• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Maple-Rebel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 15, 2018
I don't love the idea of platform holders buying big publishers. It was a good move by Microsoft, but that consolidation is potentially bad for the industry and game diversity.

I'm also not sure that buying up studios is a great idea for Sony, which so far has been laser focused on building quality IP and slowly developing its own stable of studios.

Who would they even buy? Take Two....that's a lot of cash even if it was on offer. Capcom? Square? Bandai Namco? From Soft?

What's the end goal other than satisfying fans? They haven't got enough money to outspend Microsoft so they need to outwit them.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
partnering up and wasting money on other people's I.Ps is a bad idea in this new market wars era of I.P growth

it is outdated as being the sole counter

and technically terrible if MS continues to pursue I.P growth

sure make Konami I.Ps big again only for them to abandon you in a decade and maybe even get bought up with this new bidding war lol
People seems to don't understand that. Partner, second party and timed exclusives are dumb and wasted money on this new market.

They need to own studios and ips because in 2-3 years MS will have 23(or even more if they buy more) studios delivering games kind of a game every month.

Sony will have a hard time if Ms delivery in 1 year es, starfield, forza horizon, fable, obsidian new game, Hellblade 2, new gears and that can happen in 22 or 23.

They will need more studios and more games in one year. Ps4 model after 2015 will not work(2-3 big games per year).

They are not doomed but it will be hard to sell 100+ million with this strategy.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great year for RE fans between RE3 Remake and RE8. Capcom seem to be good this gen and obviously will be for next-gen, I remember that was not so great for them during PS3 era.

I wonder if Sega will stick to turn-based system for Yakuza and let Judgment for action? And don't count on Falcom, they tend to announce new games at their annual shareholder meeting in december.

Capcom this gen has done a fantastic job, especially in regards to the Resident Evil series. Then you have MHW which iirc is the best selling game in the franchise. Then other releases as well. Looking forward to seeing Capcoms output next gen.

OneEyedJuliet

Jan 20, 2020
giphy.gif

I wish Sony would give us something to talk about, because I'm already tired of talking about Zenimax and how Sony needs to start buying shit too, because consolidating is good as long as your console of choice does it.

Anyway, in no particular order, things I'd like to hear about in the coming days:

- PS5 UI, obviously

- Future plans for PS Now and PS+: once you have a PS5, will they give you 2 PS4 + 2 PS5 games monthly? one of each? none because now there's PS+ Collection? What about PS Now? will they finally offer a subscription that encompasses both PSN and PS+ similar to Game Pass Ultimate?

- Upgrades and enhancements to PS4 first party games: Are they going to be free? will they call them "remasters" and try to make us pay twice for the same game?

- More PS5 gameplay of launch titles, pls

- Some update on whatever that new studio in San Diego is working on (Possibly Uncharted?)

- A teardown of PS5 so we can see that new cooling system

- I'm holding out hope that there's some surprise game announcement to come before launch. It doesn't have to be Silent Hill necessarily, but it would be cool.

- Although I've already said that I would prefer that Sony invested in creating their own studios and develop their own IPs in-house, I think Dontnod would be an interesting addition to SWS. Vampyr showed a lot of promise, if flawed, for those who are worried about XBox cornering the rpg market. Are they owned by Focus, or they just publish the games?

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Square is one of those purchases that sounds good until you stop to actually think about it. Microsoft goes from getting 30% of Square's games to 0%? I guess it would hurt Nintendo a lot. Don't buy the cow when you can get the milk for free.

Even the western studios would be a little susp. Sony would be making Uncharted alongside Tomb Raider. If they make any more acquisitions it'll probably be smaller studios that they already work with. I bet the only reason they bought Insomniac was to prevent Microsoft from robbing them of the Spider-Man team.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah i'm not buying a ps5 if Xbox owns Atlus. what a massive L for sony if the rumors are true

BourbonAFC

Oct 26, 2017
I've made my peace with the whole Bethesda thing. It sucks I likely won't be able to play Elder Scrolls 6 or the next single player Fallout game on my PS5, as those are some of my favorite franchises and I prefer playing them on a console, in my living room, on the best and biggest screen in my house. Not being able to play Starfield on it will also suck. However, I've been planning to build a new gaming PC some time in the future for a while now, so I guess I'll just have to haul it into my living room when the time comes.

Not gonna lie, for a split second this almost made me want to go with the Series X over PS5. That is how much I love Bethesda's games. However I'm too invested in the Sony ecosystem and all of my friends are planning to get a PS5. Luckily most of these games are years from release, so that gives me plenty of time to build a new PC.

Asapphire541

Oct 19, 2018
Sony don't need a to get a huge publisher I rather they get studios that would diversify they're output. Like an FPS, a non sim type Racer, RPG etc.

They should also revive more old IPs. Personally I would also like to see Sony push Astrobot as they're big mascot with multiple full fledged games.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Sony's covered with FPS if they successfully revive Resistance & Killzone like they did with God of War. I'd love to see Killzone brought back as a kind of tactical shooter more in line with the select-a-character/party mechanic in the first game.

Gimme back Warhawk & wipEout too. That's my kinda Sony diversification.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Sony's covered with FPS if they successfully revive Resistance & Killzone like they did with God of War. I'd love to see Killzone brought back as a kind of tactical shooter more in line with the select-a-character/party mechanic in the first game.
Or if they want a counter to Dishonored, Killzone Mercenary 2 with bigger levels and a similar stealth design to Dishonored.

