• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Hope they do but I'm not expecting much. Maybe a couple of games but I doubt they will be day of release.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
sony has a stake in epic now. i fully expect any ports going forward to be EGS exclusive.
Their stake in Epic is about 1.4%. As shown with Horizon being released on Steam, that investment wont really impact their PC plans.

I'd be stunned if Sony decides to ignore PC's biggest storefront because of such a small stake in Epic.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
Maybe you express your view poorly, as evidenced by the number of people who took it the exact way I did.

You literally said your Playstation feels less valuable if PC players have access to the games
Agree that I could have elaborated more since the post clearly caused confusion. I will do so below. That being said:

I did not literally say this. Full stop. You and other posters inferred this. Feel free to bold anything you'd like.

If Sony put their games on PC, I would likely play them there, or at least consider playing them there instead of PlayStation. Hence, the PlayStation console loses some value to me. This is the simplest way I can possibly put it that is true to my original reply.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
If Sony puts their games on PC, even a few years after they release on console, I will be going PC + Switch only. Would be amazing

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Their stake in Epic is about 1.4%. As shown with Horizon being released on Steam, that investment wont really impact their PC plans.

I'd be stunned if Sony decides to ignore PC's biggest storefront because of such a small stake in Epic.
It also doesn't make sense, EPIC would pay for "exclusives" (probably a lot more than $50m depending on what Sony port, they have some huge fucking games, I'm sure EPIC would jump at if offered). Sony investing in them for a small stake, so that potential future games being EGS exclusive gives them probably next to unnoticable gains is just stupid. Nevermind that the EPIC investment wasn't a PlayStation thing, but more for Sony Pictures and Music.

If Sony's games go EGS exclusive, it's far more likely due to EPIC paying for them.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Agree that I could have elaborated more since the post clearly caused confusion. I will do so below. That being said:

I did not literally say this. Full stop. You and other posters inferred this. Feel free to bold anything you'd like.

If Sony put their games on PC, I would likely play them there, or at least consider playing them there instead of PlayStation. Hence, the PlayStation console loses some value to me. This is the simplest way I can possibly put it that is true to my original reply.
Your words?

When I buy a PlayStation, part of the value comes from the fact that I now have access to great games that I do not have access to elsewhere. If those games are available on other platforms with superior versions, that's a direct reduction of value from my standpoint.
Sounds like you should be taking out your frustrations on console manufacturers. They create exclusive games to enhance the console value proposition to us, the consumer. Their entire objective is that we see the value in that.

I don't even need to argue this, your post from the Godfall threads paints the picture of what "value" in exclusivity is to you:

I would prefer to see one full year of Xbox players not having access (better value for PS5 owners), but 6 months is good too.

These are your words. Own them.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Yes please! It's been a little frustrating seeing Miles Morales asking if we want raytracing OR 60fps, knowing that my PC could do both.

I would love to see more PlayStation games look as good as they possibly can, like Death Stranding and HZD in ultrawide.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Sounds good to get more of the Sony exclusives on PC. If they start coming day dot or even close to 6 months after launch on PS5, I would be less likely to get the next generation after this one and just invest the money saved into a better PC

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sounds good to get more of the Sony exclusives on PC. If they start coming day dot or even close to 6 months after launch on PS5, I would be less likely to get the next generation after this one and just invest the money saved into a better PC
That's exactly why Sony should not be doing this. They don't want to be merely some third party publisher on Steam.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
That's exactly why Sony should not be doing this. They don't want to be merely some third party publisher on Steam.
But they are not going to be? Like what? I mean for a whole variety of reasons, launching their games on PC is not going to hurt their business (in fact it will add to it) yet alone be the death of the console and they will be relegated to a third party publisher on steam like you make out.

People will still buy consoles - them moving their library onto PC will not kill their console business - it hasn't for Xbox and it won't for Sony. Xbox first party has been killing the steam charts lately and it would be easy money to chuck on some of their exclusives. Sony very likely don't make any money (in fact they would likely either make only a slight profit or a slight loss) from me if I purchased a PS5 at launch, they would be happy that more users can purchase their software.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Good, now bring Bloodborne to PC.

