• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I don't think Sony should buy a large or mid-size publisher. I just don't think it's a good idea, it's really risky. There's a reason we haven't seen a lot of it. What I think they should do is continue what they've been doing, which is securing limited game exclusivity from a wide range of publishers and bringing smaller studios into the fold that make sense, like Bluepoint. This is a flexible strategy and it's been working well for them. Microsoft pulled the rug out from under them on Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop; those franchises are essentially DOA now, but games like FF16 and Remake Part II are still going to be absolutely massive. I suspect there's more of these types of big hits coming down the pike, as Microsoft is unlikely to contest with the recent 7.5bn for Bethesda. They're basically spent, and somehow I doubt they'll be spending more (esp if it's not to completely own) until they see some ROI. This could be precisely why Sony has been able to secure the exclusives they have; divergent strategies. But that leaves Sony with pick of the litter; if GTA6 is exclusive even for a year, it essentially undoes this entire Zenimax deal for a generation in terms of impact.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So, forgive me if it's a silly question but I see talk of how "Sony should show the UI" and, is it really that important at all ? I can barely remember them showing it for the PS4 prior to launch and even though I only got a PS4 for christmas 2014, the UI was a complete surprise to me, I had paid zero attention to that prior to buying it.

It's mostly just the fact that we don't know. People are drawn by the allure of the unknown.

DarkVaber32

Nov 15, 2018
I can't really decide whether i should buy Cyberpunk 2077 for PC or PS5. My PC has better specs than current gen, and the next gen version doesn't come out until next year anyway. But the game might run better on the PS5, although at current gen graphics. What should i do?

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Yeah me too. Konami have great IPs in their vault and I don't see them doing nothing with.. Either they will start to create games as next-gen represents new opportunities, maybe not at AAA quality but at least with decent budget or they will let other studios using their IP, it seems like what Sony do with Silent Hill -if the rumors are true of course-.
Konami are already doing things with their IPs though: https://bloody-disgusting.com/video-games/3588785/konami-brings-back-silent-hill-pachinko-machine/ (sorry about the link, it was the first one that came up in Google, here's the Yahoo news link it references: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/konami-strengthens-future-play-emerging-100000077.html )

That's both Metal Gear and Silent Hill re-surfaced as Pachinko machines, not really sure they're interested in re-joining the video games arms race...

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
Oh God, is this another Square Enix culture post? Please let's not go down there.
? I don't even know what you're talking about. I'm just saying that there are laws in almost every country to protect their companies and avoid monopolistic practices, something that Microsoft has been accused of on several occasions. We'll see what happens, but if this continues, situations like Disney and Fox will happen.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great year for RE fans between RE3 Remake and RE8. Capcom seem to be good this gen and obviously will be for next-gen, I remember that was not so great for them during PS3 era.

I wonder if Sega will stick to turn-based system for Yakuza and let Judgment for action? And don't count on Falcom, they tend to announce new games at their annual shareholder meeting in december.

I definitely want 8 to be another turn based Yakuza game. I loved 7 and think with the standard refinement the series gets for sequels it'll be something really special. But I definitely think they'll stick to action combat for any other spinoff. It all depends on what they plan on releasing next - I really want 8 next but I get the feeling it'll be 2022 before we get that, so assuming there's a game coming out next year, it'll probably be another spinoff like Judge Eyes but I'm really just guessing.

Capcom wise... They weren't bad during the last gen, after all we got a proper Street Fighter sequel after a decade, ditto for Marvel Vs Capcom. Also Mega Man 9&10 - all of which are some of the best games for me last gen. But they did hit a rough patch with that outsourcing and some odd choices for certain franchises. I enjoyed RE6 in terms of how slick the combat is, but the soul of the series was lost on that one - it was a blockbuster action movie as opposed to more of a horror/thriller mix - having just finished plat'ing REmake 3 this afternoon, I much prefer how the last three RE games play compared to last gens - just enough action, just enough spooky atmosphere. RE8 should hopefully follow in 7's footsteps and by the looks of it, we'll get more enemy variety as well. I'm very excited to see what else Capcom has in store next gen, they've ended really strong with their main franchises, but I'd really love to hear about just what Pragmata is.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I can't really decide whether i should buy Cyberpunk 2077 for PC or PS5. My PC has better specs than current gen, and the next gen version doesn't come out until next year anyway. But the game might run better on the PS5, although at current gen graphics. What should i do?

