• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
It's been so weird they were so quiet with BC and UI, when both look great. I guess they wanted to keep the hype cycle going all the way up to release?

People can't seem to wrap their head around the idea that Sony has a very specific plan for how they want to talk about and show the PS5. This should've been made clear when they went to Wired to talk to them about it last year. That came completely out of nowhere. Them being quiet about something doesn't mean that there's some sort of problem with it. But because they're quiet at times it leads to people to speculate that there must be something wrong with it and that's why they only showed a logo at CES. Or that it's going to be super expensive because they sat on the price for so long. Or that the UI must be very similar to the PS4's which is why they weren't showing it.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
People can't seem to wrap their head around the idea that Sony has a very specific plan for how they want to talk about and show the PS5. This should've been made clear when they went to Wired to talk to them about it last year. That came completely out of nowhere. Them being quiet about something doesn't mean that there's some sort of problem with it. But because they're quiet at times it leads to people to speculate that there must be something wrong with it and that's why they only showed a logo at CES. Or that it's going to be super expensive because they sat on the price for so long. Or that the UI must be very similar to the PS4's which is why they weren't showing it.
I mean, that's what I assumed, that it's their plan they have adn they're not changing it, but there's always a little doubt that the reason they didn't something because it's underwhelming, or not going to highlight the system as well as the software/ hardware will.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
With every reveal of the PS5, it really feels like they got together some years ago and said how do we make improve every ancillary aspect of gaming. The sheer amount of QoL improvements and delight-inducing features with the controller, audio, UI and direction make the PS5 such an exciting product.
Well said. I keep repeating it but PS5 really seems like a checklist response to like 15 years of console HD gaming gripes we've all had.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
BC games, even if it's only a few, having activity functionality on PS5 is nice.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Have to say my favorite feature is following developers on PS5 for news/updates. Something I've wanted for a very long time. That and spoiler warnings.

Leonine

Sep 19, 2020
With every reveal of the PS5, it really feels like they got together some years ago and said how do we make improve every ancillary aspect of gaming. The sheer amount of QoL improvements and delight-inducing features with the controller, audio, UI and direction make the PS5 such an exciting product.

I'm personally more excited about the DualSense and Audio capabilities of the new system than I am of the 10.3TF's it has. 😂 Stuff like that and a PSVR2 in the future are a more immersive experience than pushing more pixels to me.

Games are going to look bonkers good, they've looked bonkers good for a few years now. It's those extras that I'm more interested in that bring the whole experience together.

UI was the last step of that showcase, I'm happy with what I saw. 👍

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I just realized the only way to remote play via PSVita is using a PS4. 😥

I may get a cheap PS4pro years down the line if I need to use Vita remote play. I know android phones are in better position but its silly that Vita is not supporting due to lacking buttons? but its not like a smartphone has more buttons either. (Not sure if that is the real reason Sony dropped vita rp on ps5)

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
My honest question is, why the fuck does it matter so much how Sony handles their marketing or messaging? Like, does it really, truly have an affect on us, as the consumer and gamer?

Like, the games are why we want these consoles, right? It's not like Sony hasn't been delivering games with each event they've held since taking the wraps off of the PlayStation 5 in June. I get wanting to know more about the UI, but again, why would people think it'd be anything less than an improvement over the XMB from the PS3, and the PS4's more polished iteration on that? I really don't understand the concern and handwringing over this type of stuff.

I know people were hyped for more information and looks, but it's not like Sony was going to go into the launch of the PS5 not saying anything, it was only a matter of when they did it. It wasn't going to be November 11th, and then a massive infodump on things like the UI, games, features, launch titles, etc.

I am so, so glad that I didn't waste 1 iota of energy worrying about things that we were going to inevitably get information as we approached launch. Not to mention that they were dealing with a global pandemic that no doubt had a severe effect on whatever planned rollouts of information, demos, store kiosks, theater trailers, tv spots, etc, etc.

