• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Every. Single. Time.
It's always about brand strength and the games. What's stopping the base xbox from outselling the competition when it's the the cheapest? lol

and by that logic the Series S will hurt the Series X because its cheaper. But that's not how things work. I fully believe the "premium" consoles will sell the best.

Kirudo

May 1, 2020
I am very excited to finally have price news, even if it is from the rival console, it is a very competitive price.

I would think about buying it, but I like sony exclusives too much.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yup people always underestimate the power of PlayStation branding Xbox have been cheaper virtually all generation it's not just about pricing you need strong software and strong branding.
yep, its the reason why sony and nintendo is pretty much in a class of their own, and i see it still being the case, still doesnt mean MS wont eat. But we've had many different flavors of them doing stuff and it still boils down to the content and the overall experience. People will pay if something is valuable to them.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
The reason the gen is so lopsided is because of PS4 regaining back market share from US/UK mostly. Xbox is not becoming significantly more popular in other countries that is heavily biased towards Sony/Nintendo because you can play FIFA/COD for $300. You can do that now.

The games that come out looking/playing different and that get people talking about next gen are IMO going to be the high-end machines. And I'm also dubious on just how big an improvement these first year and 2nd year games are going to be on S.

I mean you guys do realize animal crossing sold 20M units on machines less powerful than current gen. Switch ain't cheap, the controller ain't cheap, the games ain't cheap, it's not really b/c with anything and it's flying off the shelf.

software...
Yeah, I should have specified that I was talking about the Anglo-sphere, where the Xbox brand still has some decent mind share leftover from the 360 days. I'm just expecting MS to be a bit more competitive this gen, not that Sony is in trouble or anything.

Doesn't that crowd mainly go where there friends are since majority of casual games are MP
Yeah, that's part of the thing to consider as well. Especially with this gen being the first where a lot of people have large digital libraries going into the transition, I could still see people just sticking to the ecosystem that they already invested in, and their casual friends coming along.

Idk, it'll definitely be interesting to see play out.

I'm also wondering how many consumers who might otherwise be interested in the cheaper options are turned off by no disc drive. It'll be interesting to see the ratios in the long run. Being able to borrow, trade, and rent games is still a valuable thing on its own. I know my friends and I let each other borrow games all the time still.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I know you are jk but just want to chime in that retailers are not going to push XSS or PS5 DE come this holiday and the shipment for those will be way lower than the standard version. When Sony is ready to roll with 10 million PS5s during the launch period you know they are pretty confident with what they got.

I think retailers should make sure to have the product in store that people want.

I even think the PS5digital and the XSS will be produced in higher numbers then the counterparts, because those are the most affordable systems.
But i could be wrong on that, i'm kinda biased because im fully digital and everyone i know is fully digital.

Oct 25, 2017
If Halo had been coming out this Fall. That plus the $299 combo would be amazing. But their flagship title got delayed for who knows how long. Sony seems to still be on track to delivering a good launch and an amazing first year. I think Kena is going to shock a lot of people.

Also one thing I think a lot of people are forgetting. Sony secured the next gen version for GTAV for free for 3 months.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Got to read the 20 questions Emberlabs interview just now. Look forward to reading the article later today after work. Glad to see I have lots of new material/screenshots for my Kena OT.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Angie, could I ask you to edit a fishing hat for my Hulk Rot if you have time at some point?

kena_fishingrot.jpg

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
There's nothing shocking about the price. A cheaper price was discussed by everyone for a long time now. Sony knows the XSS would be a cheaper console like everyone else did.

Yet that didn't change people's perception about next gen. PS having the mindshare and most importantly the games.

What has changed besides social chatter just because it's finally announced? Nothing.

People jump to conclusions every time MS announces something.

This.
If anything this leak now mean Sony knows everything from their competition now.

And all this chatter about hardware is making people forget about why you buy these machines: to play games.
We all know most Sony games in development haven't even been announced. We know they have a lot they want to talk about. Once they come out and start bringing the house down with all their exclusives, 3rd party deals, a 400/500 price for true next gen, everything yet to be announced about the console's OS, etc...you know they got this.

Oct 25, 2017
I think retailers should make sure to have the product in store that people want.

I even think the PS5digital and the XSS will be produced in higher numbers then the counterparts, because those are the most affordable systems.
But i could be wrong on that, i'm kinda biased because im fully digital and everyone i know is fully digital.

IDK. While digital is on the rise I wonder how many people are solely digital. I buy mostly physical and dabble from time to time in digital purchasing. I can't ever go fully digital until they start matching the promotions and price drops physical games do.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Not sure why people all of a sudden think the series s represents some big threat to sony. Especially among casuals.

One defence that sony has kept onto, that they made damn sure to keep for this upcoming gen is the deep ties and deals with two of the biggest casual gamer titles on console, Cod and Fifa. Those deals alone played a not insignificant part in turning ps3 ars fortunes around for them and allowed them to recapture entire markets and capture them convincingly.

