• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I still remember that Sandman tease in Ultimate Spiderman... I really enjoyed the game but yeah, like many Spidey games it was darn short if you only stuck to the story. Maybe that's why they made those Human Torch races so darn tough...

Yeah, at the time, money was super tight for me, so dropping $50 on a game wasn't easy. So when I beat it in a few hours, I was so disappointed. It's not like the game had a ton of extra side activities that were worth a damn, and I didn't even plan on beating the story that soon, I was just playing and going to missions while swinging around, and then it was over!

It's really funny thinking about non-GTA open world games back then. They were honestly, pretty sparse. And now look at them lol

I think there's a happy medium between cultured open world content, filler open world content, and story missions. I think games like Horizon Zero Dawn, and Ghost of Tsushima ride that line rather well. I never felt like either overstayed their welcome, but I also think the pure joy of its gameplay systems offset the usual tedium you can get from an open world game. Combat in particular, was highly enjoyable for both, and the environments were gorgeous, and I loved just wandering and exploring, looking at the gorgeous art design.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I'm actually a little bit bummed Sackboy is scoring the way it is. I had hoped it would be confidently in the 80s. Not that it's going to affect MY enjoyment of the game, mine you; I think it's clear from the impressions that it's well worth playing. Rather, everyone knows that good metacritic scores are good for developers., both in morale and future support. 75 is at the very low end of where you would want a game to be as a developer/publisher. That being said, only five reviews. I'm still confident it can get to 80 by the time all the reviews are out.

Game really does look great.
Don't trust most full reviews this early they JUST got the game. Anyone responsible would be doing a preview vs a full review so fast.
however DF guys gave them great praise.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
latest

(I hope they at the very least do a patch to unlock the framerate in 2. I need that to run at 60 like the remaster. That's all I ask lol.)
Definitely going to replay it on my PS5.

Both games are also on sale on PSN for under $10 for anyone who doesn't have them yet. :)

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Best Buy seems like it may actually come through for me after all. My order detail now says the PS5 is arriving tomorrow!

Oct 26, 2017
Going by the OT I am SO glad I never got very far in Demon's Souls OG 😅 there's a lot of upset people in there.

Been watching streams all day and the game looks awesome to me. Ignorance is bliss I guess lol.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Going by the OT I am SO glad I never got very far in Demon's Souls OG 😅 there's a lot of upset people in there.

Been watching streams all day and the game looks awesome to me. Ignorance is bliss I guess lol.

But you will not understand the og game direction, you will be missing that amazing font!!!! lol just kidding, just ignore all the nitpicking.

Oct 24, 2019
It's honestly surreal that the PS5 arrives tomorrow, it's been such a long road of speculation, waiting for Sony to announce any damn events, getting the drip feed of info, and so on.

It's been an honor riding this rollercoaster with you guys
giphy.gif

Lumines

Oct 25, 2017
Mine arrives at my courier tomorrow, so it'll be another week until I have it in my possession, but definitely excited to start this new gen.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

Never played it and I don't get the foolishness it's a remake Not a remaster. Go play the old one if they want to.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that people have the PS5 could anyone confirm if an account will have a main PS3/PS4 and Ps5?

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, European people of the thread. You should be able to get Bugsnax on PS+ now if you use this url and change the "en-se" for your store.

Bugsnax

Bugsnax takes you on a whimsical adventure to Snaktooth Island, home of the legendary half-bug half-snack creatures, Bugsnax. Invited by intrepid explorer Elizabert Megafig, you arrive to discover your host nowhere to be found, her camp in shambles, and her followers scattered across the island...

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia

They really should just create a new thread for people who just want to compare it to the original game and whine about it :P

loading screens inside home was one of the most annoying things ever. Imagine home on PS5 without any loading times.
lol yeah

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
The UI is so snappy, downloads are quick and its quiet. Games look amazing of course.
Happy.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I've actually never played Legend of Dragoon beyond a demo from one of OPM's issues (I was poor, man, I couldn't afford every cool game that came out!), but I have to wonder, with the game being so old, and also considering how far the RPG genre has evolved over the years, what would you expect a Legend of Dragoon on PS5 to be like?

Bluepoint has shown that they have a mission statement to maintain the integrity of the gameplay of the titles they remake, even when they update the visuals (see, Shadow of the Colossus HD Remaster on PS3, and Shadow of the Colossus Remake on PS4; aside from the obvious graphical improvements, the core feel of the gameplay is relatively identical; though the controls are tighter and more responsive, and the framerate is rock solid). So I wonder, what aspects of Legend of Dragoon should remain faithful to its now 21 year old game design?

