• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 20, 2019
Yeah, so ultimately I could easily see Microsoft basically outbidding any publically traded company that Sony tries to go after.

Not really, Microsoft whouldnt buy every single company on the planet that Sony would go after because the value of a company is not the same for one that is for another.

Capcom for example is a company that Sony whould put more value over that Microsoft whould so i could see a scenario where Sony whould spend more money tht Microsoft.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah maybe right now Sony corp is talking about this but if Sega was taken from them they'd have to actually prioritize PS over any other section when using that 30billion funds

they would be silly to look at a big cash cow like they had with other things way back (The Walkman, etc...) and then decide to do nothing
Yep. Now is the time to invest. Like I said many times, you invest when you're on top. To get bigger and stronger and stay on top. You don't wait until shit goes down. Sony has the money. And after today, they have to go big.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Better mentally prepare yourself in losing certain key third party franchises then to be punched in the face later.

It is like one with their finances right before they have to pay their bills. Better to assume you never had the money to begin with.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really want to see publishers being bought up, I feel that, as consumers, it is best for us that they remain separate, regardless of what consoles you are a fan of.
I think this is plainly true, yeah. The unfortunate thing is that by purchasing a publisher as huge as Zenimax MS has changed the game. If Sony doesn't do something to counter this strategy MS will be able to essentially starve Sony of third party games.

And more unfortunately I think the easiest counter is for Sony to attempt buying publishers of their own, as shitty as that is. I do hope they find another way though.

I'm still not convinced that MS will be able to maintain this huge stable of first party developers, and that gives me hope that this strategy will simply fail.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Sega or Bungie aside, I do see MS still aiming for another big one in the coming months. They likely won't just end it here. They have a mission and they showed their resolve and dedication to it.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really want to see publishers being bought up, I feel that, as consumers, it is best for us that they remain separate, regardless of what consoles you are a fan of.
This ship has sailed already. This is a buyers market now. The big companies realized how big the gaming industry has become.
Now is the time to go big for Sony. You don't wait until MS, Tencent, Amazon, Facebook Google, etc. bought everything and you have nothing left.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
They will do nothing on the short term. It is still the most populair gaming brand, and PS5 will sell like hotcakes..

if all sony is doing is thinking short term, then i worry about my ps5 purchase and the longevity of platform ecosystem...

frankly speaking, not investing in extensive backward compatibility and asking existing customers to rebuy spiderman remaster are 2 prime examples of the lack of foresight by jim ryan. it makes me wary buying their game now because of i don't know whether said game can carry through to nextgen and whether sony will charge me again for another remaster of a 2yo game.

it's one thing for a 3rd party like capcom/505 to do it, but for a platform holder, for shame (nintendo is another one). Way to reward your free 'brand advocates' by charging them even more money.

i know company are all for profit and not anyone's friend...but nickel & dime them just because you can for some short term revenue and while ignoring long term strategic moves......way to go, sony...

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
This ship has sailed already. This is a buyers market now. The big companies realized how big the gaming industry has become.
Now is the time to go big for Sony. You don't wait until MS, Tencent, Amazon, Facebook Google, etc. bought everything and you have nothing left.

Sony Pictures literally slept 20 years and lost so many opportunities. First with Marvel, then with MGM. They even lost 007 deal to Universal.

It will be shameful, if they repeat that.

OddRonald

Jul 31, 2020
Tbh I thought skyrim and fallout 4 were on the weaker side of their entries, I still put at least 50 hours into both but I didn't enjoy it as much as older titles, I'll be a little envious if elder scrolls 6/fallout 5 looks amazing but at the same time I have so many playstation exclusives I've never played as well as plenty of third party titles I've yet to play like doom eternal, red dead 2 and dishonoured 2 so I'll be kept busy with all of those for yonks

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Yep. Now is the time to invest. Like I said many times, you invest when you're on top. To get bigger and stronger and stay on top. You don't wait until shit goes down. Sony has the money. And after today, they have to go big.

Sony knew this was coming.
It wasn't a surprise for them.

I'm sure they have multiple deals happening. Most of them as usual never get done...but i'm sure they aren't just sitting around.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017

I'm sure they have multiple deals happening. Most of them as usual never get done...but i'm sure they aren't just sitting around.
I believe like MS they tossed a wide net just to see what may work or what might not but now with MS's actions and if they toss in another one down the line, Sony will be more serious in the bidding wars as well as with bigger companies.

