• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Bluepoint would probably only cost a small price, they are relatively small studio and they didn't have any big IP. This not really a big risk and if this not Sony it would be someone else when you see how they talented.

The thing is, if they bought Capcom, than Sony has locked in 2-3 AAA exclusives games per year on top of their current output of about 2 per year. Those would most likely be already proven sellers to established IP's. They key is to keep pushing quality content that most people are familiar to as opposed to taking the chance on creating a new IP and making 2 games top per generation.

As time goes on, it gets longer and longer for games to come out, so having a strong and steady flow of games is what will keep people more invested.

Oct 25, 2017
People really think Sony is doomed based on the MS moves? Lol. Why can't we have an industry where all parties are healthy instead of positioning them as seeking to destroy one another?

Sony will be fine. Right now, Sony still has the games. Microsoft is all potential right now and I say this as someone who has a Series X preordered

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
This is nothing. When Sony released the PS3 a year later than Xbox 360, for 200$ more and was bleeding money left and right with not many 1st party titles...there was drama every single day. The dat Sony lost the Final Fantasy exclusivity.... let's just say what we're witnessing now is nothing lmao.

Yeah, you can tell some of the chicken little posts on here didn't witness the titanic shitstorm of ps3 era and the deep deep shithole Sony was in, not ps but the whole corp.

The amount of sheer rumours flying about how Sony would sell or spin off PS was shocking, my young teenage self believed some of them.

I remember Somy having to sell off its owned property and assets by the boatload just to raise cash to keep going.

The trouble it's facing now pales into comparison to then.

if Sony could survive this. I think they will be just fine with these new challenges.

The whole company not only u turned from near total disaster but it's sprinting on the right direction and making up for losing out on some big changes in the tech industry since 2007.

Jan 20, 2019
I'm really tired of people reading half of the message.

Firstly, it is not only the Bethesda aquisition but the general shittiness of Sony the past few weeks. Let me remind you: A remake of a PS3 game is 70 dollars (why? The game exists and it can't have been as hard to develop as a new PS5 title or even PS4 title)

Secondly, they completely fucked up pre-orders and didn't give fans notice.

Thirdly, Spider-Man PS4 saves don't carry over and there is no upgrade path for the game. Why is that?

I can go on. How about the part where they told us after the console went up for pre-orders that they only kinda believe in generations as long as it lines their pockets?

These things all over the course of about a week. All shady things imo.

At least MS has been mostly honest and done what they said they would.

Maybe I am overreacting but if none of this raises any alarms that we are seeing the return of arrogant Sony who thinks they can do and say whatever they want and fans will take it - then perhaps they are right?

You are, if you dont want to buy the console is fine, can always buy the console later on if the price is a issue for you.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
I just noticed something in the recent Spider-Man: Miles Morales showing. You can see NPC mouths move when walking around.

Was this a thing in SM:PS4?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
You are, if you dont want to buy the console is fine, can always buy the console later on if the price is a issue for you.
People really don't need to pre-order like what the hell lol. If you are uncomfortable with any of these systems wait for more info they aren't going anywhere lol

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017

Firstly, it is not only the Bethesda aquisition but the general shittiness of Sony the past few weeks. Let me remind you: A remake of a PS3 game is 70 dollars (why? The game exists and it can't have been as hard to develop as a new PS5 title or even PS4 title)

Thirdly, Spider-Man PS4 saves don't carry over and there is no upgrade path for the game. Why is that?

I can go on. How about the part where they told us after the console went up for pre-orders that they only kinda believe in generations as long as it lines their pockets?

Maybe I am overreacting but if none of this raises any alarms that we are seeing the return of arrogant Sony who thinks they can do and say whatever they want and fans will take it - then perhaps they are right?
'shady things'
'arrogant Sony'

At least put more effort to convince people you aren't trying to troll lol

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People really need to calm here lol

It's funny that the Nintendo thread is having more discussion of the PlayStation games thhan here

It's like pages filled with acquisition talks :-/

Jan 20, 2019
People really don't need to pre-order like what the hell lol. If you are uncomfortable with any of these systems wait for more info they aren't going anywhere lol

I know like 99% of this coments are just pure false, most of this peopel have no intention of buying the console in the first place.

