• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I am fine with Jim. It is too early to conclude what his reign entails seeing as most of the stuff that has come out, etc... are still via Layden's era.

Sure there is bumps in messaging but no other SIE head had to deal with COVID.

In a few months though I'd be able to access it more fairly.

Oct 24, 2019
Speaking of FUD, I didn't realize the last thread was dead when I posted--

Are we allowed to start reporting people for excessive fearmongering about publisher acquisitions? There's lots of rational discussion to be had about Microsoft's move and what Sony can do to counter it, but posts like "it's all overrrrrr, Sony had a good run but now they've been curbstomped into dust by Papa Thanos with his Infinity Warchest, there's literally nothing Sony can do to recover now" are annoying & tedious, and also frankly come off as trolling

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am fine with Jim. It is too early to conclude what his reign entails seeing as most of the stuff that has come out, etc... are still via Layden's era.

Sure there is bumps in messaging but no other SIE head had to deal with COVID.

In a few months though I'd be able to access it more fairly.
Jim's first 1 1/2 years sure weren't great. He needs to learn when to say something and how.
Andrew House was the champ. Jim needs to check how Andrew said/did things and adapt.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Per handshake? Yeah, not going to happen. I agree. Buying a huge gaming company because they have the money and need more 1st party studios and content to stay on top and fight off the competition? Should be a nice discussion for quite some time. Let's see what happens.

How will they buy a company with a free float of about 40-70%, and big shareholders with about 8-11% shares?
Capcom, Sega and SE will not happen...
If something like that will happen then it takes about 4 years.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Are we allowed to start reporting people for excessive fearmongering about publisher acquisitions? There's lots of rational discussion to be had about Microsoft's move and what Sony can do to counter it, but posts like "it's all overrrrrr, Sony had a good run but now they've been curbstomped into dust by Papa Thanos with his Infinity Warchest, there's literally nothing Sony can do to recover now" are annoying & tedious, and also frankly come off as trolling
If it's blatant trolling, sure.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
There are so many great studios and cheap out there:
- larian
- 4a games
- Bluepoint
- Kojima pro
- sumo
- arrowhead
- housemarquee

2 more expensive but no crazy expensive:
- remedy
- codemasters

But probably Sony will sleep until is too late

Oct 31, 2017
sure most people are implying it. the doom and gloom is unbereable.

And nonstop for years, let's be honest.

Could you imagine that we don't even talk about freaking God of War 2 coming next year because of all the bad news which dropped right after the event...

It'd be nice to talk about it.... and this thread would be a nice place to talk about it. But it's made unbearable every time MS does anything. Or even doesn't do anything. We haven't stopped talking about how they're doomed for years; talks are nothing but acquisitions and how MS is outmaneuvering them. When people want to talk about first party, it's drowned out completely because it's hard to keep up when we get page after page on the inner workings of Sony instead of their studios.

The acquisition of Bethesda is legitimately a loss for Sony because this stuff was coming to Xbox anyway, but it still has nothing to do with Sony's first party studios.

I saw Chuck795 Loudninja --R Pai Pai Master Rover_ get2sammyb Chris Metal bryanee AngelOFDeath Carmelozi either express exhaustion over it or try to change the subject, and maybe they have a different opinion, but my view is:

This isn't a Sony First Party Thread. It's a Sony Corporate Strategy thread most of the time as Sony First Party is drowned out. We should either rename the thread or make a separate one for fans of Sony Corp in general.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017

lol I mean if Sony did nothing they'd be fine. Their first party is that good but in the long term (not doom and gloom as some believe it would be) you'd have to counter future acquisitions with your own.

Since your competitor would be increasing their own value while decreasing at least in terms of third party output, your own for key hardcore genres.

Xbox's value has gone up, there is no denying that. If you want to be competitive you have to increase your own quality too.

and I mean aggressive competitive, if you don't then sure you won't crash and burn but you want exponentially grow like what happened with MS overnight

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How will they buy a company with a free float of about 40-70%, and big shareholders with about 8-11% shares?
Capcom, Sega and SE will not happen...
If something like that will happen then it takes about 4 years.
Square-Enix or Capcom can and should happen. Sony even looked after a Fox acquisition. Look how many billions Sony invested in the last years to strengthen Sony Music, Sony Pictures, their Financial Unit, etc. Hell even Nvidia said "screw it" and is going to buy ARM for $40 billion.
Sony has the money. As I already said, PlayStation/SIE is their most important brand/division. Now is the time to invest BIG to stay on top and not lose marketshare.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Yeah, it's really like Sony just lost an entire genre going into next-gen.
I have a similar feeling. While its true that some Bethesda games will still come out for PS5, I dont like the idea of say Doom 5 (example) comes out but Doom 6 is Xbox/PC only. Then you basically split the user base with those who can keep enjoying the series and those who can't. When that happens I just don't bother with the series anymore on said console and likely just shift to say XB/PC for those titles. (No real reason to invest in a franchise where you'll hit a dead end)