Taking off rose tinted glasses for a second, are there any gameplay systems that still hold up today, and that would translate to modern game design sensibilities? And then I have to ask, if Bluepoint has to make executive decisions about how to bring that game forward 20 years, is it really still true to Legend of Dragoon for the fans?

Demon's Souls, at its core, is still Demon's Souls. It's gameplay systems were already brilliant and engaging. It was simply hampered by a mix of complicated to develop for hardware, and the time/budget resources at the From Software team's disposal. I'll have to watch some LoD let's plays, but I have a feeling that updating that game would be quite a monumental task for Bluepoint, and also potentially polarizing for longtime fans.

I think about Final Fantasy VII Remake. I remember loving the original to death back when I first played it in 1997, but I feel like the Remake was an excellent re-imagining, and it wasn't just a copy/paste of the original, with pretty graphics. I guess, to wrap my head around the passion for a LoD remake, I want to know what the fans of the original actually want when they picture a Legend of Dragoon Remake on PS5.

Personally, I think Bluepoint excels at 3rd person action/adventure games. It's primarily what they've spent the past 10+ honing their developmental skills on. With that in mind, I think, if they stay in the Sony catalogue, a remake of inFAMOUS and inFAMOUS 2 would be an excellent fit. The core gameplay of inFAMOUS is great, and the super powers and setting of Empire City and New Marais would let them flex their engine's muscles as well. Jak and Daxter might work, but I wonder how they'd translate the bright and colorful cartoony style to the PS5. I'd hope like Insomniac has been continuously evolving Ratchet & Clank into over the past decade, but I wonder if Bluepoint's artists are interested in going that route, when they so clearly have a strong eye for more "grounded," "gritty," and "realistic" worlds.

I can't see them doing a remake of Uncharted, as they've already remastered the original trilogy for PS4. Same for God of War 1 -3 Remake, so I'm curious. I'm not saying I wouldn't be down for a Legend of Dragoon Remake (I know that they've already expressed a fondness for that game), I just wonder how closely to the original would they be able to keep, while keeping longtime fans pleased, yet appealing to the wider PlayStation audience with gameplay mechanics that may be considered "dated" by today's standards.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. How do you like the controller also the audio
Completely forgot to mention how much of a game changer that thing will actually be if it is supported, there is so much granularity to how it can transmit "feel".

I will try my headset later on and will report back.

P.S. The console looks awesome. They knocked the entire package out of the park.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Completely forgot to mention how much of a game changer that thing will actually be if it is supported, there is so much granularity to how it can transmit "feel".

I will try my headset later on and will report back.

P.S. The console looks awesome. They knocked the entire package out of the park.
I want to stand mine up so bad but I think it's gonna reach a bit taller than my tv :( hopefully will see tomorrow. yeah I can't wait to try astrobot

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I haven't caught up on the OT thread yet, but people are whining about Demon's Souls? 🙄

I mean, Demon's Souls is my second favorite Souls game out of the entire series. It used to be the first, but Bloodborne took that crown, and I think the Remake looks phenomenal. It's beyond what I ever expected of a Demon's Souls on PS5. Hell, I never expected we'd get Demon's Souls at all, not even an HD Remaster, let alone a full blown remake.

I'm in the camp of people that loved Bluepoints Shadow of the Colossus Remake (and the original PS2 title is literally in my top 5 games of all time, so it's not like I went into the PS4 Remake with a casual interest in the series), and so learning that Bluepoint was behind a Demon's Souls Remake had me giddy. Then, when I finally saw it, I was blown away. Visually, I think it matches the concept art in a way the PS3 and From Software just couldn't pull off, and knowing the methodology behind how they tackle Remasters and Remakes, I had no concerns over how the game was going to feel.

With that said, even if they completely re-imagined the game from gameplay to graphics, I'd shrug my shoulders. It's a Remake, not an HD Remaster or a carbon copy. I still have my PS3 copy of Demon's Souls. If I really, really wanted that classic From Software jank, I'd pop that disc into my PS3 and play it with the horrible Dual Shock 3. As it is, I'm all in with Bluepoint's version of Boletaria. It's like how I see Demon's Souls in my head when I reminisce about playing it for the first time way back when. I have a feeling I'm going to be adding more people to my ignore list if I go back into that thread...🤦‍♂️

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
For pointless reasons I wanted DeS to be my first PS5 experience but I'm increasingly thinking it's going to be Astro's Playroom after reading so many glowing opinions of it. And I know I'm going to be waiting for downloads.
I completely understand, it's hard to decide lol. I think I want to do it first to really get to check out the controller with all of its demonstrations but yeah it's tough when there's also all those other top tier choices as options to start with too. Feel like I'm going to be doing a lot of bouncing between things but will try not to do it too quickly so I can at least take in the games properly and then really dive into them deeper next lol.

