain why we constantly have this "Xbox is better than PS" and "PS is ignoring Japan" Threads? And people still claim this Site is filled with "PS Fanboys"? :D

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Returnal looks like a competent game that I would like to try eventually. However that 80€ price tag does not match the expectations, hype, prestige and perceived value of this game. This may be sad but that's how it is.

And for those who are tired of this "value" discussion, this is only the beginning. The price hike of games is going to be a major factor in next-gen. I predict that we won't see much more of these record-breaking launches of first-party games, people will be a lot more cautious about their purchases. The reported abysmal numbers of Miles Morales and Demon's Souls are early indications of this.

Where are you getting this info from ?
Cause miles sold good and it was under $70 ( unless you expect it to past spidey 1 numbers which is lol)
DS remake did good also for being on next gen only .

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017

Some Sony fans just have a problem with both MS and Sony having great content coming out, and instead want Sony to dominate.

Which is dumb. Sony's has a great launch, a great 2021, and that'll keep continuing for hte forseeable future, unless covid fucks up 2022.

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
Some Sony fans just have a problem with both MS and Sony having great content coming out, and instead want Sony to dominate.

Which is dumb. Sony's has a great launch, a great 2021, and that'll keep continuing for hte forseeable future, unless covid fucks up 2022.
Don't put everyone in the same basket. A lot of "Sony Fans" are happy with PS5 and the exclusive games to come. The problem comes from this site, where many people use everything as a weapon for the console warz.
I've come to the conclusion that people don't have patience. Playstation has just had a year to remember and 2021 looks even better. Some believe that Sony will listen to their cries and will show everything they have planned for 2022 and the years to come, but the industry doesn't work like that.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
This reminds me of twenty years ago....

w9nwwhq82rk21.jpg

Hopefully most of those games you mentioned are coming out this year.

Project Athia isnt coming out until 2022/2023.

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For Launch Games we should at final LTD and not Initial Week Sales, they totally rely on Hardware Sales

Anyways im caught up with so many discussion in the MC thread though I dont miles morales and DS as abysmal unless your viewing Physical Chart of games and forming opinions

In regards to Software sales ill wait for the fiscal sales reports for Q3 to understand the audience better on PS 5

Logan Hardy

Dec 26, 2018
I think it is just like hellblade was for ninja theory
This reminds me of twenty years ago....

w9nwwhq82rk21.jpg

Hopefully most of those games you mentioned are coming out this year.
Hopefully 🤞
Miles Morales, Demon's Souls, Astrobot and Sackboy are also part of the first year and yeah, imo it's the best first year for a console ever.

Anyway, some of the games in your list are definitely not 1st year games.

Project Athia and FFXVI are not coming out in 2021.
I believe at least one of them is coming
I kinda don't believe either Horizon or God of War will be landing next year. It would just be too much goodness.
I think horizon is a lock and I am optimistic on gow
I think it is
FF16 and Athia are not both coming out in the same year. And I have very strong doubts either of them are coming out this year, either.
I think one of them is.
Half these games won't make 2021. Willing to bet my account.
I think most of them will.
Project Athia is not a 2021 game and Kena is not a AAA, but to answer your question...yes, it is.
I think kena is but we will have wait and see
1594320614840-gif.314675

A Square Enix concept slice with no release window and "project" in the title isn't coming out the year after it's announcement. I'll be surprised if it comes out at all.
I think one of them will release this year.
Absolutely monster amount of titles. Though I doubt Athia will show this year. Everything else, yeah it should make this one of the strongest first year lineups.
That's good for the rest of the world but if you're talking about Japan it's cataclysmic.
I guess lol
Destruction all stars, returnal, r&c, kena, deathloop are the only 2021 games in this list. So, is that the best 1st year of exclusives?
I think most of them are
😬😬
Kena is not a AAA game. Doesn't make me less excited for it but still, keep in mind what the scale is most likely going to be. And no way are you getting both Athia and XVI in the same year. Other than that though, completely ridiculous year for PS5.
I think kena is AAA like hellblade was for Ninja theory.
AAA games are defined by their budget, not their genre. Both are definitely AAA productions.

