• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Truth hurts.

Skyrim has sold over 30 million copies.. Come on now. We are celebrating Last of Us selling 21 million.. I think it is bigger than any Sony first party game. Keep in mind even Spiderman is not a Sony IP. Who knows if they will have the license for it in the next 5 years

Whichi is why I think they should be more aggressive when it comes to investments. It sucks to acquire third party publishers but what do you when there are just a few of them left?
Sold 21 million across how many platforms? take Playstation user base out of the equation and what does that bring sales down to?

Jan 20, 2019
Sony investment on Playstation division as been increasing their studios, they even bough new facilites for prety much all of their developers, im assuming they use some of that cash to make improvements to their online infrastructure and since the have a plan for psnow, im assuming some investiment is coming that way as well.

The only think they didnt really do was buying a bunch of studios, that is it.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Did you guys checkout this?
Vacation has had bunch of these competitions. This one was for coming up with lore and art work for Sixth Archstone in Demon's Soul. It's fanfic but really really good fanfic.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
People really need to calm here lol

It's funny that the Nintendo thread is having more discussion of the PlayStation games thhan here

It's like pages filled with acquisition talks :-/

I know it's recent news but I do hope it calms down soon as it is a bit too much.

New OT smell.

How we doing in here?

giphy.gif

The usual.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Max been talking about what happened with Microsoft and made some comments regarding what he thinks Sony gonna do.

He mentions buying Bluepoint which is long overdue at this point.

And he mentions Capcom (it's a prediction, no info or anything).

But while I was sure Sony wouldn't couldn't buy an entire publisher it's starting to sound less crazier right now.

Wasn't there a rumor about Konami and Capcom for a while there? Bluepoint is a given at this point.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Oh, man. I remember those days. I was on GAF back them, too. Almost every day was a news article or opinion piece that spelt doom for Sony. Every NPD release day was dreadful since Sony fans had to suffering through the concern trolling and mocking with no real answer. I remember when people were taking bets on which platform would outsell the other that month: the PS3 or the freaking GBA. Every Sony financial thread had numerous people wondering if Sony is going down or if Sony should sell the PS division.
I must admit I got a PS3 like 1 or 2 years after it came out. (Near MGS4 release) and I completely forgot the doom and gloom ps3 gaf days. Either I was a gud boi who was still innocent and had no need to enter the console wars so i guess in a sense i was oblivious to these dark days lol.

I will say later i did join the console wars and GAF those days it could be brutal.

Yeah what is happening right now ks not the end of the world. Generally speaking i want Sony to share info. Gimme OS, BC, extra features info, ANYTHING. Why the hold up!?

Is their sense of a "bombshell" the dang console features. "<Jim R> OK people....ready for this megaton??? You can minimize and play up to 2 games at a time!! You can put the game in standby! Did you know the front of the console has 2 buttons? Did you know it has USB 2.0 in the front!!??? Wow cost us $20 to put in. Legacy support, not cheap compared to USB 3.2. Part of the reason there is 100 bucks difference on consoles! Wow!" 😑😡

Jan 20, 2019
Max been talking about what happened with Microsoft and made some comments regarding what he thinks Sony gonna do.

He mentions buying Bluepoint which is long overdue at this point.

And he mentions Capcom (it's a prediction, no info or anything).

But while I was sure Sony wouldn't couldn't buy an entire publisher it's starting to sound less crazier right now.

That is what i have been think as well, if Sony is going to buy a publisher is Capcom.

They are worth around 6B, so realisty, Sony whould need to spend around 8B and they whould got acess to:

Monster Hunter
Resident Evil
Stree Fighter
Devil May Cry

And even minor stuff like Marvel vs Capcom and Dino Crisis.

They whould also get acess to a big RPG with Dragons Dogma.

That is my bet if they are going to buy a big publisher.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there a rumor about Konami and Capcom for a while there? Bluepoint is a given at this point.

