• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Sony doesn't buy a publisher. No one should want Sony to buy a publisher.

That just makes things shittier for everyone. MS and Nintendo fans won't get Capcom games.
MS is really not giving them too much of a choice.

what exactly do you expect them to do, wait until everything else is gone?

I mainly play on PC so the Bethesda acquisition really doesn't affect me, but the ramification it had on the industry will be profound. Its either MS ends up having a monopoly on the gaming industry or Sony counter attacks with their own purchase. Truth be told, no one wins.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Sony doesn't buy a publisher. No one should want Sony to buy a publisher.

That just makes things shittier for everyone. MS and Nintendo fans won't get Capcom games.

Those days are over now it's a open market \arm race.
If Sony don't buy them someone else will and then PS users will lose out on content.
Thing are going to get fuck for everyone the question is how much content you can still get for the platform you like.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really tired of people reading half of the message.

Firstly, it is not only the Bethesda aquisition but the general shittiness of Sony the past few weeks. Let me remind you: A remake of a PS3 game is 70 dollars (why? The game exists and it can't have been as hard to develop as a new PS5 title or even PS4 title)

Secondly, they completely fucked up pre-orders and didn't give fans notice.

Thirdly, Spider-Man PS4 saves don't carry over and there is no upgrade path for the game. Why is that?

I can go on. How about the part where they told us after the console went up for pre-orders that they only kinda believe in generations as long as it lines their pockets?

These things all over the course of about a week. All shady things imo.

At least MS has been mostly honest and done what they said they would.

Maybe I am overreacting but if none of this raises any alarms that we are seeing the return of arrogant Sony who thinks they can do and say whatever they want and fans will take it - then perhaps they are right?
Remakes are usually priced at full price, hell remasters are priced at full price sometimes. Plus hopefully Demon Souls remake has new stuff.

We're not at "arrogant Sony" levels though, we're no where near hte PS3 era. Closest thing is the Jim lie about no cross gen games, but there's still more next gen PS5 exclusives then there were PS4 exclusives, and PS5's lineup is insane regardless of if it's cross or next gen, so it could be a lot worse.

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
When you put it that way it's kinda crazy that the biggest Sony division barely had any acquisitions this past decade
Buuuttt they have had ALOT of games it's not all about acquisitions i would argue Sony has some of the best studios in the world along with Nintendo but can you say the same for Microsoft even with this recent acquisition? I have confidence they'll find studios that fit their culture we just have to be patient, as PlayStation gamers we aren't hurting for games.....well atleast some of us aren't lol

Jan 20, 2019
Capcom definitely makes a lot of sense. They're open to being acquired, have a lot of IP that sells well primarily on Playstation, and really flesh out the genres Sony could offer. The only alternative I could see is maybe SE, or just going on a spending spree with a bunch of individual studios. MS bought Bethesda way overpriced at the end of the day. They only have two games that consistently sell over 5m in TES and FO. Their other franchises are in decline. That's not to say the games are bad, obviously, but if all of those studios had been independent it would have been a fraction of the price. For as little as $1.5B Sony could likely pick up enough studios to equalise on output. They wouldn't be studios with TES or FO to their name, but the output would be there.

Yah it is smart buy, it checks a lot of the box's

Considering Sony's investments in Street Fighter and deals with Square, is either Capcom or them (if they try to get a publisher).

Yah prety much.

.... and Mega Man.
The things they could do with Mega Man..😏

Oh Mega Man, i mean, the name still cares some weight, that is true.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Not worth the effort but i'm bored.

Bluepoint spent 3 to 4 years working on this.
Yet you deem it okay to casually dismiss their work, have you seen the game? have you seen the PS3 version? does it look like it's running in 'PS3 BC' Mode?
How do you know the difficulty? you work in game dev? is Sony the first developer to charge for a remake?

Retailers did, sony apologized still.

New trophies, kind of like last of us remastered.
Sucks for some people tho, this one i'll give you.

Demon souls
R&C
Destruction all stars
You good?
What does MS have that made you switch Pre-orders?

Yeah no.

Ah yes, I forgot. Halo still launching this fall? is XBLG free yet? hmm?

Nah, you just trolling.
All good tho.
This is one of silliest remarks I've ever read. How would you know how hard it is? You think they just copied and pasted the old game and updated textures? It's as close to a "lazy dev" comment one could get without actually saying it.

The rest of your reply is just hyperbolic drivel.