So, again, what was the handwringing and stress really worth in the end, when at the end of the day, all of this information was going to come? And has come, and, of course, the concern and handwringing shifts to other things (folders? really? are we legit worried that the PS5 won't have folders, after it was so useful in the PS4 UI?). From what I can tell, the UI's for each Sony console has never taken a step backwards. Why would the PS5 be any different, especially when the system was designed with developers and ease of use in mind?

I guess I just don't see why things like Sony's "messaging" would be important to anyone but console warriors wanting to have some kind of talking point or counterpoint to whatever the console warriors on the other platform are saying. It's all just so damn childish and unimportant to me. Maybe I'm just finally an old man now, and don't see the point in wasting breath on that sort of stuff.

We still have more UI stuff to come (like it said in the video, they're going to go over the Media tab at some point in the coming weeks before launch), but overall, we know the system. We know it's specs. We've seen the games. We know the launch titles. We know the price. We know the release date. We know what the Dual Sense looks like, and it's feature set. We know how impressive the SSD is. We know some game related features of the UI. We know, we know, we know. Sorry for ranting, but sometimes I think gamers can be the most neurotic people on the planet when it comes to gaming and console launches. I'll say that when I was younger, the discussion among my school friends on the playground was never this...intense. Everyone was just so excited to get their hands on the new games. Even with the PS1 and PS2. I feel like things started to shift hard during the PS3 gen. Then "console wars" became "serious bizness," and many media outlets fed into that hysteria, because it brought clicks and revenue.

And now we've reached the point where we have armchair analysts poring over marketing and messaging like it actually has any relevance to a gamer that's already decided whether or not they're going to go with X machine, or Y machine. I miss just being able to enjoy talking about video games. It's not like the PS5 doesn't have one of the most impressive launch lineups in gaming history or anything...

Nov 8, 2017
Games are going to look bonkers good, they've looked bonkers good for a few years now. It's those extras that I'm more interested in that bring the whole experience together.
Well said. Honestly I've been amazed by how good many games look on the little old PS4 and the PS5 is a monster of a system in comparison. I think much of that new power will go towards making games that much more fun and interesting in ways that I can't imagine right now. This new gen is going to be something special.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
My honest question is, why the fuck does it matter so much how Sony handles their marketing or messaging? Like, does it really, truly have an affect on us, as the consumer and gamer?

Like, the games are why we want these consoles, right? It's not like Sony hasn't been delivering games with each event they've held since taking the wraps off of the PlayStation 5 in June. I get wanting to know more about the UI, but again, why would people think it'd be anything less than an improvement over the XMB from the PS3, and the PS4's more polished iteration on that? I really don't understand the concern and handwringing over this type of stuff.

I know people were hyped for more information and looks, but it's not like Sony was going to go into the launch of the PS5 not saying anything, it was only a matter of when they did it. It wasn't going to be November 11th, and then a massive infodump on things like the UI, games, features, launch titles, etc.

I am so, so glad that I didn't waste 1 iota of energy worrying about things that we were going to inevitably get information as we approached launch. Not to mention that they were dealing with a global pandemic that no doubt had a severe effect on whatever planned rollouts of information, demos, store kiosks, theater trailers, tv spots, etc, etc.

So, again, what was the handwringing and stress really worth in the end, when at the end of the day, all of this information was going to come? And has come, and, of course, the concern and handwringing shifts to other things (folders? really? are we legit worried that the PS5 won't have folders, after it was so useful in the PS4 UI?). From what I can tell, the UI's for each Sony console has never taken a step backwards. Why would the PS5 be any different, especially when the system was designed with developers and ease of use in mind?

I guess I just don't see why things like Sony's "messaging" would be important to anyone but console warriors wanting to have some kind of talking point or counterpoint to whatever the console warriors on the other platform are saying. It's all just so damn childish and unimportant to me. Maybe I'm just finally an old man now, and don't see the point in wasting breath on that sort of stuff.