AAA budgets can range from 20M to 200+M if not more. Control was around 20~30M to develop.

At this budget, even if they only sold 1M copies, they would break even and make profit.

Even their best arcade games didn't sell enough at 20-30$ to be profitable. I don't see your point. There's a reason why they abandoned these types of games and went with AAA instead.

Kena is a high-end(/AAA) looking indie game, just like Hellblade was when it released. However, it is not a AAA game.
But people relate hellblade as AAA so why not kena too?!

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
That PS2 picture is the platinum standard, each one of those games delivered big time. PS5 has a great shot at this but honestly the odds are against it. Covid has changed things and I do think there will be more than 1 delay. I don't expect GOW, FF16, GT7 to come out this this.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Returnal looks like a competent game that I would like to try eventually. However that 80€ price tag does not match the expectations, hype, prestige and perceived value of this game. This may be sad but that's how it is.

I get a lot of people don't like the price hike... but pricing is subjective and until we actually see how games sell at this new price point no one should be making statements like these.

And abysmal numbers for demon soul's and Miles? Ok...
Can someone eplain why we constantly have this "Xbox is better than PS" and "PS is ignoring Japan" Threads? And people still claim this Site is filled with "PS Fanboys"? :D
Vocal minority + underdog complex.

Always makes for super interesting hot takes.

The interesting about japan, if the PS4 was never released in Japan, it just means sony would have ended up selling like 110M consoles instead of 120M consoles in the PS4s lifetime. If it's true sony is ignoring japan, I can surely clearly see why.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
You're forgetting that japanese games help sell PS in the west as well. PS is not Xbox, there's a large chunk of the fanbase that enjoys japanese games, this isn't just a shooter box.

We're still getting the AAA japanese games but there aren't that many of them, a handful a year if we're lucky. The smaller and mid sized developers are going to have to have serious conversations about the financial viability of the PS5 if Sony is just going to wave the white flag and not even try.

10k should be the weekly baseline, not the amount they ship during peak holiday sales. I just want them to ship enough to ensure we're getting the japanese support that we've come to expect from a PS console.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
One thing i hope we see in the Ghost Sequel ,which probably will play a couple hundred years later, is that there will be a Side quest akin to the Mythic Quests from the first Game where you learn about the Ghost of Tsushima and in that quest you learn how to poison stealth kill your enemies or whatever.

Would thematically be pretty cool and you could see how Jins Story over the decades got blown out of proportions and people aren't even sure if he was a real human or a supernatural being.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
One thing i hope we see in the Ghost Sequel ,which probably will play a couple hundred years later, is that there will be a Side quest akin to the Mythic Quests from the first Game where you learn about the Ghost of Tsushima and in that quest you learn how to poison stealth kill your enemies or whatever.

Would thematically be pretty cool and you could see how Jins Story over the decades got blown out of proportions and people aren't even sure if he was a real human or a supernatural being.

but we know he was real, thus this would have no effect on me whatsoever.

also, they will def. start the sequel where the first game endend.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
You're forgetting that japanese games help sell PS in the west as well. PS is not Xbox, there's a large chunk of the fanbase that enjoys japanese games, this isn't just a shooter box.

We're still getting the AAA japanese games but there aren't that many of them, a handful a year if we're lucky. The smaller and mid sized developers are going to have to have serious conversations about the financial viability of the PS5 if Sony is just going to wave the white flag and not even try.

10k should be the weekly baseline, not the amount they ship during peak holiday sales. I just want them to ship enough to ensure we're getting the japanese support that we've come to expect from a PS console.

Japanese support was never going to depend on Japan even for the mid and small size devs .
PS5 will do find in Japan maybe sell a little less that PS4 but it will do find .
Shipping less to Japan also make sense when you having stock problems WW and XB is non factor there.
I think some people forget what PS4 sold during it's first year in Japan 1.1 million consoles .

