• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While it's great for pc to get ps games, would be great if many of The top pc games were compatible with the ps5, such as tarkov, squads, arma, csgo, ect....
Steam and ps combining, whether on ps5 or pc.

One can dream.
That would be actually pretty cool. Maybe when PSVR2 gets released and Valve releases Alyx there they'll get a partnership or something.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
But the value of the console doesn't' "decrease" by having their games on PC. The costumer base between PC and console isn't the same, despite what you read around here.
Sure it could. It depends who your're talking to. When I buy a PlayStation, part of the value comes from the fact that I now have access to great games that I do not have access to elsewhere. If those games are available on other platforms with superior versions, that's a direct reduction of value from my standpoint.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
These casual games selling more on consoles doesn't mean that they don't sell on PC especially with games like witcher 3 and souls that Sold more than PS or equal to PC on PC. The point is AAA games not on the casual side, often sell a lot on PC even if they don't sell more than PS and the hardcore gaming crowd on PC is less likely to shift to any console because of the vast differences in both experiences on either ecosystem.
the guy said that there are 40 million player right now that already have a poweful PC, I replied that if that was true none of them would play FIFA or COD (for example) on PS, since they could buy them at a lower price and play them with better settings and with free online

Yes TW3 (that still sold more on PS4 in the first year) is one of the exceptions (in the AAA market) that sell more on PC (you can count BGS games for sure), but PS is a much more popular platform overall.
The majority of people will never build their own PC or buy an overpriced pre-built one instead of a PS, only streaming can change that, but that has nothing to do with actual PC ports

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
That's a pretty small slice of pie.

That number has the potential to become huge, which is what they want obviously. The problem is getting there would require a fundamental shift in strategy. Pumping out meh quality 3-4 year old ports is not a stellar strategy. You'd need to put ample resources into ensuring quality ports as the PC community generally has high standards in this regard. Then, you'd need to consider launching closer to the console release a la RDR2. Then of course you gotta market it.
I think Sony still needs to incentivise people to use the PS5 as their main console and buy their third party games there. A delay of only one year makes it too easy for people to say "I'm just gonna buy a 400$ graphics card and then I can play Xbox games and PC exclusives too".
I'd bet we'll see 2-3 years and super prestige titles like the Naughty Dog games will never be on PC or only after a very long time.
That being said, I am with you that the quality of the ports needs to be better if they want to sell them at full price at a time when the PS version has dropped to under 20 bucks. They should consider how hard it will be to port a game when they build/modify their first party game engines already.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
It definitely does decrease the value prop of purchasing a console if you have a PC. Why purchase a console when you can play it on PC? Sony wants to drive their hardware AND software sales. So I foresee them doing exactly what they are doing now. Releasing select PC ports later down the line. I'm not arguing with you that there is a market in the PC space for their first party games. I'm saying, from everything we know about their console business, it doesn't make sense that they would, all within one year, go from the way they are releasing with PC games now to Day 1 releases of their flagship titles.
Sure it could. It depends who your're talking to. When I buy a PlayStation, part of the value comes from the fact that I now have access to great games that I do not have access to elsewhere. If those games are available on other platforms with superior versions, that's a direct reduction of value from my standpoint.
Both of you seem to think that PC players would buy a PS assuming the PS exclusive games are good enough.

I find that idea hard to believe. With most PC players playing at 1080p and having GPUs that cost 100-200€ i don't believe they would be willing to "waste" 200-400€ on a console + the online subscription. Both of you seem to be thinking that despite most PC players not being able to afford a good GPU and/or a >1440p monitor that somehow would be able to afford and buy a piece of hardware + subscription to just play a handful of games yet won't do so for their main platform.

The way i see it the players that buy PC and consoles are very few in number. For example less that 10% of steam users play above 1080p. Only 2% play at 4k. Only these users could affor to buy a console. Even than how many of these 10% of players would buy a console? like 1440p users (6%) won't/can't buy a 4k screen yet could they really afford a console + subscription?

The way i see it most of the current PC market (>90% of steam users) can't afford/won't buy a console. Yet they still could be paying for the sony games assuming sony can out-hype or/and have a good product VS the PC competition. Lastly a PC version is "forever" and sony can keep selling their catologue "indefinitely" having some constant money stream.

Obviously Sony is probably too big to get a porting studio/teach their staff ready in 1 year but IMO not releasing at the same time on PC and console is wasting the already great marketing that sony already does. If SOny can get their hype to work not only on console but on PC sony can easily push a lot of software, specially on PC side where great WoM can make a game sell for a long time.

A bit off topic, Frag Waffles ; personally your comment is extremely distasteful and, IMO, offensive. If a product values is depend on depriving others of their access is, IMO, extremely mean and in many cases harmful to the poorer society members. I can't imagine how you feel you are better served because some company restricts acess to a product instead of the company making their product better than the competition.
I'll be blunt and say you are going into my ignore list. I find it distasteful that you prefer to gate poor people out of an ecosystem so you can have better value/more fun. If PS isn't worthwhile to you without exclusives maybe the problem is the hardware? not the lack of exclusives?