We still have more UI stuff to come (like it said in the video, they're going to go over the Media tab at some point in the coming weeks before launch), but overall, we know the system. We know it's specs. We've seen the games. We know the launch titles. We know the price. We know the release date. We know what the Dual Sense looks like, and it's feature set. We know how impressive the SSD is. We know some game related features of the UI. We know, we know, we know. Sorry for ranting, but sometimes I think gamers can be the most neurotic people on the planet when it comes to gaming and console launches. I'll say that when I was younger, the discussion among my school friends on the playground was never this...intense. Everyone was just so excited to get their hands on the new games. Even with the PS1 and PS2. I feel like things started to shift hard during the PS3 gen. Then "console wars" became "serious bizness," and many media outlets fed into that hysteria, because it brought clicks and revenue.

And now we've reached the point where we have armchair analysts poring over marketing and messaging like it actually has any relevance to a gamer that's already decided whether or not they're going to go with X machine, or Y machine. I miss just being able to enjoy talking about video games. It's not like the PS5 doesn't have one of the most impressive launch lineups in gaming history or anything...
Honestly I'm seeing more people realize they actually like the surprises. sure some would love to digest all the info months in advance but honestly being this close to launch with a ton of stuff that will be surprises is honestly pretty great. Imagine knowing all this stuff months ago and you are just waiting in agony. I'm getting a lot of rushes and crazy hype with stuff so close and things to reveal.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017

I can see why BC frustrated people. If you've been supporting the PS4 ecosystem this whole gen, BC is really important. But it's clear Sony was waiting until they had a close to accurate list of games that outright wouldn't work on PS4. Because if they said somethign like 99% work, people on here would try to exaggerate it and make it sound worse. But still, until we got that list, it was goign to be frustrating for people who wanted that confirmation that most games would be BC.

UI i agree, as long as we get it before the PS5 is out, I don't see hte big deal.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
It is pretty obvious that there was a section of people who wanted PlayStation to make major mistakes in the run up to launch, fortunately for PlayStation fans they have violently volleyed away any fears, uncertaintity, doubts and concerns. Now we can concentrate on the games.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any app recommendation? I used the Google app for a while but I saw people saying that there are better ones.
I ditched Google Authenticator for Authy around a year ago and I highly recommend it. You can use it in more than one device and even in a browser.

This isn't something new. You could save party chat audio on PS4 as well, and even opt out if you don't want your voice to be captured by other people in the party.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
It is pretty obvious that there was a section of people who wanted PlayStation to make major mistakes in the run up to launch, fortunately for PlayStation fans they have violently volleyed away any fears, uncertaintity, doubts and concerns. Now we can concentrate on the games.
Yeah, all in all Sony's BC isn't much different than MS's. MS's is still better in terms of games getting an upgrade, but I wouldn't say it's significant. And UI is even better than PS4's, which was already pretty great and the best UI for a console imo.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Something quirky and nice I like about the Sackboy UI is how the UI elements are hanging from a string like they're physical objects in front of the player. Just looks nice and cozy.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Honestly I'm seeing more people realize they actually like the surprises. sure some would love to digest all the info months in advance but honestly being this close to launch with a ton of stuff that will be surprises is honestly pretty great. Imagine knowing all this stuff months ago and you are just waiting in agony. I'm getting a lot of rushes and crazy hype with stuff so close and things to reveal.

I actually think the later than usual rollout of information has made the wait for the machine just a tiny bit easier for me. Like, imagine if we knew all of this stuff in March? lol. The wait to November would have been excruciatingly long. Knowing that we had this amazing machine, capable of doing all of these pretty excellent things, and it was 8 months away. We're less than 30 days away. It's pretty awesome. I mean, the wait is still painful, but less so, knowing that it's so close.