I seriously do not understand how that hasn't been announced yet. Considering the popularity of Souls games on PC, you'd think it's a no-brainer.

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
People will still buy consoles - them moving their library onto PC will not kill their console business - it hasn't for Xbox and it won't for Sony.

This is an unproven argument tbh. The Xbox One had a problematic launch, despite being poised to have exclusive content. It was roughly mid-gen that MS initiated their Play Anywhere program. As a result, it's unclear whether their console business was notably affected by the latter. The Series X/S are launching with a lot of positive word of mouth as well as the clear message that all first-party games will launch simultaneously on PC. If it's successful, and by that I mean if it achieves Xbox 360-like success, the "people will still buy consoles" argument would certainly hold merit.

Last edited:

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
This is an unproven argument tbh. The Xbox One had a problematic launch, despite being poised to have exclusive content. It was roughly mid-gen that MS initiated their Play Anywhere program. As a result, it's unclear whether their console business was notably affected by the latter. The Series X/S is launching with the clear message that all first-party games will launch simultaneously on PC. If it's successful, and by that I mean if MS is able to achieve Xbox 360-like success, the "people will still buy consoles" argument would certainly hold merit.

They're clearly different markets - there will be an effect, for sure, but there will always be a majority of people that prefer the convenience and TV-centric aspects of console gaming (not to mention the cost).

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Yup, the high end PC market is pretty small, especially on the high end. I hope Sony don't waste too much time and effort pandering to it.

7.5 million at 50 dollars per game factoring in the 30% revenue split with Steam (just ignoring the existence of EGS for now) would mean around 200,000 sales. This was the most wishlisted game on Steam prior to its launch. It sold more than that. They are clearly saying the "aggressive" pricing on Horizon (50USD as opposed to 60USD) netted them an estimated 7.5 million than they would have expected with a full price release. This is why the sentence with the 7.5 million figure mentions that it's based on an analysis.

The admittedly not so reliable SteamSpy has it at 500-1000k sales, so even using their most conservative estimate and not factoring in things like EGS or the tiered revenue model on Steam would give around 18 million in revenue so far.

Edit: I'd update the title because it's clear people defensive about exclusives are not quite understanding what's going on because of it.

Last edited:

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
If they port Bloodborne does that mean I'd get to use the network features without paying for fucking PS+? That'd be sick.

Kutaragi

Sep 3, 2020
ITALY
50M dollars business?

The reported 716k copies of Horizon should be around 25M alone. I guess PC business is much more profitable for Sony.

Jul 25, 2020
I could actually see Sony really beefing up their PC offerings. Once their major exclusive titles start to peak on PlayStation before starting to fade in sales they can add an extra injection of life by releasing them on to PC with the hopefully expected graphical options. I could even imagine AMD and Sony partnering together to show off new and upcoming GPU's playing Sony titles such as Horizon or something then saying it'll come optimised for AMD cards and you'll get a download code for the game when you purchase the card. Makes sense. Sony and AMD continue to develop their relationship.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Your words?

I don't even need to argue this, your post from the Godfall threads paints the picture of what "value" in exclusivity is to you:

Ooph. I don't see how this user could think their words could be viewed any other way. They literally say that exclusive access is part of the value of a console and that having the games available elsewhere is a reduction of that value . . . And that they wish Godfall was exclusive for longer. Then they say other users are misinterpreting what they said? Uuuuh, what?
Yup, the high end PC market is pretty small, especially on the high end. I hope Sony don't waste too much time and effort pandering to it.
The PC market generally doesn't take shit. Horizon was an absolutely abysmal port at launch. Estimates for Death Stranding actually put it well above those estimated Horizon numbers and at a higher price despite it being a more niche game. Why? Because the port of Death Stranding is excellent and the port of Horizon straight up sucks.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
Your words?

This was a painfully obvious dry sarcastic joke about how meaningless timed exclusivity is. Which I've also stated before.

But it's all good. I will be sure to include plenty of */s* and *I own and play multiple platforms* disclaimers from now on so as not to rile anyone up. Exclusives are clearly a sensitive topic.