You want casual, cant get much more casual then the likes of fortnite and fall guys, that sony too struck deals with and helped move both hardware and psn subs a great deal.

I mean here in the uk, despite MS putting fucking firesales on its hw for YEARS now, and doing multi game bundles year in year out still the ps4 leads in sales. It just isnt about price. XB1S has been much cheaper then the slim for a long time now, XB1X has deals for a long period of time where it matched the ps4 pro price wise, still sony ran ahead massively this gen.

I mean damn, even in MS home country, the ps4 has outsold the XB1.

Sony in its current form resembles the likes of apple. Which frankly every company seeks to emulate in popularity, ecosystem, fan base and money making wise.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
IDK. While digital is on the rise I wonder how many people are solely digital. I buy mostly physical and dabble from time to time in digital purchasing. I can't ever go fully digital until they start matching the promotions and price drops physical games do.

That is why i said i might be wrong with the production numbers.
Physical has surely still its benefits.
I think the digital offers are getting better, but for new releases it still looks bad.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
yup the software and the experience on the console matters the most lol. hence just pushing hardware with no innovation other than power makes no sense, when you see the switch has tons of advances to someones experience, same will be true with sony updating the controller and improving the experience getting in and out of games. sure there are people price conscious etc, but for most people they look at more than just that.
IMO it shows the real innovators of the industry. I will always give credit to MS for easing development and xbox live (Even though Dreamcast was the real pioneer here, but MS built upon that foundation and online is a integral party of the industry now) but it's like they took the "Xbox is weaker" criticism and just went full steam ahead making sure that never got uttered again. Good on the hardware team, but there's so much more to gaming than releasing powerful tech. Sitting down playing Halo with 3 other friends and the first time I saw Gears of War and played it are still the highlights of playing on an Xbox for me. That's decades now lol...The controller looks identical to current gen, no evidence of how 2TF of more GPU matters has been displayed, everything is about the SSD and faster loading which is where PS5 is better. Like, I couldn't be less interested in next-gen Xbox after Halo came out looking like pee-pee-poo-poo. They gotta bring the games. Not tell me next-gen is about value...I decide what value is. I'd give Nintendo $15 a month if I could download Zelda botw2 and Animal Crossing. But it's not like that on Xbox.

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think it's absolutely a threat to Sony, and something they're going to have to tackle somehow. There's definitely a large sector of gamers who play games like FIFA and Call of Duty and will just plump up for the best deal.

Sony's going to be more expensive now, that's simply a fact, so they're going to need to demonstrate effectively why they're demanding a premium price point. I think the controller has absolutely been a factor these past few months, and is a real tangible difference that they've focused on a lot.
The best gaming deal this generation was the $299 Xbox and yet it was easily outsold by the more expensive Xbox One and One X and the PS4 and Pro. If price is such a huge deal why did that console not outsell everything in sight?

Im still waiting for someone to give me a legit reason why a $299 underpowered Xbox will somehow sell much better next gen than the $299 underpowered Xbox we had this gen.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Soo, the logic here is, Sony doesnt need to price the ps5 lower that 499 because is going to sell, but they need to build a new console in 1 year instead of pricing the ps5 DE at 399.

Honestly, sometimes a question this peopel logic.
Yep. Makes no sense. Launch for $499 and then drop the price a few months later in 2021? Nonsense.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I really don't get the ''Sony have momentum and mindshare enough to get away with the 599'' argument, like, what the hell Sony had in 2006 then?
IF for some reason the PS5 is 599, I am for sure being hoping that they don't get away with it, I don't want Sony to become an ''Apple of videogames''.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't get the ''Sony have momentum and mindshare enough to get away with the 599'' argument, like, what the hell Sony had in 2006 then?
IF, for some reason, the PS5 is 599, I am for sure being hoping that they don't get away with it, I don't want Sony to become an ''Apple of videogames''.
There's zero chance that the PS5 will cost more than $499.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Yeah, I should have specified that I was talking about the Anglo-sphere, where the Xbox brand still has some decent mind share leftover from the 360 days. I'm just expecting MS to be a bit more competitive this gen, not that Sony is in trouble or anything.
MS definitely will have a better year 1 and 2, they pretty much fixed everything with the brand before the gen was even over and now have a fresh start with good marketing. I just don't think they innovated in the correct areas, and largely it'll be a repeat of this gen. They pretty much already won back the US/UK, it's just that PS4 is just as popular again, whereas X360 that wasn't the case.

But as you said lot of factors to gauge the overall landscape of next-gen.

- How does Switch Switch Pro popularity factor in
- Will majority go for all-digital consoles?
- The "big game" that no one sees coming every gen, is it an exclusive this time around?
- Economy etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.