• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
There was a nice article about what Sony as a whole has acquired in the last 5 years. Can't find it anymore :/
Some examples for Sony Music:
- Acquires "EMI Music Publishing" in 2018 for $2.3 billion to become the largest music publisher in the world
- Acquires "Milan Records" and "Jade" in 2019
- Acquires majority stake in "Senbla" in 2019
- Acquires "RGL" in 2018
- Acquires "Araca Group's" Music Merchandise Division in 2019
- Acquires Kontraband in 2019
- Acquires "Ministry of Sound" in 2016 for $100 million
And this goes on and on. Acquisitions, joint-ventures, minority stake acquisitions, etc. Deals with labels, music stars and other companies not included.

Some examples for Sony Pictures:
- Acquires "Funimation" in 2017 for $150 million
- Acquires "Manga Entertainment" in 2019
- Acquires "Eleven" in 2020
- Acquires "Silvergate Media" in 2019 for $195 million
- Acquires AT&T's stake in "Game Show Network" in 2019 for $500 million (now owns 100% of the company)
- Acquires "Ten Sports" in 2016 for $385 million
- Acquires "Madman's" Anime Division in 2019 for ~$25 million
- Acquires in "Nurulize" 2019
And this goes on and on, too . Acquisitions, joint-ventures, minority stake acquisitions, etc. Deals with cable/streaming companies, etc.

Then there are other examples like "Sony acquiring full control of the Financial Unit for $3.7 billion in 2020". And many more acquititions and additions for Sony Electronics, SCA, the Semiconductor Solutions Group, etc.

Sony Interactive Entertainment's acquisitions in the last ~8 years (more than the complete PS4 generation):
- Insominac Games in 2019 for $229 million
- Audiokinetic in 2019

Closed 1st party studios by Sony in the last 8 years:
- Manchester Studio (2020)
- Cambridge Studio (2017)
- Evolution Studios (2016)
- Sony Online Entertainment (Sold - 2015)
- Zipper Interactive (2012)
- Studio Liverpool (2012)
- Bigbig Studios (2012)

That's it. 8 years and barely any acquisitions for Sony's biggest cash cow SIE/PlayStation. More closures than acquisitions. At least they finally brought Insomniac home. Regarding bigger acquisitions, don't forget how Sony was interested in buying Fox, or how Sony was once interested in buying MGM for $5 billion, etc.
So say what you want, but it's time for Sony to invest big in SIE. Especially now after Amazon, Facebook, Apple and Google are lurking and while Microsoft has almost ten 1st party studios more and Nintendo is stronger than ever with the Switch (especially in Japan). Sony needs to invest and get more studios. And they should strengthen SIE in Japan, too.
My opinion? Go big and get Square-Enix.
This is a very thoughtful post, great job and thanks for summarizing all of this.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
People claiming SONY is charging 70 for a game but the WHOLE INDUSTRY is doing the same sooner or later, MS is doing the right PR moves keeping it quiet and just mentioning "Gamepass this, Gamepass that" which is smart (the service is fine and i am a sub on PC) but people are comparing apple to oranges, you pay 70 for a game that is yours (at least physical) and you do whatever you want with it which is different of subscribing for a service to play a rotation of titles and none of those games are yours.

This next gen is a total shit show right now, at least we got Demon's Souls and Miles Morales day uno, Cyberpunk a week later, that is what we should celebrate and look forward, not a bunch of company suits spending fucktons of money to barricade games from competition (both "sidesides" in different degrees).

In other topics, you know what is bullshit? PS5 releases 1 week later here (19th), 1 week seeing everybody happy with their nice shiny toy =(

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
A studio called Square-Enix makes too much sense for Sony ;)

Both! For the western and asian markets.

It's a business move and Sony should do it as soon as possible. The big ones will do it soon and some of them (Microsoft and Tencent) already did it and they aren't finished. The "La La Land" feel-good story about every studio being independent is over. This is a buyers market now. An arms race.
Sony has to react and invest to stay on top, without losing market share. Without getting destroyed. See Walkman, Sony Mobile, etc.
Pro: Guardians might not be shit.

