• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Xbox are clever for not announcing the price of X yet as many casuals on twitter think that S is the main console. Id suggest Sony to wait till after X price is announced to announce theres
I think they don't care now, they have the games, they have some reveals, they have the UI/features to show, and finally to confirm launch games, price and release date
The price of X won't matter after that especially now they can be sure it will be $499 for X

Little tease of the UI :
"They have a whole thing set up where you can do transition and it's very nice, but frankly it doesn't have time to play the animation. It just loads the game so fast"
So SONY planned something about that. Not "launch the game, fade to black, static game image and game launch".
Yeah that's good news, really want to show the UI

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
There's nothing shocking about the price. A cheaper price was discussed by everyone for a long time now. Sony knows the XSS would be a cheaper console like everyone else did.

Yet that didn't change people's perception about next gen. PS having the mindshare and most importantly the games.

What has changed besides social chatter just because it's finally announced? Nothing.

People jump to conclusions every time MS announces something.

Excellent post, all the mindshare is with Sony, and PS5 will outsell bith XSX and XSS easily.

Oct 25, 2017
"As for when, Ember Lab hasn't nailed down a specific release date, but you can expect to be playing it within a few months from now."

No delay in sight, nice!

Asapphire541

Oct 19, 2018
I think they don't care now, they have the games, they have some reveals, they have the UI/features to show, and finally to confirm launch games, price and release date
The price of X won't matter after that especially now they can be sure it will be $499 for X

Problem is if sony announce their price now, all what casuals will see is 299 vs 449/99 which isnt a good look. Thats why I think they should wait

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
As I said before, Sony is more likely to tether their price and release date announcements for a FoG-style event focused on what to expect on launch day. It seems like they have a lot of "holiday 2020" games, but they gotta just show us everything now and then rev up their marketing machine.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Even MS was wanting a big mic drop moment announcing the price in a event/live stream thing, I doubt that Sony will be reactive with this announcement since it happened due a leak.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Are those casuals even real?
I mean, those people that buy some console that is the cheapest without any information what games are there and so on?
I think there will at least be a segment of the casual crowd that just buys GTA, COD, and annual sports entries go with XSS for the price. Idk how many, but I could imagine a lot of that crowd going from 360->PS4->XSS.

Not saying Xbox will gain majority market share or anything, but I'm not expecting this new gen to be so ridiculously lop sided as PS4 v XBone, just because Xbox hasn't made a bunch of horrible decisions to start the gen with a ton of bad press like last time.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
LFG.

Kena made a very strong first impression. It's one of my most anticipated titles for the PS5. At the moment, its a day one title. Can't wait to read more tidbits about the gameplay, story and more.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's unlikely but I'm really hoping for that $399 digital edition. Should be a nice easy account migration that brings over your digital library and it's all fully playable on day one.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I wonder how other people are? I'm thinking about getting an Xbox early next year because of game pass, I do have game pass on PC right now (I have an average laptop) but this is what I've played this year:

Kingdom Hearts III (not on game pass when in January I think)
Kakarot (not on game pass)
Dreams
DOOM Eternal (not on game pass)
FFVIIR
Street of Rage 4 (played it on game pass)
Sea of Thieves (on game pass)
TLOU Part II
Ghost of Tsushima
Fall Guys
Captain Tsubasa (not on game pass)
FFXIV (not on game pass)

Games I want to try because of game pass:

Ori (started it but didn't play much)
Darksiders Genesis
Spiritfarer

It's like, it doesn't really save me money, it actually makes me spend more lol But yeah, the promise of potential great exclusives is there and I might save money on some small games.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Are those casuals even real?
I mean, those people that buy some console that is the cheapest without any information what games are there and so on?

I think it's absolutely a threat to Sony, and something they're going to have to tackle somehow. There's definitely a large sector of gamers who play games like FIFA and Call of Duty and will just plump up for the best deal.

