• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
With 51 days till PS5 launch. Anyone else starting to get impatient? 😋
CoXBRAn.gif

Maple-Rebel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 15, 2018
Off topic, but did Square announce if Nier Automata was getting any upgrades on Ps5? I have an unopened launch copy. I've been meaning to get around to it, but life—I mean Destiny—kept getting in the way.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It would be sick if he's a teenager and a bit more usable, or has certain parts where you use him instead.
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see when this takes place. The "secret" ending of the last game could make a good starting point, but I could see them starting in the future and teasing out the results of that encounter in the early/mid parts of the game.

delete

Jul 4, 2019
Edit: No point participating in this system wars thread this has become.

Last edited:

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, that's a good way to put it. The PS3 being the disaster that it was at launch, was crazy. Sony never going overboard again on what matters to them. Made me excited watching it because the games they are going to pull this gen is right on-brand with their legacy. Very savy stuff with the Ps2 gen and GTA 3, good thing that was shown to them.
The dev comments on PS2 pretty much foretold the PS3 lol.
making dev easy is going to pay dividends for them on top of keeping their Lineup small. Them being innovative and cutting edge on gameplay is huge vs something that is pretty homogenized gen on gen. A lot of people might really change their tune once these systems launch. Them going in on immersion and speed are even more valuable now.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
IMO that is why Sony want so much content for the first 18 months .
MS set up good but there games years away and if the casual already have a PS5 a few games won't take them out the eco system .
What Sony content for the first 18 month does is allow them some leeway to make moves and adjust when need to .

Their games really aren't that far off... sony has a good launch here with miles and demons souls as the obvious hitters, but starting next year msft will have some monsters of their own with forza, halo, and whatever bethesda has right around the corner like starfield. Once they start releasing those games it's gonna be a constant stream of fallout, elder scrolls, wolfenstein, starfield, doom, etc. etc.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
IMO that is why Sony want so much content for the first 18 months .
MS set up good but there games years away and if the casual already have a PS5 a few games won't take them out the eco system .
What Sony content for the first 18 month does is allow them some leeway to make moves and adjust when need to .
Not gonna lie, it'll be rough having to wait potentially a couple years for Sony to announce any acquisitions, especially if MS continues to buy stuff up during that time.

Of course, this is assuming Sony hasn't already started acquisition process/talks behind the scenes~

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see when this takes place. The "secret" ending of the last game could make a good starting point, but I could see them starting in the future and teasing out the results of that encounter in the early/mid parts of the game.
Did you platinum it? the last optional Valkyrie was insane. Took me a while to beat I yelled when I did. Man that game was an amazing journey and to get a new one so soon is really a blessing

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Objectively msft has absolutely turned the tides here a bit. Doesn't mean it's going to show itself just yet. The bethesda acquisition won't start showing itself for a few years. The majority of casual gamers have no idea what it means anyways. But IF (when imo) elder scrolls is only on xbox, that's when you'll start seeing major shifts. I'm bummed about it personally because I much prefer sonys impact on the gaming world than MSFTS, but I expect going into next next gen, msft will likely be the front runner out of these 2.

Yep, same. I have already made peace with getting an XSX down the line cause I'm not gonna miss out on bethesdas output. If MS buys 2 or 3 big Pubs more, Sony is in a bad place.
MS straight up has the money to price Sony out of the Industry if they really, really want to imo.
Even if Sony starts buying bigger pubs, I really don't like this seemingly inevitable push towards consolidation and game-streaming.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
again extrapolate that out over the generation. Sony nabbed insomniac which was a great move... they also closed several studios (I miss evolution ):). At the start of the gen WWS was just an unstoppable force compared to MSFT studios. MSFT in one fell swoops has surpassed sony in studios and brings some serious heat in the new IPs acquired. They also did an amazing job over the last 2 years peppering in smaller studios like ninja theory and obsidian.
I would say the end of the generation shows Sony studios are far ahead of MS right now. MS just bought a publisher yesterday, that won't bring games at least for a year if not more. Sony just doesn't need to react today. There's no rush. That without knowing what are they cooking.
It the second half of the generation on steroids, really, MS bringing news, promises, announcements, goodwill, Sony bringing the games without all the media and noise. Maybe focusing on something that is happening in 2 months is a priority right now.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah they hit all parts for launch. This first year is going to be crazy. I think they can def keep momentum up the first 2 years of what we have an idea of what they have planned so far.
Yep they have a massive first year they getting more efficient for sure.