Like that ones,"just cancel my preorder".

And even if you did, that is fine, dont need to make a big deal about like you are some important person.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya

Yes. MS has been honest. Good corporation. No games only for next gen, exclusivity is bad, Halo didn't get delayed and looked amazing, they haven't had issues with pre-orders, and have shown a lot of games running on their shiny new console. And all they studios are releasing games within a year.
Hyperbole much.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I know like 99% of this coments are just pure false, most of this peopel have no intention of buying the console in the first place.

Like that ones,"just cancel my preorder".

And even if you did, that is fine, dont need to make a big deal about like you are some important person.
It's like telling people you are unfollowing them online lmao.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019

Spider-Man PS4 saves don't carry over because the remaster is a brand new SKU with brand new trophies. There you go

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I just wanna see UI and the create button stuff soon. Hope ShareFactory returns.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

tenor.gif

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
A huge action sci-fi game, with some open world design like ME and rpg lite? That could be amazing.
Maybe helped by Insomniac with they 'ratchet' weapon imagination to bring the action to another level.

It also would be fun how having freedom because of the setting could allow ND to expand playability beyond the limits set by 'grounded' games
Sounds good to me.
I want them to go full on Uncharted/ME/guardians mode with this one with like the main protag is like an ex-space marine turned spaceship mechanic and gets sucked in to saving the universe or something.. Lol

I dunno, that's why I don't make the games. 😅

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017

Not worth the effort but i'm bored.

Bluepoint spent 3 to 4 years working on this.
Yet you deem it okay to casually dismiss their work, have you seen the game? have you seen the PS3 version? does it look like it's running in 'PS3 BC' Mode?
How do you know the difficulty? you work in game dev? is Sony the first developer to charge for a remake?

Retailers did, sony apologized still.

New trophies, kind of like last of us remastered.
Sucks for some people tho, this one i'll give you.

Demon souls
R&C
Destruction all stars
You good?
What does MS have that made you switch Pre-orders?

Yeah no.

Ah yes, I forgot. Halo still launching this fall? is XBLG free yet? hmm?

Nah, you just trolling.
All good tho.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Elder scrolls alone is bigger than the entirety of Sonys first party output. MM was years ago. Think about this - The competition has 23 studios offering games at pittance. Can you image how big the next Elder Scrolls game will be when it is offered at 9 dollars subscription.

Microsoflt will be acquiring more third party publishers that Sony has relied on for its so called content as well as highlighted by Nadella.

www.resetera.com

Microsoft CEO Nadella: ZeniMax/Bethesda acquisition is "all about future of software", will consider buying even more video game companies in future News

Here's a CNET article reporting on an interview with Microsoft CEO Sataya Nadella where he says that the ZeniMax/Bethesda acquisition is "all about the future of software" and because videogames is seen by Nadella as the future of software, he stated that Microsoft will consider buying even more...

I stand by my prediction. If Sony is not aggressive in its studio investement and does not make a play for the likes of 2K or Capcom, as a brand they will be done for in the next 15 years.

Their IPs are good for being 10 million sellers. They are not Nintendo though. God of War will never have that strong of a following to outweigh what MS is doing.

We shall see though. I will be plesantly surprised if that does not happen.
I love reading shit like this 2-3 years down the road.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

This is one of silliest remarks I've ever read. How would you know how hard it is? You think they just copied and pasted the old game and updated textures? It's as close to a "lazy dev" comment one could get without actually saying it.

The rest of your reply is just hyperbolic drivel.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
I hereby promise not discuss aquisitions until a new is announced by either Sony or MS.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

DSR is a full remake it's like doing a whole new game from the start but already have the Blueprint .
The doing assets for everything , animation , VA , gameplay , modes etc etc .
It's like making a new game and would cost a good amount .

