• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me or Era is very positive about MS acquisition and consolidating the gaming industry to become a monopoly. Surely any monopoly in any industry is not good for consumer.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Is it just me or Era is very positive about MS acquisition and consolidating the gaming industry to become a monopoly. Surely any monopoly in any industry is not good for consumer.
No one gives a fuck if PS and Nintendo are excluded.

MS releasing all GamePass titles on PC gives everyone an option to access those games.

I can't imagine Sony or Nintendo doing the same, hence why most folks are "ok" with MS's acquisition.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It's been a day? Were they supposed to go write up an 8 billion dollar deal in 32 hours?

God I hate feeding into this tiresome acquisition talk, but exactly. These things don't just automagically happen.

These acquisitions take a long time. I can't say a lot about my experiences because of NDAs, but I've experienced first hand (multiple times) the acquisition process, and it. is. long.

Chances are, this Microsoft/Zenimax acquisition has been in the pipeline for a very long time. It's also more than likely that Microsoft wasn't the only company bidding for Zenimax. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony was also in the running at one point.

What Zenimax will do is produce a packet of what they're selling. It's a very broad strokes, high level packet touting the value of their company. This is what they will send out to prospective buyers (ie, companies that have shown an interest in acquiring the company, like Microsoft). That's round 1.

After receiving the "sales pitch" so to speak, any interested parties will request a more deep dive into the company they're looking to acquire. That's when Zenimax would have provided an even more detailed packet with a breakdown of the company's goings on. Things like general financials, upcoming projects and their projected costs and returns, and other details that are confidential, but not "corporate secrets" level confidential. That's round 2.

And once again, the pool of potential buyers will shrink, as those companies are then weighing the benefits of the acquisition, and if it fits into their overall business plan/goals for their company long term. At this point, a bidding war can develop. Especially if multiple buyers decide that purchasing Zenimax fits into their long term financial goals. All of this is happening behind closed doors, and can take months as Zenimax, and the prospective buyers deliberate amongst themselves whether or not they want to get into business with each other. That's Round 3.

Then, at some point, the "final" round begins. Zenimax will try to leverage as much of their actual and perceived value as possible to get the highest possible bid for their company. It's at this point that any remaining buyers will opt out, or, Zenimax decides to make a decision on whom they want to go with, based on how well the individual meetings with prospective buyers went (ie, do these guys seem cool, not shitheads, and have the best interest of the company at heart) and the deal is struck between the party they decide. That's just a super general breakdown of the process, in part, based on industry experience with acquisitions. Then the actual time frame of the closing of the deal can take additional weeks/months, and once both parties have received that approval, and the process of finalizing the acquisition is set in stone (ie, contracts are established, and discussions about how to integrate the company into their now parent company are underway), they'll announce it publicly.

Chances are high that within Sony, for example, it was known that Zenimax was up for acquisition. It's also more than possible that they were aware of who the interested acquirers were. It's also more than possible that Sony, knowing their own long term plans for the PlayStation division, either opted to participate in the acquisition of Zenimax, and chose to walk away from bidding, or didn't bother to participate in the bidding at all, and moved on to other plans to offset the potential loss of the content Zenimax would normally be releasing on their platform. For example, locking down timed exclusivity of Deathloop for PS5 while they could, so even if another company buys them, they would benefit in some way from that acquisition, without having to drop billions on the company as a whole, and take on the costs of running that publisher, and making sure it was a profitable investment.

Just because this was out of left field for us, the consumer, doesn't mean it was out of left field for Sony. They will respond to this, though not in a direct way, is my guess. They aren't going to come out and say, "Well, since Microsoft did this, we're doing this to counter!" They'll mix it in with marketing speak about "The future of PlayStation," or some such shit. I obviously don't know what's going on behind closed doors at Sony, but I doubt they're running around like chickens with their heads cut off, panicking at the loss of Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Doom, Wolfenstein, etc, etc. I'm sure they're more concerned about making sure the launch of the PS5 is successful, and meets the demand, as any plans to "counter" the Zenimax acquisition will have been kickstarted the moment they learned of the acquisition, which could have been months ago, if not longer, depending on how long Zenimax let it be known within the industry that they were up for sale. This is all speculation on my part, however, and I doubt we'll learn of the intricacies of this deal anytime soon, if ever.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

MS releasing all GamePass titles on PC gives everyone an option to access those games.

I can't imagine Sony or Nintendo doing the same, hence why most folks are "ok" with MS's acquisition.

No one gives a fuck about anyone but themselves really is what your post is saying. Sadly the truth.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
This take makes no sense. Not everyone owns a PC.
It's the general sentiment I'm seeing in those threads and elsewhere online.

