• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
I'm saying I look at the game - the visuals, the gameplay, the genre - and I don't see a $70 game. I don't see a AAA game. Not to mention, honestly, that it's going to be hard for me to see many games that I feel will be worth $70; it's not just Returnal.

And ultimately the market will decide if $70 is the right price. We'll see.
It's not any different to Control on these fronts (in terms of quality) and Control was a full-priced release despite being in the low-end of AAA budgets. It's just fucked up that the UK pricing is wack. Going from 45£ to 80£ is BS.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
It's not any different to Control on these fronts (in terms of quality) and Control was a full-priced release despite being in the low-end of AAA budgets.
I guess it's just perception. I don't mean to be dismissive of the game, but Control looks like a $60 when I saw gameplay of it, and Returnal doesn't look like a $70 game (to me). And again, even last-gen's full retail price of $60 might have even changed my perception a little bit. $70 is a hard pill to swallow for games. I haven't bought a single $70 game yet and I'm going to have to be vey picky about that.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
In the end it doesn't matter if it's AA or AAA.

People will make the decision if the game is worth 70$. From the early reaction, it doesn't seem the way that people perceive a 70$ value for the game.

That might change when we get more footage or reviews, but 70 bucks will always be a tough sell and your game have to live up to these expectations of a huge blockbuster game that's super expensive to make to justify that price tag.

Something like Horizon and God of War won't have any problems with that, but I think it will be a quite a struggle for Returnal.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Arcade shooter is undeniably a niche genre and roughlikes don't really exist outside of the indie space. Combining the two and charging $70 feels risky.

But I think good reviews (practically guaranteed), word of mouth and being an early PS5 exclusive will give Returnal a fighting chance. A demo for people to check out that sweet sweet Housemarque gameplay would be brilliant as well.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any word on how long the campaign is?

I'm not a big fan of using the hours of gameplay vs money spent argument, but if the campaign is short like The Order 1886, that could hurt Returnal's chances at $70.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Is there any word on how long the campaign is?

I'm not a big fan of using the hours of gameplay vs money spent argument, but if the campaign is short like The Order 1886, that could hurt Returnal's chances at $70.

Since its a rougelike with lots of replayability i dont expect an actual long campaign.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Control budget was €20-30 million, that's low-low-end of AAA
Still a AAA though.
I guess it's just perception. I don't mean to be dismissive of the game, but Control looks like a $60 when I saw gameplay of it, and Returnal doesn't look like a $70 game (to me). And again, even last-gen's full retail price of $60 might have even changed my perception a little bit. $70 is a hard pill to swallow for games. I haven't bought a single $70 game yet and I'm going to have to be vey picky about that.
That's fair. SIE needs to do a better job at convincing people that Returnal will be worth people's time (and money).
I'd disagree that it being a mostly a remake disqualifies it form being AAA or Demons' Souls PS5 wouldn't be AAA.
The Ratcher and Clank 2016 remake is not AAA because it wasn't budgeted as one. The game was developed and shipped under 2 years. They only had 10 months initially to ship the game. It's not AAA. Also, let's not compare the scale at which the Ratchet and Clank remake was made to the one for Demon's Souls on PS5. Demon's Souls is a much much bigger game than any Ratchet and Clank game ever will be.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Since its a rougelike with lots of replayability i dont expect an actual long campaign.
Replayability can be found elsewhere and in different ways. Like through a Boss Rush mode, Survival/Wave mode, multiple endings, it could be anything. The details behind its replayability has not been revealed yet. Let's not assume because the game has roguelike elements and lots of replayability that it will be a short game.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Replayability can be found elsewhere and in different ways. Like through a Boss Rush mode, Survival/Wave mode, multiple endings, it could be anything. The details behind its replayability has not been revealed yet. Let's not assume because the game has roguelike elements and lots of replayability that it will be a short game.

Well for example you can do hades runs within 15 min and i played that game for 50+ hours already so... :) Im not concerned about the lenght of the first playthrough at all

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Destruction Allstars also needs a better video showing game modes and so on. Those Days Gone videos and both GOT/TLOU2 State Of Plays need to be used as a example.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
source.gif

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I need my shoot of particles.

Otherwise people should not forget that Returnal is released five month after the console launch. The current PS5 demographic isn't representative of a mainstream audience, and maybe more inclined to buy game like this, rogue fans or not, housemarque fans or not, because it looks made for next-gen and not just improved by, while immediately identifiable as a shooter.

And for people who are begging for a console in every tweets posted by official Sony accounts, it's also a nice showcase that has something extremely sophisticated and purely retro at the same time. Here I am not objective, but I feel like the young boy I was discovering R-Type, Super Metroid, F-Zero or Shadow of the beast when seeing this, it's gorgeous.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Wow. First time I've seen this and have been interested, they been showing it so weirdly I feel. Looks fun.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt Housemarques arcade games were underperforming (besides maybe Matterfall. Which was a very small game tho). It's what Sony signed them to do. And games like Dead Nation definitely didn't underperform either.
Evolution Studio was a totally different story. MotorStorm was successful and was a million seller. Then there were the sequels, where they were unlucky with the release date, because of the whole "earthquake and tsunami" issues around the world. Apocalypse got delayed multiple times and flopped. Then they made Driveclub and released a game with a broken multiplayer system. And at the same time Sony realized they don't need another racing-focused studio. And we all know what then happened.
No similarities at all. Housemarque simply makes great games. Gameplay-wise and tech-wise. Overall a great studio in a country where developing games doesn't cost a fortune. And they have over a decade of experience working with Sony. Great studio. Would be a great Sony Worldwide Studio. Returnal looks great and brings something new to the PS 1st party library.

