• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I was expecting a much more detailed look at the UI and system menus.

It's all pre-recorded, so that "out of time" line at the end was hella odd.

Hopefully we'll see more UI vids in the near future.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
Because it's not about the competitor? It's just a video showcasing what they feel is important. It's also just a first look. Not everything has to be a tug of war.
It's more than likely a combination of the two, but my point still stands. People automatically assuming that any UI feature not demonstrated in a 10 minute reveal video in which they promised to show more later doesn't exist is patently ridiculous.

Edit: Also, I guarantee that if Sony had shown some type of quick resume in their video, the exact same people complaining about its absence now would be complaining that Sony chose to waste time in a 10 minute reveal video talking about a feature MS had already announced.

bbg_g

Jun 21, 2020
Does kind of feel that this how Quick Resume fiasco is yet another difference between MS and Sony's marketing styles. MS seems to like marketing every Feature as a FEATURE™. Smart Delivery, Quick Resume, All Access etc, everything is a Big Deal. A lot of snappy names. Sony just seems to be like "Well, yeah, if devs want to give you free upgrades that's cool, why are you asking us though?", "I mean, like, sure you can suspend multiple games, it's not really that big a deal though compared to the features we have that actually take effort to implement" and "Wait, don't stores already let you buy stuff on credit already?".
Clearly the Microsoft style works for a lot of people since it's clear and to the point. I don't really have a preference, but I can sort of vibe with Sony's NBD approach.

This is exactly it. It's different marketing strategies. You don't continue being a market leader by being reactionary to everything your competitor is doing. It's better to focus on your own product's unique features that haven't been talked about by other competitors lol. People just don't understand that.

Also man the UI reveal just has me so much more hyped for Sackboy. Launch purchase for me 100%.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Right. People are talking about right where you left off where now your games are literally like books with tons of chapters you can hop right into or challenges you are completing. missing the forest amongst the trees

Yeah that looks like its a stacked card.

I hadn't even thought about things like side-missions and quest logs. Seeing progress and even maybe having the ability to warp to a place in the map straight from the home screen is freaking mind-blowing. No wonder DF is saying it's a game changer.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I thought they showed like progress for each individual trophy
They did and that's new on PS.
I wonder what these icons means. Play time? Quick Resume? 🤔

TwJ0gGs.jpg
Looks like the pre-order logo.
Not sure why the UI thread is so negative - this is fucking fantastic. Nice job, Sony!
I really dig the UI aswell. Some really smart choices with these cards and I like how much space there is for a nice looking wallpaper in the home menu.
Console warring is heavily moderated so people resort to concern trolling, pretending to be disappointed fans from the other side.
Or you know... Some just have different opinions about a 100% subjective matter.
Hmm, I wonder what "we have more to show on the UI in the coming weeks" means. 🤔🤔🤔
The PS store should be the big One.
And finally we have individual trophy progression tracking!
avgip0q.png
One of the best features of the Xbox UI and it's finally here. I like that :)

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I hadn't even thought about things like side-missions and quest logs. Seeing progress and even maybe having the ability to warp to a place in the map straight from the home screen is freaking mind-blowing. No wonder DF is saying it's a game changer.
Yup All your logs are now exposed. That's the game changer. Im betting there are multiple save states for the activities so you jump in and out wherever you want And now the games now can become less about just long play throughs when you dont have time. It's total respect of your time and gives you diff things to go and accomplish.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
So I can have a card that takes me right into Ranked Tekken 8 match mode? Or a card that takes me right into the start screen of my next GT8 license test?

I can browse through what I have available to do and sidequests open in a game without actually booting the game up?

Game. Changer. Literally.

And we have peeps talking about silly quick resume lol.
That's the idea. If devs properly implement it... yeah, it really is a game changer.

Eden-prime

May 21, 2020
Does kind of feel that this how Quick Resume fiasco is yet another difference between MS and Sony's marketing styles. MS seems to like marketing every Feature as a FEATURE™. Smart Delivery, Quick Resume, All Access etc, everything is a Big Deal. A lot of snappy names. Sony just seems to be like "Well, yeah, if devs want to give you free upgrades that's cool, why are you asking us though?", "I mean, like, sure you can suspend multiple games, it's not really that big a deal though compared to the features we have that actually take effort to implement" and "Wait, don't stores already let you buy stuff on credit already?".
Clearly the Microsoft style works for a lot of people since it's clear and to the point. I don't really have a preference, but I can sort of vibe with Sony's NBD approach.

I certainly like how MS makes an obvious case for people who are not aware of these things. It's welcoming for sure. But of course these buzzwords are not to be considered features but more of a mandatory.

don't embed tweets by Tidux here.