EDIT hell it took 4 years to get to 6 million .
I really don't know why some people worrying about Japanese sales so early when stock problems still bad.

Last edited:

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017

Yep, that's very true this gen. My favourite PS4 games from Sony are Bloodborne and Death Stranding, not God of War and The Last of Us Part 2. I'm sure we are many.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018

Miles Morales sales...abysmal? The game is still top 5 everywhere in the world 2 months after release, lmao. And the game didn't come out at 80€. It came out at 50€. So i don't see any indication of anything here...

Oct 27, 2017
i really like how Death Stranding has picked up steam and cemented itself as one of the generation defining games.

i loved it.

I found myself going through the motions with Death Stranding, which is about the worst thing that can happen to a game like that. Without any real interest or engagement with the story, characters or setting, I might as well have been playing truck sim or Snowrunner - games that I fundamentally just enjoy more.

I've nothing bad to say about Death Stranding though. It just didn't connect for me. One of those situations where it seemed like a marmite game, that everyone either loved or hated for a while, but my reaction to it was just "..meh". I'm completely OK with it receiving buzz and recognition now, though.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017

Hell, that's basically what Legends is.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017

I just want a damn WRPG but MS bought the whole fucking genre lol.

I had already gotten a new PC at the beginning of the year, but I didn't get anything too high end because I figured I'd just use it for my strategy games and wasn't intending to play AAA demanding games on it. Then MS bought Bethesda and now I'm fucked, with a huge wrench thrown into my next gen plans. I either have to spend hundreds of dollars on an Xbox or PC upgrades in a few years, just to play the same damn games I've always played anywhere.

I'm really not a fan of longtime multiplatform games/devs being ripped away. This applies to timed exclusives as well, but I'd much rather have to wait 1 year to play ES6 than not be able to play it at all. Massive publisher acquisitions are a whole new level of shitty. And if other tech giants (Amazon, Google, FB, Apple) decide to take gaming seriously and invest heavily in publisher acquisitions as well, I honestly don't think Sony can compete long term. They can't survive without robust third party support, and if more publishers get gobbled up, I honestly think they're fucked.

Has nothing to do with fanboying or team sports shit, I'm just honestly pissed off that many of my favorite developers (and a whole goddamn genre) have been bought out and ripped away from the platform I'm already invested in, meaning I'll have to spend hundreds of dollars more just to play the same games I otherwise would have been able to. I honestly think I have a right to be angry about that.

I'm also worried about the direction the industry is heading with the massive consolidation and attempts to mimic the video streaming industry. I don't want a future where all third parties are bought out and you have to sub to 6+ different services just to play the major games that used to be available anywhere. If that were to happen, I'd honestly just give up on modern gaming and stick to replaying "retro" stuff.

So yeah, it's been a great year for games and this year looks good too, but there are valid reasons to be worried or nervous about the future. The industry is obviously going through some major changes and we don't know how it'll play out in the long run.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
I found myself going through the motions with Death Stranding, which is about the worst thing that can happen to a game like that. Without any real interest or engagement with the story, characters or setting, I might as well have been playing truck sim or Snowrunner - games that I fundamentally just enjoy more.

I've nothing bad to say about Death Stranding though. It just didn't connect for me. One of those situations where it seemed like a marmite game, that everyone either loved or hated for a while, but my reaction to it was just "..meh". I'm completely OK with it receiving buzz and recognition now, though.

interesting to see your point cause it reminded me of my first hour or so with the game, i was exactly like you. but then somehow the game clicked hard for me. i am a lover of intended isolation and those calm and serene gaming moments, and Death Stranding is all of those: The Game™.

let alone saying it's one the better looking games ever made, it was eye candy.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
I finally beat Ghost of Tsushima this weekend, and it was fantastic. The guiding wind really was a genius mechanic for the game, loved it. Played the whole game on PS5 and it looked great, with lightning fast load times. Still not sure if I'd place it above Horizon or not, but it's easily one of my favorite open world games this gen.

