• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Spidey, Horizon, God of War and whatever ND does next will be big sellers for PS5. Gran Turismo might be big again too with a huge campaign again and more casual appeal. Nintendo is first party king, but they do miss out on some big 3rd party stuff, so it kinda balances out having Switch/PS4. I think that combo will work really well again next gen.
Oh for sure. I've been doing the Playstation + Nintendo combo for 20 years lol. I never owned a PS1 (or a Wii U), but ever since I got a PS2 for Christmas in 2001 and then a Gamecube a couple years later, I've always thought they complement each other well. Plus I've always had a healthy dose of PC gaming on the side, mostly for sims and strategy games (my dad played a few PC games when I was younger, and Red Alert 2 really got me into strategy games. I probably played that plus the Yuri's Revenge expansion for hundreds of hours lol).

It's just frustrating that now that I finally have the funds to play pretty much anything I could want, I have less time than ever to actually play lol.

Phantom_Snake

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Montana
with Series S price and the date out, it's almost obvs that most of the info on that Windows Central leak was true, if that's the case then there is likely a chance that there is an Xbox event soon like next week basically confirming 499$ for XSX and after that its only matter days/weeks before Sony comes out and does the same. it will definitely be sooner rather than later.
Agreed. A Microsoft event seems highly likely for next week. The week after is TGS and I dont see Sony doing anything during that time. Last week of September/first week of October seems like the right time. They'll likely know what will be launching day 1 by then also.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
For real. Also unless insiders are being polite I highly doubt they know the price lol. If they did it would have come out a while ago. We only know the Series S price and release because it got leaked in an image lol.
i dont trust any one of them on price. that is held close to the chest and like you said it was because of a video and image.

JetroPT

Jun 11, 2019
Even Eric Lempel, Senior Vice President, PlayStation Worldwide Marketing, didn't know what the PS5 looked like before the final design was locked. That thing was like in a vault and Jim Ryan showed it to him.

Seems things like these are on a need to know basis. Only very few people at the very top of PS know.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
My actual suspicion is $549 USD, as was quoted here and can see the discussion. The range shared I've heard is 60,000 - 70,000 yen, which precisely in USD something like $565 USD to $660 USD. However, I suspect they'll go for $549 in USD and maybe to compete will go lower.

I don't know the final price, I don't know how this exactly will translated to USD, but I also know the yen ballpark I know isn't bullshit. If they go for $499 USD, then great. But I'm placing my bets on $549 USD and I don't think they can go lower than $500 really from what I've heard.

Oct 25, 2017
Even Eric Lempel, Senior Vice President, PlayStation Worldwide Marketing, didn't know what the PS5 looked like before the final design was locked. That thing was like in a vault and Jim Ryan showed it to him.

Seems things like these are on a need to know basis. Only very few people at the very top of PS know.

Jim Ryan no doubt will bet he one revealing the price at the end of whatever event.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I really don't get it, especially from people in the press who are paid to know better. At $600, Sony would be making a decent profit on each system sold. When have consoles (other than Nintendo) ever done this at launch? IIRC, Sony has always sold their hardware at a loss to start the gen.

Given what we've already known for ages about the hardware and BOM, I don't see how anything outside the $400-$500 range would make sense.
Yeah, it's remarkable the contradictory stuff they keep running with and tales from their asses with practically no critical thinking. The media and these insiders seem to just always be chugging that MS koolaid, I dunno if it's because they are US media or what, but it's like PS3-level rumor-mongering despite the PS4 delivering extremely well and everything about the PS5 pointing to them having if anything an even stronger games first focus than ever.

Honestly, the moment i saw that IGN report ps side doenst even know the games coming to ps is the moment i stop listing to them. You get better information on Twitter and Youtube that you get from news outlets.
Yeah, I don't see how it's so hard, especially since it's the main part of their job...

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Oh for sure. I've been doing the Playstation + Nintendo combo for 20 years lol. I never owned a PS1 (or a Wii U), but ever since I got a PS2 for Christmas in 2001 and then a Gamecube a couple years later, I've always thought they complement each other well. Plus I've always had a healthy dose of PC gaming on the side, mostly for sims and strategy games (my dad played a few PC games when I was younger, and Red Alert 2 really got me into strategy games. I probably played that plus the Yuri's Revenge expansion for hundreds of hours lol).

It's just frustrating that now that I finally have the funds to play pretty much anything I could want, I have less time than ever to actually play lol.
Sadly this is the course of life for most of us. We finally get money to play the games of our dreams, and now babies, rent, mortgages, economic recessions, and a whole host of adulting crowds out any free-time. Thankfully this year I've been working from home and able to get a lot more game time in.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine thinking that Sony would produce 10 M console in two quarters to sell them at 549. Not even Crazy Ken in his unleashed moment around 2005 - 2006 would do something like that.

Either the report from Nikkei and corroborated by Bloomberg (which also reported a 450 BOM) was false or 549 doesn't make any sense.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
My actual suspicion is $549 USD, as was quoted here and can see the discussion. The range shared I've heard is 60,000 - 70,000 yen, which precisely in USD something like $565 USD to $660 USD. However, I suspect they'll go for $549 in USD and maybe to compete will go lower.