Hm.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IF you guys had the choice between Sony establishing a brand new studio focused on a WRPG or a JRPG, which one would you prefer?

also early draft for the next OT name: Playstation Studios OT15 It's an acquired Taste

or

Playstation Studios OT15 Gaming is an acquired Taste
With MS effectively cornering the WRPG market, a WRPG.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017

It's a business move and Sony should do it as soon as possible. The big ones will do it soon and some of them (Microsoft and Tencent) already did it and they aren't finished. The "La La Land" feel-good story about every studio being independent is over. This is a buyers market now. An arms race.
Sony has to react and invest to stay on top, without losing market share. Without getting destroyed. See Walkman, Sony Mobile, etc.
I disagree. Microsoft has made one gigantic purchase so far. One is not a pattern. Contrary to popular mythology MS doesn't actually have endless funds to spend on acquiring big publishers, and their Game Pass model doesn't work when scaled that large. There's still a chance that this is a large, one time event.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
By the way even with all that content/I.P/Publisher talk I still think Sony should also buy BluePoint.

Even more so since if Sony bought a publisher with a massive amount of I.Ps added to their own massive amount, you have BP here who are masters of remasters/remakes just sitting in your stable IF they want to touch said I.Ps and not do their own new I.P.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
Who needs DMC when Lost Soul Aside is gonna takeover that mantle?

:V
3vKJqc7.gif

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

SE is just the perfect buy .
Man i would love a big budget Legacy of Kain game.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
These all the games that will run at 120 fps so far on the PS5
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (PS5)
  • Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition (PS5)
  • DIRT 5 (PS5)
  • Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom (PS5)
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege (PS5)
www.pushsquare.com

All PS5 Games Running at 120fps

Maximum speed

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope Resident Evil VIII will be confirmed to be PSVR. It had a couple shots in the Showcase that looked like it was VR but that Werewolf shot makes it look like it's not.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Capcom was dirt cheap a few years back when they were really struggling. They straight up had to rely on Sony and MS to fund games like Street Fighter V and Dead Rising. They were open to being acquired but surprisingly nobody picked them up.

Deleted member 15973

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These all the games that will run at 120 fps so far on the PS5
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (PS5)
  • Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition (PS5)
  • DIRT 5 (PS5)
  • Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom (PS5)
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege (PS5)
www.pushsquare.com

All PS5 Games Running at 120fps

Maximum speed
I would expect all next gen sports/FPS/racing games to have 120fps modes.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
IF you guys had the choice between Sony establishing a brand new studio focused on a WRPG or a JRPG, which one would you prefer?

also early draft for the next OT name: Playstation Studios OT15 It's an acquired Taste

or

Playstation Studios OT15 Gaming is an acquired Taste
I want Wild Arms, but made in a WRPG style. Completely reboot the franchise, go full AAA.

Actually, new idea. Sony buys Wizards of the Coast off of Hasbro, as well as Bluepoint and sets Bluepoint onto making a WRPG set in Ravnica. Big open world game set in a single city, Cyberpunk style.
And then give us some AAA D&D games. Something with the visual punch of Deep Down.

Just imagine:
A barbarian walking through a dungeon. He's with a wizard and a rogue. They fight some goblins and pick up some old artifact. Fire. FIRE EVERYWHERE. They turn to see a giant red dragon screeching down their backs. The barbarian raises a sword and it goes to slow mo. The title card fades in.

Dungeons & Dragons

Bam. Cut to black.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Resident Evil VIII will be confirmed to be PSVR. It had a couple shots in the Showcase that looked like it was VR but that Werewolf shot makes it look like it's not.
Most disapointing thing so far. No VR news.

Though, I think it's because it probably wouldn't run well on PSVR1, so they might be saving it for PSVR2.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Is the fanservice as egregious as people claim it is?

Nude middle-schoolers in mecha is a tall mountain to overlook for me, lol

From what I've seen so far? No fan service. Not like I've seen from Vanillaware in something like Dragon's Crown. As for the nude in mechs thing. The shots of them in their mech's that I've seen thus far are akin to the codex conversations in a Metal Gear game. Like, I didn't even realize they were naked. You see their face, and maybe part of their upper body, but it's obscured by machine parts.