Buying Konami would be one of the dumbest investments anyone could possibly make, honestly. They don't have many devs left on staff so Sony would just be buying a bunch of unused IP that they don't have enough teams to support internally.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bundy I wonder how big they'll go?
I mean, what more does Sony and some people here need to know?
You have the big MS boss here saying that he wants to acquire even more studios. Sony needs to secure content and studios too.
Don't wait until Amazon, Facebook, Google, etc. acquired everything and MS has 30 studios vs. your 14.
New gen is on the horizon and everybody is starting from the beginning. Invest in SIE and your PS Studios.
If Sony were to acquire SE, this is what would be included in the acquisition:

Popular IPs:
Final Fantasy
Dragon Quest
Kingdom Hearts
Tomb Raider
Life is Strange
Just Cause
Drakengard/Nier
Deus Ex
Star Ocean
Thief
Parasite Eve
Avengers (License)

Notable Developers
Square Enix
Eidos
Crystal Dynamics
Tokyo RPG
Taito
Luminous
IO Interactive (small stake)

Famous Manga/Anime (yep):
Fullmetal Alchemist
Black Butler
Soul Eater

Its a good hold and it could be a good counter to Bethesda, at least on the RPG side of things. I still don't think they would sell though.
Sounds good, doesn't it!?
Appreciate the receipts.
Looking at that, yeah, Sony needs to start investing into the PlayStation brand significantly.
After yesterdays bombshell and today's news that even more acquisitions are coming for MS? For sure. Long overdue.
Damn any reason for this lack of investment compared to other divisions?
They tought "Hey, we have enough" because the others had less.
Eh square is a good choice but the production pipeline is still fucked and the turnaround time for games is far too long right now. They need to decide one one engine and shorten the eastern side of dev times significantly.
This is where Sony could an would help. One of the many reasons why a SE acquisition would make perfect sense for both companies. Great IPs (for the western market AND for Japan), great studios and teams. Well known IPs for the PlayStation community/system.
They did buy Gaikai (PS Now) for SIE for 380 million
They did in July 2012. Damn, I almost forgot. But hey, I have an excuse. I said "in the last 8 years". July 2012 > 8 years ;P
When you put it that way it's kinda crazy that the biggest Sony division barely had any acquisitions this past decade
Yep. Especially when you compare it with all the other Sony divisions. Now their biggest and most important cash cow is under attack. As Sony said themselves "Content is king". Well, the war is on. NOW or never. Don't wait until shit hits the fan and it's too late. As I've said many times. Get Square-Enix.

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017
The thing is, if they bought Capcom, than Sony has locked in 2-3 AAA exclusives games per year on top of their current output of about 2 per year. Those would most likely be already proven sellers to established IP's. They key is to keep pushing quality content that most people are familiar to as opposed to taking the chance on creating a new IP and making 2 games top per generation.

As time goes on, it gets longer and longer for games to come out, so having a strong and steady flow of games is what will keep people more invested.
Bluepoint release a game every two or three years and they make Remake not new IP's maybe at some point but i don't see them stop what their doing for a long time and honestly they are way more chance that Sony buy Bluepoint than Capcom.

I think having a studio like Bluepoint where you know they can make amazing Remake relatively fast and maybe later building a second team for making their own games. I don't see lot of better independent studios like them for Sony.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
There was a nice article about what Sony as a whole has acquired in the last 5 years. Can't find it anymore :/
Some examples for Sony Music:
- Acquires "EMI Music Publishing" in 2018 for $2.3 billion to become the largest music publisher in the world
- Acquires "Milan Records" and "Jade" in 2019
- Acquires majority stake in "Senbla" in 2019
- Acquires "RGL" in 2018
- Acquires "Araca Group's" Music Merchandise Division in 2019
- Acquires Kontraband in 2019
- Acquires "Ministry of Sound" in 2016 for $100 million
And this goes on and on. Acquisitions, joint-ventures, minority stake acquisitions, etc. Deals with labels, music stars and other copanies not included.

Some examples for Sony Pictures:
- Acquires "Funimation" in 2017 for $150 million
- Acquires "Manga Entertainment" in 2019
- Acquires "Eleven" in 2020
- Acquires "Silvergate Media" in 2019 for $195 million
- Acquires AT&T's stake in "Game Show Network" in 2019 for $500 million (now owns 100% of the company)
- Acquires "Ten Sports" in 2016 for $385 million
- Acquires "Madman's" Anime Division in 2019 for ~$25 million
- Acquires in "Nurulize" 2019
And this goes on and on, too . Acquisitions, joint-ventures, minority stake acquisitions, etc. Deals with cable/streaming companies, etc.