My point is this: with a new game you need to come up with a concept then develop it, right? With Demon's they have the game and the story and they know how the combat should work, have the original art etc etc.

So why is it 70 USD?

When SotC was like 40 usd at release and had the full remake treatment done as well.

I'll tell you why it's 70 dollars - because they are greedy and they know people will buy it because there aren't many games at launch. The DS remake could be 60 USD sure. But I fail to see how what they are doing here is worth around double the price of SotC. GTOH.

Sell me a new AAA game at 70 then fine. But a remake is simply not worth that unless you complety overhaul the game like say FF7.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Honestly if they go out and spend something in the "billion mark" on some shit like Leyou instead of grabbing a c-c-c-combo breaker like Housemarque + Arrowhead + Bluepoint + KojiPro + Supermassive + whatever other previous partners I'm going to be mad as hell !

Jan 20, 2019

Sony doesnt have a choice, if they dont move somebody else will.

Big players are waiting to enter the market when you already have juggernauts in the industry, if they wait the are in big trouble.

To note, that Sony doesnt actualy need the IP, they need studios and workforce.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My point is this: with a new game you need to come up with a concept then develop it, right? With Demon's they have the game and the story and they know how the combat should work, have the original art etc etc.

So why is it 70 USD?

When SotC was like 40 usd at release and had the full remake treatment done as well.

I'll tell you why it's 70 dollars - because they are greedy and they know people will buy it because there aren't many games at launch. The DS remake could be 60 USD sure. But I fail to see how what they are doing here is worth around double the price of SotC. GTOH.

Sell me a new AAA game at 70 then fine. But a remake is simply not worth that unless you complety overhaul the game like say FF7.
Then don't buy it, everyone values games differently. I'd gladly pay $70 for a demon souls remake then basically any other game coming out this year.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

So why is it 70 USD?

Why is every sequel more than $10?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it a new SKU? So they can sell it again or because it genuinely has new content that warrants it?

It comes with the DLC and they do a whole bunch of stuff with it .
But the truth is that version counts as new SKU.
Like how Witcher 3 or HZD is for 2 eg they are others .
If you buy the complete edition for those games saves don't carry over and there on the same system .

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017

Agreed, and I doubt they could leverage massive acquisitions.

Basically a few years in could be a growing focus on internal developments and experimentation, maybe like was seen with MAG, Resistance, White Knight Chronicles, etc, measures to fill in gaps.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony investment into epic? how/where do we categorize that? and as someone mentioned, gakai as well and now azure.
Sony acquiring a minority stake in Epic (1.5%) for $250 million was done by Sony Corp. as a whole. It was a strategic investment and not a move specially for SIE and PlayStation.
The same goes for Sony's strategic investment in the chinese entertainment platform Bilibili for $400 million.
Most of those moves save for the 'EMI acquisition' which is a big deal seems like minor moves imo
But then your point stands cause we hardly see those in the game sector, But shouldn't funding new IP's be expensive? 100M+?
I'd say IP's like GOT/Horizon/Spiderman were successful investments, some turned out poor like order 1886.
"Minor moves" like buying a studio called Insominac Games. Spending $200 million once might be "minor". Spending it multiple times and a few billions here and there isn't minor anymore. It's like you said, it barely happened for SIE, while other divisions got the big acquisitions and investments to get "bigger".
But then again, IP's != Studios and sony does seem to be sitting on a lot of good IP's IMO,
Surprised we are getting a silent hill (if true) title when IP's like infamous or killzone might probably do more numbers, they don't have enough studios's to flex the portfolio.
I agree with Infamous. But Killzone is like.... we got 6 titles and it never set the world on fire. Horizon did. But like you said, they don't have enough studios. And they don't have enough/good enough RPG and FPS IPs. RPG and FPS IPs which are well known and popular.
I still wouldn't say they need to buy a publisher anyways, i'd say 2 studios and expansion of current studios, the only reason to buy pubs IMO is to fend off competition actually getting them cause then the competition will be shifting market-share by locking in established IP's
They do. You don't wait until all of them got bought by the competition. And you don't wait until your competition has twice as many or three times as many studios as you. "Expanding the current studios" isn't working when most of these studios don't want a second full team in-house. So the only solution is more studios. And after yesterday's bombshell and this interview today by MS, it's clear what Sony has to do. Go big.
And it's not like Sony doesn't want to invest! They could have gotten leyou probably if not for tencent but still the Ip portfolio from that purchase would not compare to bethesda neither would the studio quality, its not like SE is for sale or anything lol, aren't they a publicly traded company? they'd have to disclose
True. Shawn and now Jim already said that "content is king" and that they are looking for acquisitions. Square-Enix would be perfect. Right size, great teams/studios and great IPs. Especially RPGs. They are a publicly traded company. Which means you have to make a good deal. Good negotiations and some nice cash.
Excellent post! Bundy

Last edited:

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017

So why is it 70 USD?