Pretty much this:

13-sentinels-aegis-rim-2.jpg

And so far, the non-battle scenes have looked like this:

13-Sentinels-Aegis-Rim-Prologue-696x392.jpg

Just regular high school uniforms? No gratuitous panty shots or cleavage or anything. At least so far from the 4 hours I've played. The story has also been very mature in terms of how the characters are written and interact with each other. But it's all still setup at the moment. I'd definitely nope the fuck out of this game if it suddenly becomes grossly oversexualized.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. Microsoft has made one gigantic purchase so far. One is not a pattern. Contrary to popular mythology MS doesn't actually have endless funds to spend on acquiring big publishers, and their Game Pass model doesn't work when scaled that large. There's still a chance that this is a large, one time event.

It not going to be a one time event .
You have MS CEO saying they looking into others , you have insiders saying it a arm race .
This is the new normal with MS buying up small , mid and large devs \companies .

Last edited:

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017

I feel it's probably a guarantee, with it being first person just like 7 and 7 having a successful/well done VR mode feels like 8 will as well. Would of course love official confirmation though. As excited as I am for RE8 and as hard as it'll be to wait I'm definitely waiting until PSVR2 releases to play it as I plan to get PSVR2 as my first ever VR headset. Not sure i'll be able to even play the game in VR without being too terrified but I'm going to try.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020

I don't really like the whole publisher buyout talk and Sony counter reacting speculations but Square would be a terrible pick up. They have a ton of Franchises that are on a much smaller scale than other Publishers AAA Output. Under Sony Games like Bravely Default and Octopath would simply no longer be published. Tokyo RPG Factory would probably get closed etc.
Tons of lost jobs, more than via other publishers imo.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
Do you mean for RE as we have Hitman VR. Also, PS4 pro VR games run better so I expect PS5 to have the same effect. 1080p 120hz REVIII.
My bad, talking RE8 in particular. Just trying to figure out a reason we haven't seen it yet. Either they're not ready to show it yet or it's a planned PSVR2 gmae.

I refuse to accept the 3rd option. That it doens't exist.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I don't think sony "needs" to buy any publisher. They can just buy certain studios thatthey have worked wth and still do (he usual suspects) and that would be enough.

MS on the other hand needed to acquire some IPs, they obviously were lacking in that department.

If Sony does try and acquire a publisher or tow, the only reason I would support it, is just that if they didn't MS probably would.

I literally have sleepless nights thinking of a world where gaming as we know it is consolidated under MS. And we all know if left unopposed, that is exactly what MS would do.

Deleted member 15973

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
For a site that was extremely into conspiracy theories regarding the PS5, its specs, Sony "hiding" (remember when they canceled due to COVID but it was really because they were scared!), I find the complete lack of X footage and the overwhelming refusal to critically question that lack of footage to be quite curious and quite telling.
quite. Curious to say the least.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
It not going to be a one time event .
You have MS CEO say the look into others , you have insiders saying it a arm race .
This is the new normal with MS buying up both small , mid and large devs .
They're always saying that there looking for others though. Sony has said it before. The buying spree MS went on the past few years was playing catch up to Sony, whose first party development studios were leaving MS in the dust. MS has been buying high value Devs important to their rivals since the 90s.

I'll grant your that buying Zenimax is massive and could indicate the start of a very toxic shift in the gaming industry, but it's not a given. So far it's just one publisher.

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
Are redgamingtech and Moores law is dead reliable?

If so they are saying sony is making bloodborne remastered ps5 and pc and mgs 1 remake ps5 and pc.

🤔

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I really want to disagree with you on the pubs part but i can't make a good counter to this:

I know they can still expand even still
But when your competition is like this:

I know its just PR but It's hard not to start thinking big
They are right on one thing tho: "You can't wake up one day and say, 'Let me build a game studio,'"

Creatives are absolutely needed.
It's not everyday a new IP comes and sets the world on fire, it's why already established IP's are a very big get
It's probably why they snatched up kojima ASAP for an IP, A creative mind leading a studio/IP is what makes the output great or special.
Think neil, cory, kojima e.t.c
So you really can't wake up and say 'let me build a game studio'
Unless you want to make a game we've all seen before (open world ubi style copy pasta lol)