Then there are other examples like "Sony acquiring full control of the Financial Unit for $3.7 billion in 2020". And many more acquititions and additions for Sony Electronics, SCA, the Semiconductor Solutions Group, etc.

Sony Interactive Entertainment's acquisitions in the last ~8 years (more than the complete PS4 generation):
- Insominac Games in 2019 for $229 million
- Audiokinetic in 2019

Closed 1st party studios by Sony in the last 8 years:
- Manchester Studio (2020)
- Cambridge Studio (2017)
- Evolution Studios (2016)
- Sony Online Entertainment (Sold - 2015)
- Zipper Interactive (2012)
- Studio Liverpool (2012)
- BigbigStudios (2012)

That's it. 8 years and barely any acquisitions for Sony's biggest cash cow SIE/PlayStation. More closures than acquisitions. At least they finally brought Insomniac home. Regarding bigger acquisitions, don't forget how Sony was interested in buying Fox, or how Sony was once interested in buying MGM for $5 billion, etc.
So say what you want, but it's time for Sony to invest big in SIE. Especially now after Amazon, Facebook, Apple and Google are lurking and while Microsoft has almost ten 1st party studios more and Nintendo is stronger than ever with the Switch (especially in Japan). Sony needs to invest and get more studios. And they should strengthen SIE in Japan, too.
My opinion? Go big and get Square-Enix.

Sony investment into epic? how/where do we categorize that? and as someone mentioned, gakai as well and now azure.

Most of those moves save for the 'EMI acquisition' which is a big deal seems like minor moves imo
But then your point stands cause we hardly see those in the game sector, But shouldn't funding new IP's be expensive? 100M+?
I'd say IP's like GOT/Horizon/Spiderman were successful investments, some turned out poor like order 1886.

But then again, IP's != Studios and sony does seem to be sitting on a lot of good IP's IMO,
Surprised we are getting a silent hill (if true) title when IP's like infamous or killzone might probably do more numbers, they don't have enough studios's to flex the portfolio.
I still wouldn't say they need to buy a publisher anyways, i'd say 2 studios and expansion of current studios, the only reason to buy pubs IMO is to fend off competition actually getting them cause then the competition will be shifting market-share by locking in established IP's

And it's not like Sony doesn't want to invest! They could have gotten leyou probably if not for tencent but still the Ip portfolio from that purchase would not compare to bethesda neither would the studio quality, its not like SE is for sale or anything lol, aren't they a publicly traded company? they'd have to disclose

Kira

Oct 28, 2017
Nice future Sony first party you got there right Bundy? 😏
There was a nice article about what Sony as a whole has acquired in the last 5 years. Can't find it anymore :/
Some examples for Sony Music:
- Acquires "EMI Music Publishing" in 2018 for $2.3 billion to become the largest music publisher in the world
- Acquires "Milan Records" and "Jade" in 2019
- Acquires majority stake in "Senbla" in 2019
- Acquires "RGL" in 2018
- Acquires "Araca Group's" Music Merchandise Division in 2019
- Acquires Kontraband in 2019
- Acquires "Ministry of Sound" in 2016 for $100 million
And this goes on and on. Acquisitions, joint-ventures, minority stake acquisitions, etc. Deals with labels, music stars and other companies not included.

Some examples for Sony Pictures:
- Acquires "Funimation" in 2017 for $150 million
- Acquires "Manga Entertainment" in 2019
- Acquires "Eleven" in 2020
- Acquires "Silvergate Media" in 2019 for $195 million
- Acquires AT&T's stake in "Game Show Network" in 2019 for $500 million (now owns 100% of the company)
- Acquires "Ten Sports" in 2016 for $385 million
- Acquires "Madman's" Anime Division in 2019 for ~$25 million
- Acquires in "Nurulize" 2019
And this goes on and on, too . Acquisitions, joint-ventures, minority stake acquisitions, etc. Deals with cable/streaming companies, etc.

