• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, they are still doing their thing. I support them with a monthy subscription. Sony is bullshit not giving them proper HQ vids.

Got to repeat though, Cyberpunk looks insane...major upgrade since it was first revealed.
im def waiting until the upgrade this for next gen it looks pretty great now.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I agree that besides Fallout and Elder Scrolls it's not that big of a loss for Sony if you only look at it from a short term market perspective. The thing is though, on a personal Level i cared about a lot of Bethesdas Games and longterm it is important for Publishers to invest in Games that maybe don't make billions of Dollars but are very appealing to certain niches etc. Immersive Sims is a Genre that will probably no longer be availible on Playstation because Arkane was the last studio that made those kind of Games. FPS Games like Doom with Health and Armour pick ups is a thing you will no longer be able to buy on Playstation if no one else does this. Bethesda published a lot of great Games this Gen, maybe they weren't the biggest hits but they had really loyal fanbases.
Sony themselves always invests in those niche Games otherwise The Last Guardian would have never seen the light of day. They are doing a lot less of that now, but with Bethesda gone they also lost a lot of Genres and style of Game that if for example EA would have been bought would not have been lost in comparison. So this actually might hurt the Platform in the long run a lot more. We won't see this in their financials for the next 2 or 3 years but beyond that it could create some sort of damage imo.
The saddest thing for me is Microsoft might still release Elder Scrolls and Fallout on PS because those are the big sellers and cost the most to produce but i don't care about those Games at all.
I share the sentiment. After all, there's a reason why Sony was rumored to be after a similar acquisition: Zenimax was a relevant publisher with lots of talented artirts.

What's transpired here doesn't affect me much personally because I tend to buy few software and always gravitate to the kind of experience that's only available on PS (not out of allegiance, but because it's the tone and style of adventure that I'm able to enjoy after so many years playing). I'll miss Arkane, an studio I thought it was a good fit for PlayStation series a few times, as I'll miss MachineGames and its combination of narrative and fast action. Said that, it won't change in any drastic way how I consume video games (though I understand it'll do for others who enjoyed those IPs more than I did).

In the future, I can only hope they'll anticipate and adjust. I don't expect big acquisitions like many here; I'm not sure if I want them either. I think it's time for new IPs from the already existing PlayStation studios, not outbidding the company that can't be beaten with money. Now there's a hole in the FPS genre, so let's see one of their studios do an FPS; there's a hole as you say with immersive sims (until Deus Ex or Ken Levine come back from wherever they are), let's put someone to work there; if a studio is needed for that purpose, buy one, but do it smartly, at a fair price, because you're David fighting against Goliath, and there's no point in trying to reenact the tale here, it's never going to work. That's what I hope for; who knows what they'll do? I'm sure releasing on PC some big hitters would be far less troubling than exploring all these venues.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Successfully ordered both Ps5 physical and Series X so I'm just waiting for November.

First Time I have owned both New consoles at launch.

Do we have any word on the length of miles morales yet? The gameplay looks much improved

Lost legacy is the best Game in the series because they got to put the best ideas close to each other with no bloat so I am expecting big things from Miles.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Are you talking for me?. Hardly a visitor and accused of Sony fanboy in Era more than once. Is because i say things like i think without preconceptions?. Only a hive mind allowed?.

I'm against a hive mind.
I also think there is no hive mind in this thread, i was accused of jimbo dissing, and would get accused again of that.
But that doesn't mean that there is a hive mind.

If you aren't a visitor and are interested in the topic of that OT that is playstation studios, then i surely didn't meant to call you out.
But i still don't feel the need to have a discussion about gamepass in the PS studios thread.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Man this is just depressing. Microsoft are the equivalent of that football club who get taken over by billionaires and just buy up all of the good players. Once they start splashing the cash I don't see how Sony can keep up at all. First Bethesda.. now probably SEGA. Sony will eventually become the underdogs and it'll be incredibly hard to find a way back especially considering Playstation is their most profitable part of their company.
Sega stuff is just wishfull thinking. They are a public company. This would be out for a while.
But yes Microsoft if wants can buy easily 4-5 more publishers besides Activision and ea and they love a monopoly.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Now comes the long ass wait to launch.
What games you all plan on playing to get over the next 7 weeks?