Even Nintendo fans aren't that worried since MS has released several of their games on the Switch already.

PlayStation is the real odd one out in this equation.

No one gives a fuck about anyone but themselves really is what your post is saying. Sadly the truth.
Indeed~

Oct 27, 2017
Consumer perception in the forum has shifted from the beginning of the last gen. Xbox is seen as the consumer friendly underdog and Sony is generally seen as the arrogant company who cares less about their consumers.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Seems a bit pricey and I don't think those speeds max out the rear USB drives. I'd grab an internal nvme drive, buy a 3.2 enclosure, and save some money.

Compatibility list for an external drive?

Sorry, I was thinking of the expansion slot the PS5 has, not just an external SSD. I'm probably just going to keep my current 1TB HDD for my PS4 games until I find out more about the expansion slot SSD compatibility and prices.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Sorry, I was thinking of the expansion slot the PS5 has, not just an external SSD. I'm probably just going to keep my current 1TB HDD for my PS4 games until I find out more about the expansion slot SSD compatibility and prices.
I would still try to swing for an external SSD for PS4 games. Depending what you play, it makes a big difference. Unless of course you need a huge storage drive in which case you probably haven't choose but go hdd.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

The only good thing about this is i don't want to see the word anti consumer for any thing going forward when it comes to this stuff .

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. I'd kill for some more Folklore. Or at least an HD Remaster of the original, Sony!! Such an underappreciated gem that deserved more love.

Folklore was a fun game, funny enough my mother game be the choice in 2007 of a 360 or a PS3. I ended up getting a 360 instead of a PS3 at that point but Folklore was the one game that I debated the most over as I was debating getting a PS3 just for that game before I decided against it. We'll probably never see the Folklore IP in anyway which is a shame.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Jrpg studio and they can just turn horizon into a full on wrpg

I am so conflicted about Horizon turning into a full on WRPG. Guess with the combat systems it has I can deal with any rpg bloat. But I think it would be so much more exciting for a new IP.

Both! For the western and asian markets.

Hey man, let's not get crazy now :P One RPG is enough damn it (joking here. Yeah sure why not).

WRPG easily.
Not only because of my selfishness, since this is a genre that I like more, but JRPGs are more likely to have 3P support.
It would be good to have both tho.

yeah ideally there will be both. I would personally prefer an action WRPG but then again I'll be ok with any RPG with a good combat system (though to be fair, it's not my most favorite genre to begin with)

With MS effectively cornering the WRPG market, a WRPG.

Yeah I can see this being their thinking as well.

These all the games that will run at 120 fps so far on the PS5
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (PS5)
  • Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition (PS5)
  • DIRT 5 (PS5)
  • Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom (PS5)
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege (PS5)
www.pushsquare.com

All PS5 Games Running at 120fps

Maximum speed

Not a bad list to start the gen.

I want Wild Arms, but made in a WRPG style. Completely reboot the franchise, go full AAA.

Actually, new idea. Sony buys Wizards of the Coast off of Hasbro, as well as Bluepoint and sets Bluepoint onto making a WRPG set in Ravnica. Big open world game set in a single city, Cyberpunk style.
And then give us some AAA D&D games. Something with the visual punch of Deep Down.

Just imagine:
A barbarian walking through a dungeon. He's with a wizard and a rogue. They fight some goblins and pick up some old artifact. Fire. FIRE EVERYWHERE. They turn to see a giant red dragon screeching down their backs. The barbarian raises a sword and it goes to slow mo. The title card fades in.

Dungeons & Dragons

Bam. Cut to black.

man where is Wild Arms anyways? Last I recall we got a mobile game or something right?

Not gonna lie, no idea what you just said in the second part sure man :D Sounds interesting! I wouldn't mind such a crazy idea coming true either.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I would still try to swing for an external SSD for PS4 games. Depending what you play, it makes a big difference. Unless of course you need a huge storage drive in which case you probably haven't choose but go hdd.

True. My 1tb External only has 200gigs left, but I'd definitely prefer to get a faster SSD for those titles anyway. I'm not sure what the best external SSD is though. I'll have to do some research, but I'd also like to wait a little until after the PS5 launches, as I'd imagine we'll get various comparison between different SSD's, and which ones give the best performance on the PS5.

Folklore was a fun game, funny enough my mother game be the choice in 2007 of a 360 or a PS3. I ended up getting a 360 instead of a PS3 at that point but Folklore was the one game that I debated the most over as I was debating getting a PS3 just for that game before I decided against it. We'll probably never see the Folklore IP in anyway which is a shame.