I remember them saying there games were underperforming and we not talking about matter fall alone .
www.rockpapershotgun.com

Housemarque declare "arcade is dead," ditch the genre

"Arcade is dead," Finnish studio Housemarque declared today. They're overstating a little, of course, but they are done…
Which is why they were looking at doing other things.
I love there games and i hope this one does good but they don't seem to have luck with sales.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember them saying there games were underperforming and we not talking about matterfall alone .
www.rockpapershotgun.com

Housemarque declare "arcade is dead," ditch the genre

"Arcade is dead," Finnish studio Housemarque declared today. They're overstating a little, of course, but they are done…
Which is why they were look at doing other things.
Underperforming in the sense that Mattefall and Nex Machina (3rd party) didn't do well anymore, because Arcada games where dying? That was known. It was time for the next AAA step.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Like you said, Bloodborne can be done in 20mins too and that's easily a 35-50h game (at minimum).

On a shopping spree? 🤔
That's comparing apples to oranges.
The average time to clear Hades one time is 30 min.
However, it might take 10-15 hrs to get your first clear because you will be continually dying and also meeting new characters, new story and getting new upgrades.
And then once you beat Hades, you have to beat the game 9 more times to actually unravel the entire story and get the credits. And then their is an epilogue after playing countless more hours and the game incentivizes countless hours with its heat level system.

No one here is talking about speedruns lmao...20 min for Boodborne...come on now haha.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
That's comparing apples to oranges.
The average time to clear Hades one time is 30 min.
However, it might take 10-15 hrs to get your first clear because you will be continually dying and also meeting new characters, new story and getting new upgrades.
And then once you beat Hades, you have to beat the game 9 more times to actually unravel the entire story and get the credits. And then their is an epilogue after playing countless more hours and the game incentivizes countless hours with its heat level system.

No one here is talking about speedruns lmao...20 min for Boodborne...come on now haha.
Oh. I didn't know the average playthrough for Hades was around 30 mins. Kinda suprised by that. Haha. 😂

MistBreeze

Mar 31, 2020
acquisitions talk .... it is booooring

every body said nintiindo is doomed when microsoft acquired Rare but look at what happened to one of the best studios ever

microsoft mismanagement is the real issue and I feel they will mismanage Bethesda as they mismanaged 343 and many

also Sony aquired insomniac one of the best in industry ... people are ungrateful

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

every body said nintiindo is doomed when microsoft acquired Rare but look at what happened to one of the best studios ever

microsoft mismanagement is the real issue and I feel they will mismanage Bethesda as they mismanaged 343 and many

also Sony aquired insomniac one of the best in industry ... people are ungrateful
From Software acquisition next! HYPE!!

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home

Bethesda already said that being owned by MS won't change the development culture or management style. And let's not compare the early days of MS/Xbox management style when it first started to thr one of today. 😐

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Really excited about Returnal.

I love Resogun so much and Returnal just seems to be Housemarque going beyond what they have ever done for but still bringing what they are always known for.

Side note:

Does anyone else have any problems playing Rise of the Tomb Raider. I always get nauseous when I play it and cant last 5 mins. I thought It'd be better when I got a Pro years back. Now with PS5 and locked framerates, it still gives me headaches. I think it might be the motion blur or something.

Pretty good month for PS+ for me. Dodged a bullet not buying Shadow of the Tomb Raider last month. Now I have 20$ left towards my next purchase for PS5 I swear I'll get to Demon's Souls. I just need the proper timing and mindset.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone else have any problems playing Rise of the Tomb Raider. I always get nauseous when I play it and cant last 5 mins. I thought It'd be better when I got a Pro years back. Now with PS5 and locked framerates, it still gives me headaches. I think it might be the motion blur or something.

Pretty good month for PS+ for me. Dodged a bullet not buying Shadow of the Tomb Raider last month. Now I have 20$ left towards my next purchase for PS5 I swear I'll get to Demon's Souls. I just need the proper timing and mindset.
Good friend of mine can't play Rise either, because of the motion blur. She feels sick after a short while and gets a headache. So yeah, happens. It's the motion blur.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Side note:

Rise and Shadow never bothered me in terms of motion blur and giving me a headache, but I'm sorry to hear about that.

Logan Hardy

Dec 26, 2018
1. Destruction all-stars (AAA)
2. Returnal (AAA)
3. Ratchet and clank : rift apart. (AAA)
4. Gt 7. (AAA)
5. Horizon forbidden west. (AAA)
6. God of war Ragnarok. (AAA)
7. Kena : bridge of spirit (AAA)
8. Deathloop. (AAA)
9. Ghostwire Tokyo. (AAA)
10. Project athia. (AAA)
11. Final fantasy 16. (AAA)
12. Factions 2. (AAA)
13. MLB the show 21. (AAA)
( All of them are exclusives , timed atleast)
Is this the best 1st year of a console ever?? 🤔🤔

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.