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
Both of you seem to think that PC players would buy a PS assuming the PS exclusive games are good enough.

I find that idea hard to believe. With most PC players playing at 1080p and having GPUs that cost 100-200€ i don't believe they would be willing to "waste" 200-400€ on a console + the online subscription. Both of you seem to be thinking that despite most PC players not being able to afford a good GPU and/or a >1440p monitor that somehow would be able to afford and buy a piece of hardware + subscription to just play a handful of games yet won't do so for their main platform.

The way i see it the players that buy PC and consoles are very few in number. For example less that 10% of steam users play above 1080p. Only 2% play at 4k. Only these users could affor to buy a console. Even than how many of these 10% of players would buy a console? like 1440p users (6%) won't/can't buy a 4k screen yet could they really afford a console + subscription?

The way i see it most of the current PC market (>90% of steam users) can't afford/won't buy a console. Yet they still could be paying for the sony games assuming sony can out-hype or/and have a good product VS the PC competition. Lastly a PC version is "forever" and sony can keep selling their catologue "indefinitely" having some constant money stream.

Obviously Sony is probably too big to get a porting studio/teach their staff ready in 1 year but IMO not releasing at the same time on PC and console is wasting the already great marketing that sony already does. If SOny can get their hype to work not only on console but on PC sony can easily push a lot of software, specially on PC side where great WoM can make a game sell for a long time.

A bit off topic, Frag Waffles ; personally your comment is extremely distasteful and, IMO, offensive. If a product values is depend on depriving others of their access is, IMO, extremely mean and in many cases harmful to the poorer society members. I can't imagine how you feel you are better served because some company restricts acess to a product instead of the company making their product better than the competition.
I'll be blunt and say you are going into my ignore list. I find it distasteful that you prefer to gate poor people out of an ecosystem so you can have better value/more fun. If PS isn't worthwhile to you without exclusives maybe the problem is the hardware? not the lack of exclusives?
You shouldn't take to Steam hardware survey so seriously. It's opt in and most people don't opt in anything these days. The 4k number is way off since the Steam survey won't detect a 4k TV unless it's your main display.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017

Actually this isn't my assumption at all. I'm saying that Sony knows there is a demographic of gamers that won't buy their consoles and are fine with that. My argument wasn't against Sony porting games but that they will NOT be porting their exclusives Day 1 with PC by next year. I stand by that argument.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Actually this isn't my assumption at all. I'm saying that Sony knows there is a demographic of gamers that won't buy their consoles and are fine with that. My argument wasn't against Sony porting games but that they will NOT be porting their exclusives Day 1 with PC by next year. I stand by that argument.
misread what you said. I thought you said sony wouldn't port day 1 ever. My bad. I apologize for the misunderstanding .

You shouldn't take to Steam hardware survey so seriously. It's opt in and most people don't opt in anything these days. The 4k number is way off since the Steam survey won't detect a 4k TV unless it's your main display.
Maybe i'm wrong but i don't think that the numbers would be that far from the mark that we can just dismiss the survey. The most played video games on PC usually all have low specs required.
Do you think most football manager players have 4k screens and >2070 GPUs? i doubt that. but i think sony can grab some of them if their games are on PC, specially with steam refund policies where you can try a game and if it doesn't run well you can refund it.

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
These are some very strange takes from people that don't make sense. And just feel very short sighted overall. There is a reason why these companies are making billions of dollars and you are well being an arm chair person.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
$50 million? They really going all in then.

I expect God of War: Ragnarok to be day 1 on PC. Would explain why they haven't been transparent about its platforms.
This seems hilariously silly right now. They haven't been transparent about the platforms because it's a first party game and they've only shown a teaser, lol.

It's a system seller. No shot it launches on PC day 1.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
$50 million, in the context of porting costs, is actually plenty for a lot of high quality ports to PC.

Here's hoping spidey makes it, I'd love to be able to play it without compromises.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I wonder is Sony will shift to PC and slowly transition out of the console space. PS6 could just be a software app for PC.

I mean they are losing games via MS' acquisitions with more to come and then they plan to port their games to PC. That leaves PS5 and future consoles on a weak state to a point people really won't need to buy a Playstation.
If ps5 sells well, there will still be a ps6 I am sure, no matter what.

Ps7 though, we cant predict that far ahead.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
I think you just misunderstood my post.

I would typically prefer to see more games across as many platforms as possible. The more options the better.

Sounds like you should be taking out your frustrations on console manufacturers. They create exclusive games to enhance the console value proposition to us, the consumer. Their entire objective is that we see the value in that.

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
$50 million? They really going all in then.