This, they priced the two models well, the day 1 lineup is fantastic, and the launch window lineup is absolutely stacked.
Its crazy they manage to do this when we are in the middle of a pandemic.

Lydecker

Aug 13, 2020
Sony imho has to focus on what they already are doing: creating great games and ip's that will always attract gamers and cause them to buy their consoles, regardless of the strength of their competitors (just like Nintendo).

And expanding their own studio's I think is a better long-term strategy than spending billions on other companies and studio's. I mean 7.5 billion... you can do so much with these insane amounts of money...

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
When people start to get the new consoles and play the games, the perception will swing back in Playstastion's favor again.
The perception is already in PlayStation's favor that's what's so amusing to see these doom and gloom posts and terrible hot takes from the media, Sony is a behemoth and will continue to shore up their position when it comes to software I don't see where Sony is "screwing" up I don't get that narrative, Microsoft is finally catching up albeit I don't agree with the direction they are going with building up their studios if they plan to exclude PlayStation from Bethesda games that's anti competitive in my opinion I would like only 3rd party studios to be bought by 3rd party only their should be bylaws in the game industry. I'll use a basketball analogy it's almost like if the Cavs played Golden State and they went down 0-3 when Golden State decides they wanted to take Lebron off the Cavs and put them on their team and throughout this process the media praise the move while the Cavs fans are outraged......

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
You said Sony is doing nothing. Nothing since when exactly? Because you weren't here claiming that before the adquisition.
Yes, you are right. Indeed i thought if anyone was buying Bethesda (not even Zenimax) would be Sony. Thats a game style (pure WRPG) they have always lacked IMO.
But for many days/weeks i have expressed my opinion about the suitability of a company like Larian or recently Mediatonic (for the multiplayer success they had) that wouldnt be very expensive.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Their games really aren't that far off... sony has a good launch here with miles and demons souls as the obvious hitters, but starting next year msft will have some monsters of their own with forza, halo, and whatever bethesda has right around the corner like starfield. Once they start releasing those games it's gonna be a constant stream of fallout, elder scrolls, wolfenstein, starfield, doom, etc. etc.

Next year Sony also has GOW , HFW , R&C , GT7 , Factions and few more .
IMO it going to take a while for those studios to be constant but we will see.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
Did you platinum it? the last optional Valkyrie was insane. Took me a while to beat I yelled when I did. Man that game was an amazing journey and to get a new one so soon is really a blessing
I did and i enjoyed that fight to the max
Getting all the tells and timings on that boss then defeating her was epic af.
I think the only better boss i've faced was the big dog in bloodborne dungeon chalice or ludwig.

tomsawing

Jul 27, 2020
Off topic, but did Square announce if Nier Automata was getting any upgrades on Ps5? I have an unopened launch copy. I've been meaning to get around to it, but life—I mean Destiny—kept getting in the way.
There is Nier Replicant info coming on the 24th as part of TGS. Might get details as a "one more thing" there.

105-Shake

Aug 13, 2020
Don't see how this wont be the best launch Sony had has,like with the PS4 they nailed the price but this time the launch lineup is spectacular

I really don't understand the doom and gloom of some people. Look at where Sony's games were at the start of the PS4 and where they got to at the end. At this point in time, Sony has a head start in quality games and can only get better from here on out

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MS straight up has the money to price Sony out of the Industry if they really, really want to imo.
Even if Sony starts buying bigger pubs, I really don't like this seemingly inevitable push towards consolidation and game-streaming.

MS can't price anyone out. They got Epic, EA, Google and Tencent to compete with, not just Sony.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yep they have a massive first year they getting more efficient for sure.

Its crazy they manage to do this when we are in the middle of a pandemic.
the way the designed the PS5 I think we are gonna get output so much faster. I think new IPs get done in about 5 years instead of 6. And established franchises can turn around in 3-4 years.
the biggest issues with new IP is all the custom tools that usually need to get made. I feel like Sony is looking to get more efficient and nimble as a games company.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, it'll be rough having to wait potentially a couple years for Sony to announce any acquisitions, especially if MS continues to buy stuff up during that time.