Do you have an SSD in your PC or no? Depends on how much you want quicker loading maybe.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
With TGS this week I wonder if they will have anything planned for the PS5's JP launch. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't, 'cause it feels like that market is too far gone. Or maybe my infrequent visits to the MC threads have corroded my brain.
Do you mean like a midnight launch party ? I guess the pandemic situation is a far better excuse to not do it than whatever market considerations.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, forgive me if it's a silly question but I see talk of how "Sony should show the UI" and, is it really that important at all ? I can barely remember them showing it for the PS4 prior to launch and even though I only got a PS4 for christmas 2014, the UI was a complete surprise to me, I had paid zero attention to that prior to buying it.

Personally, no. Actually maybe a little, I hope that multi-tasking doesn't hitch and freeze like the PS4. Ultimately however, I am 100% there for the games.

Raigor

May 14, 2020

If you value "60fps" at launch buy on PC, if not get it on PS5 and wait for the patch.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You guys think Sony is working on Silent Hill but don't believe Sony will purchase Konami? Why help with reviving a franchise if you don't wish to acquire?

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhat dumb question but will the ds4 be compatible with the ps5? Thinking about getting rid of all my ps4 stuff to have some spare for the ps5 release but really don't wanna sell my classic ps4 controller :(
I believe they said it'll work when playing PS4 games on PS5 but whether it works for PS5 games would be up to specific devs/games and seemingly unlikely to be common. Could be wrong on it being up to the developer to decide.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You guys think Sony is working on Silent Hill but don't believe Sony will purchase Konami? Why help with reviving a franchise if you don't wish to acquire?

Personally I don't think they're doing either. Konami would be a terrible buyout investment. They have almost no developers left so Sony would be paying probably a few billion bucks for a bunch of unused IP that Sony themselves don't have the teams to support.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I agree, I don't trust his goodwill, he's in the business to win. As for the quality, MS is stepping up to a whole new league of budgeting and project management. Bethesda has at LEAST three $100 million + projects, outside of Halo and maybe Gears sometimes, MS doesn't have many $100 million + projects.
yeeeep. Managing that portfolio is gonna be insane to attempt to do internally. Also finding funding for various games now. They pretty much could have 23+games in development at once. This is why When I say just sony expanding doesnt make sense vs just contracting or forming various partnerships with 3rd parties instead the risk is a lot less but way more reward. there is a lot of risk MS has just taken on now, and now All eyes are on them now. and you best believe they need to recoup that investment within the next decade. Also i feel like there will be cuts to certain studios as well, and or management gets replaced at studios which in turn could make talent leave. This is why while on the surface this looks like a major win. There is a reason why a vast majority of acquisitions fail.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
You simply go and buy out the company. It costs more than a standard private-owned company, but still, just acquire them. Yes, it takes longer, you have to reach an agreement with the shareholders to sell, etc.
But in the end, simply buy the company and swallow it.

For me searching agreements with the shareholders, and simply buy the company, sounds like 2 big differences.

In germany vodafone bought forcefully a public traded cellphone carrier.
They offered almost double the price of every share to shareholders.
Maybe sony can do that.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Wow the other thread has a rally of posts wanting MS to buy up Sega lol. Even on twitter it is bizarre to see how positive most people are about MS's expedition of major I.Ps.

If that happened I wonder if we will still get posts of people saying Sony should not respond and instead buy low non I.P holding studios instead?

If the last acquisition wasn't a wake up call for some, you'd think if Sega got bought up then some would finally see the picture.

Again not doom and gloom since people think every post has to be black and white but a MS with Sega would be an Iconic Xbox platform and Sony would have to counter by getting iconic acquisitions as well in order to be as aggressive as MS.

Imagine Yakuza being only for Xbox and PC? Would be crazy to see but I wouldn't be shocked with how MS is being so full force and I can see a world were SEGA/XBOX is a thing and still seems natural in an evolutionary sense.

It would be a pretty big hit to those "Sony doesn't need to make a JRPG because they have Persona as an exclusive" posts.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Demons Souls looks so good but am Iying to myself for expecting a collectors edition and possibly a future press guide?

At this point a collectors edition seems unlikely, maybe a future press guide as those are always quality.
Had a night to sleep on everything and man I still don't feel much better than I did yesterday. I really, really need some good news.

I'm sorry :( Hopefully there is some good news that'll help cheer you up soon.

