• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Also apparently its mark cerny working on it. Potentially koji productions and Bluepoint too. Imagine Sony investing all those resources into a game that will also come to PC. I am actually really lost regarding their vision for the future. Their lineup is stellar but they should be incentivizing buyers to buy ps5 with the work on all their first party titles. Ps4 games with enhancements are also a huge draw to those who skipped the ps4.

W/e tho sony be sony
Sitting there and porting everything to pc while Microsoft secures massive amounts of exclusive content seems sadly on brand for Sony at this moment. What is the deal with this new Sony?
I also don't understand their stance on PC anymore either, if only because they are intentionally vague about it.

At least with MS, their mission statement was clear and concise, regarding their plans for their ecosystem and PC.

I know so many folks in my life, online, and even myself, that would just build a PC and buy Sony stuff directly from there if they were just honest about their long-term plans for the platform.

Bloodborne in particular is a highly in-demand IP, tons of gamers outside the PS ecosystem want it, but I believe Sony isn't sure how to bring them into the PS ecosystem, hence the alternative which is to put the game out on other platforms instead~

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uhhhh I'm leading it with you
tenor.gif

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
They just released TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima back to back.

They have a new Spider-Man and Demon's Souls remake ready for launch for PS5 and have a stacked 2020-2021.

The fuck more do you want lol.

I think they want blood! lol

Indeed, Sony's out here delivering one of the best final years any console has ever seen and setting the stage for one of the best first years a new console has ever seen. Others have already said it but I'll reiterate:

People, please calm the frack down!

lol. Sony tried to expand not 2 months ago with Leyou until Tencent stepped in and cockblocked them because Tencent holds too much power in that part of the world. Sony were TRYING to spend over a billion dollars there. Just like Sony were TRYING to spend over another billion dollars on Crunchyroll until AT&T took them off the auction block. Sony's in an expansionist mode right now and are looking for new acquisitions. Just because they haven't come up with a response to Microsoft's acquisition in the last 36 hours doesn't mean they aren't working hard behind the scenes.

With those 2 missed opportunities that means Sony's got anywhere from 2-3 billion dollars that was VERY RECENTLY earmarked for acquisitions just burning a hole in their pockets. Maybe they're were looking at other potential acquisitions, or maybe yesterday's news will put more pressure on them (even though I have to imagine they knew it was coming). Either way, anyone who's accusing Sony of resting on their laurels is ignorant and needs to inform themselves about what's actually going on.

Thank you :)

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone planning on buying an external SSD for cold storage? Any suggestions on which to get that is 2TB?

I am, trying to see if looking for an external NVMe is worth the price, not for 2TB tho, lol. The faster I can transfer games over, the better. I think it will be too much tho.

This might be good, not really sure:

www.samsung.com

Portable SSD T7 USB 3.2 1TB (Blue) Memory & Storage - MU-PC1T0H/AM | Samsung US

Discover the latest features and innovations available in the Portable SSD T7 USB 3.2 1TB (Blue). Find the perfect Memory & Storage for you!

And seeing that the PS5 has a USB C port on the console, maybe that has faster transfers.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Also apparently its mark cerny working on it. Potentially koji productions and Bluepoint too. Imagine Sony investing all those resources into a game that will also come to PC. I am actually really lost regarding their vision for the future. Their lineup is stellar but they should be incentivizing buyers to buy ps5 with the work on all their first party titles. Ps4 games with enhancements are also a huge draw to those who skipped the ps4.

W/e tho sony be sony
I dont want to hear Sony investing in PC ports. After this blow they took, the last thing they want to be even insinuating is its system "losing" more of its IP strength. Call me a fanboy but if Sony slowly starts releasing their catalog on PC, its over for me.

One of the reason I stick around is their great games. If I can get those games elsewhere plus MS has on lock other games on their platform that sounds like a good time to bail on PlayStation if you ask me.