Of course, this is assuming Sony hasn't already started acquisition process/talks behind the scenes~

If they buy smaller ones like BP and housemaque it won't take long before we find out .
It is the bigger ones that will take time .

delete

Jul 4, 2019
I wonder if Atreus will be playable in Ragnarok, could be a good way to shift up the gameplay and have some cool story sequences.

Online co-op would be pretty cool, although I assume most people would want to main Kratos. Wonder if they would do something like TLOU where you switch characters through out the game.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I did and i enjoyed that fight to the max
Getting all the tells and timings on that boss then defeating her was epic af.
I think the only better boss i've faced was the big dog in bloodborne dungeon chalice or ludwig.
That boss fight was one of the highlights of this gen for me. It was that good.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I would say the end of the generation shows Sony studios are far ahead of MS right now. MS just bought a publisher yesterday, that won't bring games at least for a year if not more. Sony just doesn't need to react today. There's no rush. That without knowing what are they cooking.
It the second half of the generation on steroids, really, MS bringing news, promises, announcements, goodwill, Sony bringing the games without all the media and noise. Maybe focusing on something that is happening in 2 months is a priority right now.

much like during the ps3 era, what matters is the long game. Sony messed up with the price during ps3, but they also made it clear early on hey were no longer interested in 3rd party exclusives on the level they were during ps2, but instead to build up their first party realizing that was the future of gaming. It hurt for the first few years when they were "losing" big hits like GTA and final fantasy, but it paid massive dividends going into the ps4 generation. Their studios grew huge and continuously put out quality GOTY contenders. That combined with marketing rights here and there and minor exclusivity deals on dlc and the like plus the price/power advantage allowed them to comfortably gobble up the market share. It's going to go the opposite way this time around I would think. Sony has the heavy hitters still, but the concept of gamepass is going to grow massively over the next few years, and if msft so chooses to keep monster franchises like ES and Fallout and even doom to a lesser extent off other consoles a shift will start 100%. Again I hate it because if you look at the xbox advertising and the whole direction of their product line it just doesn't have the same variety or magic sony stuff does IMO, but I think msft is in a just unbelievable position right now. I get being in denial about it, but at some point when you see that they've literally surpassed WWS in a matter of just 2 years and acquired as many IPs as they just did, you have to accept that things are changing.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
Tbh I was so sure about picking up PS5 but with the MS Bethesda announcement and them actually sticking to their word on things I may just cancel my order and go MS this gen.
Anyone else feel let down by Sony and not that great about what's been happening?

And I'm a die-hard Sony fan just btw.

I will cancel mine, I have to go to store to finalize it. And bought a the series X.
Never had a non Sony console, but the gamepass and Sony not respond to it, instead they make the games more expensive. It's like they are in their shell and believe that no player will move from the playstation, they will react when they felt the loss but XBox its better prepared that the 360/PS3 generation.
Since the gamepass appear I looked at it with some envy.

And had to eat some crow, Yakuza, FF , Kingdom Hearts games were on the offer, meanwhile I bought some of them in PS. Sony made a segment of untitled goose game on SOP , and the game went day one to gamepass. With Bhestheda, and having already inxile, obsidian, rare, the proposition is to good to pass.

in Xbox they talk of game upgrades and all will be free, on PS we know that almost everygame runs, but they run like they run on the PRo, Better? Whouldn't be gennius to upgrade the flagship First party games for free. If i knowed that I would play the remastered (never thought it would be a thing on PS4 games with the BC) Spiderman , Tlous 2 with better graphics and at, 60 FPS, same for Horizon, GoT, etc I would be egger to get the chance to play it on PS5, but instead sony made the remaster I full price game and is sillent on the others..

t was difficult to me to make the decision, I was invested on Sony FP games and on ecosystem, I have Plus until end of 2022, and had some hope that Sony would do a service revamp and merge, I bought the 12 months on last Days of Play. It was a bet on a move like MS were we could pay 1$ to turn it on the new service...