Oct 24, 2019
I don't think Sony should buy a large or mid-size publisher. I just don't think it's a good idea, it's really risky. There's a reason we haven't seen a lot of it. What I think they should do is continue what they've been doing, which is securing limited game exclusivity from a wide range of publishers and bringing smaller studios into the fold that make sense, like Bluepoint. This is a flexible strategy and it's been working well for them. Microsoft pulled the rug out from under them on Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop; those franchises are essentially DOA now, but games like FF16 and Remake Part II are still going to be absolutely massive. I suspect there's more of these types of big hits coming down the pike, as Microsoft is unlikely to contest with the recent 7.5bn for Bethesda. They're basically spent, and somehow I doubt they'll be spending more (esp if it's not to completely own) until they see some ROI. This could be precisely why Sony has been able to secure the exclusives they have; divergent strategies. But that leaves Sony with pick of the litter; if GTA6 is exclusive even for a year, it essentially undoes this entire Zenimax deal for a generation in terms of impact.

I see what you're saying but that's all very short term stuff. A single timed exclusive here, a single timed exclusive there is good stuff, but in a few years Microsoft is going to be pumping out a first party game every 1-2 months forever.

Sony needs to get to that point too, and fast. The only way to do that is to acquire a publisher that already has the infrastructure to put out several games per year. Sony is working on growing their own studios, which is great, but they still are only at the point of having 3-4 big games per year, let alone 10-12.

They can't put all their eggs in the basket of hoping that their third party partners will remain independent and open to timed exclusivity.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
They can succeed until half 2020 and then failed the other half
And that's what we are witnessing since PS5 showcase

There is no doubt PS5 will be a success during its first few months but it will be thanks to Layden leadership during PS4 generation

With all the games planned for launch and for 2021, Sony should have more goodwill than we are seeing right now.
If it's not the case, it's because of bad messaging/communication/marketing

Explain to me how it would be thanks to Layden who did not even run things for long .
Sony has a ton of good will , if you basing good will on here you in a bubble .

Oct 24, 2019
Wow the other thread has a rally of posts wanting MS to buy up Sega lol. Even on twitter it is bizarre to see how positive most people are about MS's expedition of major I.Ps.

If that happened I wonder if we will still get posts of people saying Sony should not respond and instead buy low non I.P holding studios instead?

If the last acquisition wasn't a wake up call for some, you'd think if Sega got bought up then some would finally see the picture.

Again not doom and gloom since people think every post has to be black and white but a MS with Sega would be an Iconic Xbox platform and Sony would have to counter by getting iconic acquisitions as well in order to be as aggressive as MS.

Imagine Yakuza being only for Xbox and PC? Would be crazy to see but I wouldn't be shocked with how MS is being so full force .

It would be a pretty big hit to those "Sony doesn't need to make a JRPG because they have Persona as an exclusive" posts.

Honestly Sega would be the one publisher I wouldn't be sad to see Microsoft acquire lol. They already snatched up my 2nd favorite publisher, so Sega would be a relief if that's who they went after.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
yep i agree wholly with this. I dont like mergers and acquisitions unless there is a great great great fit. What they are doing is way less risky to ruin them, and 7.5 billion could pretty much secure them exclusive rights on nearly 75 100 million dollar games around the industry if they wanted. or also fund their own projects.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You can open up studios.

Building teams from the ground up is extremely, extremely difficult and not something you would spend several billion dollars just to do.

Like if you're buying a publisher it's to have immediate access to their developers and their IP, not "okay we bought them now we need to wait four years while this team we made spins up so it can make a Metal Gear in three more years". The generation would be over before they release even one game.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
i agree that Sony should give us some news at the very least. don't know, BC running, UI... anything really.

Personally I don't think they're doing either. Konami would be a terrible buyout investment. They have almost no developers left so Sony would be paying probably a few billion bucks for a bunch of unused IP that Sony themselves don't have the teams to support.

Sony have no shortage of teams and they have the money to simply open more, tho.

Donqui

May 31, 2020
Yes. All Sony executives and top managers of their studios have not Tweeted anything since the acquisition. I think there were many meetings until dawn yesterday;)
Yeah, i can imagine the situation at the sony HQ 😂

youtu.be

Hitler reacts to Microsoft buying Bethesda

Hitler reacts to news Microsoft has announced it will acquire ZeniMax Media, the parent company of Bethesda, id Software, Arkane Studios, MachineGames, Tango...

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020

Imagine Yakuza being only for Xbox and PC? Would be crazy to see but I wouldn't be shocked with how MS is being so full force .

I think they will have a special deal (Gamepass), but I highly doubt Microsoft will buy Sega. It is a very different situation from Zenimax, since it is a Japanese company and it's public.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
At this point everything will be owned by MS,
I think Sony waits until October to continue giving more information and reveals about the PS5.

I feel like i'm reading this since February.
At this point i won't be surprised if the first look i have at the PS5s UI is when i buy it, lmao.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They shows games for the next 18 months , you know the reason why people buy console .
Why not do both? It's long overdue.
For me searching agreements with the shareholders, and simply buy the company, sounds like 2 big differences.

