• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
No they didn't, they said no PS5 news in the PSVR stuff at 3pm BST every day.
"PS VR spotlight kicks off today"
"This week sees new reveals and updates on upcoming games, as well as a VR-focused PS Store promotion ."
"And as mentioned, this is all about the games. So to manage expectations, there'll be no PS5-related news. "

But I guess if you really wants to not believe it, you can find a way, sure.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Price really isn't everything. There's already been a $299 Xbox this gen which didn't really make that much impact sales wise. Not saying the Series S will be failure but this idea that a $299 Series S will outsell everything due to the price isn't true.
Yeah, I feel like the price talk assumes there's relatively equal interest in both platforms which isn't the case based on any known metric you can point to. At $399/$499, I'm pretty confident PS5 is sold out for it's first year on the market.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing about the S is that it's not the same console as the SX, unlike the DE (which is just missing the disc drive).

$299 is a good price point but you are getting a much weaker product.

So yeah, not sure if it will matter when all is said and done.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I feel like the price talk assumes there's relatively equal interest in both platforms which isn't the case based on any known metric you can point to. At $399/$499, I'm pretty confident PS5 is sold out for it's first year on the market.
yeah at least year 1/2 early adopters will be in no matter what, then once thats satisfied by that time they have enough leeway to do bundles etc.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Its not just about selling what you have though, its about convincing people to wait to buy your console instead of the other. If both consoles sell out what they have for over a year then that's a huge win for xbox, they'll be doing much better than last gen and likely taking some potential PS customers away.

bi0g3n3sis

Banned
Aug 10, 2020
February 25th :

www.resetera.com

PS5 and Xbox Series speculation |OT11| Cry Havoc and Let Slip the Dogs of War [NEW NEWS, NEW THREAD - CHECK OUT THE STAFF POST]

But that’s the thing we are not on GCN territory anymore. Would a 9TF RDNA2 console, if priced correctly in comparison to its competitor, be a bad one ? Specially in a world where people claim that a 4TF one would be a good option ? I mean in a scenario of 4TF, 9TF and 12TF separated by a US100...

Not only price but also TF baby 👀

10.3 for 399. Oh yes.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think it's like the end of the world, I just think it certainly gives them an avenue. That is a great price.

I honestly don't know why either manufacturer is targeting $499. That's a clear failure price point whereas Sony has proven a few times in a row that $399 was the right price point. It's like philosophies totally shifted this gen. I (as in MEEEE) am happy about it but I struggle to understand what happened.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Its not just about selling what you have though, its about convincing people to wait to buy your console instead of the other. If both consoles sell out what they have for over a year then that's a huge win for xbox, they'll be doing much better than last gen and likely taking some potential PS customers away.
Based on available data PS5 demand is at least twice that of Series S/X and this scenario where folks choose to switch to Xbox based on a $100 delta doesn't actually happen nearly enough to make an impact. It's right up there with the imaginary "confused grandma buys the wrong console" scenario.

At the end of the day, you have to want the games available on one platform over another.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Really people expecting PS5DE to be less than $399 aren't thinking logically. At 399 or 429 is more reasonable, and if 499 is for Series X, more than likely PS5 Standard is too, despite TF difference. There are additional factors DualSense being a major advancement over DS4, Xbox controllers haven't changed all that much with a few improvements but not as drastic as DualSense. The SSD is going to be a more expensive feature of PS5 but also you have some cheaper stuff bringing the BoM down. Realistically I see either 479/499 for Standard PS5 and 429/399 for PS5DE.

Oct 30, 2017

That looks fantastic.

I'm still a bit sad that Dreams is not a bigger success. I played around for a week or two and lost interest because it was just too complicated/time-consuming to create stuff and learn all the aspects of the creation tools.

MM really should have included an EASY MODE for beginners and casual users. With lots of presets, different video game genres with existing controls/UI/gameplay/animations etc. So everyone can quickly create a level/game in an hour or two (a modular construction kit)

Last edited:

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Based on available data PS5 demand is at least twice that of Series S/X and this scenario where folks choose to switch to Xbox based on a $100 delta doesn't actually happen nearly enough to make an impact. It's right up there with the imaginary "confused grandma buys the wrong console" scenario.

At the end of the day, you have to want the games available on one platform over another.
No data we have includes people with the knowledge of Series S being $299, which is a huge factor. And I think the $100 difference is quite large, last gen a lot of the reason PS4 started so well was because it was $100 cheaper, the other reasons were much smaller. I'm not saying it'll be a mass exodus of PS4 owners to Series S but Sony will lose a fair few customers and that's pretty big for them.