Sony's going to be more expensive now, that's simply a fact, so they're going to need to demonstrate effectively why they're demanding a premium price point. I think the controller has absolutely been a factor these past few months, and is a real tangible difference that they've focused on a lot.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Fast early adoption, you will lock people in the next gen ecosystem soon.
Then what happens in a few years who knows lol.
I think there will at least be a segment of the casual crowd that just buys GTA, COD, and annual sports entries go with XSS for the price. Idk how many, but I could imagine a lot of that crowd going from 360->PS4->XSS.

Not saying Xbox will gain majority market share or anything, but I'm not expecting this new gen to be so ridiculously lop sided as PS4 v XBone, just because Xbox hasn't made a bunch of horrible decisions to start the gen with a ton of bad press like last time.

Well, i can see that.
Was a dumb question to ask if those casuals are real.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
The median salary in the US in 2019 was 19.33$/hour, according to the Economic Policy Institute. That's a shit salary, by all accounts. I suppose we're like the US, where there are a few states with a high standard of living (Washington DC, New Jersey, California) and some where the income is much lower. I mean, I can't complain I guess, but people in Portugal, Spain, Italy, they're gonna have a hard time buying this thing. I remember new games costing 70€ in Portugal, and a lot of people making like 600/700 eur per month. The poorer countries get the short end of the stick for sure, because in a lot of cases, prices aren't adjusted.
As a spaniard...fuck

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
One thing I want to highlight from the article about Kena is the developers compare the world design as being wide linear, with a central village acting as a hub.

This makes me very pleased. I'm happy games are returning to this type of world design. For a long while, especially through the PS360 era, games adopted a tunnel type of linearity. Whereas games in the N64, and to a lesser extent, PS2 era, were designed with hubs in mind.

We've seen a return to this type of world design with of course, Dark Souls, God of War, Uncharted: TLL, and others. Hype for Kena is definitely increasing. I feel like this has a great chance to be a sneaky GoTY contender.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I think it's absolutely a threat to Sony, and something they're going to have to tackle somehow. There's definitely a large sector of gamers who play games like FIFA and Call of Duty and will just plump up for the best deal.

Sony's going to be more expensive now, that's simply a fact, so they're going to need to demonstrate effectively why they're demanding a premium price point. I think the controller has absolutely been a factor these past few months, and is a real tangible difference that they've focused on a lot.
sonys whole draw has been about immersion so i think that is their biggest draw and definitely with the new controller and sounds like games loading in 2 seconds that is definitely can be a huge draw there, again its all about value proposition. i mean them selling that you pretty much are getting mobile phone app switching speed is pretty great.

One thing I want to highlight from the article about Kena is the developers compare the world design as being wide linear, with a central village acting as a hub.

This makes me very pleased. I'm happy games are returning to this type of world design. For a long while, especially through the PS360 era, games adopted a tunnel type of linearity. Whereas games in the N64, and to a lesser extent, PS2 era, were designed with hubs in mind.

We've seen a return to this type of world design with of course, Dark Souls, God of War, Uncharted: TLL, and others. Hype for Kena is definitely increasing. I feel like this has a great chance to be a sneaky GoTY contender.

i agree i like games that resemble a tree, branches but a main line to come to vs games designed like a flat surface alone. keeps you on the mainline but has little nuggets of exploration.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ

The reason the gen is so lopsided is because of PS4 regaining back market share from US/UK mostly. Xbox is not becoming significantly more popular in other countries that is heavily biased towards Sony/Nintendo because you can play FIFA/COD for $300. You can do that now.

The games that come out looking/playing different and that get people talking about next gen are IMO going to be the high-end machines. And I'm also dubious on just how big an improvement these first year and 2nd year games are going to be on S.

I mean you guys do realize animal crossing sold 20M units on machines less powerful than current gen. Switch ain't cheap, the controller ain't cheap, the games ain't cheap, it's not really b/c with anything and it's flying off the shelf.

software...

Oct 25, 2017
Also MS HAD to say something because their price announcement legit got leaked and everyone was talking about it. They either had to comment on reveal it was true.