In germany vodafone bought forcefully a public traded cellphone carrier.
They offered almost double the price of every share to shareholders.
Maybe sony can do that.
The Vodafone story was a super weird story here in germany. But yeah, as I've said, Sony has the money to get them. And now is the time to go big. Competition is firing shots, more rivals are entering the industry and your marketshare is in danger. Now is the time to invest, to stay on top. It's long overdue for SIE, after Sony already spend multi-billions for Sony Music, Sony Pictures, Sony Financial Unit, etc.
Let's see what happens.

Deleted member 15973

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Building teams from the ground up is extremely, extremely difficult and not something you would spend several billion dollars just to do.

Like if you're buying a publisher it's to have immediate access to their developers and their IP, not "okay we bought them now we need to wait four years while this team we made spins up so it can make a Metal Gear in three more years". The generation would be over before they release even one game.
You can partner up with Studio's like From Software with Castlevania, Level 5 Suikoden, Team Gravity SIlent Hill etc.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly Sega would be the one publisher I wouldn't be sad to see Microsoft acquire lol. They already snatched up my 2nd favorite publisher, so Sega would be a relief if that's who they went after.
same if that was the last big one (maybe even Bungie too) I'd be fine with letting Sega go

and I can see Sega being naturally part of the Xbox ecosystem

it would just mean though that Sony would have to actually be as aggressive but that time has long since passed

Bundy if MS got Sega then Sony would have to get Square and Capcom.

imagine if they got Sumo instead? A tragedy 😂🤣

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
It's really weird that Bethesda acquisition biggest consequence wasn't being a win for MS, but being a loss to Sony.
I mean, yeah, that's the whole point of third party acquisitions.
If you value "60fps" at launch buy on PC, if not get it on PS5 and wait for the patch.
I am expecting 60FPS at launch. A reminder of what they said :
On the subject of Cyberpunk 2077 being playable on PS5 and Xbox Series X, the company said that the current-gen game will be playable on those consoles at launch with a next-gen patch that adds some improvements based on the horsepower of those consoles. "It will look better on next-generation consoles," the company said. However, a "more robust update" will come later. This next-gen edition will be free for everyone who bought Cyberpunk 2077 on PS4 or Xbox One. The full details on the upgrade scheme, however, have not been announced.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Sony have no shortage of teams and they have the money to simply open more, tho.

Again, opening teams is not easy. It's not a magic wand you can just wave. You need people, you need a location, you need a corporate culture and vision, that shit doesn't just happen overnight. It really doesn't make sense to buy Konami just so you then have to turn around to spend EVEN MORE MONEY building teams to support the IP Konami wasn't using.

I'm sorry :( Hopefully there is some good news that'll help cheer you up soon.

Me too. I'm so tired of everything feeling like shit all the time. I need some sunshine.

You can partner up with Studio's like From Software with Castlevania, Level 5 Suikoden, Team Gravity SIlent Hill etc.

Why would From Software sign up to develop an exclusive Castlevania game for Sony? Why would Level-5 bother making a Suikoden? Those IP need developers way more than those developers need abandoned Konami IP.

Deleted member 15973

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again, opening teams is not easy. It's not a magic wand you can just wave. You need people, you need a location, you need a corporate culture and vision, that shit doesn't just happen overnight. It really doesn't make sense to buy Konami just so you then have to turn around to spend EVEN MORE MONEY building teams to support the IP Konami wasn't using.

Me too. I'm so tired of everything feeling like shit all the time. I need some sunshine.

Why would From Software sign up to develop an exclusive Castlevania game for Sony? Why would Level-5 bother making a Suikoden? Those IP need developers way more than those developers need abandoned Konami IP.
I'm just giving examples. Why would they make Bloodborne?

Oct 31, 2017
Recent events are directly related to Sony and first party studios. PlayStation went from larges to by far the smallest content creator in big 3 in last few years.
No mater how great the top studios are, Sony's biggest games sell 10-15m, not 40-50m+ and each studio produces at most 2 AAA games per generation, not to mention VR support with dedicated teams.

It's really not so legitimate that it's the constant topic for several years running.

If you think Playstation is now the smallest content creator in the last few years, you haven't compared the output of the Big 3. And in terms of number of studios, how did Sony "by far" become the smallest compared to Nintendo?

Besides Minecraft (which was already selling prior to purchase), what exactly did MS create this gen or put a sequel out for that sold 40-50m+ and how many sold comparably to The Last of Us, God of War, or Spider-Man?

Status
Not open for further replies.