Per orders would have been fuck up either way , look what happen to MS and they gave a lot of notice .

Spider-man is a new SKU which is why save don't carry over and we not certain about the upgrade path yet .

Them having 2 cross gen games don't mean the don't believe in generations.
The have loads of PS5 exclusives and the cross gen stuff will take advantage of PS5 hardware like the controller for eg .
Sony messaging has not been great and that is the truth but these are some wired things to pick on .

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
This is nothing. When Sony released the PS3 a year later than Xbox 360, for 200$ more and was bleeding money left and right with not many 1st party titles...there was drama every single day. The dat Sony lost the Final Fantasy exclusivity.... let's just say what we're witnessing now is nothing lmao.
Oh, man. I remember those days. I was on GAF back them, too. Almost every day was a news article or opinion piece that spelt doom for Sony. Every NPD release day was dreadful since Sony fans had to suffering through the concern trolling and mocking with no real answer. I remember when people were taking bets on which platform would outsell the other that month: the PS3 or the freaking GBA. Every Sony financial thread had numerous people wondering if Sony is going down or if Sony should sell the PS division. As a PS fan back then, almost everyday was a day you wondered if today was the day the "other shoe" will drop on Sony.

Last edited:

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
No ideia, the Europe launch is fucking insane, all 3 games (Demons Souls, Miles and Cyberpunk) are all games i wanna play.

Thank god i dont like Ubisoft games anymore or i whould be broke before Christmas.
Lol yeah DS and Miles is a lock for sure but with the 4k60 news of Valhalla i would like to see more gameplay because having an open world game at launch is enticing

Oct 24, 2019
There was a nice article about what Sony as a whole has acquired in the last 5 years. Can't find it anymore :/
Some examples for Sony Music:
- Acquires "EMI Music Publishing" in 2018 for $2.3 billion to become the largest music publisher in the world
- Acquires "Milan Records" and "Jade" in 2019
- Acquires majority stake in "Senbla" in 2019
- Acquires "RGL" in 2018
- Acquires "Araca Group's" Music Merchandise Division in 2019
- Acquires Kontraband in 2019
- Acquires "Ministry of Sound" in 2016 for $100 million
And this goes on and on. Acquisitions, joint-ventures, minority stake acquisitions, etc. Deals with labels, music stars and other copanies not included.

Some examples for Sony Pictures:
- Acquires "Funimation" in 2017 for $150 million
- Acquires "Manga Entertainment" in 2019
- Acquires "Eleven" in 2020
- Acquires "Silvergate Media" in 2019 for $195 million
- Acquires AT&T's stake in "Game Show Network" in 2019 for $500 million (now owns 100% of the company)
- Acquires "Ten Sports" in 2016 for $385 million
- Acquires "Madman's" Anime Division in 2019 for ~$25 million
- Acquires in "Nurulize" 2019
And this goes on and on, too . Acquisitions, joint-ventures, minority stake acquisitions, etc. Deals with cable/streaming companies, etc.

Then there are other examples like "Sony acquiring full control of the Financial Unit for $3.7 billion in 2020". And many more acquititions and additions for Sony Electronics, SCA, the Semiconductor Solutions Group, etc.

Sony Interactive Entertainment's acquisitions in the last ~8 years (more than the complete PS4 generation):
- Insominac Games in 2019 for $229 million
- Audiokinetic in 2019

Closed 1st party studios by Sony in the last 8 years:
- Manchester Studio (2020)
- Cambridge Studio (2017)
- Evolution Studios (2016)
- Sony Online Entertainment (Sold - 2015)
- Zipper Interactive (2012)
- Studio Liverpool (2012)
- BigbigStudios (2012)

That's it. 8 years and barely any acquisitions for Sony's biggest cash cow SIE/PlayStation. More closures than acquisitions. At least they finally brought Insomniac home. Regarding bigger acquisitions, don't forget how Sony was interested in buying Fox, or how Sony was once interested in buying MGM for $5 billion, etc.
So say what you want, but it's time for Sony to invest big in SIE. Especially now after Amazon, Facebook, Apple and Google are lurking and while Microsoft has almost ten 1st party studios more and Nintendo is stronger than ever with the Switch (especially in Japan). Sony needs to invest and get more studios. And they should strengthen SIE in Japan, too.
My opinion? Go big and get Square-Enix.

