• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
I am surprised Sony don't have an "All Access" equivalent. Whatever about cheaper consoles, being able to spread that out and in theory the console with the service working out cheaper is very enticing for a lot of people I imagine

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How did Sony go from a 400 BOM to 450 BOM. To now going for a retail price of 550-650 dollar and increasing the volume to 10mil? This doesn't even make any sense.

How much did Sony mess up? With it also struggling with 1080p/60 fps. Heads are going to roll /s

Oct 25, 2017
Dudes, if you think PS5 is $549.99, I got mansions in America to sell you for pennies.

Hit me up with your credit card and social security info.

Jan 4, 2018
Sony vs the internet right now:
giphy.gif

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
How did Sony go from a 400 BOM to 450 BOM. To now going for a retail price of 550-650 dollar and increasing the volume to 10mil? This doesn't even make any sense.

How much did Sony mess up? With it also struggling with 1080p/60 fps. Heads are going to roll /s
Folks aren't using their brain here.

Doubling production volume to 10 million and the stated goal of shifting users to next gen faster than ever should have killed the ridiculous price speculation but alas, "sources".

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
A PS4 Pro sells right now in Japan for 66.000 yen. I won't put into question that might be the price over there, but it's not going to cost as much in the West.
Is this true? the last thing I could find about it was a blog post on the Sony Japan blog announcing them dropping the PS4 Pro price down to 39,980 Yen. I see them for 66,000 on Amazon.jp, but it seems to be third party sellers, so idunno if that's the usual price?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Wasnt ps4 381$ BoM, and they sold it for 399$/€
yeah it was.
looking at just PS3 and Ps4
Ps3: 241.35 between $306.85 loss on each console(499 one cost them more) (Took 3+years to make somewhat)
Ps4: while cost was under 381, maybe figure they lost 50 or more(ill just say maybe they lost 100 per console at start) (but became profitable in year 1)

I think the most Sony could afford to lose as a loss leader up front is about 100-150 max per console and be okay if they can reduces costs within the first year or so and i think if they manufacturing 10 million up front might say that they are taking advantage of component prices which might offset some losses the anticipated earlier in the year.

so if BOM for reg PS5 is 450 they might be able to price at 499 and be good and 399 for the digital and have some losses early but should be able depending on part prices and manufacturing efficiencies lessen the losses.

It all depends on what the BOM is. I dont see them touching anything lower than 399 for the DE. And i def dont see them any higher than 549 and thats a stretch to me. It really depends on what the XSX comes in at where if XSX sets a high enough ceiling they could match or come a little under.

its interesting that MS set this 299 price floor which might mean that the XSX might come in kind of high(although we have people reporting 499 which isn't confirmed yet) everything at least all will be revealed soon within this month i reckon.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Don't look at PS4 cost in Japan
It's out of stock/extreme low stock for last 3 months
Yeah this was my assumption.
It seems the RRP as of October 2018 for the PS4 Pro is 38,980 Yen, so Dusk's price range would be a fair bit more expensive.

That said I don't really trust Dusk on this one.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
uK8ZAl1.png

Those are the prices on Bic Camera right now. And there's no way PS5 is over 50k yen, let alone 60 to 70 thousand. Not even PS3 was that expensive.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
My actual suspicion is $549 USD, as was quoted here and can see the discussion. The range shared I've heard is 60,000 - 70,000 yen, which precisely in USD something like $565 USD to $660 USD. However, I suspect they'll go for $549 in USD and maybe to compete will go lower.

I don't know the final price, I don't know how this exactly will translated to USD, but I also know the yen ballpark I know isn't bullshit. If they go for $499 USD, then great. But I'm placing my bets on $549 USD and I don't think they can go lower than $500 really from what I've heard.

60000 Yen is also 480€.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
$549 and based on ¥ pricing? Lmao where is this crap coming from, it doesn't even make sense from fiscal projection standpoint.

Dec 4, 2017
London
Why are people so easily believing this $599 nonsense. I'll eat my hat if it's that much.

Anyone have any recommendations for marzipan hat retailers in the South London area?

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Some people lowkey want the PS5 to be $600. I guess they want things to keep from becoming too sided this gen. 👀

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Software wise Xbox One had a pretty good first couple of years with stuff like KI, Dead Rising, Sunset Overdrive, and TitanFall yet that didn't put a dent in PS4s market share. Series X first party software lineup for the first year or so looks absolutely dire. Personally I think MS is gonna get the breaks beat off of them again because they just don't have the exclusives. I just don't see what's changed for them to reclaim any sort of lost market share. They've had the cheapest console, most powerful console, and GamePass for almost three years now get Sony has only widened the lead. If you weren't sold on Xbox by now, what reason would you have to switch next gen?
The power of the Cloud! lol...but I mean, I do think If this was the strategy this gen, it would've worked better. An expensive platform and a cheaper one is generally a good idea, you are touching all sections of the market, and Series S just has a weaker GPU and less storage, otherwise a very capable platform for next gen. After X360 that strategy might have worked out quite a bit...but as I said this was the wrong gen to lose, I have over a hundred games in my digital library now and I'm kinda tied to my PSN at this point. Would take a huge blunder from Sony for me to Switch...

In the U.S where the biggest games are Call of Duty, GTA, Assassin's Creed and Sports titles though, I think it'll be a much more even race. They should both sell out at launch, but Spidey should help PS5 be a bit more desirable for the first few months. After the hardcore have their fill though, I think we'll see who's bets will pay off.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Is this true? the last thing I could find about it was a blog post on the Sony Japan blog announcing them dropping the PS4 Pro price down to 39,980 Yen. I see them for 66,000 on Amazon.jp, but it seems to be third party sellers, so idunno if that's the usual price?
It's true in the context you described; right now there's barely any supply for PS4 systems in Japan, the base model selling at almost 45.000 Yen by third-party stores fulfilled by Amazon. I guessed it wasn't the real price for any model, but Amazon's involvement is kind of puzzling in that regard.

I've been looking at other stores with no success. I'm afraid nobody is selling it for the official price at this moment (though it's correctly the one you said; that was also the price PS4 had on release back in 2013).

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
My sauces are telling me many delicious things. You are all wishing you had my sauces.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Everybody expected ps4 to be expensive sure to GDDR5.

Same things happening here I think. People think it's gonna be more expensive than the SX even though it had a lower BOM.

It just doesn't make sense, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.