Alright, so that $10 difference is why you cancelled your pre-order yes?
Your other reasons were bogus, save the spiderman ofc.
Thumbsup 'Mr DieHard Sony Fan' just btw

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony buying Capcom would be horrible. No one should buy Capcom, the shitstorm would be even bigger than the Bethesda one.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017

lol you are making it sound like this isn't already the case with MS and their new content expansion buyout approach

unless the PS platform and those that are invested in it don't matter as much as PC and Xbox and Nintendo

things changed, third parties are now up for grab or you lose out in the future

the competitive landscape is now an arms race

MS doesn't care so why should Sony? If they don't someone else eventually will in the next decade or more

Jan 20, 2019
Agreed, and I doubt they could leverage massive acquisitions.

Basically a few years in could be a growing focus on internal developments and experimentation, maybe like was seen with MAG, Resistance, White Knight Chronicles, etc, measures to fill in gaps.

They dont have the studios to work on their backlog.

They have massice IP ready to be explore, that is why peopel are saying they need to buy studios.

Aeroucn

Oct 27, 2017
Buuuttt they have had ALOT of games it's not all about acquisitions i would argue Sony has some of the best studios in the world along with Nintendo but can you say the same for Microsoft even with this recent acquisition? I have confidence they'll find studios that fit their culture we just have to be patient, as PlayStation gamers we aren't hurting for games.....well atleast some of us aren't lol
Yeah I don't think Sony is hurting for games the problem comes with all these tech

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I was so sure about picking up PS5 but with the MS Bethesda announcement and them actually sticking to their word on things I may just cancel my order and go MS this gen.
Anyone else feel let down by Sony and not that great about what's been happening?

And I'm a die-hard Sony fan just btw.

Just get an Xbox. I don't know why some people need this kind of validation before doind something.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
people have already stated it is now an era of open market you don't go around feeling pity while losing partnerships you used to be close to

Maple-Rebel

Banned
Oct 15, 2018
I got my business AND law degree reading this thread.

Thank you all. I can finally feed my family with this great advice on mergers and acquisitions.

ps. please don't let Microsoft buy FromSoft

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

So why is it 70 USD?

No it's $70 because it took a lot of work and that the price for next gen games.
Have you played DS it much much bigger game and take much more work than SOTC .
Just look at how it compares to the PS3 version it's a brand new game assets wise and everything else.
They even add a new mode to it where the going to have to balance aspect of the gameplay and the original art is useless .

Last edited:

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017

So why is it 70 USD?

Ok, it may be time to log off and take some time to think. This is a ridiculous take. You have no idea how much effort it took to Remake Demon's Souls. And Sony is greedy? Yeah, no shit, they're a corporation. MS is greedy too, so is Nintendo. That's a meaningless criticism.

People are probably going to jump on you for this, but you're absolutely right. MS buying a major publisher sucks, and it would suck if Sony did the same thing. It makes for a less healthy industry.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
I wonder if Atreus will be playable in Ragnarok, could be a good way to shift up the gameplay and have some cool story sequences.
I hope so too, because that way we could finally get Air Combos back. Kratos launches the enemy while you switch to Atreus and start jump cancelling on some Draugrs. Probably won't happen that way but i can dream

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
IF you guys had the choice between Sony establishing a brand new studio focused on a WRPG or a JRPG, which one would you prefer?

also early draft for the next OT name: Playstation Studios OT15 It's an acquired Taste

or

Playstation Studios OT15 Gaming is an acquired Taste

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
DS is the most visually impressive game we've seen for PS5. It's fine at full price, which sadly $70 is the new norm for that now.

I'm fine with Sony acquiring btw. Just studios that make sense, not publishers.

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Honestly, I wish we had some legit Sony insiders who could actually tell us where Sony's head is at during all of this and how long it will be before they respond, if they respond at all.

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Ok, it may be time to log off and take some time to think. This is a ridiculous take. You have no idea how much effort it took to Remake Demon's Souls. And Sony is greedy? Yeah, no shit, they're a corporation. MS is greedy too, so is Nintendo. That's a meaningless criticism.

