• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
I would consider spreading wings on PC to expand PlayStation's market: either Epic or CD Projekt. They are not gonna get much money out of PC players who might be interested only in a couple exclusives by Sony and selling them a console at loss.

Buying CD Projekt you would get Witcher and Cyberpunk and a storefront to sell PC games. Put God of War, The Last of Us and other exclusives there. Witcher and Cyberpunk and whatever they make in the future would be huge gets for a platform available on PC & PS5.

Buying Epic you would get Fornite, Unreal Engine and EGS. This is the more expensive option and they would have to keep Fortnite on all platforms but at least it's a huge money maker. Their storefront is way more popular than GOG I think? Unreal Engine licenses would give them a lot of money in the future as the entertainment business is adopting it. Again put PS exclusives there and PC players will be happy Sony buying it - no need for consoles. And Sony should end that silly Apple vs Epic battle by following App Store rules, everyone's happy lol. Bring PlayStation characters to Fortnite on all platforms as well to raise the brand awareness.

I think Epic has more opportunity for growth in the long term and it's not reliant only on video games. But they are really expensive, nearly 20 billion or something like that probably.

Crazy coffee break thoughts lol
I don't think they've enough money to acquire any of them, tbh.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
You don't think Sony is in danger of getting cut off from major multiplats?

Didn't they just lose out on AAA Bethesda IPs overnight? Not to mention MS saying they'll continue to acquire more.
To be fair, that means like, 1 or 2 less Bethesda RPGs in the span of 6-7 years. Those are huge sellers so it'll affect Sony, but ultimately it's JUST one or two games that Sony doesn't get for PS5. Xbox has previously had big exclusive RPGs like KOTOR, Morrowind & Jade Empire and they fared just fine. Otherwise, a lot of Zenimax's other releases are not necessarily going to sway the needle in any kind of catastrophic way. Big losses for the relatively few who are fans of those games, but ultimately I'm not sure how much the loss of a potential Dishonored 3/Prey 2/Wolfenstein Reboot 3/Rage 3 (or new IPs from those studios) will affect Sony in the eyes of consumers who didn't show up in all that large quantities to buy the previous installments of those franchise or previous games from those studios. Of course new IPs could be bigger hits but they are also risky & far from guaranteed.

vegtro

Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly what I've said. They don't need new studios RIGHT NOW, but in the future, yes, of course. But they've 2020 and 2021 fully packed so I don't think it's an emergency for them to acquire right now. But for 2022 and later, they'll have to do something, of course.
You do know games takes a few years to process. So Sony should wait to 2022 while MS is probably going to have AAA games almost every couple of months? Time is everything for these companies. The longer you are invested into it, the more money you spend within their ecosystem.

Jan 20, 2019
That's exactly what I've said. They don't need new studios RIGHT NOW, but in the future, yes, of course. But they've 2020 and 2021 fully packed so I don't think it's an emergency for them to acquire right now. But for 2022 and later, they'll have to do something, of course.

The thing is, when it comes to 2021/2022 they are safe, they already invested on that content.
But for 2023 , they need to buy the studios now and not in 2022.

The main problem is not actualy Microsoft, even tough is a scary one, is what other publishers might do, what EA, Activison or Take2 will do or even companys like Google or Amazon.

So in reality, they are competing against multiple companys, they should take advantage of their current market position the same way they did with the timed exclusives and i believe they will.

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
You do know games takes a few years to process. So Sony should wait to 2022 while MS is probably going to have AAA games almost every couple of months? Time is everything for these companies. The longer you are invested into it, the more money you spend within their ecosystem.
That's the point of PlayStation Studios. They didn't acquire BluePoint, Sumo, Lucid and Housemarque but they're still developping exclusive games for them. Maybe at some time they will be acquired, don't know so far but they don't need to buy everyone to make them develop games for them.

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
The thing is, when it comes to 2021/2022 they are safe, they already invested on that content.
But for 2023 , they need to buy the studios now and not in 2022.

The main problem is not actualy Microsoft, even tough is a scary one, is what other publishers might do, what EA, Activison or Take2 will do or even companys like Google or Amazon.