I can see why BC frustrated people. If you've been supporting the PS4 ecosystem this whole gen, BC is really important. But it's clear Sony was waiting until they had a close to accurate list of games that outright wouldn't work on PS4. Because if they said somethign like 99% work, people on here would try to exaggerate it and make it sound worse. But still, until we got that list, it was goign to be frustrating for people who wanted that confirmation that most games would be BC.

UI i agree, as long as we get it before the PS5 is out, I don't see hte big deal.

To be honest, I don't even get being frustrated with the lack of BC info. Cerny said in March that the PS5 would be backwards compatible with the PS4 library. He further stated that they had tested the top 100 PS4 titles to ensure compatibility, and were actively testing the remaining 3900 games. I mean, what else really needed to be said at that point? What was there to be frustrated or concerned about? Logic dictates that Sony is painfully aware at how important the PS4 ecosystem is to the 113 million people that purchased a PS4. Thinking about it logically, and like a business, why in the heck would they ever fuck that userbase over, especially considering how much digital sales have taken off during this console generation, on the new machine? Like, it literally makes no sense to do that. People were just so damn reactionary, and didn't want to pause, take a breath, and really think about it logically. It's not like Sony is new to business. They've built a multi-billion dollar corporation around the gaming industry. I think they'd have considered the long term ramifications of shutting out the millions of PS4 gamers that have invested thousands of dollars into the PS4, and maybe still want to make money off of upcoming PS4 releases while the PS5 is finding its install base. Cerny's talk in March really didn't raise any kind of red flags for me when it came to BC on the PS5. I rewatched that talk recently, and I was actually surprised at how forthcoming he was about many facets of the system, that they eventually showcased during the June and September events, and the weeks after.

Speaking of PS4 BC, I'm wondering if perhaps the top 100 PS4 titles they tested early on may be some of the few select PS4 titles that will be able to take advantage of some of the neater PS5 features like the cards feature. Since those are the "cream of the crop" of PS4 titles, and many players who may be new to the PS5 may not have experienced those games, it'd be kind of cool if they supported that. Especially the titles in the PS+ Collection. It would be cool if those 18 games supported the cards/tracking feature.

I know people like to think that these executives are somehow perpetually dropping the ball, because they aren't adhering to our timetable dictated by thirst for more news, but they aren't going to try and piss off their massive userbase by not being forward thinking when it comes to designing their newest consoles. I wouldn't be surprised if they've already begun work on sketching out the potential design for the PS6 already. They don't just throw shit together two years before launch, and pray that it all comes together. At this point, Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo are well-oiled machines when it comes to making hardware.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Yep it's pretty clear why Sony rolled things out the way they did when PS4 is still selling out as fast as they can ship it. And a PS5 teardown videos gets almost 5m views in a couple days. And a UX video does that in almost one day.
Yup.

And now we've just got the last leg of waiting to go before launch. I'd be dying if we were still so far away lol.

Aug 12, 2019
I really hope people are right about that Killzone avatar and name being a hint that Guerilla Games is working on another Killzone game. I liked Shadow Fall better than most I think (certainly part of it was being blown away with it as my premiere launch game), but I also acknowledge it had a lot of issues and I'd love to see what they do with the series moving forward.

nss

Apr 10, 2018
Well said. I keep repeating it but PS5 really seems like a checklist response to like 15 years of console HD gaming gripes we've all had.

Very much so.

I'm personally more excited about the DualSense and Audio capabilities of the new system than I am of the 10.3TF's it has. 😂 Stuff like that and a PSVR2 in the future are a more immersive experience than pushing more pixels to me.

UI was the last step of that showcase, I'm happy with what I saw. 👍

I share that my most hyped aspect of next gen is actually the DualSense and the various ways it could be used by devs. I have managed to hold off on PSVR this gen, but have every expectation of jumping in with the PSVR2.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Nothing wrong with its functionality, until you have to switch phones and you have to manually re apply/update 2FA across multiple services and logins.

There's a QR code generator to aid the transfer though. But I understand it won't do you any good when dealing with an unexpected event such as losing your phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.