People are probably going to jump on you for this, but you're absolutely right. MS buying a major publisher sucks, and it would suck if Sony did the same thing. It makes for a less healthy industry.
Unfortunately, Sony have to or Microsoft will choke them out of the market.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
IF you guys had the choice between Sony establishing a brand new studio focused on a WRPG or a JRPG, which one would you prefer?

also early draft for the next OT name: Playstation Studios OT15 It's an acquired Taste

or

WRPG

MS has effectively cornered the market on WRPGs.

Maybe turn Horizon into a full-blown WRPG franchise.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
Sony acquiring a minority stake in Epic (1.5%) for $250 million was done by Sony Corp. as a whole. It was a strategic investment and not a move specially for SIE and PlayStation.
The same goes for Sony's strategic investment in the chinese entertainment platform Bilibili for $400 million.

"Minor moves" like buying a studio called Insominac Games. Spending $200 million once might be "minor". Spending it multiple times and a few billions here and there isn't minor anymore. It's like you said, it barely happened for SIE, while other divisions got the big acquisitions and investments to get "bigger".

I agree with Infamous. But Killzone is like.... we got 6 titles and it never set the world on fire. Horizon did. But like you said, they don't have enough studio. And they don't have enough/good enough RPG and FPS IPs. that ware well known and famous.

They do. You don't wait until all of them got bought by the competition. And you don't wait until your competition has twice as many or three times as many studios as you. "Expanding the current studios" isn't working when most of these studios don't want a second full team in-house. So the only solution is more studios.

True. Shawn and now Jim already said that "content is king" and that they are looking for acquisitions. Square-Enix would be perfect. Right size, great teams/studios and great IPs. Especially RPGs. They are a publicly traded company. Which means you have to make a good deal.

Man, I really want to disagree with you on the pubs part but i can't make a good counter to this:
They do. You don't wait until all of them got bought by the competition. And you don't wait until your competition has twice as many or three times as many studios as you. "Expanding the current studios" isn't working when most of these studios don't want a second full team in-house. So the only solution is more studios.

I know they can still expand even still
But when your competition is like this:
"You can't wake up one day and say, 'Let me build a game studio,'" Nadella said in an interview after the company announced its $7.5 billion cash purchase of ZeniMax Media, which owns several industry-leading game developers, including Bethesda Softworks and Id Software. "The idea of having content is so we can reach larger communities."

That's why Microsoft will consider buying even more video game companies in the future, he said, and why it continues to invest in its Xbox Game Pass subscription service.

"Content is just the incredible ingredient to our platform that we continue to invest in," Xbox head Phil Spencer said in that same interview. "This doubles the size of our creative organization."

I know its just PR but It's hard not to start thinking big
They are right on one thing tho: "You can't wake up one day and say, 'Let me build a game studio,'"

Creatives are absolutely needed.
It's not everyday a new IP comes and sets the world on fire, it's why already established IP's are a very big get
It's probably why they snatched up kojima ASAP for an IP, A creative mind leading a studio/IP is what makes the output great or special.
Think neil, cory, kojima e.t.c
So you really can't wake up and say 'let me build a game studio'
Unless you want to make a game we've all seen before (open world ubi style copy pasta lol)

Man, Tough luck jim. Better do your job, it's why you get a fat paycheck.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Speaking of Microsoft, are there people in here not even considering getting like the entry level console at the very least? The Series S was a lock for me later on down the road. Zenimax acquisition just made it clear that the series X is the way to go+gamepass.

I mean, even if you're a Sony loyalist, are you really going to ignore so many important games? And the possibility to maybe spare money buying third party and just play through gamepass. God knows I've regretted some purchases over the years.

I want to know what other people who've had ps consoles almost exclusively (well, I have a 3ds and a switch) think about this. I was always able to ignore Microsoft, but not anymore.

Two questions: 1) Why would I buy the Series S if I'm going to invest in an Xbox at all? I'd rather get the Series X, thus getting the best version of the new generation console over a "stop gap" budget console. If I'm in, I'm going all in.

2) What if I'm not personally invested in Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom, Dishonored or Wolfenstein, or any of the Bethesda published IPs?

You'd think at this point gamers would understand that people's taste in games vary. Not everyone is into the same things, or the same genres. It's not a matter of the quality of those games, simply personal preference. For example, I'm not a Call of Duty fan, and I'm also not a huge fan of MP games like Overwatch or Fortnite. Doesn't mean that those games are bad, they just aren't for me.