The UI is so snappy, downloads are quick and its quiet. Games look amazing of course.
Happy.
Awesome.

Last edited:

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
I'm actually a little bit bummed Sackboy is scoring the way it is. I had hoped it would be confidently in the 80s. Not that it's going to affect MY enjoyment of the game, mine you; I think it's clear from the impressions that it's well worth playing. Rather, everyone knows that good metacritic scores are good for developers., both in morale and future support. 75 is at the very low end of where you would want a game to be as a developer/publisher. That being said, only five reviews. I'm still confident it can get to 80 by the time all the reviews are out.

Game really does look great.
Only 4 reviews so far

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the camp of people that loved Bluepoints Shadow of the Colossus Remake (and the original PS2 title is literally in my top 5 games of all time, so it's not like I went into the PS4 Remake with a casual interest in the series), and so learning that Bluepoint was behind a Demon's Souls Remake had me giddy. Then, when I finally saw it, I was blown away. Visually, I think it matches the concept art in a way the PS3 and From Software just couldn't pull off, and knowing the methodology behind how they tackle Remasters and Remakes, I had no concerns over how the game was going to feel.
Same, they nitpicked the SOTC remake and that thing was amazing, like a cutting edge current gen game. And their Demon's Souls looks jaw-dropping, I can't wait.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
Picking up my DE tomorrow. Already bought Demon's Souls and Spider-Man: Miles Morales UE plus I'm gonna grab Bugsnax too. Gonna play Astro Boy while they download. Hehe. Still looking at the PS+ collection to figure which one's I should download. Gonna buy a 2TB SSD expansion with that next stimulus check when we find out which drives are compatible. Overall...

Mohsenix

Mar 31, 2018
I didn't know Sackboy has a voice and sounds like a little boy when jumping and punching enemies. He doesn't talk but it'll need a little getting used to for LBP fans I guess.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little surprised that people are surprised about Astro's Playroom. This same team did just create one of the best games of the decade. I get that expectations were set by the price (free!), but I ride or die with ASOBI team.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I think I am just going to go to bed. If it ships it ships, if it doesn't it doesn't. 🤷‍♂️

When I looked at Greg's stream basically all loading feats will be for games designed to take advantage of the PS5's SSD.

Miles, Demon's Souls. SackBoy, etc... basically have no loading times or 2-3 seconds.

BC on the other hand isn't optimized and just acts like a PS4 with an SSD attached is what I am guessing. Counts on the game.
Yeah, plus now that it's here as they transition past launch deadlines I could see them continuing to optimize BC loading more over time and hopefully maybe eventually work out a way to have their loads piped through the new path that it's almost certainly completely ignoring and unaware of, if that's even possible, since it's still new.

It was so cool seeing Greg click on Spider-Man as he was about to answer a question and it loaded the game and his game save just as insanely fast as we've seen before he even got through the question lol.

Last edited:

illmatic22

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Bowl LII Champions
On the eve of the PS5 release in the US I had to say that I really enjoyed my time with the PS4. It got the PlayStation brand back to prominence and of course had a great library of games including my long awaited Final Fantasy VII Remake. So excited to see and play what's in store for next gen.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I've actually never played Legend of Dragoon beyond a demo from one of OPM's issues (I was poor, man, I couldn't afford every cool game that came out!), but I have to wonder, with the game being so old, and also considering how far the RPG genre has evolved over the years, what would you expect a Legend of Dragoon on PS5 to be like?

Bluepoint has shown that they have a mission statement to maintain the integrity of the gameplay of the titles they remake, even when they update the visuals (see, Shadow of the Colossus HD Remaster on PS3, and Shadow of the Colossus Remake on PS4; aside from the obvious graphical improvements, the core feel of the gameplay is relatively identical; though the controls are tighter and more responsive, and the framerate is rock solid). So I wonder, what aspects of Legend of Dragoon should remain faithful to its now 21 year old game design?

Taking off rose tinted glasses for a second, are there any gameplay systems that still hold up today, and that would translate to modern game design sensibilities? And then I have to ask, if Bluepoint has to make executive decisions about how to bring that game forward 20 years, is it really still true to Legend of Dragoon for the fans?