So short term, Sony will be ok but its the long term game they've lost with Bethesda.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Jim's first 1 1/2 years sure weren't great. He needs to learn when to say something and how.
Andrew House was the champ. Jim needs to check how Andrew said/did things and adapt.
yeah House was the champ at handling PR/etc... Layden wasn't bad too.

Jimbo fumbles when he does interviews. He always did even back when he was in charge of EU

huggyhomer

Dec 14, 2018
With how much money Microsoft is throwing around, I wonder if they have approached Kojima for an exclusive game? I know its likely he working on something for Sony or Epic, but it wouldn't surprise me is Xbox has tried.

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
Sony's problem has not been its communication but Microsoft's unlimited money. The Japanese government should put barriers to possible Microsoft purchases of its companies, since the others can be in a very bad position, which will be very bad for their economy.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020

sure we can try, don't know if mods will do anything tbh.

yeah but it's always latent with next gen coming but the news yesterday is on levels i've never seen. the OT was legit a safe space and now it's gone.

Yep, I'm out.
This is a thread about Sony's studios who are set to deliver probably the best first year in Sony history, on a console that's selling out everywhere no less, but that's not what people are talking about.

basically, in a few months everything will go back to normal. Ps5 is on track to smash Ps4 launch in every possible way, also on the most important one: games.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I get what you're saying but we really don't know what won't be coming over. We don't know that MS and Sony might come to a deal and continue to have those games on the platform. Existing games catalog hasn't been pulled from the PS store, we know two are coming. The question is ES, Fallout and Starfield, all led by a guy and his studio that produce questionable quality and massively buggy games.

So right now, I'm not feeling a huge loss. The Doom DLC is still coming too.
I highly doubt that anything besides Ghostwire and Deathloop are coming in the future, maybe there will be exceptions, but it's gonna be few.
It doesn't make sense, as I said, one of the reasons for this type of acquisition is to hurt the competition, I won't trust on Phil's goodwill on this one.

And about Bethesda's quality, I have to agree to an extent, everyone knows that their quality was in a decline, and if they are indeed changing NOTHING(like Phil and Todd are saying), I don't see why this is going change, but there aren't games like Bethesda games, as buggy as they are and as worse they are becoming(compared to the older games at least).

And then you have Arkane, ID software, Tango gameworks....these ones are big losses(or wins, depending on the POV).

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Square-Enix or Capcom can and should happen. Sony even looked after a Fox acquisition. Look how many billions Sony invested in the last years to strengthen Sony Music, Sony Pictures, their Financial Unit, etc. Hell even Nvidia said "screw it" and is going to buy ARM for $40 billion.
Sony has the money. As I already said, PlayStation/SIE is their most important brand/division. Now is the time to invest BIG to stay on top and not lose marketshare.

ARM wasn't publicly traded ...
Zenimax wasn't publicly traded...

well, ... let us dream...

Raigor

May 14, 2020
- larian
- 4a games
- Bluepoint
- Kojima pro
- sumo
- arrowhead
- housemarquee

- remedy
- codemasters

4A Games is owned by Deep Silver
Sumo Digital is a public company with over 7 studios and they are worth at least £300m

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I saw @Chuck795 @Loudninja @--R @Pai Pai Master @Rover_ @get2sammyb @Chris Metal @bryanee @AngelOFDeath @Carmelozi either express exhaustion over it or try to change the subject, and maybe they have a different opinion, but my view is:

This isn't a Sony First Party Thread. It's a Sony Corporate Strategy thread most of the time as Sony First Party is drowned out.

I have no problem with the acquisition talk but it's the low-effort incessant doomposting and the obvious cross-post ribbing from other communities with stuff like "MS should buy ____ to rub salt in the wound" and "big jim asleep at the wheel lol" mentalities . I personally feel the staff post in the last thread was ignored quite a bit yesterday but didn't have the energy to bother reporting much, just beefed up my ignore list.

Like i'm sorry to make an example of anyone but this:

is not an insightful or unique take and doesn't add much to discussion. if you're gonna keep talking about acquisition & future business strategies at least put effort into it so people actually want to engage in constructive discussion.