If they want to invigorate their fans then then should keep investing on things we've asked for. I dont mind paying for a Bloodborne Remaster but if its really in the works, best make it PS5 only. Keep the IP strong and a great reason for fans to stick around. If they start to weeken the 2 up then they could lose steam and whatever else comes with that.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I think they want blood! lol

Indeed, Sony's out here delivering one of the best final years any console has ever seen and setting the stage for one of the best first years a new console has ever seen. Others have already said it but I'll reiterate:

People, please calm the frack down!

lol. Sony tried to expand not 2 months ago with Leyou until Tencent stepped in and cockblocked them because Tencent holds too much power in that part of the world. Sony were TRYING to spend over a billion dollars there. Just like Sony were TRYING to spend over another billion dollars on Crunchyroll until AT&T took them off the auction block. Sony's in an expansionist mode right now and are looking for new acquisitions. Just because they haven't come up with a response to Microsoft's acquisition in the last 36 hours doesn't mean they aren't working hard behind the scenes.

With those 2 missed opportunities that means Sony's got anywhere from 2-3 billion dollars that was VERY RECENTLY earmarked for acquisitions just burning a hole in their pockets. Maybe they're were looking at other potential acquisitions, or maybe yesterday's news will put more pressure on them (even though I have to imagine they knew it was coming). Either way, anyone who's accusing Sony of resting on their laurels is ignorant and needs to inform themselves about what's actually going on.

Thank you :)
giphy.gif

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
More than the lack of buying new studios I think Sony should have kept some of the studios they let go and make it work.
Evolution studios had proven their worth and could work on an arcade racer that was more distinct from GT (I think this was a mistake with Driveclub, playstation didn't need another racer like that, they should have made something more similar to Motorstorm).
Zipper interactive could work on a multiplayer game, something the platform is severly lacking.
Guerrilla Cambridge could have worked on a new Killzone FPS, another genre playstation is lacking.
And even though The Order failed, Ready at Dawn had potential and fitted the Playstation family. They're now mostly working on VR games that could have benefited PSVR and they could have focused on more linear story-driven games with incredible graphics.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Now on the subject of expansion, I think it's a foregone conclusion that Bluepoint and Housemarque will become part of PlayStation Studios. Others like Supermassive, Arrowhead, Sumo Digital... maybe? Not as guaranteed IMO but maybe. KojiPro would be a nice pick-up as Kojima's got a large following and makes some amazing games.

For publishers, well Capcom and/or Square Enix would be the dream acquisitions, but it's anyone's guess if or when that may ever happen. Konami is a whole kettle of fish in itself. Kadokawa makes so much sense to acquire IMO because they have so many businesses that could slot right into Sony's existing businesses with anime and gaming being the two at the top of that list.

An interesting random choice might be THQ Nordic, does anyone happen to know how much they would cost? They've got a LOT of studios under their umbrella and a buttload of IP.

On the subject of expanding their existing studios, correct me if I'm wrong but does Guerrilla Games and Sucker Punch now have 2 studios? I know Insomniac is running 2 studios. IIRC Naughty Dog and Santa Monica tried it but it didn't work out. Does that sound just about right?

Rainemane

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Sony is just milking the hype as they have been doing all year. It's worked wonders for them thus far.

Sometime next week, or more likely next month we get a state of play like thing showing the UI, game switching, BC improvements, and other PS5 related features. Then sometime after that, we get an unboxing/teardown before the console actually gets to stores. And every time they do one of these things, they break twitter.

I hate it though, but only because I am excited.

Yea you're probably right just frustrating that I really want to see what the UI will be like and if they'll have a few unexpected good surprises implemented.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
What even is this? Amazing
Dunno how you do it. My OCD won't let me stop playing a game till I beat it. Unless the game is just whack of course... oh, and congrats on becoming a mod and the jb too!!!. I've been.... err.... away.
Oh I can relate, I do try to limit how many games i start at a time and usually try to complete everything before moving on to the next. I've just been in the mood to go back to Yakuza after so long since that games also been started and unfinished.

Thank you for both!
Welcome back regardless!

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Ok sony era help me please. I want Yakuza 7 and figured I can't wait despite having 2 new consoles. Now it feels wrong buying this on series x so I will probably go the playstation version. Now do we know if the PS5 will be stand alone or can I upgrade from my PS4 copy? Have they mentioned this anywhere?