I absolutely love it. One of the few standout games for me from the PS3's first year. Resistance, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction, Warhawk, Heavenly Sword, and Folklore were great year one titles for me. Folklore was just so gorgeous, and I loved the music, art design, and the soul capture gameplay was really fun. I loved capturing more souls to rank up my Folks, and then figuring out which ones were the best to use in combat. I really want a Remaster. Or at least have it on PS Now. I still have my original disc, but I hate having to hook up my PS3 to my TV if I want to revisit some of those PS3 games that don't have a presence on PS4 as Remasters or part of PS Now.

I also find it curious that the Ratchet and Clank HD Collection on PS3 hasn't been put on PS Now yet. Like, The Sly Cooper Collection is there, as is Jak & Daxter, but not Ratchet. That's my not so subtle way of saying I hope we get a PS4/PS5 re-release of the Ratchet Collection. lol

Oct 25, 2017
I am, trying to see if looking for an external NVMe is worth the price, not for 2TB tho, lol. The faster I can transfer games over, the better. I think it will be too much tho.

This might be good, not really sure:

www.samsung.com

Portable SSD T7 USB 3.2 1TB (Blue) Memory & Storage - MU-PC1T0H/AM | Samsung US

Discover the latest features and innovations available in the Portable SSD T7 USB 3.2 1TB (Blue). Find the perfect Memory & Storage for you!

And seeing that the PS5 has a USB C port on the console, maybe that has faster transfers.

That's the one I am looking at currently, but yeah it's expensive.

I definitely plan on getting an external SSD, but I'm gonna wait until I see a compatibility list. If anything, I plan on using the external SSD for my PS4 backlog, and keep the PS5's custom internal SSD for PS5 titles/PS4 games with PS5 upgrades.

Yeah that's probably the smarter thing to do to see what's compatible and how fast the speeds are.

Yup. Not an SSD though. A HDD.

I'm picking up this 5TB $100 120MB/s USB powered HDD.

And strictly for PS5 cold storage and my PS4 games. I know I will hardly ever do PS4 BC, and the PS4 games I actually play will probably be games optimized for the PS5 anyways so I will treat those like PS5 games. Play them, when i am done, move them to cold storage too. The way I see it, the PS5SSD should be able to hold at least 10-16 games, I'll never have more than 10 games on there, the rest would just go to cold storage.

I have an HDD now, but want faster transfer speeds.

jrb

Nov 9, 2017
I don't think Sony needs to freak out but this is a turning point in the industry, the Zenimax move is the beginning of the war we all knew was gonna happen but not exactly when.

I agree with Bundy, this is a time to go big. Sony has an advantage over others, they already have an excellent portfolio with studies that are already capable of producing GOTY caliber games, and that gives you a great foundation to grow.

Sony has several options:

- The nuclear option: Buy Take Two, insanely difficult to pull that off and really expensive with other companies joining the battle.

- The aggressive and logical option: Secure Japanese publishers, SE and Capcom main candidates, Sega would be a great option too and cheaper if Sony want some extra presence on PC with the western studios.

I think SE would be an excellent fit because they cover both Japan and western markets, imagine a Deux Ex Remake by Bluepoint.

After this Sony could add some extra studios that fit the weaknesses that could still exist after the publisher arrival.

- The conservative option: If leadership is not open to allocated so much money to publishers acquisitions then the option to buy a group of studios would be the alternative, Bluepoint I think is gonna be one no matter what other acquisitions they do but they would need to search to studios that allow them a bigger amount of quality games every year.

Is a shame that studios like Sanzaru and Ready at Dawn were bought by Facebook, they were great fits covering classing gaming and VR.

I see that WRPG are a big topic, in that sense Larian would be a great studio to add, they are talented and with a bigger budget there is no reason to think they can't be a top tier RPG studio.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I don't think T2 would be a good fit for SIE, unless they absorve the "narrative" studios like Rockstar, Firaxis, Hangar 13, Ghost Story, 31st Union and Cloud Chamber into PlayStation Studios and let their mobile and sports studios work independily.

Last edited:

Ghost Slayer

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, what happen in the past few days had me decided that I will buy exclusives only for PS5 and 3rd party games (+ whatever games MS publish on Steam) on PC. its a shame that I hoped PS5 continued to be full next gen machine but weak BC and $70 price point really put me off :(

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
not gonna lie...first thing i'm gonna play on my PS5 will probably be No Man's Sky

Right on!

That's another one I'm hoping sees some massive growth on the PS5 in terms of functionality and features. That and Dreams. Both of those titles seem perfect for some PS5 upgrades. No Man's Sky and Dreams are definitely 2 PS4 games I'm installing directly to the internal SSD of the PS5 day one.

a question, why is the thread not labeled OT yet?

It's not? What are you seeing?

I see: PlayStation Studios |OT14| Let's be honest: |OT13| could have been a lot smoother

Is that not correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.