For Sony, with their strategy, every console sale is much more important to them than it is to xbox. Xbox still make a lot of money on PC and other devices due to their new strategy, while Sony pretty much need people to buy a PS console. So this gen losing any console customers to xbox is a much bigger loss than before. That's why even if its not a huge number of people, its a big deal. Sony have to be smart with this and not get caught out if they want to continue growing their PS division this gen.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
No data we have includes people with the knowledge of Series S being $299, which is a huge factor. And I think the $100 difference is quite large, last gen a lot of the reason PS4 started so well was because it was $100 cheaper, the other reasons were much smaller. I'm not saying it'll be a mass exodus of PS4 owners to Series S but Sony will lose a fair few customers and that's pretty big for them.

For Sony, with their strategy, every console sale is much more important to them than it is to xbox. Xbox still make a lot of money on PC and other devices due to their new strategy, while Sony pretty much need people to buy a PS console. So this gen losing any console customers to xbox is a much bigger loss than before. That's why even if its not a huge number of people, its a big deal. Sony have to be smart with this and not get caught out if they want to continue growing their PS division this gen.

It was a $100 cheaper but more powerful .
The PS4 was just better value which is a bigger point than price.
Which is why even when XB became cheaper it did not matter for the rest of the gen .
XSS being cheaper is nice but it being lower specs wise change the value game.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 was $100 cheaper and 50% more powerful. That's a far different scenario than one where you're $100 cheaper and have 40% of the power. Value is more than price and I'm not seeing a scenario where one gives up 95% of the same third party games available on both platforms along with Sony's exclusives so they can play The Gunk at 1440p (no offense to The Gunk).

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 was $100 cheaper and 50% more powerful. That's a far different scenario than one where you're $100 cheaper and have 40% of the power. Value is more than price and I'm not seeing a scenario where one gives up 95% of the same third party games available on both platforms along with Sony's exclusives so they can play The Gunk at 1440p (no offense to The Gunk).

Yep value is just as important as price .
If we break it down and lets say use Europe for eg and PS5DE is $100 more .
You are getting 2.5 times the power and 2 times the SSD speed that 256 GB more and add everything else ( games , controller etc etc )
The Value is nothing like what PS4 had over XB at the start of this gen .

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
It was a $100 cheaper but more powerful .
The PS4 was just better value which is a bigger point than price.
Which is why even when XB became cheaper it did not matter for the rest of the gen .
That's true but again for a lot of people its just price that matters, next gen is next gen as long as they get the latest games and can play with their friends they don't care. Early adopters are more tech savvy and care more about power for sure, but that starts to be less of an impact when you're looking at an insane value offer at $299.

Lots of people will still choose PS5 and hold out for it since it is much more powerful than Series S, especially if its less than $100 more expensive, but I think like I said lots will just go with Series S because its cheaper. Especially in an economic downturn where people are out of jobs and don't have as much disposible income. And again any lost sale for Sony is huge, they need people on their console to make money, xbox don't.

Value is usually more important than price, but for some people price just wins, and the Series S is arguably the best value anyway.

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
That ''cat and mouse'' ''chicken'' shits is not exist anymore. Sony needs to fire rockets.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
At this point are people really sitting on the fence and trying to decide between Sony and Microsoft? It seems like Microsoft has one vision for the company and gamepass and Sony has theirs.

I don't know maybe I am way out of the loop.

I play everything but didn't get an Xbox this gen. I do have gamepass on PC and its pushed me into getting the new series S for a living room box so my wife and daughter can play games on gamepass there!

I just think its a great time to be a gamer right now. I can't wait to get my PS5 pre-ordered.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
That's true but again for a lot of people its just price that matters, next gen is next gen as long as they get the latest games and can play with their friends they don't care. Early adopters are more tech savvy and care more about power for sure, but that starts to be less of an impact when you're looking at an insane value offer at $299.
Exactly. It's £250 in the UK. It plays all the games. It's cheaper than a Switch. I think the SS is going to sell like hotcakes, Microsoft have pulled a blinder and if Sony don't adjust they'll suffer.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

It was a culmination of factors. PS4 was cheaper, more powerful, didn't have the always online, drm sign-in stuff associated with it, borrowing/lending games on PS4 was easier/possible and also PS4 didn't force Kinect software and interaction on you. It was a bad call by MS and they redeemed themselves throughout the gen, slowly. It still burns as a bad memory with what Mattrick said that 360 was what people should get if they want to play offline.

299 is good for those who want cheap way into playing same titles as series X, but PS5 still has value with its no compromise on next gen games approach straight away. I can see a PS5/Series S being an appealing combo to many.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
The Xbox pricing news is fantastic news for PS fans. Random Tuesday stroke and you guys didn't even notice, lol.
Oh yeah I'm so excited. A more competitive xbox means we get more deals and better pricing from Sony. Its a win for everyone. I'd love to see series S take off and put Sony on the back foot.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I see we are in the "sony is doomed" phase.
I thought Phase 2 would be different.
/jk

Were people really expecting that a 4TF console is not cheaper then a 10something TF variable clock console?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Lots of people will still choose PS5 and hold out for it since it is much more powerful than Series S, especially if its less than $100 more expensive, but I think like I said lots will just go with Series S because its cheaper. Especially in an economic downturn where people are out of jobs and don't have as much disposible income. And again any lost sale for Sony is huge, they need people on their console to make money, xbox don't.