I think what Ghost (and Horizon) do so much better than a lot of other open worlds is nailing the combat and controls so that the moment to moment gameplay always feels smooth and enjoyable. It goes a long way in preventing burnout on these types of games. RDR2 took me 18 months to get though in comparison, because while I loved the world, story, and characters, actually playing the game felt like such a damn chore and actively hindered my enjoyment. By the end, I didn't even give a shit about the story anymore because I just wanted it to be over lol.

Oct 27, 2017
interesting to see your point cause it reminded me of my first hour or so with the game, i was exactly like you. but then somehow the game clicked hard for me. i am a lover of intended isolation and those calm and serene gaming moments, and Death Stranding is all of those: The Game™.

let alone saying it's one the better looking games ever made, it was eye candy.

Absolutely. It is stunning to look at. My first experience with it was on an ultrawide monitor on PC, and it's easily one of the better uses of that setup.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
I finally beat Ghost of Tsushima this weekend, and it was fantastic. The guiding wind really was a genius mechanic for the game, loved it. Played the whole game on PS5 and it looked great, with lightning fast load times. Still not sure if I'd place it above Horizon or not, but it's easily one of my favorite open world games this gen.

I think what Ghost (and Horizon) do so much better than a lot of other open worlds is nailing the combat and controls so that the moment to moment gameplay always feels smooth and enjoyable. It goes a long way in preventing burnout on these types of games. RDR2 took me 18 months to get though in comparison, because while I loved the world, story, and characters, actually playing the game felt like such a damn chore and actively hindered my enjoyment. By the end, I didn't even give a shit about the story anymore because I just wanted it to be over lol.

Congrats! I'm about a third of the way through (just finished doing everything on the first big area of the island) and I agree with you on most points.

My only complaint so far is that I hope a potential sequel to Ghost gives us a wider range of activities. It also feels weird that I was able to max out a majority of my skills and techniques in the first chapter of the game.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
but we know he was real, thus this would have no effect on me whatsoever.

also, they will def. start the sequel where the first game endend.
I mean, yeah we know that he is real, but it would be super interesting to see how a legend gets formed and shaped over the decades. People add new stuff to make the legend sound more exciting, other things get taken out of context etc. The mythic tales in Ghost are all Legends about people that had supposedly supernatural abilities but we as players know that they were just real people. I want to see how time would remember the Ghost of Tsushima.

Starting the Game where the first Game ended would be the most boring sequel of all time...Like there is nothing left to do and doing a second invasion just 7 years later would be basically the same Game again, but this time
you also fight Samurai i guess, also Sucker Punch would be in an Infamous 2 dilemma situation again, with which ending to continue from

Kazuma Kiryu

Oct 28, 2017

Guys, reported abysmal numbers!

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017

Does it really matter if the game is shipped as PS4 or PS5 sku for these niche Japanese games when the PS5 is backwards compatible. I just don't see developers abandoning PS because like you said their games still sell WW. I feel like I've been hearing about devs abandoning PS since the DS started to outsell the PSP in Japan.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
Didn't Demon's Souls debut at 10 on the NPD charts for November, then surge up to 3 on Decembers charts?

People are calling that a failure...? Dude what is thread.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018

I actually would place Horizon ahead of GoT. The sidequests were better in there. Trying to liberate the entire island can get so repetitive in GoT. But i still love the game.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
I suppose the poster was referring to the numbers in Japan, that's the only place where 'abysmal' could be valid.

This narrative needs to be put to rest. I lived in Japan for over 3 years. The culture is not conducive to console gaming. It is a culture with demanding working hours, and long train commutes.

This trend is why I believe xCloud will succeed in Japan, but Xbox is even more "dead" than PS so idk why the narrative is solely focused around PS.

Status
Not open for further replies.