So in reality, they are competing against multiple companys, they should take advantage of their current market position the same way they did with the timed exclusives and i believe they will.
I'm not afraid for 2023. They have PlayStation Studios ready, first and second party. By 2023, I'm assuming we would get Bend new game, ND new game, KJP new game, Sucker Punch new game. All of these will be AAA (well, I think), so they've alternatives, they're not fucked.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Sony say that they want to release more games than this gen? Making the PS5 easier to develop for is step 1. But they also need more (or bigger) studios for that. Interesting times ahead, that's for sure.

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
People have said Sony has over 30 billion in cash but it's not necessary to use only cash to buy a company. Matt seems to think not even Take-Two would be too big for Sony if Sony really wants it and sees it's worth it.

That is absolutely correct. The question is if Sony wants to do it and if Take Two shareholders will accept the premium price. Let's not forget that large chunks of the payment is in stocks and others, not only cash. An example is Nvidia's acquisition of ARM, where they paid only 12 bn in cash (from 40 bn total).

Sony doesn't have Microsoft's capabilities, but is still a rich and healthy company, that can afford big acquisitions.

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would consider spreading wings on PC to expand PlayStation's market: either Epic or CD Projekt. They are not gonna get much money out of PC players who might be interested only in a couple exclusives by Sony and selling them a console at loss.

Buying CD Projekt you would get Witcher and Cyberpunk and a storefront to sell PC games. Put God of War, The Last of Us and other exclusives there. Witcher and Cyberpunk and whatever they make in the future would be huge gets for a platform available on PC & PS5.

Buying Epic you would get Fornite, Unreal Engine and EGS. This is the more expensive option and they would have to keep Fortnite on all platforms but at least it's a huge money maker. Their storefront is way more popular than GOG I think? Unreal Engine licenses would give them a lot of money in the future as the entertainment business is adopting it. Again put PS exclusives there and PC players will be happy Sony buying it - no need for consoles. And Sony should end that silly Apple vs Epic battle by following App Store rules, everyone's happy lol. Bring PlayStation characters to Fortnite on all platforms as well to raise the brand awareness.

I think Epic has more opportunity for growth in the long term and it's not reliant only on video games. But they are really expensive, nearly 20 billion or something like that probably.

Crazy coffee break thoughts lol
Tencent aren't gonna sell Epic.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
People have said Sony has over 30 billion in cash but it's not necessary to use only cash to buy a company. Matt seems to think not even Take-Two would be too big for Sony if Sony really wants it and sees it's worth it.
Just because they have an X amount in cash it doesn't mean it's a worthy buy. Sony can't justify paying multiple times the Game division's profits over a whole generation to buy one publisher.

In theory, MS could buy Sony if they really wanted to.

Oct 25, 2017
Just because they have an X amount in cash it doesn't mean it's a worthy buy. Sony can't justify paying multiple times the Game division's profits over a whole generation to buy one publisher.

In theory, MS could buy Sony if they really wanted to.
I wasn't suggesting Take-Two. KatharsisT said Sony can't afford to buy huge companies but it doesn't seem to be the case.

It's all about where Sony wants their business to go and where they see enough growth.

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
Imo, Sony prefer to acquire little talented studios like Emberlab, BluePoint, Housemarque, Asobo, Arrowhead rather than big publishers directly.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know they had that amount of money, tbh. But I don't think they wanna spend 10+ billions on the market like that.
It is very risky to spend that kind of money, but there are some challenging times ahead and companies need to make smart decisions where they see the business going. PlayStation itself was a risky bet when they decided to create that business.

I'm not saying that buying CD Projekt or Epic is a smart decision since those were just suggestions, but I do think Sony needs to seriously consider where do they see video games business to be in 10 years.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Why does everyone panic? Didn't Bethesda mention, that Starfield will release prior to Elder Scrolls 6 and that even Starfield is still far away? That probably means, that Starfield won't be released before 2022 earliest and the next Elder Scrolls maybe in 2023? and it's still possible that we will see both on PS5, maybe with a delay of 6-12 month? Aside from that, if you really want those games and if MS actually decides to not offer those games on PS5 at all (still not sure about that, it's some nice extra money and MS usually doesn't care on which system people play "their" games) you can still buy a gaming PC or Xbox Series S or X depending on how much you like to spend. In 2-3 years the system is most likely cheaper already, especially if you consider price drops for the Xbox One (X) in the past.