I just want to show a pic in this tweet. Not intended to promote him or anything lol

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Nobody even noticed that the current game you are playing. is playing in the background, when you are in the UI.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
I'm not sure what the Switcher is going to be.
Like, it only shows your current-game.
tonw3GC.png
Whats surprising is that there is no symbol beneath the game tiles on home screen to show the game is already running. On PS4 a small rotating semi circle appears but its not in the PS5 home screen.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
The UI demo is a generational leap in features, performance and capabilities. There are so many elements to be excited for. What was shown is a great foundation for future upgrades as well. The PiP may integrate with the PS Camera in the future and allow video chat, for example.

Overall, the UI exceeded my expectations. I was expecting the UI to remain clean, but better performing. Check. The activities, PiP, friends features like joining games from parties are all incredible additions to user experience.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
Oddly, I really like that they made the icons on the home screen much smaller. The PS4's chunky UI feels like it has a lot of wasted space being taken up by unnecessarily gigantic tiles.

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
This was so good. The activities, picture-and-picture help and share gaming. It looks clean, fast, responsive.

It's fantastic.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I realized in the UI video, Sid's friend was playing The Lost Legacy.

Was that indirectly the first official snippet of BC game being played on PS5?

Rick44-4

Oct 8, 2020
I've lurked here for a long time and the negativity on this forum, especially during this next gen console period has just been a bit over the top to be honest, people getting heated over frankly quite inconsequential things.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Oddly, I really like that they made the icons on the home screen much smaller. The PS4's chunky UI feels like it has a lot of wasted space being taken up by unnecessarily gigantic tiles.

It's basically an alternative school of thought between the two. Some UIs try to maximize screen space usability, others try to prioritize negative space. This new one seems to be more the latter than the former.

I'm not a huge fan of having tons of unoccupied space on screen, but this does seem like it'll make it easier for custom themes to work?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
What? This isn't the thread for such discussion, so I leave it at smart Delivery isn't a buzzword. There's backend stuff going on and let's stop trying to say Sony never uses words (how I call it) to market stuff.
Yup All your logs are now exposed. That's the game changer. Im betting there are multiple save states for the activities so you jump in and out wherever you want And now the games now can become less about just long play throughs when you dont have time. It's total respect of your time and gives you diff things to go and accomplish.
I think having multiple save states in one game for different activities would be a fast way to get your storage full. Whether PS has something like quick resume or not remains to be seen. But I think their activities work differently and don't save any states. They are basically shortcuts to level 4 of Crash bandicoot. Which is smart in a different way. It certainly won't take up any space, because it's not a save state.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
What? This isn't the thread for such discussion, so I leave it at smart Delivery isn't a buzzword. There's backend stuff going on and let's stop trying to say Sony never uses words (how I call it) to market stuff.
I think having multiple save states in one game for different activities would be a fast way to get your storage full. Whether PS has something like quick resume or not remains to be seen. But I think there activities work differently and don't save any states. They are basically shortcuts to level 4 of Crash bandicoot. Which is smart in a different way. It certainly wouldn't take up any space, because it's not a save state.
you dont know the size of the game states though, also if they are utilizing the cloud for the saves its a quick download Or its a simple shortcut of certain game attributes which would be just a list of info. We will see more soon but if you look at the video again you can see where you can press square on Destruction all stars and it says resume.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Still thinking about application of the cards stuff in long form traditional single player games.

I guess it can be a tracker about percent completion of sidequests such as showing how many of a certain item you need. Clicking into the card will be similar to selecting the quest from a menu and marking it as your current primary objective.

Maybe you can pin a certain quest on your questboard and a card is created for it.

Of course reloading saves should also be there in the cards. One for the most recent autosave and one (or more) for manual saves. Something like that.

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I wonder if Sid is playing games's demo because you can see there is a price in order to access to the full game. And the trophies you got can be transferred in the full game?

LZI1hsg.png

OhTt0gJ.png

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
With games cold booting in less than 8 seconds i don't give a damn about quick resume but for the people who care i hope sony don't let you down. These new UI features are absolutely amazing hopefully devs fully utilise them, I wasn't expecting much but came away completely blown away this truly is a new generation

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
you dont know the size of the game states though, also if they are utilizing the cloud for the saves its a quick download Or its a simple shortcut of certain game attributes which would be just a list of info. We will see more soon but if you look at the video again you can see where you can press square on Destruction all stars and it says resume.
The size of the save state would be the size of the RAM pool. Having multiple save states for one game is a bad idea and shortcuts are smarter here. That doesn't mean quick resume doesn't have it's benefit and it doesn't mean PS5 won't have something like quick resume. We just don't know yet. All I am saying is that multiple save states for one game, depending on the activities would be a major waste of space.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
I think having multiple save states in one game for different activities would be a fast way to get your storage full. Whether PS has something like quick resume or not remains to be seen. But I think there activities work differently and don't save any states. They are basically shortcuts to level 4 of Crash bandicoot. Which is smart in a different way. It certainly wouldn't take up any space, because it's not a save state.
I never called Smart Delivery a buzzword? I think you may have misunderstood the tone of my post.

bbg_g

Jun 21, 2020
I'm not a huge fan of having tons of unoccupied space on screen, but this does seem like it'll make it easier for custom themes to work?