Took me 3 weeks to complete GoT... wish i had that shit right about now lol

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how Sony can keep up at all. First Bethesda.. now probably SEGA. Sony will eventually become the underdogs and it'll be incredibly hard to find a way back especially considering Playstation is their most profitable part of their company.

Is this based on that conspiracy thread? Also, Playstation will be alright, they have a bunch of +10M seller IPs, and some of the best studios in the industry. Nintendo coasts with it's first party. There's no reason why Sony can't cultivate it's studios to that level.

Besides, I don't get where this idea that Sony are some fragile/broke minnows comes from. They can flex the financial muscle if needed to, and gaming means more to them that it does to Microsoft corp, which is important to remember.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I reckon it will be worth it. I am just going to go PC, but I am struggling to picture what this thing will look like on current gen and even mid gen refreshes. It looks considerably better than Witcher 3.
Yep I agree. their games hammer consoles, so def why Im waiting for next gen. they def dev with PC in mind and then down port hence exactly what happens on consoles at times.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't know how anyone wasn't prepared to preorder immediately after the event on Wednesday. As soon as they announced the event on Saturday pretty much my entire friend group got ready to preorder.

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017
New thread smell....mmmmm.

Nice OT, JuanLatino (as usual).

I didn't even get a chance to vote on the thread topic this time. Oh, well. It's not like my choice ever wins anyways.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't know how anyone wasn't prepared to preorder immediately after the event on Wednesday. As soon as they announced the event on Saturday pretty much my entire friend group got ready to preorder.

I can't think a single game coming out in the entire first year that I would want to buy. Why preorder a console that'll sit around doing fuck all until FFXVI maybe comes out in 2022 if not later?

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
The_Last_of_Us_Part_2_eyes_1.png

lets gooooooooooooooooooooooo

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
Man this is just depressing. Microsoft are the equivalent of that football club who get taken over by billionaires and just buy up all of the good players. Once they start splashing the cash I don't see how Sony can keep up at all. First Bethesda.. now probably SEGA. Sony will eventually become the underdogs and it'll be incredibly hard to find a way back especially considering Playstation is their most profitable part of their company.
Yes. Xbox is PSG, PS is Bayern. We know who will win the gen in the end 😉

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
also, i'm really happy Cory's dad is out of ICU <3

good week already, ND will close it with the golden key!

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
I just tested Minecraft VR:

First i got a black screen because i had supersampling turned on. Had to unplug the console.

Then i had to disconnect the move controllers to be able to go past the first screen (the game didn't register the square button with the move controllers turned on).

And last but not least, i was unable to play in immersive mode until i mapped the promted button in the game options.

What a goddamn mess.

EDIT: On the bright side, there is a wheel camera option similar to flick stick. That is cool.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
I can't think a single game coming out in the entire first year that I would want to buy. Why preorder a console that'll sit around doing fuck all until FFXVI maybe comes out in 2022 if not later?
Obviously I'm talking about people who enjoy PS games and intended to preorder anyway. Those people should have been ready to go right when the event ended.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Yeah, native 4K for TLoU II is maybe not attainable easily, but 1440p on Pro was already quite impressive on a big 4K TV so I don't care. But 60 FPS? Please. At least it will be a thing on the MP mode like they did with Uncharted 4.

Honestly I don't need native 4K (the game already looks fantastic on a 4K TV) but 60fps would be awesome.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
The thought of Factions with the new additions TLOU2 added to the gameplay. Drooling tbh.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes I randomly search "Clap Hanz" or go look at their twitter page, despite not understanding japanese, to see if there's anything PS5 related to them and it's always the same dumb Everybody's Golf VR retweets. I hope they're cooking up something for PS5. one of my favorite devs.

Actually, I just read something about them trademarking "Clap Hanz Golf" recently. I hope they're not stepping away from Sony. I still hold hope for a Everybody's Tennis sequel. Best arcade Tennis game ever made.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
But that's something else. You didn't want (or wasn't convinced) to pre-order, while he's talking about people who did want to.

In any case, I think it's a case-by-case scenario. Perhaps in Europe was easier if you were ready that day. Most reports about problems pre-ordering seem to come from USA.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
Yeah, native 4K for TLoU II is maybe not attainable easily, but 1440p on Pro was already quite impressive on a big 4K TV so I don't care. But 60 FPS? Please. At least it will be a thing on the MP mode like they did with Uncharted 4.

both PS5 and the ND Engine are more than capable of running TLOU2 at native 4k and 60fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.