Or they might not do anything. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We shall see. The landscape has changed and there is no way to reverse it.

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People understimate Sony so much. You know, the market leader for decades.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony Pictures literally slept 20 years and lost so many opportunities. First with Marvel, then with MGM. They even lost 007 deal to Universal.
It will be shameful, if they repeat that.
Exactly. I already mentioned this yesterday :D They were too late with Sony Pictures, they were too late with the Walkman, they fucked up with From Software / Souls, etc.
Yesterday has to be a wake up call.
I hope those "deals" are big acquisitions and not "timed exclusive" deals. I hope they aren't sitting around. But hey, I mean.... we still haven't seen the PS5 UI or what the Create Button on the controller does, while the PS5 will launch in a few weeks.
Time to wake up, Sony.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

The problem is that gamers have not managed to put aside platform wars and react to such deals (including moneyhats) as a unit. Every time a deal gets announced, whether it is a moneyhat or a buyout, there is a small group of people that is against it and a very large group of people that will actively cheer for it if it benefits their preferred platform. With such division among customers there is practically zero pushback, so deals will keep happening. This is what I said back in August.

Paying money to remove a game from a different platform isn't the kind of competition that customers should root for. You want companies to compete with each other by offering better hardware, better services, better prices, better first-party software or all of the above. A moneyhatted 'exclusive' gives you nothing that you wouldn't be getting anyway while it hurts gamers on other platforms and it stumps a franchise's potential. Cheering for such an 'exclusive' is sure to come around and bite you in the ass later as a different company will inevitably do the same and lock down a game that you were interested in.

And boy did it. Now, customers presenting a united front against exclusivity deals and buyouts may not have been enough to stop them anyway, but widespread backlash could plausibly push at least some of those deals from "we'll get flak but it's worth it" to "perhaps we'd better not".

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
It was expected, but alas market will go further and further to oligolopy. I'm not really excited about that.

My first thought when I saw the Bethesda X Microsoft news was: the Internet is going to be hell for months.
Oh yeah, and it won't stop until major publishers are acquired, unfortunately. Tiring months awaits us on top the next-gen launch.

Oct 31, 2017
Well this topic is already insufferable so good job with that.
My first thought when I saw the Bethesda X Microsoft news was: the Internet is going to be hell for months.
Told you...

I come back on for the new OT, same talks. Honestly tiresome. Was gonna do some PS5 design mockups but I really can't be bothered.

I've posted on these threads on and off for a few years, and I've come to the conclusion that Sony first party fans don't know how to enjoy what they have, especially if it's a lot. Even when you have a year like 2018, I actually encountered someone on this board early 2019 who said, "don't tell me sony releases a lot of games i haven't seen them release anything since stepember!!1" Because that's where the goal posts moved -- yeah, they released a lot the last year, but what about the last three months are they sleeping?

Oct 30, 2017
And the same happens in Europe. In fact MS has been fined in the past because of Windows. Same for Apple. You can just buy yourself into a monopoly and get to dictate the prices, there needs to be competition.
Microsoft is lightyears away from a monopoly in the gaming industry. They can buy all the studios/publishers they want and they won't have regulatory problems.

Because big players like Sony/Nintendo/EA/Activision/Tencent exist. There's no monopoly. There's enough competition.

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
Exactly. I already mentioned this yesterday :D They were too late with Sony Pictures, they were too late with the Walkman, they fucked up with From Software / Souls, etc.
Yesterday has to be a wake up call.

I hope those "deals" are big acquisitions and not "timed exclusive" deals. I hope they aren't sitting around. But hey, I mean.... we still haven't seen the PS5 UI or what the Create Button on the controller does, while the PS5 will launch in a few weeks.
Time to wake up, Sony.

In late 2018 Sony Pictures definitely said they want to expand. Since then they acquired Silvergate Media and Eleven (Sex Education), but i have a feeling that Sony was planning potential merger with CBSViacom (Paramount, Nickelodeon) or an offer for Paramount Pictures. They were definitely looking for Crunchyroll.

Sony can easily buy Square-Enix or Capcom. Let's not forget that Nvidia had 12 bn cash on hand and still made a 40 bn purchase of ARM.

Tiago Rodrigues

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Time to wake up, Sony.

It's hilarious how these consoles are available to be pre-ordered and we barely have seen anything besides games from Sony and MS have barely shown games running on their Series X, lmao.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
So, have you guys heard of Microsoft buying Bethesda?
tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.