• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Next OT Name

• These Violent Bribes have Exclusive Ends

Votes: 38 4.8%
  • The One With the Price and Release Date. Maybe ¯\_(ツ)_/

Votes: 244 30.6%
  • Pre-register to be considered for |OT14|

Votes: 120 15.0%
  • Invitation Only

Votes: 37 4.6%
  • Not backwards compatible with OT10 or OT11, only with OT12

Votes: 62 7.8%
  • So anti-consumer you can't even pre-order

Votes: 68 8.5%
  • Silent but Violent

Votes: 229 28.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Siinova

Oct 29, 2017
Are yall really upset that Sony and MS are going to court 3rd parties for timed exclusivity? A practice they've been doing constantly especially with indie games?
Don't really care that much personally I'll just wait. There's plenty of stuff to play. I really want to try the medium for instance but I'm going to have to wait.

I'm sure it's annoying for others though.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes? Third party timed exclusivity is bullshit. It doesn't make YOUR platform more appealing, it just makes other platforms LESS appealing. Paying to screw over other people is something I will never support.

I mean that by definition make the platform more appealing and it clearly works. It's nothing new. I'd be fine with discourse surrounding the practice if people were consistent instead of turning it into console wars or justifying why one company doing timed exclusives is better than the others.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
This State Of Play seemed extremely unnecessary. On another note, Sony has done a poor job with their audience, everything that's not a blockbuster AAA game is met with general disappointment and critique. Tbf, most indies release on the platform solely because it's the hardware leader, indies were ignored for most of this gen and it shows.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Curious about what would fit this description. Final Fantasy for me was always associated with Playstation, so I wouldn't count that. Starfield is a new IP. Any game that WB will show this month don't fit that description too. I honestly can't think in many franchises that fit that.
Uhh..... Batman? lol

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I mean that by definition make the platform more appealing and it clearly works. It's nothing new. I'd be fine with discourse surrounding the practice if people were consistent instead of turning it into console wars or justifying why one company doing timed exclusives is better than the others.

I think it sucks whenever anyone does it. Sony paying to fuck over Xbox gamers, Xbox paying to fuck over Playstation gamers, etc. It's all bad. It doesn't make me want to buy a PS5 because they got a third party game "exclusive" for a year.

It makes me want to not buy that game.

dobahking91

Oct 26, 2017
Most likely FF XVI and Monster Hunter?

Those games are far off and Imran has referred to this as part of PS5's Year 1 lineup.

I'm wondering if Batman is among the games they locked up.

Damn, I could definitely see Batman fitting that description. We will see if it gets announced without platforms. Oh, man Era would burn.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
As I said on the other thread, it was a OK "event". Not so bad but not also really good, pretty much like every other State Of Play. But they really need to learn that they need to end this things with a heavy hitter.

And they still need to improve the communication to set expectations. Maybe they might need to reveal some games beforehand.

Oct 25, 2017
Imran said again today on Kinda Funny that we will "be surprised the games Sony has locked up for timed exclusivity." Said these games are "huge" and "widely accepted as multiplatform" and he is "excited to see where this conversation is in a couple months."

22:00, idk how to time stamp lol

Multiple games huh.

Btw, you get a timestamp from YouTube video when you right click on the video and there's an option saying "copy link from current moment" or something like that.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
As I said on the other thread, it was a OK "event". Not so bad but not also really good, pretty much like every other State Of Play. But they really need to learn that they need to end this things with a heavy hitter.

And they still need to improve the communication to set expectations. Maybe they might need to reveal some games beforehand.
They told us exactly what to except on twitter and the blog post. At a certain pointed the blame should be pointed elsewhere.

Oct 25, 2017

What? I think they set the expectations perfectly for this SoP.

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
Imran said again today on Kinda Funny that we will "be surprised the games Sony has locked up for timed exclusivity." Said these games are "huge" and "widely accepted as multiplatform" and he is "excited to see where this conversation is in a couple months."

22:00, idk how to time stamp lol

That Sony warchest
wow.png

make a thread lol

Oct 25, 2017

Huh? They literally told us what the event was going to be about. They couldn't have set better expectations. Yall just for some reason expect some megaton announcement with these things or they'll end on "oh one final" thing all the time. They tweeted out what would be here. That's what we got. IDK how you get better communication here. Nintendo has many directs that aren't world shattering, but they are solid. This was solid. Showed some very interesting games and good variety. I absolutely love how Sony is showcasing indies again.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Godfall looks solid enough. Seems like something that could maybe use an extra year in the oven to enhance animations and such. It also gives off kind of a "indie trying to seem AAA" vibe.

It'll be a fun launch game. All it needs to be.
Pretty much. It could use a little oomph but I think it looks potentially fun. It's good to have another MP game that's not first person.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
What in the fuck was that State of Play? What couldn't have been shown off in a few blog posts over the course of a week? I'm so sick of waiting around for PS5 news. JFC

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
They told us exactly what to except on twitter and the blog post. At a certain pointed the blame should be pointed elsewhere.

What? I think they set the expectations perfectly for this SoP.