When designing interfaces it's best practice to have a lot of negative space. You need that space that can help scale and maybe stack elements according to the different resolutions especially since this was designed for 4K. How do you fit all that same information into a screen with 1080p or even 720p? That's almost 4x less the amount of pixels and space to work with to convey the same information and functionality.

gflo

Oct 27, 2017
jersey
Looks pretty good and just like the PS4, Sony will probably start adding more features to it once it gets mass appeal feedback.

Guess that takes care of today's drop - which means more shadow State of the Play drops in the upcoming weeks for Godfall, Demon's Souls, Destruction All-Stars, more info on Create button, the UI customize icon, BC with the PS+ Collection games

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Yeah, I don't see myself really using those cards for a ton of stuff but for like...comfort food games that I want to just pick up and play for a bit? Like, I just occasionally boot up THPS 1+2 and do a couple of runs on a course I like on a whim. If I could just hit a card and it booted directly up to that and skipped all the menus? Fantastic.
I see myself using the hell out of the cards. Like just think about it. You are playing GOW2, you have 4 side quests available to do, I don't have to boot up the game, load my last save, and pick a side quest... I can just pick the sidequest from the game control center and it takes me right to where my last save was with the side quest marker loaded already.

Now think about Racing games, fighting games...etc.This is basically what the cards system is about. Why boot up a game and go through menus when the shortcuts to where you want to go can be integrated into the system and the SSD means you get right to where you want to be as fast as possible.
The new features are amazing but quick resume isn't silly for the same reason suspending and resume just one game isn't silly.
Don'tgetme wrong, I don't think quick resume is silly...I think its a feature that is obviously in the PS5. And that people are silly to think its not. Especially after seeing the cards thing. What they have shown is the equivalent of a quick resume on steroids. If they can have you jumping in and out of different parts/modes of different games, then obviously a quick resume is a given and child play in comparison.

Darkkahn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Sid is playing games's demo because you can see there is a price in order to access to the full game. And the trophies you got can be transferred in the full game?

LZI1hsg.png

OhTt0gJ.png
I believe this happens when you're playing a disc version of the game, basically it's giving you the option to also purchase the game digitally.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
The size of the save state would be the size of the RAM pool. Having multiple save states for one game is a bad idea and shortcuts are smarter here. That doesn't mean quick resume doesn't have it's benefit and it doesn't mean PS5 won't have something like quick resume. We just don't know yet. All I am saying is that multiple save states for one game, depending on the activities would be a major waste of space.
Not really, it does not need to use ram If you have certain things to remember. You could literally think of resume here as looking at that activity and just saving the players position(coordinates)in the game and since the console can load fast you can load all the attributes of the player in that moment in time. It does not need to be a ram dump.

MikeSan

Oct 27, 2017
Liège, Belgium
I don't really like the whole "Activity" thing, if I want to see which trophies I'm missing, I'll go to see in the trophy tab.

Globally, I'm not a big fan of this new UI, and they haven't shown the PS Store that is the worst part of the PS4 User Experience right now...

MongKey

Oct 29, 2017
So I can have a card that takes me right into Ranked Tekken 8 match mode? Or a card that takes me right into the start screen of my next GT8 license test?

I can browse through what I have available to do and sidequests open in a game without actually booting the game up?

Game. Changer. Literally.

And we have peeps talking about silly quick resume lol.
Speaking of side quest, I imagine we now don't have to worry about missables anymore. Since we can pop open the control panel and see what side quests are available at that point in time. They might also be able to make it area specific. If there's a hidden one then we can start searching for it or just look at the built in guide. My OCD dreams come true lol.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
It's kinda funny that on the UI thread some people find it busy while others too empty. It's also interesting that the narrative has magically shifted to "PS5 doesn't have Quick resume". At least we are now done with the "PS5 has no UI" narrative...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
When designing interfaces it's best practice to have a lot of negative space. You need that space that can help scale and maybe stack elements according to the different resolutions especially since this was designed for 4K. How do you fit all that same information into a screen with 1080p or even 720p? That's almost 4x less the amount of pixels and space to work with to convey the same information and functionality.

Yeah, UI scaling having to account for TVs like mine makes sense. Because fuck buying a 4K TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.