Thanks for the great breakdown, much appreciated!

Jan 20, 2019
Never said the opposite.

I don't think talking about acquisition is talking about videogames.

Studios that build videogames, so yah, same thing. The same reason we talk about financing and social numbers and all that stuff.

Lol yeah DS and Miles is a lock for sure but with the 4k60 news of Valhalla i would like to see more gameplay because having an open world game at launch is enticing

Cant play ubi games anymore, i will give imortals a change when i can buy it for 20€ but that is it.

The6ixHokage

Oct 27, 2017
There was a nice article about what Sony as a whole has acquired in the last 5 years. Can't find it anymore :/
Some examples for Sony Music:
- Acquires "EMI Music Publishing" in 2018 for $2.3 billion to become the largest music publisher in the world
- Acquires "Milan Records" and "Jade" in 2019
- Acquires majority stake in "Senbla" in 2019
- Acquires "RGL" in 2018
- Acquires "Araca Group's" Music Merchandise Division in 2019
- Acquires Kontraband in 2019
- Acquires "Ministry of Sound" in 2016 for $100 million
And this goes on and on. Acquisitions, joint-ventures, minority stake acquisitions, etc. Deals with labels, music stars and other copanies not included.

Some examples for Sony Pictures:
- Acquires "Funimation" in 2017 for $150 million
- Acquires "Manga Entertainment" in 2019
- Acquires "Eleven" in 2020
- Acquires "Silvergate Media" in 2019 for $195 million
- Acquires AT&T's stake in "Game Show Network" in 2019 for $500 million (now owns 100% of the company)
- Acquires "Ten Sports" in 2016 for $385 million
- Acquires "Madman's" Anime Division in 2019 for ~$25 million
- Acquires in "Nurulize" 2019
And this goes on and on, too . Acquisitions, joint-ventures, minority stake acquisitions, etc. Deals with cable/streaming companies, etc.

Then there are other examples like "Sony acquiring full control of the Financial Unit for $3.7 billion in 2020". And many more acquititions and additions for Sony Electronics, SCA, the Semiconductor Solutions Group, etc.

Sony Interactive Entertainment's acquisitions in the last ~8 years (more than the complete PS4 generation):
- Insominac Games in 2019 for $229 million
- Audiokinetic in 2019

Closed 1st party studios by Sony in the last 8 years:
- Manchester Studio (2020)
- Cambridge Studio (2017)
- Evolution Studios (2016)
- Sony Online Entertainment (Sold - 2015)
- Zipper Interactive (2012)
- Studio Liverpool (2012)
- BigbigStudios (2012)

That's it. 8 years and barely any acquisitions for Sony's biggest cash cow SIE/PlayStation. More closures than acquisitions. At least they finally brought Insomniac home. Regarding bigger acquisitions, don't forget how Sony was interested in buying Fox, or how Sony was once interested in buying MGM for $5 billion, etc.
So say what you want, but it's time for Sony to invest big in SIE. Especially now after Amazon, Facebook, Apple and Google are lurking and while Microsoft has almost ten 1st party studios more and Nintendo is stronger than ever with the Switch (especially in Japan). Sony needs to invest and get more studios. And they should strengthen SIE in Japan, too.
My opinion? Go big and get Square-Enix.
They did buy Gaikai (PS Now) for SIE for 380 million

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Max been talking about what happened with Microsoft and made some comments regarding what he thinks Sony gonna do.

He mentions buying Bluepoint which is long overdue at this point.

And he mentions Capcom (it's a prediction, no info or anything).

But while I was sure Sony wouldn't couldn't buy an entire publisher it's starting to sound less crazier right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.