I expect God of War: Ragnarok to be day 1 on PC. Would explain why they haven't been transparent about its platforms.
PlayStation exclusives are console sellers. Sony is paying for third party exclusives too, timed or otherwise. GOW2 on PC day one is simply not happening. 1-3 years later, it may happen.

But older games like Bloodborne and anything pre-2018, I could see them hitting PC soon enough.

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
It definitely does decrease the value prop of purchasing a console if you have a PC. Why purchase a console when you can play it on PC? Sony wants to drive their hardware AND software sales. So I foresee them doing exactly what they are doing now. Releasing select PC ports later down the line. I'm not arguing with you that there is a market in the PC space for their first party games. I'm saying, from everything we know about their console business, it doesn't make sense that they would, all within one year, go from the way they are releasing with PC games now to Day 1 releases of their flagship titles.

PC costs money. Console costs less money.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
The way i see it the players that buy PC and consoles are very few in number. For example less that 10% of steam users play above 1080p. Only 2% play at 4k. O

This is already thinking of it entirely wrong. Many people on the low end also have consoles. My PC is an i5 6600k, 1050ti, 16gb of ram. I use a 1080p/60hz monitor. I buy consoles and play on PC.

People on the lower end are more likely to buy consoles over high end because they care less about the extreme top end and what PC can do over consoles.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
If their future PC ports are shoe string budget and quality like Horizon then that $50m will go very far lol

delete

Jul 4, 2019
I really expect a ps5 and pc Bloodborne remaster, the PC crowd would eat that title up.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
eFfmdb3.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
as a consumer, the only reason to not want sonys games on pc is for "mah exclusives doe!!"

it would be a great thing.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
Theyre gonna announce Bloodborne for PC, and with it the next gen patch for BB which will bring dynamic 4K 60FPS. PC will receive all the same enhancements. Patch will release in Q1 2021 and Bloodborne PC in the Summer. Thats my bet.

Edit: And itll be exclusive to the EGS for 6 months.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
What the hell kind of take is this?

I spend a bunch of money on my PC and I'm not about to purchase a Playstation unless I run out of things to play on PC . . . which, I won't.

There's a small selection of Playstation exclusives I'd play, if they were available, and a couple that I would buy day one if they were put on PC. Not enough for me to buy the console when my PC backlog is already so massive, but a few that I would purchase if they were available.

There's plenty of other PC gamers out there like me.

What value do you get from us not having access to those games?

They're Sony's games and they obviously call the shots. I'm not upset if they choose not to put them on PC. However if they look at it and find it's a money making opportunity and decide to put them on PC that would be better for you because it means they're making more money that they can then invest into more studios and more games.

EDIT: Thinking more about it. I have a brother who would buy Bloodborne day one. I have another brother that will definitely be checking out MLB The Show when that hits other platforms. I have a friend who bought Detroit Become Human day one on PC. They're all budget PC gamers who aren't about to run out and buy any console. It's a big market.

Last edited:

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
People need to chill out and treat Sony ports on PC as pleasant surprises rather than inevitabilities. Then you avoid being disappointed.

I say this as someone who pre-ordered HZD on Steam and played for nearly 150 hours over 2 months to 100% it. I would appreciate an opportunity to play more Sony games on PC; I'm not gonna complain if it doesn't happen, cause there's far too many games to play anyway. I liked the world and gameplay of Horizon enough that if Forbidden West reviews well, I'd be eager to play a PC port; but I'm not gonna invest in a console and a TV to play it.

Sony's gonna do the math; a bunch of insiders have been saying that Horizon is just the beginning.; we'll see--that's all there is to it. Don't over-hype yourself, plenty of stuff to play in the meantime.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
There are a lot of weebs on PC, things like Gravity Rush etc would do well on there.
This is actually a great idea Gravity Rush on PC would be perfect, can imagine the modding possibilities etc

I don't see Sony making Gravity Rush 3 after the sales of 2 which wasn't great and Japan Studios apparently rumoured to work on other games inc director of Gravity Rush

So putting both Gravity Rush games on PC would give the IP life

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
You must be one of those people who prays for Sony to make studio acquisitions, just because others can't have the stuff anymore.

How badly did the Zenimax deal hurt your soul?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Nope. Never said anything like this. Maybe understand the context of my original reply, or see #118 for more!
Maybe you express your view poorly, as evidenced by the number of people who took it the exact way I did.

You literally said your Playstation feels less valuable if PC players have access to the games, because they'll play better, then in the follow up post said we should blame the manufacturers for creating that exclusive game value proposition in your mind.

Do I really need to quote and bold the sections of your posts which contain those very words for you? I don't think so because others already have.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Huh.

I was one of the ones who bought HZD on steam instead of for my PS4 pro, but I'm surprised they made that much from it (if true).

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If Sony consistently releases all their games on PC, that's that for Sony and Xbox consoles and then it's just PC and Nintendo for me.