I don't wanna keep complaining & adding to the negativity here tho so I'll just say:

51 days until 60fps demon slaying & web-swinging 😃😃😃

Oct 24, 2019
lol I mean if Sony did nothing they'd be fine. Their first party is that good but in the long term (not doom and gloom as some believe it would be) you'd have to counter future acquisitions with your own.

Since your competitor would be increasing their own value while decreasing at least in terms of third party output, your own for key hardcore genres.

Xbox's value has gone up, there is no denying that. If you want to be competitive you have to increase your own quality too.

and I mean aggressive competitive, if you don't then sure you won't crash and burn but you want exponentially grow like what happened with MS overnight

I don't disagree, I think practically it's what needs to happen for Sony even if I don't like this path the industry is going down.

But there's a big difference between level-headed discussions about how Sony can/should adapt and the pointless fear mongering that just passes off Sony's "imminent demise" as fact

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
As a Playstation fan I'm not particulary interested with big aquisition. I like the way they doing it right now - step by step, project by project working with smaller studios like Bluepoint, Housemarque etc. building them to be bigger and more fitted in Playstation brand.

Right now I more worried what Microsoft next move. With all their money they can buy almost every one. I can stand Bethesda (it's not my favourite publisher), but losing Sega or Capcom would be devastating. The same with studios like CD Projekt Red.
yeah i agree. partnerships have a way better success rate than just acquiring companies out right, way less shit you have to deal with. Sony could even just get equity in these companies to help protect them from acquisition as well there are many ways for them to work with these things. People really dont understand the challenge at MS door now with all these acquisitions, and i do expect there will be fallout from it as some studios may seem redundant. There def will be people going off to form their own companies after this as well.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
It could be they didn't look up what 8chan was when they chose it (maybe mixing it up with 4chan). I for example didn't know what 8chan was until after that scandal.

Except for that 8chan thing (very bad move of course) I haven't really seen Embracer Group do anything but I can ofcourse have missed it.

I think 8chan was already delisted from Google back then. You don't just stumble on that. But there are probably people who are more knowledgeable about what went down with THQ Nordic than me.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just noticed Playstation Twitter went dead silent after the Minecraft tweet. They are usually trigger happy with them.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure Sony will be fine, but I'm betting they wanted to do their planned acquisitions at a slow and steady pace, and the timetable for these has bumped up dramatically following yesterday's news.

On topic of first party games (Those pesky things!) I have TLOU2, Ghost, Wipeout Omega, and Dreams on my PS4 along with DMC4SE, DMC5, Resident Evil 2, and Yakuza 0. What's a good, smaller scale first party I could get to compliment the stuff I have? Ratchet and Clank maybe?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
anyway I think this convo needs to die now, we've talked about it ad nauseum. Hope we get some cool PS UI news or BC news in the next week.

Oct 1, 2019
They can succeed until half 2020 and then failed the other half
And that's what we are witnessing since PS5 showcase

There is no doubt PS5 will be a success during its first few months but it will be thanks to Layden leadership during PS4 generation

With all the games planned for launch and for 2021, Sony should have more goodwill than we are seeing right now.
If it's not the case, it's because of bad messaging/communication/marketing

Price increase of games, no free upgrade talk, no clear backward compatibility talk during a show for general audience, PS4 SKU of games contradict the "vision" claimed during June event throw shade to the good things

• 74.99€ instead 79.99€ would have been more understandable
    • Especially Sony with huge PS Store revenues, they should have been the last company to do a price increase but whatever
  • A slide about BC during PS5 showcase would have been enough and avoid headlines like "PS5 is confirmed not BC to PS1/PS2/PS3"
  • Say straight that you believe in generations and therefore there will be PS5 exclusive since launch but you think about PS4 customers and and they are important for you (Sony) so you decide to do a Miles PS4, Horizon PS4 for those who can't spend $400 to upgrade next gen but these games will have a free upgrade when you decide to move to nex-gen
They could have done this so much better and they failed miserably

I may seem harsh but they did so stupid things
Could you imagine that we don't even talk about freaking God of War 2 coming next year because of all the bad news which dropped right after the event...
You know things would be different around here if Sony shared some information we have been requesting for months now. Not even a little crumb will they share about the system.

If we had OS, BC, feature updates, we could have better discussion.

All we are left to discuss is the bombshell from MS.

Really not too hot on Sony's leadership. I'm hoping the restructuring is for the best but so far the only good thing that I've seen in the console price and I guess part of it is to compete with MS. Got a tiny feeling before the xbox leaks they had different prices in mind.