Value is usually more important than price, but for some people price just wins, and the Series S is arguably the best value anyway.

This gen XB has been much cheaper in places like Europe with bundles full of games for 6 years .
Yes price is the most important to some people the question is how many people only care about price and nothing else.
I don't think that section is as big as some think and in certain markets might not even matter .
Guess after Sony say they price we will be able to get a better idea .

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
/jk

Were people really expecting that a 4TF console is not cheaper then a 10something TF variable clock console?
They're not doomed by a long shot, but also, they can't ignore the competiton. Whether they like it or not, they are directly competing with the SS. They need people in their ecosystem. Every SS sale in a one console household could potentially have been a PS5 sale.

Khnjer

May 31, 2019
Theres too much going against a PS5 price/ preorder announcement this week...

They clearly said no PS5 news and that they would let people know ahead of time when preorder goes up.

As for an event, the whole month is stacked except next week and if im not mistaken shinobi said xbox is having an event next week..

October, here we go again...

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
/jk

Some people think these console were going cost so much that 299 seem cheap for next gen .
When really a good amount of us that follow tech were calling that price since we hear XSS specs over a year ago.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 DE $599
PS5 $699
PS5nack (a PS5 that looks like a Knack ) $999

Every system comes with a signed photo of Jim Ryan in a speedo.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
This gen XB has been much cheaper in places like Europe with bundles full of games for 6 years .
Yes price is the most important to some people the question is how many people only care about price and nothing else.
I don't think that section is as big as some think and in certain markets might not even matter .
Guess after Sony say they price we will be able to get a better idea .
Yeah its hard to say exactly how many people are in the camp of price being most important. Playing with friends is a huge one as well, which makes an early gen lead much more important. That's why I think Series S is such a danger to Sony, it gets more people into Xbox earlier in the gen and encourages their friends to get it too. A big reason XB1 struggled so much this gen is because of its poor first year giving away lots of 360 owners to PS4, then later on even if XB1 is now cheaper people buy a PS4 because that's where their friends are.

I think this is only really a worry for Sony in big xbox markets: US, UK, Mexico, Brazil. Mainland Europe, Asia etc. will still go heavily for PS5 no matter what.
PS5 DE $599
PS5 $699
PS5nack (a PS5 that looks like a Knack ) $999

Every system comes with a signed photo of Jim Ryan in a speedo.
Will we be able to break apart the Knack console into little pieces and combine it with other PS5nacks to make a big boy PS5nack Pro?

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
This is my plan. PS5 at launch. SS when enough Microsoft exclusives I care about are out.

This.

I'm happy for MS. A competitive MS is good for gamers. Sony has been very, very strong with their messaging for PS5. So far they have satisfied my very high expectations. I expect Sony will step up their game now that MS is gaining some momentum again.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
They're not doomed by a long shot, but also, they can't ignore the competiton. Whether they like it or not, they are directly competing with the SS. They need people in their ecosystem. Every SS sale in a one console household could potentially have been a PS5 sale.

So a race to the bottom to be succesful.
Maybe they should clock the GPU down, half the SSD space, make it smaller.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Theres too much going against a PS5 price/ preorder announcement this week...

They clearly said no PS5 news and that they would let people know ahead of time when preorder goes up.

As for an event, the whole month is stacked except next week and if im not mistaken shinobi said xbox is having an event next week..

October, here we go again...
Whenever Sony announces their details it will be overwhelmingly the biggest gaming related news in the moment. They don't need to react to what others are doing and they won't have to fight for attention.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Tomorrow sony is going to reveal the Playstation 0, it comes with absolutely nothing.
Price is
a5KMNWo.png

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I really don't want to make a separate thread on it if I don't have to, so I'll start here:

Does anyone have any experience with HDMI adapters for a PS2 Slim?
If so- any recommendations?

I've gotten my hands on a PS2 Slim and I just want to find the best way to use it with a modern TV.

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. It's £250 in the UK. It plays all the games. It's cheaper than a Switch. I think the SS is going to sell like hotcakes, Microsoft have pulled a blinder and if Sony don't adjust they'll suffer.

Games matter as well and MS is launching without it's megaton. I'm also interested to see how many people are truly ok with an all digital console. Many people still buy physical.

Either way each edition of both consoles is going to sell out for the holiday and if Sony has an amazing first year like everyone is saying. That's all that matters.

Kaleide

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Games matter as well and MS is launching without it's megaton. I'm also interested to see how many people are truly ok with an all digital console. Many people still buy physical.

I think this is one of the slight sticking points for the Series S - the people who buy it are probably not going to keep on top of the latest games
So they will be more likely to pick up games second hand or on sale in stores etc or on redbox and not having a disc drive might put some people off.

It will be a gamepass box though and I think thats going to be Xbox strategy for its marketing and promotion moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.