Worst case you have to dish out like 200 or so for an additional system in 2-3 years, if you really want those games, I mean I could live with that? I might buy the Series X in 1-3 years anyway, just to enjoy Forza and stuff again.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
I secretly wouldn't mind if Sony and Apple had a merger. Imagine if they had Apple warchest to take on Microsoft 👀
Yeesh, I certainly would. I've avoided being sucked into Apple's ecosystem for decades, and I'll be damned if that stops now.As shitty a company as they are, I'd rather Amazon spend the big bucks than Apple. This is all ridiculous anyway since Japanese law would never let something like that happen.

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
Imo, Sony prefer to acquire little talented studios like Emberlab, BluePoint, Housemarque, Asobo, Arrowhead rather than big publishers directly.

Didn't Matt hinted that Sony is negotiating with third party studios? He also said that Zenimax deal was not a surprise, so probably Sony was aware for months. Strategy could always change, especially when there is a threat. And i still think that Yoshida/Ryan are more tuned to acquisitions.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
That feeling when people are talking about acquisitions but all you want to see is the UI of the PS5

Jan 20, 2019
Didn't Matt hinted that Sony is negotiating with third party studios? He also said that Zenimax deal was not a surprise, so probably Sony was aware for months. Strategy could always change, especially when there is a threat. And i still think that Yoshida/Ryan are more tuned to acquisitions.

I dont think he did, i think he said that is a open market for publishers, it can mean anything really.

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why does everyone panic? Didn't Bethesda mention, that Starfield will release prior to Elder Scrolls 6 and that even Starfield is still far away? That probably means, that Starfield won't be released before 2022 earliest and the next Elder Scrolls maybe in 2023? and it's still possible that we will see both on PS5, maybe with a delay of 6-12 month? Aside from that, if you really want those games and if MS actually decides to not offer those games on PS5 at all (still not sure about that, it's some nice extra money and MS usually doesn't care on which system people play "their" games) you can still buy a gaming PC or Xbox Series S or X depending on how much you like to spend. In 2-3 years the system is most likely cheaper already, especially if you consider price drops for the Xbox One (X) in the past.

Worst case you have to dish out like 200 or so for an additional system in 2-3 years, if you really want those games, I mean I could live with that? I might buy the Series X in 1-3 years anyway, just to enjoy Forza and stuff again.
Apart from Deathloop and Tokyo Ghostwire, none of Bethesda games will ever be on PlayStation again. Some people are trying to mentally kid themselves into thinking it might but it won't. If Microsoft didn't care about which system their games are on, I'm pretty sure Halo etc would all be on PS4 to take advantage of it's huge install base.

Webbo

Nov 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Me checking my PS5 preorder on a daily basis:

giphy.gif

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has this been posted?

"Twitter for SONY PlayStation5™

Apparently they posted from the playstation 5 twitter app...

It's out there.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Just finished playing Ratchet & Clank Into the Nexus on PS Now. That was a damn fine experience, both for my first Ratchet game and for my first fully streamed PS Now game from start to finish. Other than 1 random crash my brain completely forgot that I was streaming the game the entire time.

I might play the PS4 game before Rift Apart comes out, but I at least wanted to play this one since it's a direct follow-up.

Also it would be interesting if they did a MGS remake. Never played any of the MGS other than 5.

You should play Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time. It's arguably one of the best games in the series (my personal favorite), along with Up Your Arsenal on PS2. ACiT is fantastic. I enjoyed it more than Into the Nexus, although ItN is great too.

I really hope Rift Apart gets more people into the franchise. It's one of Sony's best IPs, in my opinion.

OneEyedJuliet

Jan 20, 2020
Are we still talking about who's buying what? *yawns*

I hope we get something (anything!) from PS before October, which is when the Japanese youtubers do the hands-on thing with the PS5. At least it will give most of us something else to talk about.

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think they've enough money to acquire any of them, tbh.
It doesn't matter if Sony has enough money to acquire a certain company - if the management decides it makes sense to make an acquisition (and if said company is up for sale) they can do it. Apart from the biggest players like EA etc maybe.

Bayer (similar size/revenue/profit like Sony) bought Monsanto for $63 billion.

Status
Not open for further replies.