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Anyone planning on buying an external SSD for cold storage? Any suggestions on which to get that is 2TB?

I definitely plan on getting an external SSD, but I'm gonna wait until I see a compatibility list. If anything, I plan on using the external SSD for my PS4 backlog, and keep the PS5's custom internal SSD for PS5 titles/PS4 games with PS5 upgrades.

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
I dont want to hear Sony investing in PC ports. After this blow they took, the last thing they want to be even insinuating is its system "losing" more of its IP strength. Call me a fanboy but if Sony slowly starts releasing their catalog on PC, its over for me.

One of the reason I stick around is their great games. If I can get those games elsewhere plus MS has on lock other games on their platform that sounds like a good time to bail on PlayStation if you ask me.

If they want to invigorate their fans then then should keep investing on things we've asked for. I dont mind paying for a Bloodborne Remaster but if its really in the works, best make it PS5 only. Keep the IP strong and a great reason for fans to stick around. If they start to weeken the 2 up then they could lose steam and whatever else comes with that.
I completely agree. I too would drop PS if they released their titles consistently on PC. Their investment into PC does nothing but weaken the attraction to the platform. I dont know why they can't see nintendos example.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Yup. Not an SSD though. A HDD.

I'm picking up this 5TB $100 120MB/s USB powered HDD.

And strictly for PS5 cold storage and my PS4 games. I know I will hardly ever do PS4 BC, and the PS4 games I actually play will probably be games optimized for the PS5 anyways so I will treat those like PS5 games. Play them, when i am done, move them to cold storage too. The way I see it, the PS5SSD should be able to hold at least 10-16 games, I'll never have more than 10 games on there, the rest would just go to cold storage.

Grim

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK.
When it comes to expanding storage, will I be able to just load the games I have on the external drive straight away? Or do I have to do some sort of swap to get them to play on the console?

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
I am, trying to see if looking for an external NVMe is worth the price, not for 2TB tho, lol. The faster I can transfer games over, the better. I think it will be too much tho.

This might be good, not really sure:

www.samsung.com

Portable SSD T7 USB 3.2 1TB (Blue) Memory & Storage - MU-PC1T0H/AM | Samsung US

Discover the latest features and innovations available in the Portable SSD T7 USB 3.2 1TB (Blue). Find the perfect Memory & Storage for you!

And seeing that the PS5 has a USB C port on the console, maybe that has faster transfers.
Seems a bit pricey and I don't think those speeds max out the rear USB drives. I'd grab an internal nvme drive, buy a 3.2 enclosure, and save some money.

I definitely plan on getting an external SSD, but I'm gonna wait until I see a compatibility list. If anything, I plan on using the external SSD for my PS4 backlog, and keep the PS5's custom internal SSD for PS5 titles/PS4 games with PS5 upgrades.
Compatibility list for an external drive?

Oct 27, 2017
I completely agree. I too would drop PS if they released their titles consistently on PC. Their investment into PC does nothing but weaken the attraction to the platform. I dont know why they can't see nintendos example.
I don't think they see PC as competition. They don't care if people jump ship. I personally believe PC is competition as much if not more than Xbox. But I'd imagine they have far more data than I do to support their stance. Either way when you think about it if they actually go all in and release all titles on it, PC it would be the perfect platform and there would be no need to own any consoles. It could the best thing to happen to consumers.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I don't think they see PC as competition. They don't care if people jump ship. I personally believe PC is competition as much if not more than Xbox. But I'd imagine they have far more data than I do to support their stance. Either way when you think about it if they actually go all in and release all titles on it, PC it would be the perfect platform and there would be no need to own any consoles. It could the best thing to happen to consumers.
They do see PC as competition:

Competition from online PC games and players from other industries is expected to continue to intensify. The fundamental growth strategy will be to innovate and evolve the PlayStation Platform. To this end, SIE intends to make proactive investments to reinforce content IP, and work to raise brand value, foster communities and user engagement, while enhancing DTC services that get closer to users.

Which makes their recent decisions even more bizarre in hindsight, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.