Huh? They literally told us what the event was going to be about. They couldn't have set better expectations. Yall just for some reason expect some megaton announcement with these things or they'll end on "oh one final" thing all the time. They tweeted out what would be here. That's what we got. IDK how you get better communication here. Nintendo has many directs that aren't world shattering, but they are solid. This was solid. Showed some very interesting games and good variety. I absolutely love how Sony is showcasing indies again.

Still, there are a lot of people complaining that they wanted to see bigger games and that these State Of Plays are a waste of time.

They definitely need to put the words Indies, Third Party, Short, Small or something like that in the titles of these events. Nintendo Direct Indies (Nindies) already set expectations just on the title.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got to watch the state of play. Bugsnax definitely was fun to see more of. Pathless looks really neat/gameplay. Never played Spelunky but 2 seemed really interesting. Animu of the Wild was pretty nice to see too.

I've give it a B-

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so excited for Tem Tem, been holding off buying the EA on steam for awhile as I wanted to wait until the console laumch. Didn't expect it to get a PS5 confirmation so soon.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
My take on the State of Play

Most interesting games:
  • Crash 4
  • The Pathless
Most beautiful games:
  • Crash 4
  • Aeon
Surprise of the Show:
  • Hitman Trilogy VR
Talking 'bout:
  • Bugsnax
Disappointment of the Show:
  • Godfall
I'm really sad for Godfall. The game looks like God of War but way more easy, attacks lack weight and different from GoW, it seems to be a button smasher. The final boss battle where he slams his weapon on the ground and all we hear is a metal glint was the hype killer. I guess they can fix that... I mean, if you are doing fast combat... Take a page from Bloodborne? I don't know. I was expecting a more chaotic gameplay, with lots of trades and great damage dealt and given.

Oct 25, 2017
Still, there are a lot of people complaining that they wanted to see bigger games and that these State Of Plays are a waste of time.

They definitely need to put the words Indies, Third Party, Short, Small or something like that in the titles of these events. Nintendo Direct Indies (Nindies) already set expectations just on the title.

No they don't. They literally told us in a tweet and blog post what to expect. If anyone expected otherwise they either didn't pay attention or willfully ignored what was said. That's on them. IDk how these are a waste of time when you just had 90k watching on twitch. Tell all those devs these are a waste of time.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017

It definitely looked like there was another one of those panels after Godfall and the whole thing ended fairly abruptly.
It really felt like something was cut at the last possible moment.

Yup thought the same, this is how the September 2019 SOP ended:

rbPTfiN.jpg

www.youtube.com

State of Play | 24th September 2019

Tune in to State of Play for around 20 minutes of news, including new game reveals, new content from PlayStation’s Worldwide Studios, and a host of other upd...

In today's show there was another space to the right.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
What in the fuck was that State of Play? What couldn't have been shown off in a few blog posts over the course of a week? I'm so sick of waiting around for PS5 news. JFC

You sound entitled? Sony clearly stated what the sop is for, but OK rage on it's the new hip thing to do on the internet.

As for the sop, saw some really interesting games and can not wait to try hitman in VR.

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
The good thing about that SoP was the amount of real gameplay each game showcased.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Since my PC broke and Switch is my only platform I'm gonna have the world's biggest backlog come November with all the titles only coming to PlayStation and all the PS4 titles I've missed
- God of War
- HZD
- Bloodborne
- Last of Us
- Spiderman
- Red Dead Redemption 2
- Uncharted 1 to 4
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider
- Outer Worlds
- Jedi Fallen Order
- Resident Evil 7
- Crash Bandicoot 4
- Fall Guys

and Spelunky 2!

Certainly enough to cover any drought of releases post launch
Jeeeeezus

You'll have a big enough backlog to last you well into 2021, lol

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Are yall really upset that Sony and MS are going to court 3rd parties for timed exclusivity? A practice they've been doing constantly especially with indie games?
Absolutely. Marketing rights, and even some exclusive DLC is "whatever". But paying to keep a game off of a rival console is bullshit and both Sony and Microsoft should be called out for it.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Crash 4 looked so much fun too, hopefully it'll be the first crash game I'll be able to beat.

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe Call of Duty reveal got cut? As they're doing it in Warzone now in a couple of days.

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. Marketing rights, and even some exclusive DLC is "whatever". But paying to keep a game off of a rival console is bullshit and both Sony and Microsoft should be called out for it.

Call out the publisher. Why would Sony or MS care about any of that. They want you on their platform and will do what they can to get you there. Get mad at the publisher accepting i.

Tupac_Senpai

Jan 5, 2020
Yes? Third party timed exclusivity is bullshit. It doesn't make YOUR platform more appealing, it just makes other platforms LESS appealing. Paying to screw over other people is something I will never support.

Ok I get you hate it but what you said is false. Millions of people literally bought a PS4 for early COD map packs lol. FF7 Remake moved PS4 units.
If it wasn't working, best believe Sony and MS would not be doing it.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Thought it was a great State of Play considering I didn't really know what to expect based on the statements they'd made prior. I actually really enjoyed it.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
so we are in agreement here, something definitely got cut. wonder what it could have been

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Not really, since I usually have all 3 platforms. Last time I was upset about it was when RE4 was GC exclusive so I had to buy one. And then they announced it for PS2 lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.