Not only that but their latest showcase felt muddied by the weirdest messaging. Trailers having PC mentioned but removed on the re-upload version, no actual release date mentioned on the trailers for launch titles (Imagine the release date after the latest Miles trailer? After the Demon's Souls trailer?) Why did we get updates from Keighley and others via social media not Sony directly?

I just watched the EZ Allies reaction vid and halfway through they display their confusion on launch dates for games and getting preorder info from Keighley. While it was funny now, its stupid the way it was handled while this was live.

Sony has got to get their stuff together. Maybe they do behind the scenes but their messaging is sure lacking right now.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't disagree, I think practically it's what needs to happen for Sony even if I don't like this path the industry is going down.

But there's a big difference between level-headed discussions about how Sony can/should adapt and the pointless fear mongering that just passes off Sony's "imminent demise" as fact
oh well I just accepted doom posts to be a common feature of forum talk

anything leads to that when another company does something Sony or anyone else didn't do

same for the MS camp

if one of them did the price first and the other hasn't then we would see doom posts about messaging, etc...

bigger news leads to even more posts like such

Chuck795

May 7, 2020

It'd be nice to talk about it.... and this thread would be a nice place to talk about it. But it's made unbearable every time MS does anything. Or even doesn't do anything. We haven't stopped talking about how they're doomed for years; talks are nothing but acquisitions and how MS is outmaneuvering them. When people want to talk about first party, it's drowned out completely because it's hard to keep up when we get page after page on the inner workings of Sony instead of their studios.

The acquisition of Bethesda is legitimately a loss for Sony because this stuff was coming to Xbox anyway, but it still has nothing to do with Sony's first party studios.

I saw Chuck795 Loudninja --R Pai Pai Master Rover_ get2sammyb Chris Metal bryanee AngelOFDeath Carmelozi either express exhaustion over it or try to change the subject, and maybe they have a different opinion, but my view is:

This isn't a Sony First Party Thread. It's a Sony Corporate Strategy thread most of the time as Sony First Party is drowned out. We should either rename the thread or make a separate one for fans of Sony Corp in general.

I totally agree, I couldn't care less about Sony and Microsoft's bottomline. I just came here to talk about 1st and 2nd party studios/games.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
4A Games is owned by Deep Silver
Sumo Digital is a public company with over 7 studios and they are worth at least £300m
Really cheap compared to 7.5 bi. Sony could buy all I listed with 2 billion probably including remedy and codemasters.

Bethesda costs are much more about ips and engine(Id tech) than studios and staff.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
You guys talk about this stuff like is a sport.
I wish I had the energy.

I just want a more steady flow of news, every time Sony shows up it's exciting but then you're left with no clue of when they'll share anything again.

It's like this father that you love but doesn't live with you and comes to visit just a few times in a year with cool presents.

Be a good father, Sony.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Really cheap compared to 7.5 bi. Sony could buy all I listed with 2 billion probably including remedy and codemasters.

Bethesda costs are much more about ips and engine(Id tech) than studios and staff.

Zenimax was INCREDIBLY cheap.

CDPR is valued more than Zenimax with less IPs, less engines, talent and studios
Square Enix is slightly more expensive than Zenimax and their biggest asset is Final Fantasy.

If Zenimax was public, they could've sold the company for way more.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah House was the champ at handling PR/etc... Layden wasn't bad too.
Jimbo fumbles when he does interviews. He always did even back when he was in charge of EU
Yep. Even back when he was the boss of SCEE he talked some BS in his interviews.
Dude needs to learn when to stop / when to not say certain things.
ARM wasn't publicly traded ...
Zenimax wasn't publicly traded...
well, ... let us dream...
Why does it matter if they're publicly traded or not? They can still be bought.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
- larian
- 4a games
- Bluepoint
- Kojima pro
- sumo
- arrowhead
- housemarquee

- remedy
- codemasters

THQ bought 4A about 2 months ago.
Sumo is also more than just a game studio.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any truth to the rumor that sega is being bought?
just people looking at tweets indicating it is rumblings, and that podcast saying there are two more acquisitions followed by conspiracy theory tweets about Xbox's controller tweet and I believe Max Booty wearing a Sonic shirt in their last video event 😂

Still conspiracy aside anything is possible so who the hell knows in this day and age

I wouldn't be shocked if MS bought Sega

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony's problem has not been its communication but Microsoft's unlimited money. The Japanese government should put barriers to possible Microsoft purchases of its companies, since the others can be in a very bad position, which will be very bad for their economy.
Oh God, is this another Square Enix culture post? Please let's not go down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.