I don't know the final price, I don't know how this exactly will translated to USD, but I also know the yen ballpark I know isn't bullshit. If they go for $499 USD, then great. But I'm placing my bets on $549 USD and I don't think they can go lower than $500 really from what I've heard.
Pretty interesting take. Personally, I think they have to 100% go lower. Being priced higher than a competing product while having objectively less technical specs in many areas means basically baiting the grim reaper in this industry. "Goodwill" and being a "Market Leader" can only take you so far, and can easily be wiped out by one misstep.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020

You heard from who?

Optmst

Apr 9, 2020

DE will be lower

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019

Thanks for the clarification.

I just don't think your source is right. $549 doesn't make sense from a business perspective. Sony would just take that $50 loss to reach $499. It's an immensely important price threshold.
Moreover, we know from Bloomberg and Zhuge that PS5 is cheaper to build than XSX, so no reason to sell it for more.

Jan 20, 2019

I understand your information Dusk

The problem is, Sony financial report states they expect to gain 4B in revenue and lose 600M in profit, so, unless the ps5 BOM is 550+, then the math doesnt check out, neither does the increase in production for 6M to 10M.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Also Sony has always been aggressive with pricing with all their console. If the BOM is indeed around 450 there is absolutely no way the PS5 will be 549.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Imagine thinking that Sony would produce 10 M console in two quarters to sell them at 549. Not even Crazy Ken in his unleashed moment around 2005 - 2006 would do something like that.

Either the report from Nikkei and corroborated by Bloomberg (which also reported a 450 BOM) was false or 549 doesn't make any sense.
yeah I dont see it either. for example for PS4 they sold through 10 million PS4 units by august of 2014. So for them to want to have manufactured that many by march if reports are correct means something.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Regardless of the name share and market share Sony has right now, launching base PS5 #1. over $499 & #2. higher than a more powerful* XSX would be a mistake. It would be shades of an overly ambitious PS3 in 2006 (which is still lampooned) and I would be shocked if that happens.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
No way Sony launches a console above $500 with their talk of getting people to upgrade at a rapid pace.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing that their source is from an internal Capcom estimate done based purely on looking at the specs (which is why DF was hitting upwards of $599). From what we've heard about the BoM from the Japanese guy with Sony knowledge and also the mass production of the console I doubt the minimum will be $560 lol.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Also Sony has always been aggressive with pricing with all their console. If the BOM is indeed around 450 there is absolutely no way the PS5 will be 549.
This. Nothing about $549 US would make sense. It's such a weird price unless they were undercutting a $599 X, changing the first number is the most important psychologically and they've also doubled production and repeatedly talked about getting people to move up quickly from PS4 to PS5.

Oct 29, 2017

Exactly. You don't ramp up production to 10 million for that type of price point.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for the clarification.

I just don't think your source is right. $549 doesn't make sense from a business perspective. Sony would just take that $50 loss to reach $499. It's an immensely important price threshold.
Moreover, we know from Bloomberg and Zhuge that PS5 is cheaper to build than XSX, so no reason to sell it for more.
yeah its somewhat easy to glean some idea based on the parts lists, i dont see it happening either, and the way sony has been closely guarding things with the console other than software related rumors, i dont think anyone but top brass has any idea of the price.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The problem is, Sony financial report states they expect to gain 4B in revenue and lose 600M in profit, so, unless the ps5 BOM is 550+, then the math doesnt check out, neither does the increase in production for 6M to 10M.
Never rely on guidance to indicate anything about pricing for a product in a company of this size. You can do whatever you want accounting wise to move the numbers.

Oct 25, 2017
yea just based on things we know based on their earnings and forecasts, them upping production of the PS5 to 10 million. I'm sorry, but if that price is real Jim is delusional lol. I doubt it though.

Ragona

Oct 26, 2017
Isnt BoM usually without taxes? I mean if Sony sells it for 500 in stores you have to subtract taxes and retail cuts.
iirc the article also mentioned Sony having trouble with memory prices and I figure the whole Covid situation doesnt make construction/ shipping any cheaper.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Anything above $500 would be a huge fuck-up from Sony and just like the PS3 would cause them to lose 10s of millions of sales, which in turn would hurt PS+ subs, 1st party software sales and overall software sales. Would be a gigantic fuck-up from Sony.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada

Ya, even announcing megaton 3rd-party exclusives won't help sell 10m~ consoles when priced north of $500.

Unless Sony legit managed to snag GTA 6 as a timed exclusive, lol

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing that their source is from an internal Capcom estimate done based purely on looking at the specs (which is why DF was hitting upwards of $599). From what we've heard about the BoM from the Japanese guy with Sony knowledge and also the mass production of the console I doubt the minimum will be $560 lol.
Would make sense and Capcom would be more "in the know" than most people here, but I don't think anything specific is locked down

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
$549 ps5

What the fuck
34788.jpg

lol

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
I assume this is talking about the PS5 with Disc drive? I'd be surprised if they sell for more than a Series X. As is, I'd be a bit worried about the Series S so if they come out with consoles that are both $450+, that's a hard sell for casuals

Status
Not open for further replies.