Demon's Souls, at its core, is still Demon's Souls. It's gameplay systems were already brilliant and engaging. It was simply hampered by a mix of complicated to develop for hardware, and the time/budget resources at the From Software team's disposal. I'll have to watch some LoD let's plays, but I have a feeling that updating that game would be quite a monumental task for Bluepoint, and also potentially polarizing for longtime fans.

I think about Final Fantasy VII Remake. I remember loving the original to death back when I first played it in 1997, but I feel like the Remake was an excellent re-imagining, and it wasn't just a copy/paste of the original, with pretty graphics. I guess, to wrap my head around the passion for a LoD remake, I want to know what the fans of the original actually want when they picture a Legend of Dragoon Remake on PS5.

Personally, I think Bluepoint excels at 3rd person action/adventure games. It's primarily what they've spent the past 10+ honing their developmental skills on. With that in mind, I think, if they stay in the Sony catalogue, a remake of inFAMOUS and inFAMOUS 2 would be an excellent fit. The core gameplay of inFAMOUS is great, and the super powers and setting of Empire City and New Marais would let them flex their engine's muscles as well. Jak and Daxter might work, but I wonder how they'd translate the bright and colorful cartoony style to the PS5. I'd hope like Insomniac has been continuously evolving Ratchet & Clank into over the past decade, but I wonder if Bluepoint's artists are interested in going that route, when they so clearly have a strong eye for more "grounded," "gritty," and "realistic" worlds.

I can't see them doing a remake of Uncharted, as they've already remastered the original trilogy for PS4. Same for God of War 1 -3 Remake, so I'm curious. I'm not saying I wouldn't be down for a Legend of Dragoon Remake (I know that they've already expressed a fondness for that game), I just wonder how closely to the original would they be able to keep, while keeping longtime fans pleased, yet appealing to the wider PlayStation audience with gameplay mechanics that may be considered "dated" by today's standards.
There's a lot about LoD that holds up today, especially the battle system. One thing that would be interesting to see, if BP did remake LoD, is if they keep the pre-rendered backgrounds. I think it would be cheaper and less time consuming if they just made it real-time.

Story wise it was a FF wanna be, but still interesting. If they re-did it they should get full autonomy in reimagining the game. Players wouldn't be so against the small stuff like SotC and Demon's so there's room for some good interpretation.

It can be done, they'd just have to go all out with it in my opinion.

Umbasa

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
28 seconds to load my subnautica save and get in game.

Holy fuck, EDF 4.1 is virtually instant once you select your level and 0 performance hiccups with my giant energy bombs exploding with hundreds of giant ants in my face!

Broforce was smooth. Didn't experience any frame drops

Strafe runs fine too.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Same, they nitpicked the SOTC remake and that thing was amazing, like a cutting edge current gen game. And their Demon's Souls looks jaw-dropping, I can't wait.

Agreed. In my book, Bluepoint already did the "faithful remaster" of Shadow of the Colossus with the excellent Ico/SotC HD Collection on PS3 (and both are playable on PS Now if folks really, really want to play the version of the game that looks and plays like the PS2 one), so I was absolutely blown away by the SotC Remake. I didn't care about the "Wanderfacegate" among many other stupid "gates" the gaming community gets fixated on from time to time, so I just got swept up in seeing one of my favorite games of all time realized in such a beautiful way.

I'm legit wowed by how good Demon's Souls looks, and I'm still in disbelief that in a few short hours, I'll be playing it myself! I actually started replaying the original earlier this year (long before the Remake was revealed), because I adore it, but I made myself stop after the first Archstone. Maybe because deep down, I just felt in my bones a PS5 version would come one day XD (Narrator: No he didn't). I'm glad I didn't keep playing. I already beat it way back when, and while I remember so much of it, I'm pretty sure this is going to feel like a new experience for me since it's been so long!

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
28 seconds to load my subnautica save and get in game.

Holy fuck, EDF 4.1 is virtually instant once you select your level and 0 performance hiccups with my giant energy bombs exploding with hundreds of giant ants in my face!

Broforce was smooth. Didn't experience any frame drops

Strafe runs fine too.
Wow. I can finally play EDF. The performance was always why I never bothered with em.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I agree esp when I see stuff like this. All I think is the story is what it is, but the combat and loot systems are great. And that works for me lol. And blessing for example here is hard on games at times too lol.

Yeah, can't really say what I expect for the story but the game has grown a ton on me ever since the reveal trailer and it just looks like a fun time especially since I'll hopefully be able to play it with some of you here. I always enjoy games with loot systems so I expect to have a lot of fun when I play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.