Then there are other examples like "Sony acquiring full control of the Financial Unit for $3.7 billion in 2020". And many more acquititions and additions for Sony Electronics, SCA, the Semiconductor Solutions Group, etc.

Sony Interactive Entertainment's acquisitions in the last ~8 years (more than the complete PS4 generation):
- Insominac Games in 2019 for $229 million
- Audiokinetic in 2019

Closed 1st party studios by Sony in the last 8 years:
- Manchester Studio (2020)
- Cambridge Studio (2017)
- Evolution Studios (2016)
- Sony Online Entertainment (Sold - 2015)
- Zipper Interactive (2012)
- Studio Liverpool (2012)
- BigbigStudios (2012)

That's it. 8 years and barely any acquisitions for Sony's biggest cash cow SIE/PlayStation. More closures than acquisitions. At least they finally brought Insomniac home. Regarding bigger acquisitions, don't forget how Sony was interested in buying Fox, or how Sony was once interested in buying MGM for $5 billion, etc.
So say what you want, but it's time for Sony to invest big in SIE. Especially now after Amazon, Facebook, Apple and Google are lurking and while Microsoft has almost ten 1st party studios more and Nintendo is stronger than ever with the Switch (especially in Japan). Sony needs to invest and get more studios. And they should strengthen SIE in Japan, too.
My opinion? Go big and get Square-Enix.

Excellent post! Bundy

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
That is what i have been think as well, if Sony is going to buy a publisher is Capcom.

They are worth around 6B, so realisty, Sony whould need to spend around 8B and they whould got acess to:

Monster Hunter
Resident Evil
Stree Fighter
Devil May Cry

The thng I think Max nails is that there could be more than one company right now that might be pissed at what happened and Sony has been trying to make big investment for a while now, that money is still there available to negotiate (probably) and what happened yesterday and even Microsoft saying to be willing to buy more could accelerate a process for Sony and others.

What I think is that if Sony or Microsoft (or google or amazon!) buy another publisher this is going to be a mess lol

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Bluepoint release a game every two or three years and they make Remake not new IP's maybe at some point but i don't see them stop what their doing for a long time and honestly they are way more chance that Sony buy Bluepoint than Capcom.

I think having a studio like Bluepoint where you know they can make amazing Remake relatively fast and maybe later building a second team for making their own games. I don't see lot of better independent studios like them for Sony.

Bluepoint doesn't get them anywhere close to the value something like a Capcom or Square Enix would. Like a one-game team that just makes remakes is nothing. It doesn't shore up any weaknesses they have as a brand and it doesn't prevent Microsoft from stealing more key third party support, which they will continue to do.

Like if Microsoft is eating entire publishers and the best Sony can do is Bluepoint, they honestly deserve to lose next gen, hard. They have to think bigger than that.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Sony doesn't buy a publisher. No one should want Sony to buy a publisher.

That just makes things shittier for everyone. MS and Nintendo fans won't get Capcom games.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017

Popular IPs:
Final Fantasy
Dragon Quest
Kingdom Hearts
Tomb Raider
Life is Strange
Just Cause
Drakengard/Nier
Deus Ex
Star Ocean
Thief
Parasite Eve
Avengers (License)

Notable Developers
Square Enix
Eidos
Crystal Dynamics
Tokyo RPG
Taito
Luminous

Fullmetal Alchemist
Black Butler
Soul Eater

Its a good hold and it could be a good counter to Bethesda, at least on the RPG side of things. I still don't think they would sell though.
Oh wow, this is actually a good portfolio.