Just to summarize , the silence, the last PS5 event (and that post show) put me on alert , the acquisition of Bhestheda was the cataclysm for the change. IF I have time and need I will buy a PS5 in the end of generation to play the FP games of the generation.

I think that the user migration will be significant.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I need a PS5 to distract me from the existential dread that's filling my soul.
Don't let it get to you.

Same, October is going to go by so damned slowly lol.
I just had a crappy thought of my system being stuck on preparing for shipment just like All Stars 3D. 😭

Wonder when Amazon will be able to give an idea as to delivery date for the PS5. I have a backup preorder at Target I will cancel but I'm not taking any chances until I get some more solid confirmation.
Hope they start shipping a couple of days early. ;_;
For someone that actually pre-ordered it...i should be more impatient tbh. This new gen just doesn't have the hype so far.
I'm sorry to hear that. Here's hoping something grabs your attention.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I'm really digging this game so far. The story has me roped in already. I'm about 3 hours or so into it, though part of that is idle time, as I'm working, and playing a little bit of it as I can during breaks
Is the fanservice as egregious as people claim it is?

Nude middle-schoolers in mecha is a tall mountain to overlook for me, lol

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
How much is Capcom and Konami?
I would look for it but i would say Capcom 5-6 and Konami 3-4. There was a post with the values over here. The cheaper seems to be Kadokawa ( rumored to be suitable apart from gaming because of their manga business that Sony seems want to increase) and Sega, but this has many non gaming activities (while Konami has almost zero gaming activities).

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
MS can't price anyone out. They got Epic, EA, Google and Tencent to compete with, not just Sony.

Sony is theeast competitive out of those when it comes to raw Financials (except EA I guess). I don't like the precedent MS is setting regarding Tech-Giants eating up the Industry to sell subscription passes.
That's simply not a direction I find positive in the long term.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Yes, you are right. Indeed i thought if anyone was buying Bethesda (not even Zenimax) would be Sony. Thats a game style (pure WRPG) they have always lacked IMO.
Sony has wrpg from other third party publishers. It won't be lacking those kind of games. MS will probably have, yet to be announced or released, more games than Sony . And? It will move some people from ps to xb. Sure. But remember that wrpg while popular on consoles, is a genre more popular on PC. So i doubt it will affect Sony in a big way.
And Sony, and Nintendo, and Epic, valve.. All must read the market and decide if they have to modify their strategies. But maybe they don't need to.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I think it'd be smarter for Sony to look at smaller devs.

I wouldn't be surprised if buying 20x Bluepoints was cheaper than buying SE, and it'd probably go much further development wise.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I think it'd be smarter for Sony to look at smaller devs.

I wouldn't be surprised if buying 20x Bluepoints was cheaper than buying SE, and it'd probably go much further development wise.
If content/IP wars are gonna be the future, which is what I expect consolidations in the industry will lead to, Sony would be in a better position if they buy up IPs that have existing value/cachet.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Sony imho has to focus on what they already are doing: creating great games and ip's that will always attract gamers and cause them to buy their consoles, regardless of the strength of their competitors (just like Nintendo).

And expanding their own studio's I think is a better long-term strategy than spending billions on other companies and studio's. I mean 7.5 billion... you can do so much with these insane amounts of money...

I take it Zenimax is much more than just the game studios? Because I am trying to understand that $7.5 billion. Insomniac was $250 million and seems like a much better acquisition than any of the studios within Zenimax. I am curious to see how Besthda's games turn out though...Things haved moved very far since Fallout 4, for instance.. the difference between that and say Cyberpunk 2077 is pretty gargantuan.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
I did the Final Valkyrie before the Final boss, I was so bored with that final fight since the difficulty was a joke in comparison. I wonder what will be the the equivalent of the Valkyries in the Ragnarok probably some asgardian warriors.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember when Microsoft announced all these studios at E3 and people had a similar reaction wondering why Sony wasn't doing anything. I predicted at that time Sony will do something and of course Sony acquired Insomniac and the rest is history.

I think Sony already has something in the works. This is all about leverage. Sony will purchase a publisher or studio that has games Xbox ecosystem can't live without. This was to make sure that games like Elder Scrolls or Fallout will come on PS5.

Status
Not open for further replies.