Man, Tough luck jim. Better do your job, it's why you get a fat paycheck.
Yep, it's war now (like in every competitive industry). Sony has to react now. Microsoft didn't buy The Compulsion and Double Fine yesterday and said "Ha ha, we have two studios more now than you." They already had more studios, still acquired a publisher with 8 studios and a lot of big/popular IPs. And they said today that they aren't done.
So yeah, Sony has the money, they didn't really acquire a lot in the last ~8 years to make the PS Studios bigger. Now is the time. Don't wait until it's too late. Square-Enix is my target.
This is a very thoughtful post, great job and thanks for summarizing all of this.
Pro: Guardians might not be shit.
Hm.
lol true ;D
Microsoft bought a publisher with 8 studios while already having more studios than Sony. Microsoft today said more acquisitions are coming (single studios, etc.). How long should Sony wait? Until MS has twice as many studios? Three time as many studios? Until Amazon, Facebook, or Google bought Square-Enix/Capcom? If you want to stay on top with your company, you don't wait until its too late or shit hits the fan. You invest WHILE you're on top. To get bigger and better. It's like Sony Picture's Tony Vinciquerra said: "If we don't grow, we will be somebody's purchase".
SE is just the perfect buy .
Man i would love a big budget Legacy of Kain game.
True. Imagine a Legacy of Kain AAA game, FF games, Dragon Quest games, Parasite Eve games, etc. with Sony's budget, tech and under their leadership. Glorious ;) Simply the perfect acquisition for Sony.

Oct 29, 2017
It was only a matter of time before video game consoles transition into obselescence. This move from MS only accelerated that transition. The moment an all digital streaming future happens is the moment I quit being a gamer.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
People claiming SONY is charging 70 for a game but the WHOLE INDUSTRY is doing the same sooner or later, MS is doing the right PR moves keeping it quiet and just mentioning "Gamepass this, Gamepass that" which is smart (the service is fine and i am a sub on PC) but people are comparing apple to oranges, you pay 70 for a game that is yours (at least physical) and you do whatever you want with it which is different of subscribing for a service to play a rotation of titles and none of those games are yours.

This next gen is a total shit show right now, at least we got Demon's Souls and Miles Morales day uno, Cyberpunk a week later, that is what we should celebrate and look forward, not a bunch of company suits spending fucktons of money to barricade games from competition (both "sidesides" in different degrees).

In other topics, you know what is bullshit? PS5 releases 1 week later here (19th), 1 week seeing everybody happy with their nice shiny toy =(
Yeah it's good for people who only play games once. some people rationalize it as a demo trial of games they wouldn't normally try. It's interesting.
What's the latest a game has gone gold? 4 weeks before release?
Godfall baby!

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
Here we are talking about Sony being reactionary and bolstering PS content, yet in actuality they might be putting BB on PC.

lol
Yeah if they do its honestly kinda jokes with them now lol. Like they don't care at all if they wanna devalue their platform like that. Bloodborne is a treasure of an IP lol it attracts the hardcore audiences from far and wide.

Rainemane

Oct 27, 2017
I'm normally positive about most things but when Sony is quiet for too long about certain things I start to get worried there's some bad with the good lol.
Do you guys think that maybe we haven't gotten full details about the UI is because it might be bare bones again like PS4 UI at launch? Where we'll have to wait for updates on some features.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was only a matter of time before video game consoles transition into obselescence. This move from MS only accelerated that transition. The moment an all digital streaming future happens is the moment I quit being a gamer.
Yep. Streaming and Subscription Services only = Me becoming a retro gamer, playing on "old" consoles only.
Fuck this shit.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft bought a publisher with 8 studios while already having more studios than Sony. Microsoft today said more acquisitions are coming (single studios, etc.). How long should Sony wait? Until MS has twice as many studios? Three time as many studios? Until Amazon, Facebook, or Google bought Square-Enix/Capcom? If you want to stay on top with your company, you don't wait until its too late or shit hits the fan. You invest WHILE you're on top. To get bigger and better. It's like Sony Picture's Tony Vinciquerra said: "If we don't grow, we will be somebody's purchase".
Let me be clear: I'm not arguing that Sony doesn't need to drastically expand their first party studio operations. All I'm saying is that acquiring major publishers doesn't have to be the way to accomplish that goal. So far it has happened a grand total of one (1) time.

Status
Not open for further replies.