I am biased towards capcom tho, simply due to DMC lol

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018

Popular IPs:
Final Fantasy
Dragon Quest
Kingdom Hearts
Tomb Raider
Life is Strange
Just Cause
Drakengard/Nier
Deus Ex
Star Ocean
Thief
Parasite Eve
Avengers (License)

Notable Developers
Square Enix
Eidos
Crystal Dynamics
Tokyo RPG
Taito
Luminous

Fullmetal Alchemist
Black Butler
Soul Eater

Sony getting the Tomb Raider franchise. We'd be that close to that Uncharted / Tomb Raider game people wanted. Imagine a studio like Crystal Dynamics with Sony's involvement working with that franchise 👀
Also... getting the Avengers licence, Final Fantasy, etc... It would be the best big acquisition for them by far.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope this buying entire publishers starts and ends with Xbox buying Bethesda and doesn't turn into a back and forth thing. Picking up an independent studio is one thing but this shit gives me the willies.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I really hope this buying entire publishers starts and ends with Xbox buying Bethesda and doesn't turn into a back and forth thing. Picking up an independent studio is one thing but this shit gives me the willies.
Especially if it's Amazon, Facebook or Google jumping into the party. Or hell even apple.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
'shady things'
'arrogant Sony'

At least put more effort to convince people you aren't trying to troll lol

Shady is a very generic word.
Arrogant Sony is also a term used to describe their behaviour in PS3 era. Using well-known terms isn't called trolling. I've already spoken sense, you just chose to attack it in the most asinine way.

Well done?

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
Is it unreasonable to expect Horizon in spring since God of War II will probably be fall?

Nah, I think this is what most expect.
I also think if not for development of PS4 + PS5 versions, it might be sooner (but thats my naive take)

Counter to my point tho, Richard (DF) Did mention the GDK of PS5 seem very easy for devs coming from PS4

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017
Bluepoint doesn't get them anywhere close to the value something like a Capcom or Square Enix would. Like a one-game team that just makes remakes is nothing. It doesn't shore up any weaknesses they have as a brand and it doesn't prevent Microsoft from stealing more key third party support, which they will continue to do.

Like if Microsoft is eating entire publishers and the best Sony can do is Bluepoint, they honestly deserve to lose next gen, hard. They have to think bigger than that.
Just where i compare the value between Bluepoint and Capcom or Square ?

I'm just saying it will be stupid to let someone else buy them even if Sony was buying Capcom or Square.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Yes. MS has been honest. Good corporation. No games only for next gen, exclusivity is bad, Halo didn't get delayed and looked amazing, they haven't had issues with pre-orders, and have shown a lot of games running on their shiny new console. And all they studios are releasing games within a year.
Hyperbole much.
Were you trying to make your post look like an absolute joke? I mean, you succeeded. I give it it 10/10.

Jan 20, 2019
The thng I think Max nails is that there could be more than one company right now that might be pissed at what happened and Sony has been trying to make big investment for a while now, that money is still there available to negotiate (probably) and what happened yesterday and even Microsoft saying to be willing to buy more could accelerate a process for Sony and others.

What I think is that if Sony or Microsoft (or google or amazon!) buy another publisher this is going to be a mess lol

Yah Matt said as well, the buy out by Microsoft acelerated this things. I honestly think if they are going for a publisher is Capcom, a lot of does games are already successful on their platform so they whould just secure the content and the developers.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020

Monster Hunter
Resident Evil
Stree Fighter
Devil May Cry

Capcom definitely makes a lot of sense. They're open to being acquired, have a lot of IP that sells well primarily on Playstation, and really flesh out the genres Sony could offer. The only alternative I could see is maybe SE, or just going on a spending spree with a bunch of individual studios. MS bought Bethesda way overpriced at the end of the day. They only have two games that consistently sell over 5m in TES and FO. Their other franchises are in decline. That's not to say the games are bad, obviously, but if all of those studios had been independent it would have been a fraction of the price. For as little as $1.5B Sony could likely pick up enough studios to equalise on output. They wouldn't be studios with TES or FO to their name, but the output would be there.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Yah Matt said as well, the buy out by Microsoft acelerated this things. I honestly think if they are going for a publisher is Capcom, a lot of does games are already successful on their platform so they whould just secure the content and the developers.

Considering Sony's investments in Street Fighter and deals with Square, is either Capcom or them (if they try to get a publisher).

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest

Monster Hunter
Resident Evil
Stree Fighter
Devil May Cry

.... and Mega Man.
The things they could do with Mega Man..😏

Status
Not open for further replies.