• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
Man, the Activity cards are such a great idea. Really wish they were around when I got super into Sniper Elite 4 this year and started replaying levels to pick up secrets and bonuses. would have been handy to have a nice frictionless progression/task list right in front of me with hints if I needed it.

(Also, Sackboy does it but I hope other devs using the hint system actually do progressive hints. (e.g. Hint one: "the thingy isn't at ground level", Hint two: "check the rooftops", Hint three: "look buddy, it's on THIS roof and here's a walkthrough video")

(Also also: pleasantly surprised we're not getting a bunch of HINTS BEHIND THE PS+ PAYWALL? SONY GOING ALL PAY TO WIN!!! discourse)

The Cameo

Apr 26, 2018
I hope the PS5 is getting a better Youtube app. God, I hate the Youtube apps on mobile phones and consoles. They're all trash and miss features.

I would imagine Google will bring consoles up to the current Google TV UI, which is pretty much the same when it comes to picking videos but looks a little nicer while the player itself is vastly improved from a UX experience in that it surfaces just the channel icon, the CC icon, and - thank god - the resolution icon above the playback bar, with everything else hidden behind the "more" icon to the left of the three important ones. Much more minimalist, much easier to work with.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would imagine Google will bring consoles up to the current Google TV UI, which is pretty much the same when it comes to picking videos but looks a little nicer while the player itself is vastly improved from a UX experience in that it surfaces just the channel icon, the CC icon, and - thank god - the resolution icon above the playback bar, with everything else hidden behind the "more" icon to the left of the three important ones. Much more minimalist, much easier to work with.
One of the things I hate the most: The missing "resolution button". Yeah, make it easier to work with. Hope Google can finally make a good app for consoles.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I pretty much never leave my Pro on standby, did it once and forgot I had a game resume, pulled the plug because of an incoming thunderstorm, d'oh!

The next day my Pro had to rebuild the library and it bricked one or two games I had to delete and reinstall.

The suspend resume feature from series x is cool, because you can just turn off the console and it saves some energy.

But the only thing I'd really wish for was a possibility to boot up my PS5, choose a save file from Demon's Souls and directly boot into that. Thanks to the SSD it would only take a couple of seconds longer than suspend resume and it wouldn't waste 10s of gigabytes for that feature.
I'm hoping you can put save files as one (or many) of the activity cards, and you can just select them and play right away.

The Cameo

Apr 26, 2018
One of the things I hate the most: The missing "resolution button". Yeah, make it easier to work with. Hope Google can finally make a good app for consoles.

Actually, correction, the lineup goes "Channel, CC, More" but now you click more and it's directly on the resolution button. Which is weird because last week I swear it was the way I described, lol. Oh, Google.

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
Is that a novel thing? Xbone X/pro didn't have that?

John Linneman from DF said that neither XB1X or XBSX has a 4K-rendered UI overlay (Typefaces and images are rendered at 1080p). Surprised me too.

(to be fair, the PS4 Pro's 4K UI often dropped down to 1080p depending on what application was active)

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually, correction, the lineup goes "Channel, CC, More" but now you click more and it's directly on the resolution button. Which is weird because last week I swear it was the way I described, lol. Oh, Google.
Yeah, they updated some stuff lately. Looks like they added new shit to the desktop YT page, too. Now I see some shit like "Apple, Podcasts, etc." icons on top of the page. Hate it.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
This is even more niche than the having 7 games ready to go thing then. At least for me. My console is usually in rest mode (for updates and whatnot), and if getting right into the action was such a priority I don't see how much more strenuous putting it in rest mode is when compared to turning it off. I'm of course speaking from my perspective.

I appreciate that there's people that probably wanted this really bad, for their own reasons.
When you live in a country with constant power outages leaving the console on rest mode all the time is possible xD. In your case if not something that you'll need or miss much but to me the idea of being on a difficult level and changing to another game or turning off the console without losing any progress sounds pretty neat.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate that there's people that probably wanted this really bad, for their own reasons

For example, If PS4 could have quick resume as work in Xbox Series X|S, I would be playing RE3 (I know the game has automatic saves but they only trigger in certain monents), changing to Tony Hawk, later to Persona 5 (where saves are limited during dungeon explorations) and finally returning to RE3.