I'm honestly not expecting Sony to retaliate and none of you should either. Sony is clearly following their own gameplan. That said I do think it's time to start talking only because you run the risk of leaks the longer you wait.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I like this as well. Open worlds can be cool but they also gotta have enough stuff going on to justify it. The game sounds wonderful.

Deleted member 66837

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 24, 2020

Doesn't that crowd mainly go where there friends are since majority of casual games are MP

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Well, it seems like the only hope for sony are the people that are invested into the PS4 echosystem.
They are done, beaten by a 4TF 299 product, who would have seen that coming.
/jk

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
sonys whole draw has been about immersion so i think that is their biggest draw and definitely with the new controller and sounds like games loading in 2 seconds that is definitely can be a huge draw there, again its all about value proposition. i mean them selling that you pretty much are getting mobile phone app switching speed is pretty great.

i agree i like games that resemble a tree, branches but a main line to come to vs games designed like a flat surface alone. keeps you on the mainline but has little nuggets of exploration.

What's interesting is how game development adopted super linear game design around the time discs became the new data streaming medium.

I think developers went in that direction due to technical limitations rather than creative decisions. Data management has gotten super good this generation. It's only going to get better and better with the advancements in I/O, SSD, and better and more powerful RDNA2 architecture.

We are in for a massive treat this generation. Can't effing wait.

Sora78

Jun 3, 2018
2UhonLA.jpg

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
The reason the gen is so lopsided is because of PS4 regaining back market share from US/UK mostly. Xbox is not becoming significantly more popular in other countries that is heavily biased towards Sony/Nintendo because you can play FIFA/COD for $300. You can do that now.

The games that come out looking/playing different and that get people talking about next gen are IMO going to be the high-end machines. And I'm also dubious on just how big an improvement these first year and 2nd year games are going to be on S.

I mean you guys do realize animal crossing sold 20M units on machines less powerful than current gen. Switch ain't cheap, the controller ain't cheap, the games ain't cheap, it's not really b/c with anything and it's flying off the shelf.

software...
yup the software and the experience on the console matters the most lol. hence just pushing hardware with no innovation other than power makes no sense, when you see the switch has tons of advances to someones experience, same will be true with sony updating the controller and improving the experience getting in and out of games. sure there are people price conscious etc, but for most people they look at more than just that.

Oct 25, 2017
And it has to be said. That's an amazing price point. There are caveats for sure; All digital, weaker spec wise, but for people who are hip to that it's a damn good entry point for next gen.

But games matter and we know Sonys first year they are being very aggressive. I mean hopefully getting Ratchet, MM, GT7, Demons Souls, Horizon as just first party offerings in the first year is very compelling. Not to mention the aggressive 3rd party deals.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, it seems like the only hope for sony are the people that are invested into the PS4 echosystem.
They are done, beaten by a 4TF 299 product, who would have seen that coming.
/jk
I know you are jk but just want to chime in that retailers are not going to push XSS or PS5 DE come this holiday and the shipment for those will be way lower than the standard version. When Sony is ready to roll with 10 million PS5s during the launch period you know they are pretty confident with what they got.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
What's interesting is how game development adopted super linear game design around the time discs became the new data streaming medium.

I think developers went in that direction due to technical limitations rather than creative decisions. Data management has gotten super good this generation. It's only going to get better and better with the advancements in I/O, SSD, and better and more powerful RDNA2 architecture.

We are in for a massive treat this generation. Can't effing wait.
i agree, devs will be able to create way more content for big games quicker, i see way more add on and expansions happening to games, thats why i see a lot of the compaines stressing on making development easier.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
This art style makes me wonder how another Sly would look like for PS4/5

oh well

Sweet dreams are made of these,
Who am I to disagree.

I feel like the age of mascot characters is over (until it inevitably makes a resurgence at some point in the future) from Sony FP. Ratchet und Clank is the biggest exception and that is because Insomniac, then not owned by Sony, still released R&C titles on PS3 and then PS4 to remain relevant. Crash came back in style because of how long the absence was as well as became a multiplat title.

Could we see a remaster/remake of sorts by external studio, however? Perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.