I think Elder Scrolls and Fallout are cool games, but they aren't really sitting atop my personal list of "Best games ever." For some gamers, they are. And for those gamers, I imagine getting an Xbox Series X for those titles has become mandatory. For me, personally, I can live without them. Doesn't mean I'm not going to get an Xbox Series X at some point, just that those games aren't the reasons why I would (unless, somehow, they turn out so amazing that I might rethink giving those franchises another shot). I never got into Doom and Wolfenstein, and at most, I've only sunk a few dozen hours into each Fallout and Elder Scrolls games. I just always lost interest in them after a while, and never came back to them. It's not that the games weren't cool, just that I wasn't as absorbed into the world as others.

Not all gamers view every IP in the same way. I love Final Fantasy and Uncharted, and God of War, and Silent Hill, but some other gamer may have no interest in those IPs whatsoever, so even if, say, Final Fantasy became Sony exclusive, it wouldn't really budge the needle for them, even if they owned a PlayStation console.

Gran Turismo is one of the most popular racing IPs in the world, yet I have 0 interest in Gran Turismo. It's just not my thing. Sports games sell in the millions, but I've never purchased a sports game in my life, because I'm not interested in that genre. Looking at the sales of games like Wolfenstein, Fallout, and Elder Scrolls, it's clear to me that not every PlayStation or Xbox gamer has equal fascination with those IPs. If it was the case that every gamer loved the exact same games, well, every game would be selling 100 million+ units lifetime.

It's part of why all the doom and gloom seems so overblown.

The tl;dr is that gamers aren't a monolith. For some gamers, this acquisition will be problematic, because they will have to invest in another ecosystem to get access to those games from Zenimax that interest them. For other gamers, it doesn't matter, because those titles going to MS mean nothing to them and their specific gamer tastes. And for others still, it won't matter, because they are planning on owning both the PS5 and Xbox Series X anyway (or have a gaming PC), and will have the choice of playing whatever games interest them that release on those platforms.

Oct 25, 2017

or

Jrpg studio and they can just turn horizon into a full on wrpg

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
WRPG

for either a WRPG or a JRPG studio, I really would like them to either bring back an old Playstation IP (can't think of any for WRPG genre) or create a brand new IP. Much more exciting imho new protag, world, combat systems, story etc.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
Speaking of Microsoft, are there people in here not even considering getting like the entry level console at the very least? The Series S was a lock for me later on down the road. Zenimax acquisition just made it clear that the series X is the way to go+gamepass.

I mean, even if you're a Sony loyalist, are you really going to ignore so many important games? And the possibility to maybe spare money buying third party and just play through gamepass. God knows I've regretted some purchases over the years.

I want to know what other people who've had ps consoles almost exclusively (well, I have a 3ds and a switch) think about this. I was always able to ignore Microsoft, but not anymore.
I ill just play them in my pc with game pass.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
DS is the most visually impressive game we've seen for PS5. It's fine at full price, which sadly $70 is the new norm for that now.

The problem here is that MS stated that the acquiring game for them is all about content which means I.Ps. Not just devs with experience on something you lack like what Sony was planning on doing with Leyou and its MP experience and dev numbers.

Content is now what MS is gunning after and I.Ps that are what MS wants to nab for GP's future. I.Ps that were multiplat before.

Even if Sony isn't thinking about it I 100% believe people will bug them about it in conference questions or interviews.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
WRPG

They don't need to .
All they need is new big IP no matter what it is.
We care about genres a lot but the mass market has no problem once the game good they don't care as much .
Hell just make it RPG light like GOW and you good to go lol .

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
people are going to be very disappointed this gen with multiplat Comparisons. Can't wait for people arguing 1900p vs 2160p and or straight parity.

For a site that was extremely into conspiracy theories regarding the PS5, its specs, Sony "hiding" (remember when they canceled due to COVID but it was really because they were scared!), I find the complete lack of X footage and the overwhelming refusal to critically question that lack of footage to be quite curious and quite telling.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chris Metal
tenor.gif

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A studio called Square-Enix makes too much sense for Sony ;)
Both! For the western and asian markets.
It's a business move and Sony should do it as soon as possible. The big ones will do it soon and some of them (Microsoft and Tencent) already did it and they aren't finished. The "La La Land" feel-good story about every studio being independent is over. This is a buyers market now. An arms race.
Sony has to react and invest to stay on top, without losing market share. Without getting destroyed. See Walkman, Sony Mobile, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.