If the PS5 have a quick resume system and if you consider the feature to go certain places of the game directly, both features would be quite amazing experience. It would be even better If you can have a have matching tools in the background for multiplayer games and they be working while you play other games, and when a match can be initiated "stop" the game (thanks to quick resume) and go fast to the match, returning later to the other game until another match can be initiated.

The Cameo

Apr 26, 2018
No, I didn't notice. Is it the shadows? I haven't seen ray-tracing in person yet, so I can't tell what's screen space reflection & what's ray-tracing.

There's accurate (and wildly goofy looking because of how rounded the surfac is) reflections in the bubbles, is what I assume is being referenced here.

Yeah, they updated some stuff lately. Looks like they added new shit to the desktop YT page, too. Now I see some shit like "Apple, Podcasts, etc." icons on top of the page. Hate it.

At this point I have so many annoying pieces of YouTube adblocked on desktop I never know how bad things are unless I load up an incognito window for whatever reason.

I just hope the sheer endless amount of ads goes down once election season is over, every time I use the Apple TV or just my regular TV's app it's like "oh god" because it's almost every single video click I make

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
and so the cycle of hype begins anew

(as we all knew would happen, as soon as they showed the UI people were already clamoring for the next thing lol)

they've got a good potential roadmap ahead of them. 1 State of Play like this each week before launch would be great.

Some of my ex colleagues made this, looks really fun!

please tell them it's adorable. the style is really solidly executed.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's accurate (and wildly goofy looking because of how rounded the surfac is) reflections in the bubbles, is what I assume is being referenced here.

At this point I have so many annoying pieces of YouTube adblocked on desktop I never know how bad things are unless I load up an incognito window for whatever reason.

I just hope the sheer endless amount of ads goes down once election season is over, every time I use the Apple TV or just my regular TV's app it's like "oh god" because it's almost every single video click I make
I use uBlock Origin on Youtube and I still see that weird thing on top of the page now. It's part of the YT UI as it looks like. Hate it.

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looking at this again, I could see PS5 games completely eschewing designing in-game menus and instead just having a whole bunch of metadata driven activity cards.
There are other benefits too
eg. if photo mode is baked into the OS/UI of the system then each developer doesn't need to waste hours of dev time re-implementing their own version of it.

I can see certain game devs using the activity cards to troll players with "incorrect" hints, making a metagame within the activity cards (going through activity cards in certain order unlocks a hidden set of activities etc.)

There is *so much scope* for interesting interactions here and potentially slimming down game sizes and making game dev easier / less work.

The more I think about it the more ideas I have.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
No, I didn't notice. Is it the shadows? I haven't seen ray-tracing in person yet, so I can't tell what's screen space reflection & what's ray-tracing.

The bubbles have ray traced reflection. Watch it at 0.25 speed and you can see the reflections. Especially Sack Boy reflection on the last three.
Overall, every bubble have RT reflection. It is more obvious 5 seconds later on the bubbles above.

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
Man Cyberpunk isn't looking too hot to me I thought I would be excited for it by now but it's just not showing well

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man Cyberpunk isn't looking too hot to me I thought I would be excited for it by now but it's just not showing well
It never looked hot to me. All went downhill for me after I realized it's first-person-only. Then seeing the gameplay and it's.... okay-ish. Combat looks awful. Don't like it. Looks boring. Will never buy/play it.

OneEyedJuliet

Jan 20, 2020
Imagine you're playing Bloodborne and are stuck with that one boss, you pull the card to look for help and tips, and all you get is a black screen with the words "GIT GUD" on it 🤣

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

The bubbles have ray traced reflection. Watch it at 0.25 speed and you can see the reflections. Especially Sack Boy reflection on the last three.
Overall, every bubble have RT reflection. It is more obvious 5 seconds later on the bubbles above.

Oh shit it does have raytracing
Yeah I'm not buying anytime soon.

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
It never looked hot to me. All went downhill for me after I realized it's first-person-only. Then seeing the gameplay and it's.... okay-ish. Combat looks awwful. Don't like it. Looks boring. Will never buy/play it.
Right!? I was trying to force myself to like it because it's the next BIG game plus i loved the Witcher 3

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ekyl9i8x0aeminw8djid.png
Nice. Sony will ship the PS5 accessories earlier. Like they did for the PS4. I had the DualShock 4 controller weeks before the PS4 launch. Pretty cool. Soon I can finally hold the DualSense controller ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.