Kira

Oct 28, 2017
Why not do both? It's long overdue.

The Vodafone story was a super weird story here in germany. But yeah, as I've said, Sony has the money to get them. And now is the time to go big. Competition is firing shots, more rivals are entering the industry and your marketshare is in danger. Now is the time to invest, to stay on top. It's long overdue for SIE, after Sony already spend multi-billions for Sony Music, Sony Pictures, Sony Financial Unit, etc.
Let's see what happens.
one thing that really irks me is that they don't invest in PlayStation , they instead chose to strengthen other departments using $$ mainly made by PlayStation

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
People seems to don't understand that. Partner, second party and timed exclusives are dumb and wasted money on this new market.

They need to own studios and ips because in 2-3 years MS will have 23(or even more if they buy more) studios delivering games kind of a game every month.

Sony will have a hard time if Ms delivery in 1 year es, starfield, forza horizon, fable, obsidian new game, Hellblade 2, new gears and that can happen in 22 or 23.

They will need more studios and more games in one year. Ps4 model after 2015 will not work(2-3 big games per year).

They are not doomed but it will be hard to sell 100+ million with this strategy.

MS has to prove they can get games without much problems and manage there studios good .
I don't think people know how hard that is to do if they think MS just going to kicking out content year after year easy .
Hell there big IP game was in dev for 5 plus years and have problems .

one thing that really irks me is that they don't invest in PlayStation , they instead chose to strengthen other departments using $$ mainly made by PlayStation

That not really true .
Other parts of Sony have been making money for years aside form PS .

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
WB Games is about the only publisher I'd really miss and even then I'm not really all that interested in Gotham Knights or Suicide Squad at this point. I'll probably be all over NetherRealm's next project though.

I also realized that Assassin's Creed is the only Ubi franchise I'm really interested in.

Oct 24, 2019
Square is one of those purchases that sounds good until you stop to actually think about it. Microsoft goes from getting 30% of Square's games to 0%? I guess it would hurt Nintendo a lot. Don't buy the cow when you can get the milk for free.

Even the western studios would be a little susp. Sony would be making Uncharted alongside Tomb Raider. If they make any more acquisitions it'll probably be smaller studios that they already work with. I bet the only reason they bought Insomniac was to prevent Microsoft from robbing them of the Spider-Man team.

You buy the cow if you're worried your rival farmer is going to swoop in and buy the cow & steal the udder out of your mouth lol

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Me too. I'm so tired of everything feeling like shit all the time. I need some sunshine.

I'm honestly rooting for you, a know a lot of people sometimes nag at you for being "negative" all the time but I know it's genuine and things are difficult for you so I'm always rooting for you and crossing my fingers that games/things in general will excite you and help lift you spirits soon enough.

Your probably right about any form of collectors edition since it would probably already have been announced. I guess I'll hold on to some hope for the future press guide.

Yeah, seems like going forward, due to both consoles having 2 skus, one digital and one physical, collectors editions might become a bit more rare due to companies not wanting to make multiple versions for each console. I could see a rise in collectors editions without games included as we saw a few of them this gen but it seems like at least for Sony/MS there'll be less.

Oct 24, 2019
Why not do both? It's long overdue.

The Vodafone story was a super weird story here in germany. But yeah, as I've said, Sony has the money to get them. And now is the time to go big. Competition is firing shots, more rivals are entering the industry and your marketshare is in danger. Now is the time to invest, to stay on top. It's long overdue for SIE, after Sony already spend multi-billions for Sony Music, Sony Pictures, Sony Financial Unit, etc.
Let's see what happens.

Since I don't really follow Sony's broader operations outside of PlayStation, can you elaborate on those billions they invested in the music, film, etc. divisions please?

Like what were they pumping that money into for those divisions?

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
Microsoft is investing a ton of money to acquire talent. Sony is doing nothing

i mean doin' nothing except selling out PS5 worldwide and keep cheerishing it's amazing studios which all are hard at work on their Ps5 games?

sure they must be fooling around their yatchs or something.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Explain to me how it would be thanks to Layden who did not even run things for long .
Sony has a ton of good will , if you basing good will on here you in a bubble .
Layden was CEO of SIE America from 2014 to 2018 and then was head of WWS until he left end of Sept 2019

He was in charge, greenlighted and supported probably every projects from PlayStation North America studios that began from 2013 onward (Spider-Man, Ghost, TLOU Part II, God of War, etc...) and he is the one who managed to get Insomniac as PlayStation Studios

If PlayStation had/will have an incredible 2020 and a stellar 2021, it's probably thanks to his decisions about projects like God of War and now God of War 2 can exist, he probably agreed when Guerrilla wanted to expand to 2 teams with 400 developers overall, he probably greenlighted Miles Morales as a PS5 launch game, same for Ghost, TLOU Part II and Dreams
(and when I meant "supported", I meant providing enough resources to these studios, the time and the budget to fulfill their vision)

Every projects that began before Sept 2019 and will shine on PS5, that's partly thanks to him

And no Sony has not a ton of goodwill, they have of course but they deserved a lot more considering COVID and the output they have prepared for launch and first year.
And of course, I'm talking about ERA, but what I see on social media.

The problem is media don't talk about Sony, their incredible launch line up and their first year because it would be too much Sony's praise for them
I can't imagine the headlines if Sony would have delayed Miles/Demon's Souls to have nothing for launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.